Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,432 members, 7,954,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:54 AM

EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes (8743 Views)

Why Did EFCC Refuse To Investigate The Following People? / EFCC Wants To Force Arrested PDP Spokesman, Metuh, To Write Statement — Fayose. / EFCC Wants SSS To Handover Dasuki For Questioning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Beaf: 10:37pm On Aug 16, 2011
[size=14pt]EFCC condemns demands for huge tithes in churches[/size]
By Kunle Johnson4 hours 3 minutes ago

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday in Calabar tasked religious leaders to show more concern about sources of huge tithes received from members of the congregation, if the war against corruption is to succeed in the country.
Chairman of the anti-graft agency, Mrs. Farida Warizi, who gave this charge at a one-day interactive seminar on economic and financial crimes for state senior executives in Cross River State, said it has become the practise for corrupt government officials and dubious members of the public to pay huge sums as tithes to religious bodies without being asked the source of the wealth.
Waziri, who was represented at the seminar by the Head, Strategy and Reorientation, EFCC, Mr. Gabriel Aduda, said religious leaders should find out if the huge funds paid by members as tithes were legitimately earned.
“Prosperity must come legitimately. I feel a responsible pastor should know where the tithe of his worshiper is coming from. How and where did you make the money that you are bringing in as tithe? It is not enough for your member to bring in a huge amount and you say- God bless you, no.
“Pastors should be responsible through their members (who are top government officials, members of the public) to want to know how they make money they bring to church. So, it goes beyond just preaching prosperity, they should let the people know that the religion is beyond that. For any soul to prosper it means that soul must be in right standing with the principles that God had laid down by doing the dos and refusing the don’ts,” she added.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/16137-efcc-condemns-demands-for-huge-tithes-in-churches.html
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Beaf: 10:38pm On Aug 16, 2011
It would be useful to find out if some churches are set up specifically to launder money.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Sunofgod(m): 10:39pm On Aug 16, 2011
Haha - the priest should turn informer. cheesy

Silly EFCC - Priest will always dine with the devil.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by globalaid(m): 1:03am On Aug 17, 2011
useless talk. what does she know about christian faith. any silly can just proffer a solution because they are at the helm of affairs.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by beejazzy(m): 1:27am On Aug 17, 2011
the moment pastors start to querry the source of a tithe the very second the payer will seize to pay, and i dont think theres any pastor that would want to loose his paying customer to our efcc, wake up abeg
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by youngmonie: 2:27am On Aug 17, 2011
Rubbish, its simple , 10% of ur income so what the issue there. Tithe is a personal thing betwen you and God. One doesnt have to worry what the church does with the money. Once you know you have cleared yourself.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by KayDee4: 2:31am On Aug 17, 2011
Na wah ooooo

From KYC (Know Your Customer) in the Bank to KYC (Know Your Congregation) in the Church.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by chelseabmw(m): 2:34am On Aug 17, 2011
lo @ post
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Kobojunkie: 2:48am On Aug 17, 2011
Beaf:

Waziri, who was represented at the seminar by the Head, Strategy and Reorientation, EFCC, Mr. Gabriel Aduda, said religious leaders should find out if the huge funds paid by members as tithes were legitimately earned.
  “Prosperity must come legitimately. I feel a responsible pastor should know where the tithe of his worshiper is coming from.  How and where did you make the money that you are bringing in as tithe? It is not enough for your member to bring in a huge amount and you say- God bless you, no.
“Pastors should be responsible through their members (who are top government officials, members of the public) to want to know how they make money they bring to church. So, it goes beyond just preaching prosperity, they should let the people know that the religion is beyond that. For any soul to prosper it means that soul must be in right standing with the principles that God had laid down by doing the dos and refusing the don’ts,” she added.

Isn't this like the FBI demanding that community centers make sure that all their donors earn their wealth legitimately? Since when Pastors become IRS people? If EFCC and IR Service did it's job, many of these people will not have so much money to put forth in the first place. Abeg, Waziri, go put mouth for something else . . . I don't know . . . your job!
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by kingsle66(m): 2:54am On Aug 17, 2011
grin HaHaha i think d efcc and Cbn are trying in a confuse way, let's admit it we didn't learned finish from our white master we just drop out when he was abt to teach us balance figure.nw u see d result -- f9 no +++ in economic melt down.grin HaHaha i think d efcc and Cbn are trying in a confuse way, let's admit it we didn't learned finish from our white master we just drop out when he was abt to teach us balance figure.nw u see d result -- f9 no +++ in economic melt down.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by egift(m): 3:11am On Aug 17, 2011
EFCC and CBN will not concentrate on their jobs. They are just hoping this madness will stick, nonsense. If they catch anybody with ill wealth let the prosecute the person, but to dream of policing religion is pathetic.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Nobody: 3:26am On Aug 17, 2011
@kobojunkie. Churches are by no means even close to community centers. How many charitable projects do Nigerian billionaire pastors execute?
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by tpia5: 3:30am On Aug 17, 2011
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday in Calabar tasked religious leaders to show more concern about sources of huge tithes received from members of the congregation, if the war against corruption is to succeed in the country.

the huge revenue accrued by militants and boko haram nko?

might be harder going after oil bunkerers when you know they will finish you.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Aug 17, 2011
Brand_new:

@kobojunkie. Churches are by no means even close to community centers. How many charitable projects do Nigerian billionaire pastors execute?

I have no clue what you are trying to get at. Community centers, in most areas, are managed by non-profits -- churches are non-profits. The essence of all this is to make it clear that it is not the Church's or the Pastor's duty to ensure money earned by those who attend, are made through legitimate means.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Nobody: 3:40am On Aug 17, 2011
Confused Waziri can only confuse d simple minded . . .

She thinks a politician who loots will feel church account with it in the name of tithe? u mean if i'm a politician and my game succeeds 5 times in a year and 5 times in a year i run to the church to throw a massive tithe? nay Mrs EFCC, my pastor will suspect. . . our politicians know better . . . they'd rather give it as a different donation to the church (if at all they do) because one day rumours could be circulating and pastor might tend to believe.

Tithe reflects income; donation could be money that was raised or money already that has been yours all along.

@Brand_new, how exactly can they ensure?
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by hercules07: 4:42am On Aug 17, 2011
Waziri is speaking sense for the first time, I am sure that some churches are used to launder money (mosques too), religious leaders have a responsibility ( a moral one) to be clean, community centers do not promise you heaven and are no moral authority.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by opata(m): 4:48am On Aug 17, 2011
Hope I don't sound like a Christian apologist, but do Mosques and Islamic bodies check the wealth of its members (some of who are Government officials) who build mosques, sponsor hajj trips, feed almajaris and imams and generally do the dictates of their religion?

Farida needs to watch and balance her arguments. EFCC knows where to find criminals and should focus properly, abeg.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by xpagnol: 5:09am On Aug 17, 2011
smiley wink ;religious leaders should find out if the huge funds paid by members as tithes were legitimately earned.
“Prosperity must come legitimately. I feel a responsible pastor should know where the tithe of his worshiper is coming from. How and where did you make the money that you are bringing in as tithe? It is not enough for your member to bring in a huge amount and you say- God bless you, no.

And she thinks its possible.This woman self. u mean u couldnt catch them from their offices again and your believe that foolish pastors as you would think will risk their church accoount for your confused and corrupt corruption acclaimed fighting. please somebody should wake this woman up now. farida just tell me you didnt say this bullshit, i dont really have time for real
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by mastro: 5:27am On Aug 17, 2011
Much as I dislike the whole reality of what tithing has become, I really don't think it's the govt's business what individuals do with their money. Though if the churches were truely places of God they would be asking these questions themselves.  angry

What EFCC should do however is where people are convicted, as part of the asset recovery ask the churches to return stolen money (like that will ever happen)
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by misterh(m): 5:46am On Aug 17, 2011
Fighting corruption should not only be left in the hands of the EFCC, it should be a collective responsibility. But EFCC should do its own homework first.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by TenKobo1: 6:33am On Aug 17, 2011
Gone are the days of honest priests in Nigeria, the days of the orthodox churches in their pure and simple glory. Their hospitals were free for the whole community, the schools they brought were dedicated to nurturing minds, where they were not free, they were affordable to the poorest. The priests were like fathers to the whole community. Some were Europeans, men and women who left their flourishing countries to spend their whole lives serving God and humanity in remote villages. Many died and were buried in the church compounds, their bodies unseen by the families they left in distant nations. Those were the true warriors of the faith, not the fake bunch that are swimming all over the land these perilous days. Roaring lions in fake priestly garbs, looking for whom to devour, Wolves who burst in fake tongues at every fleeting second but the works of their hand says the opposite. ‘Spiritists’ who see demons in everything, who magnify the power of demons and plant the belief in the gullible that God wrestle with Satan. Money-grabbing gluttons who abandoned the single goal of Christ in pursuit of their own destructive aims, Reversed Robin Hoods who plunders the poor to benefit the rich. I wish the EFCC will push for a bill that will make Churches and Mosques to declare their accounts to the tax man and extend the crusade against corruption to the pulpit.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Jakumo(m): 6:51am On Aug 17, 2011
Nigeria's EFCC anti-corruption agency, and the all-reaching FBI, would do well to thoroughly investigate Pastor Eunuch Adejale Adebole and his money-laundering "church", which has become the standardized conduit for looted Nigerian government cash that needs to be spirited to Europe and the Middle East, via the "Holy Spirit" MODALITY.

Praise the Lord, and pass the handcuffs.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by luluosas(m): 6:54am On Aug 17, 2011
Ten Kobo:

Gone are the days of honest priests in Nigeria, the days of the orthodox churches in their pure and simple glory. Their hospitals were free for the whole community, the schools they brought were dedicated to nurturing minds, where they were not free, they were affordable to the poorest. The priests were like fathers to the whole community. Some were Europeans, men and women who left their flourishing countries to spend their whole lives serving God and humanity in remote villages. Many died and were buried in the church compounds, their bodies unseen by the families they left in distant nations. Those were the true warriors of the faith, not the fake bunch that are swimming all over the land these perilous days. Roaring lions in fake priestly garbs, looking for whom to devour, Wolves who burst in fake tongues at every fleeting second but the works of their hand says the opposite. ‘Spiritists’ who see demons in everything, who magnify the power of demons and plant the belief in the gullible that God wrestle with Satan. Money-grabbing gluttons who abandoned the single goal of Christ in pursuit of their own destructive aims, Reversed Robin Hoods who plunders the poor to benefit the rich. I wish the EFCC will push for a bill that will make Churches and Mosques to declare their accounts to the tax man and extend the crusade against corruption to the pulpit.
I concur.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by luluosas(m): 7:08am On Aug 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I have no clue what you are trying to get at. Community centers, in most areas, are managed by non-profits -- churches are non-profits. The essence of all this is to make it clear that it is not the Church's or the Pastor's duty to ensure money earned by those who attend, are made through legitimate means.
I can't believe my eyes, seeing what you are spewing out. So, if I am a 419, it shouldn't be of interest to my pastor. This is terrible!
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by luluosas(m): 7:09am On Aug 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I can't believe my eyes, seeing what you are spewing out. So, if I am a 419, it shouldn't be of interest to my pastor. This is terrible!
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 17, 2011
kay-one:

Confused Waziri can only confuse d simple minded .   .   .

She thinks a politician who loots will feel church account with it in the name of tithe? u mean if i'm a politician and my game succeeds 5 times in a year and 5 times in a year i run to the church to throw a massive tithe? nay Mrs EFCC, my pastor will suspect.   .   . our politicians know better .   .   . they'd rather give it as a different donation to the church (if at all they do) because one day rumours could be circulating and pastor might tend to believe.

Tithe reflects income; donation could be money that was raised or money already that has been yours all along.

@Brand_new, how exactly can they ensure?

I believe she (Waziri) was being tactfull in not coming all out with the allegation that some churches are setup to help launder money.

globalaid:

useless talk. what does she know about christian faith. any silly can just proffer a solution because they are at the helm of affairs.

People like you make this country worse off by the day.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by agitator: 7:25am On Aug 17, 2011
misleading thread title

plus efcc is dumb, nigeria system always blame another person/entity for your failures or reluctance to do the right thing
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by islamrules(m): 8:05am On Aug 17, 2011

Why cant these Northerners do their work and leave Pastors/Churches out of it.
Are pastors forcing people to pay tithe. If one church is forcing you, go to another church.

And pastor should be asking them about the source of their income.

Is that what God told them to do ?

This is Christian faith, dont mend into it.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by llexie: 8:17am On Aug 17, 2011
[b]Nigeria's EFCC anti-corruption agency, and the all-reaching FBI, would do well to thoroughly investigate Pastor Eunuch Adejale Adebole and his money-laundering "church", which has become the standardized conduit for looted Nigerian government cash that needs to be spirited to Europe and the Middle East, via the "Holy Spirit" MODALITY.

Praise the Lord, and pas the handcuffs. @Jakumo
[/b]

Jakumo or what our name is been called. I want to believe you lack understanding and manners. People like you confuse the entire society with your stupid Waziri that was unable to probe a single person since her resumption as efcc chair.

I have no doubt that your level of understanding is zero and you need a touch from the same man you are trying to stain.
Pls watch your input on things like this.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by sweetgala(m): 8:20am On Aug 17, 2011
[/quote]
opata:

Hope I don't sound like a Christian apologist,

You sound like one, the church shld be responsible in developing honesty and ensuring that a moral standard is kept, waziri might be attacking from the wrong angle thou

[quote author=Ten Kobo link=topic=737427.msg8940705#msg8940705 date=1313559224]
Gone are the days of honest priests in Nigeria, the days of the orthodox churches in their pure and simple glory. Their hospitals were free for the whole community, I wish the EFCC will push for a bill that will make Churches and Mosques to declare their accounts to the tax man and extend the crusade against corruption to the pulpit.

This is the simple solution to this problem, the tax agencies need to declare all religious bodies as charity and NGO and thereby exempt them from direct tax except VAT (because a lot off these sell goods and services)
declaration of thier accounts would allow efcc to go over their accounts and make them accountable. I must agree that nigerian churches are the perfect money laundering venture because they are accountable to no man
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by mckane1: 8:38am On Aug 17, 2011
It is God that gives wealth. Any Pastor that refuse to preach holiness to his congregation and admonish them not to soil their hand with dirty money will end up in hell.
Re: EFCC Wants Churches To Investigate The Sources Of Huge Tithes by cinzo: 8:46am On Aug 17, 2011
FARIDA WAZIRI SHOULD JUST FACE HER JOB AND LEAVE CHURCHES ALONE!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#ondodecides: Eyitayo Vs Jimoh Appeal Court Update / FAAC: FG Shares N610.36bn Allocation To Three Tiers Of Govt. In Feb / Hanifa Abubakar: I Won't Hesitate To Sign Death Sentence Of Killers - Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.