Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,589 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Question For Atheists And Religious People - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Question For Atheists And Religious People (10549 Views)

Atheists And Their Stupidity / Questions For Atheists!!! / A Chalenge For Huxley,kay 17,ogaga4luv And Other Atheists And Satanists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Go Down)

Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Rgp92: 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2011
NWFX:

The debate between religious believers and Atheists have been raging on for quite some time now with each side passionately aiming to disprove the others claims.
However, no one on both sides at least to my knowledge  has ever given a reasonable answer or at least asked this question enough to make a meaningful impact on the debate.So what is the question?

1. To Atheists and the religious; What sort of convincing evidence would it take would it take for you to switch sides?

2. Also what sort of evidence or event do you think would convince the entire world in one single day to support your claims?

3. If eventually,you found out you've been wrong all along, How would you feel?,what impact would it make in your life and what would you do?

1. Here is an example, Japan and Nigeria. Japan is one of the richest and developed country in the world, they are mostly atheist. Nigeria on the other hand is one of the poorest, undeveloped and very religious. Many Nigerians pray to god everyday, yet Nigeria is still very undeveloped. If god truly exist, why haven't he answer the Nigerians praying to him ?

2. When live is found on another planet, most religious people thinks that we are alone in the universe, and also when we find or create something out of nothing.

3. If god truly do exist, it wont be just one god, but many. God is probably an intelligent race like the human being
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by vedaxcool(m): 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2011
@phillip
I agree that a lot of Nl atheist cannot make an E in Logics just as I dicovered in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-723007.128.html

mazaje:

How has he displayed his inability to think?. . . . .

Where in my question did i state that  he has inability to think? unlike you who always prefer insults as the shortest route to prove you Objectivity, I on the other hand is willing to reason with people to unearth why's and the why not.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:25pm On Aug 22, 2011
Rgp92:

1. Here is an example, Japan and Nigeria. Japan is one of the richest and developed country in the world, they are mostly atheist. Nigeria on the other hand is one of the poorest, undeveloped and very religious. Many Nigerians pray to god everyday, yet Nigeria is still very undeveloped. If god truly exist, why haven't he answer the Nigerians praying to him ?

2. When live is found on another planet, most religious people thinks that we are alone in the universe, and also when we find or create something out of nothing.

3. If god truly do exist, it wont be just one god, but many. God is probably an intelligent race like the human being

Tell them oooh, God alone is not the only one creating universes all over the place - there is a purpose for creating a life-form and it is not the Eternal Worship lie they tell you or the Golden Mansions and Diamond gardens that we are told to avoid while on earth. The Gods created Life-forms for just one reason - FOOD  grin  tongue
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Pukkah: 3:29pm On Aug 22, 2011
Rgp92:

1. Here is an example, Japan and Nigeria. Japan is one of the richest and developed country in the world, they are mostly atheist. Nigeria on the other hand is one of the poorest, undeveloped and very religious. Many Nigerians pray to god everyday, yet Nigeria is still very undeveloped.

Food for thought. Prosperity patterns do not actually follow religious leanings or spiritual sentiments.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Tunmi(f): 3:30pm On Aug 22, 2011
I love this thread and the responses from the users. Given religion's hold on Nigeria, I did not think anyone would dare differ from the norm. And I am happy to know that others do their independent research and critical thinking smiley

I thought I was odd for not being religious. I went to both Churches and Mosques, and while I liked the amazing creativity of the buildings, I was not a big fan of sermons because I could poke holes through the logic. And I've known this since I was about 9. I read the Bible like a book, but I didn't have a translated copy of the Quran.  I believe that there is a supernatural being, this is my personal belief. I believe in God in a spiritual sense in the same way that I believe in Karma.

I don't knock others' beliefs so long as they do not impose their beliefs on me and my life. I like the diversity of it all. I know I'm gushing, but I am just so happy to know religion has not completely blinded all Nigerians.

One thing I am curious about is the traditional gods and the traditional religions. What happened to that? Being away from Nigeria, and spending awesome time in the library helped me connect with the old Nigeria. "Sango," and "Saworoide" also helped. That's the religion I can get with not the ones that the missionaries and the traders brought to Nigeria. I keep expecting to see Nigerian anthropologists and sociologists tell our stories our way. I see it in the foreign libraries but I was not fortunate enough to see it in Nigeria. I fault my laziness on this part, or the lack of information and/or resources.

Okay, I'm done gushing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by vedaxcool(m): 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2011
Rgp92:

1. Have you ever looked at the character and honesty of Nigerians, and is material prosperity a measure of the existence of God? Do you even know the forces against our country, in the Qur'an Allah say, " Allah shall not change the condition of a people until they change that which is in theirselves" when Nigerians begin practising what is written in the qur'an or even the bible, then we can start talking from there, and on your claim that most Japanese are atheist i find that conflicting reliaty.

2. In the Qur'an, Allah made refrence to the seven heaven and Seven earths, this points to a possibility that there could be life outside earth.

3. It would be one God as there is these saying in the Qur'an that had then been any other god except Allah the entire heavens will fall in strife, this is to mean there would be a warfare between gods of different creation and the larger gods will eventually win the battle until there is a single dominant god.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by fyomer: 3:52pm On Aug 22, 2011
Am sorrounded by friends who are athiests, i'v been thinking of how to start with them,without offence(cause they respect me a lot).suggestions pls,
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by rhythyson: 4:04pm On Aug 22, 2011
Nothing can change the Atheists not even 1000 Jesus or Mohammed but one thing will surely change them HELL FIRE grin cheesy cheesy grin angry
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by fyomer: 4:07pm On Aug 22, 2011
Atheist on NL,pls say something on life after death.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by harakiri(m): 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2011
@philip0906, you say atheists are "just dumb" and I wonder how you arrived at that conclusion. Are they dumb because they don't jump the bandwagon like everyone else? Are they dumb because they don't have faith in an imported religion that was used as a means of enslaving the minds of their forefathers? What is the foundation of your "analysis"? Please, have the decency to provide concrete facts/evidence to buttress your statements. Derogatory remarks,snide comments and baseless shaming sentiments seems to be the only defence religious people can put up when mind boggling questions concerning their faith are put on table. Isn't that rich? And he says atheists are dumb. How typical!
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by harakiri(m): 4:18pm On Aug 22, 2011
@fyomer, as far as atheists are concerned life ends in death and that's it. If there is such a thing as "life after death", we know nothing about that and have no say in that regard. If YOU on the other hand are a religious individual who believes in the "after life", then the onus rests on you to prove that claim with CONCRETE FACTS/EVIDENCE and not the usual boring derailing remarks and sentiments that emanate from what you have been spoon fed and brainwashed with from childhood!
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Rgp92: 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2011
To religious people on NL, what have god done for you ?
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Tunmi(f): 4:21pm On Aug 22, 2011
The debate between religious believers and Atheists have been raging on for quite some time now with each side passionately aiming to disprove the other's claims.
However, no one on both sides at least to my knowledge  has ever given a reasonable answer or at least asked this question enough to make a meaningful impact on the debate.So what is the question?

1. To Atheists and the religious; What sort of convincing evidence would it take would it take for you to switch sides?
I would have to physically see God or an act of God. Actually, if the disciples of the flock, mainly the pastors, could give up their lavish lifestyles: the jets, mansions, then I would be more inclined to change sides. The death of the most evil politicians in Nigeria alone could do it. I said death, not murder. Or have them do a Bakassi-style confession before their death.

2. Also what sort of evidence or event do you think would convince the entire world in one single day to support your claims?
A normal day proves my point. That children could die at the hands of politicans and representatives who steal public funds is a prime example. Another is the fighting in Libya fueled by the West's greed.

3. If eventually,you found out you've been wrong all along, How would you feel?,what impact would it make in your life and what would you do?
I wouldn't feel bad at all. I would want to know why innocent people had to suffer. I would want to know how people could live in a manner that contradicts the religion they worship. I would actually be enlightened.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by philip0906(m): 4:23pm On Aug 22, 2011
harakiri:

@philip0906, you say atheists are "just dumb" and I wonder how you arrived at that conclusion. Are they dumb because they don't jump the bandwagon like everyone else? Are they dumb because they don't have faith in an imported religion that was used as a means of enslaving the minds of their forefathers? What is the foundation of your "analysis"? Please, have the decency to provide concrete facts/evidence to buttress your statements. Derogatory remarks,snide comments and baseless shaming sentiments seems to be the only defence religious people can put up when mind boggling questions concerning their faith are put on table. Isn't that rich? And he says atheists are dumb. How typical!
i arrived at that conclusion because u have just proved it. . .Did u read my post at all? undecided
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Enosa1(m): 4:24pm On Aug 22, 2011
I want to advice my fellow christain to pls stop trying to convince these atheist who satan has blinded their heart the reason why they don't want to acknowledge the existance of God is because they don't want to quit sin. Psalm 14:1 says they are corrupt, they have done and want to keep doing abominable things. There is none of them that is good. But i will not like those that are ignorants to perish. Those that truly want God to show himself to them should pray like this today. OH GOD MY CREATOR HELP ME TO KNOW YOU. It is a big mistake to live without knowing your creator. GOD HELP YOU. today. OH GOD MY CREATOR HELP ME TO KNOW YOU. It is a big mistake to live without knowing your creator. GOD HELP YOU.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by philip0906(m): 4:26pm On Aug 22, 2011
Tunmi:

The debate between religious believers and Atheists have been raging on for quite some time now with each side passionately aiming to disprove the other's claims.
I would have to physically see God or an act of God. [b]Actually, if the disciples of the flock, mainly the pastors, could give up their lavish lifestyles: the jets, mansions, then I would be more inclined to change sides. The death of the most evil politicians in Nigeria alone could do it. I said death, not murder. Or have them do a Bakassi-style confession before their death.

[color=#006600]A normal day proves my point. That children could die at the hands of politicans and representatives who steal public funds is a prime example. Another is the fighting in Libya fueled by the West's greed.

I wouldn't feel bad at all. I would want to know why innocent people had to suffer. I would want to know how people could live in a manner that contradicts the religion they worship. I would actually enlightened.

u don't even sound like an atheist. . .not smart at all
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Rgp92: 4:29pm On Aug 22, 2011
E.nosa:

I want to advice my fellow christain to pls stop trying to convince these atheist who satan has blinded their heart the reason why they don't want to acknowledge the existance of God is because they don't want to quit sin. Psalm 14:1 says they are corrupt, they have done and want to keep doing abominable things. There is none of them that is good. But i will not like those that are ignorants to perish. Those that truly want God to show himself to them should pray like this today. OH GOD MY CREATOR HELP ME TO KNOW YOU. It is a big mistake to live without knowing your creator. GOD HELP YOU. today. OH GOD MY CREATOR HELP ME TO KNOW YOU. It is a big mistake to live without knowing your creator. GOD HELP YOU.

Satan do this satan do that ffs StoP!!

What have god done for you? Tell me please
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Tunmi(f): 4:30pm On Aug 22, 2011
philip0906:

u don't even sound like an atheist. . .not smart at all
Yes because all atheists sound alike  shocked
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by harakiri(m): 4:32pm On Aug 22, 2011
@fyomer (again), in response to your question about your atheist friends, I'd like to inform you that we are the easiest people to get along with. Most of us were raised in religion but as time went on, the scales fell of our eyes and we've learned to take our destiny in our own hands (if there's anything like destiny,lol). The easiest way to get under their skin is to attempt imposing religion on them whereas you CAN'T prove the authenticity of your faith. Believe it or not, atheists are well versed in religion than the average church/mosque goer (personally, I have put several pastors and bible clutching jehovah witnesses to shame by showing how little they know their bible and opening their eyes to numerous contradictions in that book). The most honest people I know are atheists. Atheists are realists. Nuff said!
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Tunmi(f): 4:34pm On Aug 22, 2011
harakiri:

@fyomer (again), in response to your question about your atheist friends, I'd like to inform you that we are the easiest people to get along with. Most of us were raised in religion but as time went on, the scales fell of our eyes and we've learned to take our destiny in our own hands (if there's anything like destiny,lol). The easiest way to get under their skin is to attempt imposing religion on them whereas you CAN'T prove the authenticity of your faith. Believe it or not, atheists are well versed in religion than the average church/mosque goer (personally, I have put several pastors and bible clutching jehovah witnesses to shame by showing how little they know their bible and opening their eyes to numerous contradictions in that book). The most honest people I know are atheists. Atheists are realists. Nuff said!
why, thank you grin
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by philip0906(m): 4:38pm On Aug 22, 2011
harakiri:

lmao. . .Thank God u came out clean on that one.Jehovah's witnesses r just cultists who hide behind d Bibleso next time,I'll advise u to meet real Christians like Deeperlifers grin grin
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by harakiri(m): 4:46pm On Aug 22, 2011
@philip0906,whether it's deeper lifers/jehovah witnesses,pentecostal pastors etc I have come across a lot. Instead of providing concrete facts to your claims, it's the same ol same ol sentiments I talked about earlier you are putting forward. Is that the best you can do bruva? Utterly pathetic! ! !
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Okijajuju1(m): 4:47pm On Aug 22, 2011
Unlike Mazzaje that was raised in a dual religious home, I was born and raised a Christian, beacme a 'born-again' fanatic at the age of 14. How did I loose my faith and stop believing?! I read the bible for myself devoid of all that spiritual bullock and realised how ficticious it was, I'll list a few examples;

1. The account of creation never took into account the Dinosaurs, wholly mammoths and the Sabre tooth tiger amongs many other now extinct creatures, So what happened there?! The fact creation account states the creation of just Adam and Eve, On its own, this theory would not hold as inbreeding would have led to the early demise of the human race, And also, the bible says after Cain killed Abel, he went to a foreign land and there took for himself a wife, Who and where did she come from?

2.Noah!! How is it possible, that a drunkard and his 3 sons alone could build a ship of that magnitude and design with the technology avaliable to them at that time?! How did they manage to gather every animal, every specie and breed into the sheep?! What about the fishes?! We all know that there are salt water and fresh water fishes, and they can't survive in in other habitat except theirs, so how did they manage those?! How come a flooding of that magnitude didn't leave any clear geological markers for us to find?!

3. The nature of God (according to the Bible):: He creates Adam and eve, they sin and he dosent kill em. He create the Devil who attempts a mutiny and he dosent kill him but sends him down to hell or wherever, But then he dosent hesitate to burn down Sodom and Gomorrah, drown the world with floods nor carry out a genocide on Jericho. He is supposed to be supreme boss, yet he lost control of all his creation and even sent his only kid (who we do not know if he was created or concieved) to die for him to forgive and yet nothing.

4. Isreal: How come God creates the world and yet chooses Isreal as his own people and basically aids them in all the destruction that happened in the bible,

5. Job:: The story of Job showed that God and the Devil where still cordial in there relationship despite the fact that he had banished him. This story also showed God off as a gambler who willing put the life of Jobs children, his wealth and health on the line just so he could win a bet against the Devil, My question is if job had sinned, did he deserve to go to hell?

6. Jesus:: The whole idea of Jesus made no sense, He was born of a Virgin mother, in a lowly manger, no fanfare nothing, He is killed and still nothing spectacular and then he ressurects and appears to only his disciples and ascends into heaven in the pitch of darkness. Now if he had decended from heaven in full view of everyone, his claims of being next of kin to God would never have been disputed, he ressurected and still he dosent show himself to the nay-sayers to atleast clear their doubt. Also, why did he have to die? Was there a rule that said God would have to kill his own son for him to show mercy? I thought he was God and he made the rules?! Wasn't there an easier way to go about this?!

7. Heaven and hell:: sounds like a joke,

Now you would notice that I stuck to the bible, I'm currently reading the koran and I am yet to find anything credible here either,

++ What would it take to make me believe? I want to question God,
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by philip0906(m): 4:51pm On Aug 22, 2011
harakiri:

@philip0906,whether it's deeper lifers/jehovah witnesses,pentecostal pastors etc I have come across a lot. Instead of providing concrete facts to your claims, it's the same ol same ol sentiments I talked about earlier you are putting forward. Is that the best you can do bruva? Utterly pathetic! ! !
what d heck r u whining about?y r u trying 2 score cheap points in a game gone overtime?did u read my post at all? undecided
philip0906:

atheists r just dumb. . .they try 2 bring in logic in their arguement,when they avoid simple logical questions.
The arguement is centered round God d CREATOR and we the CREATURES
and until atheists realise this and draw their arguements 4rm this rather than just drawing up some newton rubbish,the better 4 them.Been busy though,would love 2 hang around this thread
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by divinereal: 4:52pm On Aug 22, 2011
Religion will continue to lose the debate on a 1000 fronts. Lol, best these religious people follow the path of the da lai lama and concede to the superiority of science and reason over age old myths and story telling.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by emisun(m): 4:56pm On Aug 22, 2011
as a pragmatic agnostic to the philosophical world and an atheist to the lame man,i have watched with shame how this religious fellows refuse to accept the verifiability criterion of meaningfulness which state that in order for a statement to considered as meaningful,it must be capable of being demonstrated. this religious bigots are hypocrites. they have chosen religion over science but yet they wouldn't let be or let go of technologies.religion is one of the determinants of African underdevelopment. and it's even worst in our universities as our so called science students don't believe in the scientific method as the method of establishing truth. in our universities as our so called science students don't believe in the scientific method as the method of establishing truth.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by divinereal: 4:59pm On Aug 22, 2011
Emisun Well Said!!!

religion is one of the determinants of African underdevelopment. and it's even worst in our universities as our so called science students don't believe in the scientific method as the method of establishing truth. in our universities as our so called science students don't believe in the scientific method as the method of establishing truth.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by harakiri(m): 4:59pm On Aug 22, 2011
@philip0906, if there's anyone not reading, it's you. How many atheists here brought up Darwin or Newton's theorems? How many talked about evolution? How many brought up the big bang issue? How many discussed the "ape theory" that describes man as having evolved from homo habilis,homo erectus to the current homo sapiens? You are totally self absorbed in your own myopic views and judgements to realise that what is being discussed here is RELIGION and not evolution. Who's the thread skimmer now huh? Typical!
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by fyomer: 5:04pm On Aug 22, 2011
[quote=Rgp9]

To religious people on NL, what have god done for you ?
[/quote]
@Rgp9 what has your atheism done for you.answer me.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by bigsean(m): 5:04pm On Aug 22, 2011
@harakiri,
i dont know u, but u have said alot of vital points which i strongly agree with.
i'm not an atheists but i do know that when it comes to religion, u can never have a logical debate with a religious person, cos they'll just throw in one or two lyrics about not doubting God or believing the bible in its entirety.
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by harakiri(m): 5:05pm On Aug 22, 2011
@divinereal, Thank you so so so much for reminding them. They keep shooting themselves in the foot with their baseless rants and you begin to wonder what impact education had on them (apart from earning a living).
Re: Question For Atheists And Religious People by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 22, 2011
rhythyson:

Nothing can change the Atheists not even 1000 Jesus or Mohammed but one thing will surely change them HELL FIRE grin cheesy cheesy grin angry

I feel you actually. It's easy to be swayed by the comforting thought of eternal paradise after death;who wouldnt be blessed and refreshed by that feeling if it were true afterall ??
You think say na only u like better thing? Who no one go heaven?

Being religious is the easy part, trust me. Personally it took me ten years to make up my mind that I wasnt going to be sold on the fairy tale any more, I regret that it took that long.

fyomer:

Atheist on NL,pls say something on life after death.

Life after death is essentially what it is. Death. The final stop. My expiry.
Which makes it all the more imperative to lead my life with urgency, honor and respect rather than deluding myself every sunday to long whoops of exaltation at being saved, being loved, and so forth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11)

Today [december7] Is Pastor Chris Birthday / When I See The Blood, I Will Pass Over You - Olamide Obire / "Life Getting Harder For Nigerians Under Buhari" - Cardinal Okogie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.