Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? (11457 Views)

The Lack Of Adequate Employment In Nigeria / Lack Of Jobs Makes People Stay In Jobs That Destroy Their Mental Health. / Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by occfx: 5:43pm On Oct 13, 2022
Vinnie2000:
I Visited a town close to Ughelli in Delta state.

Within 5 mins of walking, I Had passed by 3 Hair Dressing and Make up Outfits with Young teenage Apprentice Girls wearing Customized Uniforms..

Each of dem had 8 or 9 Girls each!... shocked sad

It now dawned on me that Most Young Nigerians (Both Male and Female) from 16-25 years of age NO LONGER WANT SALARY JOBS. sad

During my Time in 2005/2006, All of us were Rushing to Find jobs as Salesboy, SalesGirl, Newspaper Vendor, Pure Water Factory worker, etc..

But now, Young Boys and Girls wants to be OGA AND MADAM..
You often hear even 20yr olds saying 'I Cant do N40000 Jobs, I want to have my own Business, I Cant kill myself for Chicken change, Work na Suffer head'.. undecided

SO IF THIS TREND CONTINUES IN THE FUTURE, WHERE MOST YOUNGLINGS NOW WANTS TO BE A BOSS/ ENTREPRENUER, WHO WILL WORK FOR WHO?

WILL THE EXISTING COMPANIES SEE WORKERS TO EMPLOY

WHY ARE MOST YOUNG PEOPLE NO LONGER INTERESTED IN WORKING?
Please I Need Reasons.

It's just a way the economy is trying to balance itself. Employees are treated like trash and if they talk oga or madam will sack them with impunity. So, the message is clear, there are more jobless people in the society than companies or employers. Therefore, if everyone becomes a business owner, laborers will be scarce and the few will be appreciated and rewarded handsomely. As Peter Obi is coming, everybody will be engaged one way or the other. The worst place to work is Nigeria currently. No job security, no plan for laborers. In fact they are seen as slaves and second class people. In the west, everyone is treated with respect even cleaners. There should be dignity in labor not laboring till you die.

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by MNDY(m): 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2022
Honchoslim16:

U-Digg is fye.

Those guys got mad Lyrics....... Crazy bars!

Those guys are good!

"...shake my head but he really wanna cut my throat"
- U-DIGG
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Originalsly: 5:57pm On Oct 13, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Within 5 mins of walking, I Had passed by 3 Hair Dressing and Make up Outfits with Young teenage Apprentice Girls wearing Customized Uniforms..

It now dawned on me that Most Young Nigerians (Both Male and Female) from 16-25 years of age NO LONGER WANT SALARY JOBS. sad

During my Time in 2005/2006, All of us were Rushing to Find jobs

Please I Need Reasons.

Is it they don't want salary jobs? Did you pause to think if salary jobs are available to them? ... and if yes... conditions of employment? ... salary and hours of work? ... would they be paid on time?
Your time was a different time ... a different mentality. You were programmed to be an employee ... and many today have that same mentality... no alternative ... you must be hired... or remain unemployed... self employment is not an option. The young people you saw are like so many others .... taking options. ... self employment. Many more are at home ... graduates.... doing nothing to earn an income ... waiting for yearsss hoping to be an employee.
These.young people are seeing pride is a setback in this rat race called life.... in your time your peers wouldn't do such... job of an illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by ukaface(f): 6:04pm On Oct 13, 2022
Vinnie2000:

During my Time in 2005/2006, All of us were Rushing to Find jobs as Salesboy, SalesGirl, Newspaper Vendor, Pure Water Factory worker, etc..

You often hear even 20yr olds saying 'I Cant do N40000 Jobs, I want to have my own Business, I Cant kill myself for Chicken change, Work na Suffer head'.. undecided

SO IF THIS TREND CONTINUES IN THE FUTURE, WHERE MOST YOUNGLINGS NOW WANTS TO BE A BOSS/ ENTREPRENUER, WHO WILL WORK FOR WHO?

Please I Need Reasons.

first, the jobs are not available
And even if they are available, their terms and conditions ain't what most of the youths have like years of experience, certain certificate. Those terms can be depressing and in the long run the best way out is to learn a trade and grow with it.
And, some oga and madam can be pain in the as.s, making work environment unbearable for staffs.

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Cutehector(m): 6:05pm On Oct 13, 2022
Wont even look at your face if you yab my job. We'll just compare networth in person.

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by sacajawea: 6:11pm On Oct 13, 2022
Tokskob2008:
The first issue should be is the #40k job even available? The few that somehow got lucky by using connection to get the job are they ok with it and how is the job treating them?
At the end of 30 days you get #40k and when you deduct feeding and transportation from it you will find out you have absolutely nothing left so how long should one continue to endure that worrisome circle of nonsense
Extreme Depression
A general overall feeling of downwardness and Poverty

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 13, 2022
"NO FOOD FOR LAZY MAN" Hmmm i remember that word! Not for lazy man for lazy human being Ok! KEEP WORKING! KEEP EARNING!
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by babajero(m): 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Please I Need Reasons.

I guess you were just writing without reasoning what you are writing, because it is completely senseless.
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by MadamOk(f): 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Please I Need Reasons.

your analysis is a fat true, I went home sometime early this year for my cousin wedding, the salon I enter want to tie my gele the small children wey dey learn make up and gele tie ehn, I thought they are just children playing around the shop until the madam want to tie my gele then I realize they are apprentice, one the hold pin, one dey hold the other side of the gele, some they look, I was like no Saturday lesson again, now how days parents just want to engage their children because neighbour pikin dey do, so they have to... It is well
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by kabillionaire(m): 9:18pm On Oct 13, 2022
I actually don't know what to classify you useless post.
Vinnie2000:

Please I Need Reasons.

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by osazsky(m): 10:04pm On Oct 13, 2022
Most persons here shouthing up and down ,,bla bla be ur own boss,,internet marketing..freelancing bla bla my brother the truth of the matter is that there are no jobs...make shell or nnpc give them work and see how they resume duty by 6am and close by 6am..I have a friend working in a firm in abj that earns close to 7m naira..those graduates way they form tailoring boss my brother them never see work that's y they are managing that store

3 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Sulele04(m): 10:13pm On Oct 13, 2022
CivilzedTyger:
Bro forget Lil baby good. He has his own style, and he's got his game locked down. Listen to Emotionally scarred, drip too hard, please etc
Please is one lowkey jam in Voice of the Heroes.

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by UnproudLife: 3:43am On Oct 14, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Please I Need Reasons.

See let's not deceive ourselves... Who will work for who isn't the case. By the time all saturates and they don't all make money on such they'll look for same job to do. I've had a tailor employed who knows his job well right in the heart of Lagos o.

2 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Probz(m): 4:41am On Oct 14, 2022
Teenage pregnancies aren’t great but the lack of interest in working is more of a generalised reflection of disillusionment in the current economy than anything to do with young people themselves. Young Nigerians have never had it so-bad.

2 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Probz(m): 4:42am On Oct 14, 2022
And I mean never.

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Robisky001(m): 6:37am On Oct 14, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Please I Need Reasons.

Good observation from the OP. The little time I spent in Ughelli, Afiesere to be precise omo I was surprised at the level apprenticeship taking place in the town. Mostly, underage girls. It's a good thing anyway.

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Sebbs(m): 7:56am On Oct 14, 2022
At age 27 i dy collect 16,000 as salary, you dy talk about 40k where we wan take see am

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by emmaodet: 8:47am On Oct 14, 2022
viodemus:
For America that year, dem say na too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Indians as in the American indians wey oyibos been meet when dem go america. Every Indian that time dey claim chiefs. One of the reasons they were easily defeated.

The young people are learning from their elders. They see nothing but lucky people with money, not hard workers with money.

The hardest workers that they see with some discipline and great results are the soccer players, musicians, and even actors/actresses. The rest na small effort, big luck (national position, japa success, fraud, robbery, olosho, etc) or rich family connect tins. light work.

Am in my over half of 30s and even those ones just now dey get the reality of life.

We have work to do.

So true.
So so true

2 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by emmaodet: 8:59am On Oct 14, 2022
CocoaOla:
salary job with the inflations in Nigeria

the country should work on double digit inflations

the salary lost its value and still losing its values

So true.
No country can grow with double digit inflation.
The whites know it.
Virtually all african countries and all poor countries are on double digit inflation, funny enough all developed and western countries are on nearly 1% inflation. Not even single digit but capped against 1%.
It is visible to the blind and audible to the deaf.

In a double digit inflation country, the illiterates, hand/skilled workers adjust easily to it but unfortunately, the so called educated employees are stuck in it.
For the past 30 years have been alive, I have never experienced skilled workers or illiterates go on strike. It has always been the so called educated - teachers, lecturers, medical doctors etc going on strike.

What does that tell us? That the illiterates we look down on even have a system that works far better than the so called educated.

So much for going to school and being called graduates.

A bus driver adjust his fares according to the economy.
You go to the park today and enter lagos to sagamu for #1,000.
Next week you get there and the fare has rising to 1,200 to adjust with inflation or devaluation.
If you ask the driver why the increase in fare, he will tell you fuel is now more costly.
Gbogbo nkan ti wan si.
The tomatoe seller will adjust their price, cat fish seller same, onions, beans, rice etc will adjust it and tell you customer, things don expensive say na God go help nigeria but the educated man is the one that has a fixed salary. A pegged salary.
His income is not adjusting to his environment reality reason why they regularly go on strike for pay rise after many years when their salaries are virtually rendered useless.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Vinnie2000(m): 5:40pm On Oct 14, 2022
emmaodet:

So true.
No country can grow with double digit inflation.
The whites know it.
Virtually all african countries and all poor countries are on double digit inflation, funny enough all developed and western countries are on nearly 1% inflation. Not even single digit but capped against 1%.
It is visible to the blind and audible to the deaf.

In a double digit inflation country, the illiterates, hand/skilled workers adjust easily to it but unfortunately, the so called educated employees are stuck in it.
For the past 30 years have been alive, I have never experienced skilled workers or illiterates go on strike. It has always been the so called educated - teachers, lecturers, medical doctors etc going on strike.

What does that tell us? That the illiterates we look down on even have a system that works far better than the so called educated.

So much for going to school and being called graduates.

A bus driver adjust his fares according to the economy.
You go to the park today and enter lagos to sagamu for #1,000.
Next week you get there and the fare has rising to 1,200 to adjust with inflation or devaluation.
If you ask the driver why the increase in fare, he will tell you fuel is now more costly.
Gbogbo nkan ti wan si.
The tomatoe seller will adjust their price, cat fish seller same, onions, beans, rice etc will adjust it and tell you customer, things don expensive say na God go help nigeria but the educated man is the one that has a fixed salary. A pegged salary.
His income is not adjusting to his environment reality reason why they regularly go on strike for pay rise after many years when their salaries are virtually rendered useless.

Bro, I Doff my Heart for you!

See your Exquisite Economic analysis..(cool

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Post Your Cv's To Diamond Bank. / Top 10 Ways To Flop During A Job Interview / Re: Deduction In Stipends. A Few Beneficiaries Will Have Noticed A Deduction.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.