Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,904 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Some Tips About Living In Uk - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Tips About Living In Uk (56487 Views)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 25, 2023
Mindlog:

No, they daily clear their shelves off of products going by the dates on the pack. For example that pack of grape I attached, needed to be sold by yesterday the 24th March and shouldn't be found in the supermarket today being 25th, reason that they had to sell it at that give away price yesterday evening else na complete waste to them.

If you like buy am put am for your fridge for the next one month, e no concern them again.šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

So one can buy things on clearance sales and import them to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Mindlog: 9:34am On Mar 25, 2023
Thanksful:

So one can buy things on clearance sales and import them to Nigeria

Clothing, shoes etc but not food.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 25, 2023
Mindlog:

Clothing, shoes etc but not food.

Thanks. Do you know if they have such a place in Germany?
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Tonytonex(m): 9:40am On Mar 25, 2023
I love this. Apt.
Thanks!
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Mindlog: 9:41am On Mar 25, 2023
Thanksful:

Thanks. Do you know if they have such a place in Germany?

I don't have any idea.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by geniusaustin(m): 9:49am On Mar 25, 2023
Threesha:
SOME TIPS ABOUT LIVING IN UK

Iā€™ll like to prepare your mind as a married man that when you get to UK,thereā€™s higher chance for you to baby sit, ook, dishes, change pampers, get the kids set for school, etc. Itā€™s better to get yourself acquainted with this ahead.

This is not to ridicule your personality, they are things you might need to do to keep the family running. And as the wife, have it in mind that you might not get to live that luxury life of ā€œmy husband is responsible for family upkeepā€nah. Living in UK, you are meant to complement each other in every aspect.

Accommodation in UK isnā€™t a joke, if you are single, I advice you to look for single room en-suite or studio, furnished, all bills inclusive. Renting two bed apartment if itā€™s just you isnā€™t advisable. Check Spareroom,on the market, zoopla, Rightmove or Facebook market for rooms to let.

Pending the time youā€™ll be able to buy your desired item(s),check out Facebook market for cheap or free preloved/new items such as;furnitures,mattresses, beddings, kitchen utensils and the likes (I got my microwave on Facebook market for Ā£10 and itā€™s as good as new).

However, be careful so as not to be scammed,I advice you do pay on delivery/pickup. Register with Olio aswell for free items(both new and preloved) including foodstuffs within and outside your area.

You might not be able to open standard bank until few months later, you can register with online bank like Monzo or Revolut to carry out your transactions, itā€™s easy & safe to use. Also, register with Lemonade if you want to change Ā£ to #, easy to use as well with no charges apply.

Coming across different people with different cultural backgrounds, itā€™s advisable to ask individual what and how they would like to be addressed. Donā€™t make assumptions, people get offended if they are addressed wrongly.

Be time conscious, if you are to resume work by 19:00 to relief others, ensure you arrive few minutes earlier. The person you are to relief at work also has childminder or husband at home to relief for work as well.

Donā€™t try to force or change your accent while communicating. The more you change or force British accent the more you make communication difficult for everyone. Speak gently and clearly, believe me, they will hear you more than faking British accent. And if you canā€™t hear them, in a polite way ask them to speak slowly and gently so you can understand & they would be glad to do so.

Job wise, donā€™t be selective at first, get yourself something legit doing, all jobs here are stressful, at least youā€™ll be able to update your CV for future sake. I hope you get what I mean.

Let the words ā€œPLEASE AND THANK YOUā€ be your favourite quotes daily, it goes a long way and they might pave way for you.

Donā€™t engage in gossips, they donā€™t keep secret here, whatever you say will be used against you later on.

If you have BRITISH HEART FOUNDATION store around you, they sell nice stuffs as low as Ā£1, pop in there and minimise your spending.

Stay tuned for next post.
Moyisola

On Point!
I will start all these here in naija.
Charity begins at home.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by FireUpNow(m): 9:50am On Mar 25, 2023
Naija sef nah rock. Life is really crazy
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 25, 2023
Mindlog:

I don't have any idea.

Ok thank you
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 25, 2023
Uglyman029:

LoL. I saw crows2ravens post and I laugh too. Maybe he doesn't know most Nigerians here earn less than Ā£2500...
All those quoting me saying it's a lie.
Of course, care and support is unskilled work.

I will use an example, a single guy living outside of London. Assuming you work in the same city where you work. These figures are as close to actual as possible. If you live in UK and and I'm wrong, bring us actual figures!

Let's say you earn Ā£1,800 monthly:
Tax + NI - Ā£400
Rent (studio flat + bills) - Ā£600
One month bus ticket - Ā£55
Food and groceries - Ā£100
Car finance, e.g. Audi A1 - Ā£227 (down payment is around Ā£2k plus)
Total monthly expenses - Ā£1,382
You still have Ā£418 for other expenses and savings. But anything else you spend on will be wants not needs.

Council tax Ā£80 if it's not included in your rent.
The UK guys don't want us to come and flood the place for them.

PROPEACE:

Oga, living on minimum wage..
Cmeo:
Abeg who is deceiving this poster??...
SavageResponse:

Don't mind that guy, he has never been to the UK...

3 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Tinubuwillnotru: 10:18am On Mar 25, 2023
SavageResponse:

Which yeye work?

No be caregiver work where person go dey pack oyinbo people shit? angry
are they not paying well? My sister's friend is a care giver.. she's building a mansion in the village at the moment.. most of us are just lazy.. are we not washing toilet Here? I once worked in chicken republic.. most times i see poo on the floor and I have to clean up.so what's the difference

4 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:32am On Mar 25, 2023
prophetwis:
Still wonder why someone who can afford a comfortable life in Nigeria ,will nearly turn to a beggar all in the name of relocation.
As in ehn! My moms landlord owns 5 houses he still left Nigeria to UK, what do you call that

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Isabi4lov: 10:33am On Mar 25, 2023
N3TRAL:

Alpha male no mean say make man no lash or treat a woman well.

I'm not married. I'm a bachelor having a good time.

I be Alpha male - facts.
If you don't have self control or self diginty you're not one .

As an alpha male, not every pvssy is entitled to your gbola , you don't go about sleeping with just any how ladies , just because you want to lash .

You lashing a lady is different from taking care of her . You can lash your woman as you want and still not care for her needs.

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:36am On Mar 25, 2023
StreetFight:

It's worse in UK. I no wan talk
off your mic
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by shaybebaby(f): 10:36am On Mar 25, 2023
crows2ravens:

All those quoting me saying it's a lie.
Of course, care and support is unskilled work.

I will use an example, a single guy living outside of London. Assuming you work in the same city where you work. These figures are as close to actual as possible. If you live in UK and and I'm wrong, bring us actual figures!

Let's say you earn Ā£1,800 monthly:
Tax + NI - Ā£400
Rent (studio flat + bills) - Ā£600
One month bus ticket - Ā£55
Food and groceries - Ā£100
Car finance, e.g. Audi A1 - Ā£227 (down payment is around Ā£2k plus)
Total monthly expenses - Ā£1,382
You still have Ā£418 for other expenses and savings. But anything else you spend on will be wants not needs.

Council tax Ā£80 if it's not included in your rent.
The UK guys don't want us to come and flood the place for them.
You forgot to add:
1) Car insurance: let's say about Ā£50p/m
2) Road tax: Ā£15
3) Broadband: Ā£30
4) Petrol/ diesel : assuming you don't drive the car often: Ā£100pm
5) Mobile Phone: Ā£30

So that's Ā£418-225=Ā£193

No much left after that.

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:39am On Mar 25, 2023
True one of my commander went there and was complaining bitterly how things have changed in UK
Tvoice:
The cheapest close in UK are as follows

Primark

Bench

Etc u nor add all dis ones šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜

UK is overrated abeg, its no longer what it use to be

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:43am On Mar 25, 2023
GIDIBANKZ:
Abeg oā€¦. If i wor come UK come hustle, which kind UK visa i qo apply for??
Student visa
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:44am On Mar 25, 2023
GIDIBANKZ:

Itā€™s expensive i swearā€¦ā€¦.i will need about 6 to 7million
last year it's was 11m, I did a thread about it hold 15m

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Nobody: 10:45am On Mar 25, 2023
cool
shaybebaby:

You forgot to add:
1) Car insurance: let's say about Ā£50p/m
2) Road tax: Ā£15
3) Broadband: Ā£30
4) Petrol/ diesel : assuming you don't drive the car often: Ā£100pm
5) Mobile Phone: Ā£30

So that's Ā£418-225=Ā£193

No much left after that.

Thank you very much! This too have proven my point that life is much better in the UK.

Can 300k salary in Nigeria give one a life as good? You have security, light n generator, fuel, police harassment problems, unreliable internet, etc, and your 2010 model car "check engine light" is probably on forever!

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:46am On Mar 25, 2023
nedekid:

I think the suffering is relative.
Usually it is with people that just get there, especially without money and have to scratch from the bottom. Over time their status improves. The good thing over all is that their kids get to go to proper quality schools. Even over time when the kids get naturalized, the sky is the limit. They have acess to student loans to enable them study what ever course.
Rent to me is the highest cost. I think food is quite cheap compared to their earnings. Another crazy cost too seems to be transportation and taxes. One drives within London and by the time you get home and open your computer, so many bills. Just for driving oh. Congestion charge, emissions charges etc, God helps you if you beat traffic light.
I think the ultimate is if one can find a business to setup. One of two of my paddies have such. They are living the good life. Wakeup anytime, go to the office at their convenience etc. But they have paid their dues. Over 24 years in the UK.
This is the way to go even in Nigeria after working for 5yrs minimum, start a business.

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:47am On Mar 25, 2023
shocked
RaptorX:
African marriages don't last in the UK, except in rare occasions.
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Goalnaldo(m): 10:48am On Mar 25, 2023
QuinModah:
unfortunately it took months before this hit fp, there's something wrong with the mod
hi lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:49am On Mar 25, 2023
Richbillal:
Ur tips are nice and easy to understand, do you have any other channels were you post stuff like this. Please how far about fashion (tailor) in the UK IAM a tailor and good at my work but no resurces to establish my self
Find Canada thread or look for this monicker "oyindamolah" and read about her Canada journey

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:50am On Mar 25, 2023
Okay, we don hear! Oya shift!
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by CountLaka(m): 10:50am On Mar 25, 2023
Gossip
Faking of accent
Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:51am On Mar 25, 2023
paskal16:
is canada a preferrable option than the uk in terms of standard of living ,taxes,expenses and what not,,,,.
Yes

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:53am On Mar 25, 2023
INDUSTRIALFAN:
depends on where in the UKā€¦ I live in Aberdeen in a really good neighborhood (Broomhill Road) . Rent I pay for 2 bedroom is Ā£550, bills (light and gas Ā£180)
Na people wey de London de sweat all those hardships.
Most especially central London

1 Like

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 25, 2023
If you drink regularly, money will not remain in your hand. One bottle of Jameson, Martell or Jack Daniels is like Ā£30-35. Buy one every week and in a month Ā£120 is gone!
One small bottle of beer is like Ā£4-10. A naija shayo guy will drink 6-8 bottles every Friday night. Same money gone every month.

3 Likes

Re: Some Tips About Living In Uk by QuinModah(f): 10:54am On Mar 25, 2023
Aduke96:
Good info.....God bless!

I have been applying for care assistant job for some months now through sponsorship visa, unfortunately no positive responses.
Can you guide me on how to get a sponsorship visa for a care job?
Use the teacher visa to enter. There's a thread about it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Lagos Features In City Of Johannesburg Campaign, Online Comments Turn Nasty / Welcome To Tanzania / Meet Flt Lt Piyo Piyo, The Co-pilot Of The Crashed King Air 350 In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.