Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,464 members, 7,830,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. (9280 Views)

Can A Born Again Christian Be Affected By Past Curses And Ancestral Bondages? / Should A Born Again Christian Look Sexy in Public? / Can A Born Again Christian Marry A Muslim Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Corporate2020: 11:18am On Oct 23, 2022
Yes, like Fake Pastor Judas Osinbajo
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by charlesditro: 11:19am On Oct 23, 2022
Born again is a title and God is not interested in titles. I can't speak for God but its strongly assured in my heart that God only cares about people who care about him through their actions and decisions. So righteousness supercedes any title. It's consistent, deliberate, committed and intentional motives to be just within yourself without approval. Obidient is better than sacrifice.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by DSC7: 11:19am On Oct 23, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

My comments is not for atheists Sir but those having faith in God's word.
When Jesus of Nazareth told his audience that the Elijah they're expecting is John the baptist there's nowhere the name John was written in the Bible even the name Jesus wasn't the one they're expecting as the Messiah but it's these two individuals that fulfilled both the expected Messiah and Elijah.

So it's from 1914 that what Jesus foretold about his presence began unfolding {Matthew 24:3-14} only faithful individuals who love God's word will correlate the event and the time it's happening unlike you who is expecting to see the date written in black and white! wink

Oga that your 1914 reference no follow Abegggggg....

I stopped taking JW serious when they told me that God casted Lucifer out of heaven in the year 1914... And that Jesus wass crucified on a stake (long straight wood) instead of Cross...
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Oluwapresley(m): 11:23am On Oct 23, 2022
Broveens42:

Lol.. there is a distinction actually but the thing is, none of the terminologies concerns us grin

In the literature, 'born again' are just a clique expected to keep the commandments , while Christian was a name approved by CAC grin in Antioch

Lmao. I am laughing my ass off here especially cox of the 2nd paragraph. You people will not kill me. Please abeg Biko lemmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Lmaoooo
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by orisa37: 11:23am On Oct 23, 2022
WATER BAPTISM MAKES YOU A CHRISTIAN.
HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM MAKES YOU BORN AGAIN.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Lamasta(m): 11:32am On Oct 23, 2022
You can't ascertain that yourself cos Jesus liken believers to sheep where he said I know my sheep and my sheep's know me when I call they hear my voice
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by oteneaaron(m): 11:32am On Oct 23, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Misconstrueing ANTICIPATION for PROPHECIES!

What a pity? smiley

My guy, all these are anticipations of God's promises not prophecies, just as faithful people always do! Matthew 11:3; Act 1:6

From time immemorial faithful servants of God have always ANTICIPATE God's promises and it's fulfilments. The mistakes they're making is TEACHINGS that came from pagan sources like HellFire, Immorality of the soul, birthdays and other pagan traditions not their anticipation of God's promises.

For your information it's God Himself who told us to CONTINUE ANTICIPATING His promises! Habakkuk 2:3

May you have PEACE! smiley

Hahahahahaha

Leave semantics for English professors.

So your God told you to be in anticipation and it is because of this "anticipation" that your organization predicted false prophecies that didn't come true?

So you are now blaming your God for your false prophecies.

Your God must love deceiving you guys cos in your "anticipation", you have made false prophecies not once, not twice and not even thrice, but on more than four different occasions.

Interesting.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Jacketaltrade: 11:35am On Oct 23, 2022
There's no difference, Naturally we all act like our parents not God, that's why it's easier to be told 'ARE YOU NOT THE SON/DAUGHTER OF SOMEONE' than you're a child of God, for a man to be called a christian he must be reborn in Christ to be identified as a follower not believer (For Christians are those who follow and walk in the ways of our master Christ Jesus). Thus, you must be born again before you become a christian else youre just a believer.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Jacketaltrade: 11:38am On Oct 23, 2022
What is born again and explain briefly how it is a title.
charlesditro:
Born again is a title and God is not interested in titles. I can't speak for God but its strongly assured in my heart that God only cares about people who care about him through their actions and decisions. So righteousness supercedes any title. It's consistent, deliberate, committed and intentional motives to be just within yourself without approval. Obidient is better than sacrifice.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by timota(m): 11:41am On Oct 23, 2022
Wike is a Christian but not a born again christian and Ikpaozu is a born again Christian.According to wike
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by NNTR: 11:47am On Oct 23, 2022
IrepChrist:
Thanks for your analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgEThzL_v6g
Paul explains himself to King Agrippa (Acts 26)

Acts 26:24-29
'24While Paul was making this defense, Festus said loudly,
“Paul, you are out of your mind! Your great education is turning you toward madness.”
25But Paul replied, “I am not out of my mind, most excellent and noble Festus,
but [with a sound mind] I am uttering rational words of truth and reason.
26For [your majesty] the king understands these things,
and [therefore] I am also speaking to him with confidence and boldness,
since I am convinced that none of these things escape his notice;
for this has not been done in a corner [hidden from view, in secret].
27King Agrippa, do you believe the [writings of the] Prophets [their messages and words]? I know that you do.”
28Then Agrippa said to Paul,
“In a short time [and with so little effort] you [almost] persuade me to become a Christian.

29And Paul replied,
“Whether in a short time or long, I wish to God that not only you,
but also all who hear me today, might become such as I am, except for these chains.”
'

None of the early or biblical believers ever greeted each other as Christian nor openly or directly called each other Christians.

Jesus is not a Christian. None of the disciples were christians, none of the Apostles were christians. Interestingly the opportunity arose for Apostle Paul, to identity himself as a christian, in front of king Agrippa, but he didnt.

Apostle Paul actually sidestepped using the epithet word, Christian, that was contemptuously and dismissively used by King Agrippa, instead Apostle Paul said:
'I pray to God that both you and everyone here in this audience might become the same as I am, except for these chains.'

IrepChrist:
Today being called a Christian has been underated. A born again Christian is an emphasy on our Christlike nature. If truly we are genuine there should be no difference.
Actually the reality about the word Christian is that it an unflattering social construct formulated by the people of Antioch.

Fast forward, Constantine jumped on to the unflattering social construct christian epithet word bandwagon, polished the christian turd word up and glamourised it for use by Christendom and all.

No true born again believer, just like Apostle Paul did will ever call themselves a christian, no matter how well sugar coated the word is presented.

cc Xlyad

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by excel101(m): 11:54am On Oct 23, 2022
No difference, because they're both Christian's, as the word implies.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Jackbaur88: 12:03pm On Oct 23, 2022
Being born again is a state where by an individual experience the new birth experience through an encounter with the person of Jesus Christ through a process call Salvation. Romans 10:10, John 3:1-7
Salvation involves the sinner confessing his or her sinful state to God, renouncing them and make an wholesome commitment to live a life free of sin and iniquity. At salvation, physical sins such lieing, stealing, fornication, masturbation, fighting, quarreling are taken away. The born again individual is now referred to as a believer in Christ.
The salvation experience ushers the believer into a deeper relationship with God and is the basic as foundation to other Christian experiences such as sanctification/ transformation, holy ghost baptism
Colossians 1:1-15
Therefore only those who are born again, saved from sin are referred to as Christians. Their lives reflects the wholesome life style Jesus Christ in words, actions and depositions.
There are therefore professing Christians and Christians who have encountered Jesus Christ through the instrument of salvation.
Mathew 7:21
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Mike008(m): 12:23pm On Oct 23, 2022
Maynman:

It was agrippa ll that called them “Chrestian” in Antioch as a mockery.

Verse please
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by VULCAN(m): 12:25pm On Oct 23, 2022
What I have always found fascinating is that you rarely find Christians gathering around Atheists online to tell them they are wrong.

Maybe one or two on occasion but never en masse

But Atheists ehh, they are so idle and without self esteem that they always throng where Christians gather. They can't help but bulldoze their way into online gatherings of Christians and spend emotional energy attacking them. They will be frothing at the mouth like asylum dwellers. Lollz

I didn't understand why this was for a very long time but I later realised that The Light is attractive even to those that deny it's glow. Lol

Atheists are very sad and unbalanced people.

One of the reasons I have no respect for them is that they avoid Muslims like the plague. Hahaha.

How come they find excitement in attacking Christianity but are completely dumb when it comes to Islam

Bloody cowards.

KnownUnknown:
Like Super Jew is written to have said to Nicodemus, “being born again is like the wind. No one knows where it comes from or where it goes”. Prime bullshit from the mind of some charlatan.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by drololaaof: 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2022
paxonel:
born again or Christian or whatever, no difference.
So long they all believe in Christ.
Not so sir you can be a Christian a nominal Christian but not being born again . A born again Christian after accepting Jesus Christ must reaccess his life to follow the tenets of christianity, fasting and praying ,payment of tithes and offerings, service to God and not to humanity, fear of God, obey his commandments, love your neighbour ,evangelize etc
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Maynman: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2022
Mike008:

Verse please

Heard of the Catholic canon?
The early church fathers that complied and created the books you base your life on.

Before they were called “ Chrestian” in antioch by “they”, what were they previously called?

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by DeOTR: 12:41pm On Oct 23, 2022
A Christian indeed is a Christian, nothing more to it. It's either you're a Christian or you're not. And by Christian, I don't mean Church-goers.
Not all Church-goers are Christians, and not all Christians are Church-goers. Saying Born-again Christian is like saying "Christian Christian". The repetition is not necessary.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by TomCD(m): 12:48pm On Oct 23, 2022
SUMMARY

Born-again: Be baptize in the name of Jesus Christ and remove the Adamic nature (sin) away from you.

Christian: You are a disciple (or follower) of Christ. That's you doing what Christ did.

=> A born again child of God is a Christian, and a genuine Christian is a born again child of God.

Note: You can't FAKE it because it will always expose you.

Do have a great Sunday ahead beloveth.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by KnownUnknown: 12:50pm On Oct 23, 2022
VULCAN:
What I have always found fascinating is that you rarely find Christians gathering around Atheists online to tell them they are wrong.

Maybe one or two on occasion but never en masse

But Atheists ehh, they are so idle and without self esteem that they always throng where Christians gather. They can't help but bulldoze their way into online gatherings of Christians and spend emotional energy attacking them. They will be frothing at the mouth like asylum dwellers. Lollz

I didn't understand why this was for a very long time but I later realised that The Light is attractive even to those that deny it's glow. Lol

Atheists are very sad and unbalanced people.

One of the reasons I have no respect for them is that they avoid Muslims like the plague. Hahaha.

How come they find excitement in attacking Christianity but are completely dumb when it comes to Islam

Bloody cowards.

Number 1: Mohammed can suck Jesus’ dick.
Number 2: I’m not an atheist because your imaginary friends do not require “belief” or “unbelief”. They are just nonsensical fiction. Rubbish

Abrahamic nonsense disgusts me in general and psychological slaves of the bloodthirsty arab mongrel can get the vitriol too if they post here.

Nevertheless, the disgusting jew shit you believe to be “light” sure has you people wallowing in darkness. Perpetual slaves.

Christians are worse than the atheist regardless if they come online to argue or not. Look at any land or clime and you’ll find them arguing against progress and justifying their ignorance with their demented jew fairy tales.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Tingotoe: 12:51pm On Oct 23, 2022
Christians are in the majority
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by selfemployed(m): 12:52pm On Oct 23, 2022
IrepChrist:
It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians,” Acts 11: 26.
This verse narrated the event that led to disciples being called after the likeness of Christ. Acts 11: 19-26 — It's a privilege that we believers today are called Christians because it emphasize our Christlike nature. Why are the disciples not referred to had born Christians?

Recently a prominent politician said I am a Christian but not born again. It sounds sarcastic. We should stop drawing lines between these nomenclature.

Being born again is the process of unlearning old beliefs to learn new ones that promote love and righteousness
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Mike008(m): 12:55pm On Oct 23, 2022
NNTR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgEThzL_v6g
Paul explains himself to King Agrippa (Acts 26)

Acts 26:24-29
'24While Paul was making this defense, Festus said loudly,
“Paul, you are out of your mind! Your great education is turning you toward madness.”
25But Paul replied, “I am not out of my mind, most excellent and noble Festus,
but [with a sound mind] I am uttering rational words of truth and reason.
26For [your majesty] the king understands these things,
and [therefore] I am also speaking to him with confidence and boldness,
since I am convinced that none of these things escape his notice;
for this has not been done in a corner [hidden from view, in secret].
27King Agrippa, do you believe the [writings of the] Prophets [their messages and words]? I know that you do.”
28Then Agrippa said to Paul,
“In a short time [and with so little effort] you [almost] persuade me to become a Christian.

29And Paul replied,
“Whether in a short time or long, I wish to God that not only you,
but also all who hear me today, might become such as I am, except for these chains.”
'

None of the early or biblical believers ever greeted each other as Christian nor openly or directly called each other Christians.

Jesus is not a Christian. None of the disciples were christians, none of the Apostles were christians. Interestingly the opportunity arose for Apostle Paul, to identity himself as a christian, in front of king Agrippa, but he didnt.

Apostle Paul actually sidestepped using the epithet word, Christian, that was contemptuously and dismissively used by King Agrippa, instead Apostle Paul said:
'I pray to God that both you and everyone here in this audience might become the same as I am, except for these chains.'

Actually the reality about the word Christian is that it an unflattering social construct formulated by the people of Antioch.

Fast forward, Constantine jumped on to the unflattering social construct christian epithet word bandwagon, polished the christian turd word up and glamourised it for use by Christendom and all.

No true born again believer, just like Apostle Paul did will ever call themselves a christian, no matter how well sugar coated the word is presented.

cc Xlyad

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

Why are you trying to confusing us with your academic approach about the word "Christian"?
What word would you use to describe those who believe in the teachings and life of Jesus Christ then?

Paul before Agrippa did not dispute he is a Christian. At that time the word "Christian" was unpopular but acceptable by Christians none the less.
It is the same thing as the followers of Peter obi calling themselves Obedients.
So Paul was an ardent Christian even though he did not describe himself by that nomenclature.
It was this fact that brought him into problem with the people. If not that he was one Agrippa himself would not have accused him of trying to turn him into one.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by DeOTR: 12:58pm On Oct 23, 2022
drololaaof:

Not so sir you can be a Christian a nominal Christian but not being born again . A born again Christian after accepting Jesus Christ must reaccess his life to follow the tenets of christianity, fasting and praying ,payment of tithes and offerings, service to God and not to humanity, fear of God, obey his commandments, love your neighbour ,evangelize etc
You certainly do not know the meaning of a Christian.
A Christian is someone that is Christ-like in every way. There's nothing like nominal Christian. It's either you're a Christian or you're not. It's either you're hot or cold. No midway.
According to Revelation 14:12b, Christians are "...they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus."
You can give everything you have to the need, but nothing concern paying tithes and being a Christian.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Starz825(m): 1:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
paxonel:
born again or Christian or whatever, no difference.
So long they all believe in Christ.

And be mindful of this difference :

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

This implies that except a man is born of water and of the spirit..
To be born of water implies the water baptism of John the Baptist
To be born of the spirit implies being a disciples of Jesus at the time he was yet to be crucified.
All these is what Jesus meant by the term born again in John 3:3 and they happened during John the Baptist era and therefore have nothing to do with Christians.
Infact, Christians were first called Christians at Antioch after Jesus has been crucified, John the Baptist wasn't among

The bottom-line is, the word born again used by Jesus in John 3:3 isn't necessarily of Christianity but it was of John the Baptist
You were right at first then you missed it in the end...

Listen up....
Once you claim to be a Christian: you must have confessed the lord as your savior from sin and iniquities, must have been baptized in water and then must have received the holy spirit....and you also take the holy communion.

All of these processes are why you are called a born again Christian.....the recognized christian who's name is in the book of life..

However,
I can be a Christian by name
I can be a Christian by birth
I can be a Christian by family religion..may be cos my dad is a pastor.....but I'm actually not born again...shey you get ...

That's the difference
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Richy4(m): 1:14pm On Oct 23, 2022
excel101:
No difference, because they're both Christian's, as the word implies.

I think there are differences...
Some are Christians by association... Which means they were born into a Christian home and they became Christians.. some have never been to a church for decades, some may or may not believe all the things written in the Bible.... Some may not know what the Bible was even talking about but when asked if they were Christians, they will say yes because their parents were Christians automatically it gives them that right...

A born again Christian is that individual who has accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and saviour based on this quotes:

Romans 10:9-10
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

John 1:12
But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

You see, someone cannot be a born again on another person's behalf... It's just a personal choice one have to make...
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by yemi1504: 1:18pm On Oct 23, 2022
IrepChrist:
It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians,” Acts 11: 26.
This verse narrated the event that led to disciples being called after the likeness of Christ. Acts 11: 19-26 — It's a privilege that we believers today are called Christians because it emphasize our Christlike nature. Why are the disciples not referred to had born Christians?

Recently a prominent politician said I am a Christian but not born again. It sounds sarcastic. We should stop drawing lines between these nomenclature.

A whole lot of difference. One just goes to church while the other has behaviours like Christ. Most Nigerian churchgoers are Christians and not born-again Christians and the pastors who are supposed to address this are preaching prosperity messages instead SMH. Reason why I don't go to church as there a lot of hypocrites there.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by yemi1504: 1:20pm On Oct 23, 2022
jutan:
You can't be a Christian and not born again.

You can! Most Nigerian churchgoers are Christians but are not born-again Christians. Reason a lot of atrocities are usually traced back to them.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Chetas81(m): 1:31pm On Oct 23, 2022
UNPRODUCTIVE ACTIVITY IS KILLING NIGERIAN'S
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2022
DSC7:

Oga that your 1914 reference no follow Abegggggg....
I stopped taking JW serious when they told me that God casted Lucifer out of heaven in the year 1914... And that Jesus wass crucified on a stake (long straight wood) instead of Cross...

One man's food is another man's poison!

It's the interpretation JWs made regarding 1914 that convinced me that they're the one and only true Christian group.
So that's means you disbelieve but i believe! smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Grace Is Not Enough / Divine Destiny Vs Natural Destiny / Could Atheism Be Considered The Gay Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.