Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,711 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. (9238 Views)

Can A Born Again Christian Be Affected By Past Curses And Ancestral Bondages? / Should A Born Again Christian Look Sexy in Public? / Can A Born Again Christian Marry A Muslim Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2022
oteneaaron:

Hahahahahaha
Leave semantics for English professors.
So your God told you to be in anticipation and it is because of this "anticipation" that your organization predicted false prophecies that didn't come true?
So you are now blaming your God for your false prophecies.
Your God must love deceiving you guys cos in your "anticipation", you have made false prophecies not once, not twice and not even thrice, but on more than four different occasions.
Interesting.

That's your viewpoint which differs from mine, from your point of view they're PROPHESYING but from my own point of view ANTICIPATION that's what i took it to be!

Do you now see why we differ in REASONING? wink

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Amayabor1: 1:52pm On Oct 23, 2022
Nothing like born again Christian. A Christian is one who has been born in the newness of Christ.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by omojeesu(m): 1:53pm On Oct 23, 2022
Nothing like Born Again Christian!

You can't be a Christian except you are Born Again.

If you are not born again you are not a Christian.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by andrenz: 1:55pm On Oct 23, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

All those persecuted and killed during the dark ages due to their love for what the Bible really teach died for the truth and Jesus is the truth so even though they're trinitarians and believe in HellFire Jesus will take them as true disciples because they're willing to know more! smiley

Omo nothing like he'll fire, u no even Sabi una teaching self
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Major001(m): 2:00pm On Oct 23, 2022
In simple terms...one is a Christian by 'Physical Birth' but a born-again Christian by 'Spiritual Re-birth.'

A Christian 'recognises' Christ as Saviour and Lord; a born-again Christian 'accepts' Christ as Saviour and Lord.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
andrenz:

Omo nothing like he'll fire, u no even Sabi una teaching self

You misunderstood me!

Many people died before Jesus returned in the year 1914 to correct the wrong teachings that Christendom has been spreading for centuries about immorality of the soul, HellFire and so on. Most of them believe this things because that's what they were taught to believe but it's when Charles Taze Russell and his group began making research that they discovered there's nothing like HellFire.
But does that makes all those who have died with that false teachings unbelievers?
NO!
We are all imperfect and our understanding of God's word can't be perfect that's why God said it's a gradual process for the righteous to gain accurate knowledge of God's word! Proverbs 4:18

Thanks! smiley

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by dave601: 2:26pm On Oct 23, 2022
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by dave601: 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2022
paxonel:
born again or Christian or whatever, no difference.
So long they all believe in Christ.

No, they aren't bro... Pastors and their bond members only make it look as such. Just see John chap. 3 to see how I mean.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by luluman: 2:36pm On Oct 23, 2022
IrepChrist:
It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians,” Acts 11: 26.
This verse narrated the event that led to disciples being called after the likeness of Christ. Acts 11: 19-26 — It's a privilege that we believers today are called Christians because it emphasize our Christlike nature. Why are the disciples not referred to had born Christians?

Recently a prominent politician said I am a Christian but not born again. It sounds sarcastic. We should stop drawing lines between these nomenclature.
CORRECT!!! Most people that call themselves Christian's are just church goers. Christianity is a more than just going to church.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Ayomivic(m): 2:39pm On Oct 23, 2022
IrepChrist:
It was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians,” Acts 11: 26.
This verse narrated the event that led to disciples being called after the likeness of Christ. Acts 11: 19-26 — It's a privilege that we believers today are called Christians because it emphasize our Christlike nature. Why are the disciples not referred to had born Christians?

Recently a prominent politician said I am a Christian but not born again. It sounds sarcastic. We should stop drawing lines between these nomenclature.

There is different between christian and born again christian. but in what in what many people believe we can say there is no different between Christian and born again christian.

But in real sense christian and born again christian are the same .

Is like I am confusing myself with what I said and you may still not understand me. Let me explain

What is christian?: according to the bible christian are people like Jesus.

Who did people called christian today? : Anyone who goes to church or believe in Jesus is called christian today. The question is ,is all that goes to church are like Jesus? Or is all who believed in Jesus are Christian? Remember the muslims also said they believed in Jesus.

Who is born again Christian? Born Again Christian to many people, born Again Christian are those that jentle or those that have good characters but that is not actually what born again mean from scripture perspective.

Born Again Christian are the people who are baptised and were lead by holy spirit to do what is right. How do I know that?

In the scripture the word " born Again was used by Jesus in John 3:3 where Jesus said

"3 Jesus answered, “I am telling you the truth: no one can see the Kingdom of God without being born again.”

From the word" Born again" people interpreted it to me rebirth and that actually what Jesus means but Nicodemus press forward to know what Jesus was talking about when he said
John 3:4
“How can a grown man be born again?” Nicodemus asked. “He certainly cannot enter his mother's womb and be born a second time!”

Nicodemus wanted Jesus to explain what he me by rebirth or born again and Jesus had this to tell him

John 3;5-7

5 “I am telling you the truth,” replied Jesus, “that no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6 A person is born physically of human parents, but is born spiritually of the Spirit. 7 Do not be surprised because I tell you that you must all be born again.

From the above Jesus explanation two things must take place before you can be called born again 1 Baptism 2 lead by Holy Spirit.

It is the Holy Spirit that would made you to live a good live that God wants

How do you know that you are lead by Holy Spirit?

1 Corinthians 12:3 says

3 I want you to know that no one who is led by God's Spirit can say “A curse on Jesus!” and no one can confess “Jesus is Lord,” without being guided by the Holy Spirit.

If you believe Jesus is Lord, you are lead by Holy Spirit.

The scripture also said in Roman 8:14 that

14 Those who are led by God's Spirit are God's children. 15 For the Spirit that God has given you does not make you slaves and cause you to be afraid; instead, the Spirit makes you God's children, and by the Spirit's power we cry out to God, “Father! my Father!” 16 God's Spirit joins himself to our spirits to declare that we are God's children. 17 Since we are his children, we will possess the blessings he keeps for his people, and we will also possess with Christ what God has kept for him; for if we share Christ's suffering, we will also share his glory.

On what Governor Wike said be born again doesn't mean you should not know your right or fight for your right but we should do all things in the spirit as God pleased. When you firgh for your right you do not do anyone harms . If some do bad to you nd you are just looking him he would continue to do to another person and think in himself that he is smart but when you pay him back in his own coins ,him too will feel it and stop doing bit for other but not in the sense that someone slap your face and you blow of his head.

The bible that said eyes for the eye is it also that said dont pay evil with evil. This is called for the guidance of Holy Spirit
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by verifiablefacts: 3:00pm On Oct 23, 2022
Karlovych:
embarassed How come I'm not allowed to swear to Jesus before commenting on a Christian thread? Anyways in a hypocritical nation like Nigeria there's no difference between the two

No need to swear to anything.

On a christian thread,no christian would spill insults on either Jesus or christians, a Muslim likewise will not insults Jesus or christians.
On the other hand (Muslims thread) you'll observe insults, hates on Muslims. Just observe how this thread would go, without any insults from Muslims, not that they are not on the thread or sleeping anyway.

Also observe how some christians will attack this my personal observation.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by octaflav: 3:06pm On Oct 23, 2022
IrepChrist:

A Christian is one who is born again. You are not a Christian if your are not born again. What qualifies you to be referred to as a Christian is that you are born again. Christianity is beyond religion; Christianity is beyond being Christlike. Christianity is Divinity in Humanity. God taken His abode in man. A Christian is a God man or God-kind of man.

There are different kinds of life; the plant life (mango, orange, palm tree, iroko tree). There is the animal life (monkeys, dogs, elephant, cats, etc). There is yet another life - human life (mankind). The fourth kind of life, which many people are not aware of is the God-life (Eternal life-Zoe` (Christians, God). This is the life Christians have but many are not aware of this New Identity - they still live like ordinary men. The truth of this life is revealed in I John 5:11-13. If you don't have Jesus. You don't have this life. 2Corinthians 5:17. Therefore if anyone be in Christ, He is a new creation.

And the way to be in Christ is given to us in Roman 10:9-10. You must believe and you must confess with your own mouth. This guarantees your gift of righteousness and ultimate salvation. God bless you.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Kei144(m): 3:33pm On Oct 23, 2022
Christians are people like Governor Wike, whereas Born-agains are people like Governor Ikpeazu.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by litaninja(m): 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2022
Yea, the amount of fairy tales they're willing to swallow.

IrepChrist:

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by paxonel(m): 4:15pm On Oct 23, 2022
dave601:

No, they aren't bro... Pastors and their bond members only make it look as such. Just see John chap. 3 to see how I mean.
what verse of John 3, quote it out let's see
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by paxonel(m): 4:31pm On Oct 23, 2022
Starz825:

You were right at first then you missed it in the end...

Listen up....
Once you claim to be a Christian: you must have confessed the lord as your savior from sin and iniquities, must have been baptized in water and then must have received the holy spirit....and you also take the holy communion.
all these you just said aren't bad at all, but they are unnecessary doctrines.

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Just say the word of confession of Jesus that he is the Christ, that's all.
You don't need all those doctrines you just put up there.
Salvation isn't doctrinated

All of these processes are why you are called a born again Christian.....the recognized christian who's name is in the book of life..
who is suppose to recognize that you are Christian God or man?
You people want to do things for people to see and recognize abi?
It isn't bad, but again it's not necessary.

However,
I can be a Christian by name
I can be a Christian by birth
I can be a Christian by family religion..may be cos my dad is a pastor.....but I'm actually not born again...shey you get ...
in that case, it's far better to remain a Christian by whatever means, whether from family or personal conviction.

What's born again good for in the first place?
Only for people to see now.

After that what next?
Nothing

I bet you, no one pays you salary for being born again so what's the gain?

May be, one church member will see you and say ahh! This person is born again o, and they will help you when you are in need.
That's the only benefit.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by EM123: 4:31pm On Oct 23, 2022
[quote author=MaxInDHouse post=117796572]

WILL YOU KEEP QUIET
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by paxonel(m): 4:37pm On Oct 23, 2022
drololaaof:

Not so sir you can be a Christian a nominal Christian but not being born again . A born again Christian after accepting Jesus Christ must reaccess his life to follow the tenets of christianity, fasting and praying ,payment of tithes and offerings, service to God and not to humanity, fear of God, obey his commandments, love your neighbour ,evangelize etc
ok,
God things to do.

But whether you do all these thongs or not you will still go to heaven so long you believe in Christ, yes or no?

If yes, what then is the point doing them in the first place?
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Ygc1: 4:40pm On Oct 23, 2022
No
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by dave601: 5:26pm On Oct 23, 2022
paxonel:
what verse of John 3, quote it out let's see

Ok friend, I meant verse 1-21...
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by judedwriter(m): 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2022
IrepChrist:

A born again Christian lives according to the Holy Spirit and word of God.

We have so many so called Christians, who live according to their flesh.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by excel101(m): 6:05pm On Oct 23, 2022
Richy4:

I think there are differences...
Some are Christians by association... Which means they were born into a Christian home and they became Christians.. some have never been to a church for decades, some may or may not believe all the things written in the Bible.... Some may not know what the Bible was even talking about but when asked if they were Christians, they will say yes because their parents were Christians automatically it gives them that right...

A born again Christian is that individual who has accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and saviour based on this quotes:

Romans 10:9-10
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

John 1:12
But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

You see, someone cannot be a born again on another person's behalf... It's just a personal choice one have to make...
If we go by the word Christian, it a universal set born again are also included in it......when you get born again, automatically you become a Christian. In the nutshell, born again is a process of becoming a Christian.
Lastly there is nothing like born again Christian.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by yinkbell: 6:53pm On Oct 23, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

The reason why you don't know the difference is because you haven't learned from the real Christians: JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES!

Christians are believers in Christ Jesus always practicing what Jesus taught wholeheartedly as if their lives depends on it. They will live forever in Paradise on earth when God's own government (God's Kingdom) is established on the earth. They will become adopted children of a new father (Christ Jesus) through their faith in him so unlike the descendants of Adam that inherited sin and death through the bloodline Christians will have everlasting life as adopted children of the Christ! 1Corinthians 15:45

BORN AGAIN Christians are believers anointed with God's Holy Spirit to reign with Christ in heaven. This is the group Jesus had a direct dealing with, they will live by all that Christ taught but after their death there's no more life for them on this planet just like Jesus lived and after his resurrection went to heaven, they will be taken to heaven where Jesus has prepared for them as home. John 14:6

After Jesus' ascension to heaven Satan raised enemies against the congregation (church) both inside and outside. Unbelieving Jews were fighting against the church as Satan's agents from the outside while antichrists (disguised politicians) were fighting against the church from within. So just as Jesus foretold all the pioneers of the faith were killed {Matthew 23:24} after all these ones (have all slept in death) Satan used those enemies within to change everything Christ laid down {Matthew 13:25} no wonder Jesus foretold that by the time he returns to see how far his disciples are doing on earth what he taught would have been changed due to Satan's continuous fight against the truth! Luke 18:8

Well Jesus Christ returned in the year 1914 to take away the BORN AGAIN Christians who are sleeping in death {1Thessalonians 4:16} then the rest of them will be transformed immediately they died to go and join their brothers in heaven {1Thessalonians 4:17} then Jesus began visiting all the religious groups claiming Christians that year but none was teaching what Jesus laid down. After his thorough search he found a group known as the International Bible Students Association (IBSA) this group has been making research to know where the churches of Christendom went wrong, Jesus began using God's Holy Spirit to direct this group and from that year this group kept making amendments in their beliefs. After 17 years of their continuous amendments (1931) without let up despite criticism from other religions including members leaving the group to either join or form another group God began calling this unique group of faithful researchers by another name: JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES! Isaiah 65:15

Approach them for more enlightenment on the topic of discussion and you'll be glad you did. God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

You said, " Jesus came back to take away those that are fallen asleep in 1914? "
Pls do well to read again the whole book of 1st Thessalonians Chapter4. Don't just take out one verse in isolation?

In first thesalonians chapter 4, Bible says he will appear in the cloud.

All eyes will definitely see him when He appears in the sky.

I want to ask, what was the evidence that Jesus appeared in 1914?
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Yemoad: 6:54pm On Oct 23, 2022
Romans 8 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁵ For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
⁶ For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
⁷ Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
⁸ So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
⁹ But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:15pm On Oct 23, 2022
yinkbell:

You said, " Jesus came back to take away those that are fallen asleep in 1914? "
Pls do well to read again the whole book of 1st Thessalonians Chapter4. Don't just take out one verse in isolation?
In first thesalonians chapter 4, Bible says he will appear in the cloud.
All eyes will definitely see him when He appears in the sky.
I want to ask, what was the evidence that Jesus appeared in 1914?

ALL EYES is not referring to physical eyes but people will start to talk about the man who prophesied the things happening in that year.

Jesus himself confirmed that after his earthly ministry and death the world (unbelievers) will never see him again:

Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. John 14:19

What unbelievers will see is the events Jesus foretold about the endtime:

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with great power and glory. Matthew 24:30

It's the SIGN everyone will see to remember the man who prophesied all these things that's why you can see both Muslims, Jews, Atheists and Agnostics all arguing about Jesus of Nazareth because they're all seeing the signs even though they don't want to believe in him but faithful people throughout the earth are keeping all these events to heart knowing fully well that it's not a coincidence Jesus is around in the spirit!

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by ajealadick(m): 7:26pm On Oct 23, 2022
As governor Wike
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by cornelboy(f): 1:17am On Oct 24, 2022
Yes one has the holy spirit baptism while the other doesn't.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by Bigsecret(f): 6:34am On Oct 24, 2022
To be a Christian means you believe in the finished works of Christ. It means being Christlike and that is what being born-again means. Hence, there is no difference between being a Christian and being Born Again for if any man is in Christ, He is a new creature and old things are passed away
IrepChrist:

Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by NNTR: 11:23am On Oct 24, 2022
Mike008:
Why are you trying to confusing us with your academic approach about the word "Christian"?
2 Timothy 2:15
'Study and do your best to present yourself to God approved,
a workman [tested by trial] who has no reason to be ashamed,
accurately handling and skillfully teaching the word of truth.
'

I've no apologia for correctly explaining the word of truth, especially if 2 Timothy 2:15 advices us, to do our best to present ourselves to God as one approved, as workers who does not need to be ashamed and who rightly divides the word of truth, correctly handles the word of truth, who properly makes known the word of truth without deviation.

The biblical times believers addressed, greeted, called and referred each other or themselves as disciples (i.e. Acts 1:15), as saints (i.e. Acts 9:13, 1 Corinthians 1:2), as believers (i.e. Acts 5:14, Romans 1:16; Acts 10:45, 1 Timothy 6:2), as brothers (i.e. Acts 6:3, James 2:15), as witnesses (i.e. Acts 5:32), as followers of the Way (i.e. Acts 9:2, Acts 24:14, 22) and even as Nazarenes (i.e. Acts 24:5).

Mike008:
What word would you use to describe those who believe in the teachings and life of Jesus Christ then?
Jesus asked the disciples:
''Who do people say I am?''

Then after the disciples gave all manner of answers, He zeroed in.
''But what about you?'' He asked.
''Who do you say I am?''

You know what Mike008, you are not defined by what others call you, and so, believers too, are not defined by what the people of Antioch called us. What the people of Antioch, said about the believers is not a reflection of believers but a reflection of the people of Antioch, known for their penchant of giving out nicknames, especially nicknames with bad meaning or connotations, to others.

You could see in Acts 26:24-29 King Agrippa bible passage, talking of Acts 26:28 verse to be precise, how the king sneered at the word "Christian", meaning that King Agrippa certainly wasnt emphasising any Christlike nature at all, but in fact found the word to be repulsive to him

Mike008:
Paul before Agrippa did not dispute he is a Christian. At that time the word "Christian" was unpopular but acceptable by Christians none the less.
Apostle Paul before Agrippa avoided using the word Christian, and he did the right thing of not using the word because saying the word would be him joining in profaning Jesus (i.e. Christ-anos)

Mike008:
It is the same thing as the followers of Peter obi calling themselves Obedients.
Apostle Paul, as seen in Acts 26:27-28 above, had a golden opportunity or chance, in front of king Agrippa to admit he is a Christian (i.e. Christ-anos), but he never allowed the epithet word, roll off his tongue to confirm and describe himself as that is who he has become. Why? It is because Apostle Paul, knew he wasn't a christian (i.e. Christ-anos) and so wouldn't agree to be defined as such or accept to be described as such

Mike008:
So Paul was an ardent Christian even though he did not describe himself by that nomenclature.
It was this fact that brought him into problem with the people. If not that he was one Agrippa himself would not have accused him of trying to turn him into one.
If only more christians, properly read their bibles, there'd be less christians and/or less Constantine christians

King Agrippa, the person, who used the Christian (i.e. Christ-anos) term around Paul, is a hardcore and die-hard Jew and knew exactly what he was doing and saying, by using the Christian (i.e. Christ-anos) word around Apostle Paul.

Agrippa, not only a Jew but a king as well, deliberately and calculatedly, tried to hurt Paul's emotional state, frame of mind, sensibility and/or sensitivity.

Now read what Tacitus, a senator and historian of the Roman Empire, once wrote about the early believers:
''Those who were vulgarly known by the name of Christians''

You see Mike008 beloved, certain truths, can only be clearly seen or understood with the wisdom of age and grace of God. In fact, in youth we learn, in age we understand

I adjure you to go learn the meaning of what the people of Antioch and King Agrippa were implying when they used the term Christi-anos pka Christian because when the Christi-anos or Christian mocking term was coined by the people of Antioch and when it was used by King Agrippa, it actually means quite the opposite of ''someone who is christlike''

Mike008, you strain at a gnat but easily swallow a camel of a lie, falsely claiming that the word Christian etymologically means Christ-like, when it actually is a case of Genesis 4:26 (i.e. At that time, profaning the name of the LORD began.)

cc IrepChrist, Xlyad

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: Is There Any Difference Between A Christian And A Born Again Christian. by IrepChrist: 12:27pm On Oct 24, 2022
NNTR:
2 Timothy 2:15
'Study and do your best to present yourself to God approved,
a workman [tested by trial] who has no reason to be ashamed,
accurately handling and skillfully teaching the word of truth.
'

I've no apologia for correctly explaining the word of truth, especially if 2 Timothy 2:15 advices us, to do our best to present ourselves to God as one approved, as workers who does not need to be ashamed and who rightly divides the word of truth, correctly handles the word of truth, who properly makes known the word of truth without deviation.

The biblical times believers addressed, greeted, called and referred each other or themselves as disciples (i.e. Acts 1:15), as saints (i.e. Acts 9:13, 1 Corinthians 1:2), as believers (i.e. Acts 5:14, Romans 1:16; Acts 10:45, 1 Timothy 6:2), as brothers (i.e. Acts 6:3, James 2:15), as witnesses (i.e. Acts 5:32), as followers of the Way (i.e. Acts 9:2, Acts 24:14, 22) and even as Nazarenes (i.e. Acts 24:5).

Jesus asked the disciples:
''Who do people say I am?''

Then after the disciples gave all manner of answers, He zeroed in.
''But what about you?'' He asked.
''Who do you say I am?''

You know what Mike008, you are not defined by what others call you, and so, believers too, are not defined by what the people of Antioch called us. What the people of Antioch, said about the believers is not a reflection of believers but a reflection of the people of Antioch, known for their penchant of giving out nicknames, especially nicknames with bad meaning or connotations, to others.

You could see in Acts 26:24-29 King Agrippa bible passage, talking of Acts 26:28 verse to be precise, how the king sneered at the word "Christian", meaning that King Agrippa certainly wasnt emphasising any Christlike nature at all, but in fact found the word to be repulsive to him

Apostle Paul before Agrippa avoided using the word Christian, and he did the right thing of not using the word because saying the word would be him joining in profaning Jesus (i.e. Christ-anos)

Apostle Paul, as seen in Acts 26:27-28 above, had a golden opportunity or chance, in front of king Agrippa to admit he is a Christian (i.e. Christ-anos), but he never allowed the epithet word, roll off his tongue to confirm and describe himself as that is who he has become. Why? It is because Apostle Paul, knew he wasn't a christian (i.e. Christ-anos) and so wouldn't agree to be defined as such or accept to be described as such

If only more christians, properly read their bibles, there'd be less christians and/or less Constantine christians

King Agrippa, the person, who used the Christian (i.e. Christ-anos) term around Paul, is a hardcore and die-hard Jew and knew exactly what he was doing and saying, by using the Christian (i.e. Christ-anos) word around Apostle Paul.

Agrippa, not only a Jew but a king as well, deliberately and calculatedly, tried to hurt Paul's emotional state, frame of mind, sensibility and/or sensitivity.

Now read what Tacitus, a senator and historian of the Roman Empire, once wrote about the early believers:
''Those who were vulgarly known by the name of Christians''

You see Mike008 beloved, certain truths, can only be clearly seen or understood with the wisdom of age and grace of God. In fact, in youth we learn, in age we understand

I adjure you to go learn the meaning of what the people of Antioch and King Agrippa were implying when they used the term Christi-anos pka Christian because when the Christi-anos or Christian mocking term was coined by the people of Antioch and when it was used by King Agrippa, it actually means quite the opposite of ''someone who is christlike''

Mike008, you strain at a gnat but easily swallow a camel of a lie, falsely claiming that the word Christian etymologically means Christ-like, when it actually is a case of Genesis 4:26 (i.e. At that time, profaning the name of the LORD began.)

cc IrepChrist, Xlyad

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

Thanks for your in-depth explanation. I have learned something.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Word Of God Is Powerful! / Seven Important Ways To Seek The Kingdom Of Heaven / Is It Right To Address Bishops As Lords?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.