Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,485 members, 7,830,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal (24459 Views)

Festus Keyamo: Tinubu Is Very Unfair To This Man Who Did A Lot For Him / Atiku's Star Witness faults US Court Judgment On Tinubu's Forfeiture Of $460,000 / Sunday Igboho Not Criminal – Soyinka Rebukes DSS, Buhari Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by UNDFTD: 5:11pm On Nov 10, 2022
Legally, a forfeiture is when one loses a right, a privilege, or a property without recompense as a result of violating the law or breaching a legal obligation. Here in the US under federal law, there are both criminal and civil forfeitures. The proceeding in which Tiefnubu forfeited $460,000 was NEVER a civil proceeding but criminal. So, how can this man who claims to be a lawyer of repute make such a pronouncement? It's no secret that Tiefnubu was involved in a criminal proceeding in Chicago, Illinois when he forfeited the funds which the court deemed proceeds of criminality.

3 Likes

Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by goody234: 5:13pm On Nov 10, 2022
UNDFTD:
Legally, a forfeiture is when one loses a right, a privilege, or a property without recompense as a result of violating the law [/b]or [b]breaching a legal obligation. Here in the US under federal law, there are both criminal and civil forfeitures. The proceeding in which Tiefnubu forfeited $460,000 was NEVER a civil proceeding but criminal. So, how can this man who claims to be a lawyer of repute make such a pronouncement? It's no secret that Tiefnubu was involved in a criminal proceeding in Chicago, Illinois when he forfeited the funds which the court deemed proceeds of criminality.

My bro we know better most nigerians know this, ..its his sycophants pissing in their pants trying to defend this utter shambles of a candidate ..its a train wreck now

2 Likes

Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by IJEYdiamond(f): 7:49pm On Nov 10, 2022
Greed ooooo.... God have mercy..
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by 276omobolade: 8:22pm On Nov 10, 2022
I Pity this Kayamo guy.You can never defend Tinubu without been stvpidI Pity this Kayamo guy.You can never defend Tinubu without been stvpid...

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by PointZerom: 8:23pm On Nov 10, 2022
tesppidd:
I watched Keyamo on Channels last night.

Channels tv should have invited another lawyer along with Keyamo to expantiate on all the legal jargons Keyamo was spewing.

I don't want to be emotional and sentimental about his explanation because I know that law and common sense sometimes do not align.

We need lawyers to either corroborate or counter Keyamo's explanations.

For instance;

*Is it true that fine and forfeiture are not the same in law?
*Is it true that Tinubu's accounts were the ones sued but not the man Tinubu? ( This does not make sense in logic but I don't know about in legality)
*Is it true that accounts can be sued but not the person who owns the account.?
*Is it true that Tinubu was not a defendant in the case? And if so that does not indict him?

Lawyers give us answers.

Seun..... Forfeit is a penalty.

KEYAMO...No it's not a penalty.

Seun... Dictionary says it's a penalty.

KEYAMO... Dictionary meaning is different from legal meaning.

Honestly Keyamo is a disgrace to SANship.

2 Likes

Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by PointZerom: 8:30pm On Nov 10, 2022
GeneralDae:

Since you get sense well well, also ask yourself, would a drug criminal only forfeit money?

Yes, depending on the bargaining and how the court or the prosecutors wants it at that time.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Glink2018(m): 8:38pm On Nov 10, 2022
Benoxvals:

The SAN implicated his principal even more.
Opening 10 different accounts in 3 different banks in a foreign land..

Forfeiture of almost half a billion because of tax invasion...

Using his Mothers and relative names for cover ups..

If these are not criminal enough then I wonder what is.
I don’t even want to add that there is no record of about 20 years of Tinubu’s early life.

Criminally mysterious I must say.

When do you become a US judge....judging a case that wasn't termed, criminal by a competent court of jurisdiction in the US?

Some.of you here are Oponu
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Glink2018(m): 8:44pm On Nov 10, 2022
PointZerom:

Seun..... Forfeit is a penalty.

KEYAMO...No it's not a penalty.

Seun... Dictionary says it's a penalty.

KEYAMO... Dictionary meaning is different from legal meaning.

Honestly Keyamo is a disgrace to SANship.

Why is.he a.disgrace...?
A renowned lawyer was lecturing Seun about the letter from the US court and you are saying he is a disgrace....is seun a lawyer? Does he know anything about the interpretation of any law?

So, if you have a case in court and a paper was served...whose advice are you going to follow.... journalist's or a lawyer's advice

You are so mentally -blinded that you cannot think straight...
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Benoxvals(m): 8:51pm On Nov 10, 2022
Glink2018:

When do you become a US judge....judging a case that wasn't termed, criminal by a competent court of jurisdiction in the US?

Some.of you here are Oponu

You must be the son of the judge that presided over the case..Wisest man.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by PointZerom: 8:51pm On Nov 10, 2022
Glink2018:

Why is.he a.disgrace...?
A renowned lawyer was lecturing Seun about the letter from the US court and you are saying he is a disgrace....is seun a lawyer? Does he know anything about the interpretation of any law?

So, if you have a case in court and a paper was served...whose advice are you going to follow.... journalist's or a lawyer's advice

What's the meaning of forfeit?
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by IfnobeGod20: 9:13pm On Nov 10, 2022
Glink2018:

Why is.he a.disgrace...?

Are lawyers custodian of law? If they are, why do they lose cases?
They won't be losing cases, if they know it all. If another lawyer comes now, you may be surprise hearing different thing from him.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Phraences: 9:20pm On Nov 10, 2022
A country that glorifies yahoo and acquisition of wealth by all means, worshipping of the rich, obviously people will see nothing wrong with Tinubu acquiring money through these means. They know in their heart he is guilty but they don't care whether because of tribalism, foolishness or what they stand to gain. Some might choose to overlook because they feel he has changed and he will make Nigeria to be as industrious as Lagos state.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Glink2018(m): 9:25pm On Nov 10, 2022
IfnobeGod20:

Are lawyers custodian of law? If they are, why do they lose cases?
They won't be losing cases, if they know it all. If another lawyer comes now, you may be surprise hearing different thing from him.

So.dodgy and irrational comment. ..

Do you think it?is easy to become SAN?

SAN is interpreting the court-certified true copy paper and you believe in a journalist's comment more than a SAN...

I lost hope in some.of. the e-miscreants on the NairaLand platform
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Glink2018(m): 9:29pm On Nov 10, 2022
Benoxvals:

You must be the son of the judge that presided over the case..Wisest man.

Imbecilic comments
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Glink2018(m): 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2022
PointZerom:

What's the meaning of forfeit?

Zombie....the same question that Seun ask Festus Keyamo...and an adequate response was. given...

Your fuddle-mindedness hasn't left you...slowpoke...perhaps you are mentality -retardiated

Seun is foolishly extrapolating English dictionary meaning of fortieture...and the English dictionary meaning is different from the Legal dictionary meaning...
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by PointZerom: 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2022
Glink2018:

Zombie....the same question that Seun ask Festus Keyamo...and an adequate response was. given...

Your fuddle-mindedness hasn't left you...slowpoke...perhaps you are mentality -retardiated

Seun is foolishly extrapolating English dictionary meaning of fortieture...and the English dictionary meaning is different from the Legal dictionary meaning...

What's the legal meaning?
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by PointZerom: 9:40pm On Nov 10, 2022
Glink2018:

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Boniwhite: 10:15pm On Nov 10, 2022
MrOkenwa:
Keyamo is doing one of the most difficult jobs in the world.
and I don't envy him right now cool
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Glink2018(m): 10:47pm On Nov 10, 2022
PointZerom:

grin grin grin

And perhaps you have issues about this case or legal paper.....you might approach US court for further investigation, arraignment and perhaps prosecution....

You cant be using your stunted fingers and be typing gibberish on the pages of social media....dont be a social media warrior...take.the bull by the horn and get a court judgement that will indict Timubu..then we will. all.know that he is a party to the drug cartel...
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by frog12: 1:56am On Nov 11, 2022
forfeiture is criminal case
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by bayelsaowei(m): 5:08am On Nov 11, 2022
tishbite41:
Keyamo is mentally stupid
They seized your money from you and appealed to you not to come after them

Is this man OK?!
shey ona don see am?
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Harmony4sure(m): 1:38pm On Nov 11, 2022
Brendaniel:
I just wonder how a human being who wishes himself and his fellow human beings well will be supporting Tinubu, the man is an example of every bad leadership qualities, for those of his supporters claiming that Tinubu only paid his tax or some nonsense analysis to support him, just to let you know, there is something called plea bargain in justice and they use it a lot in America and it goes most times like this:

1. Accepting you committed a crime to reduce your time in prison

2. Accepting you committed a crime and also forfeit the proceeds of that crime to either reduce your time or get forgiven of the crime depending on the weight of the crime.

3. Accepting you committed a crime and help the the government with investigation by giving every information that will lead to the arrest and prosecution of other people involved in the same crime, at the same time you may also forfeit all the proceeds of that crime to the government to either reduce your time in prison or total freedom.

The truth is there is always an acceptance to the crime first before any of these can be made, I have seen where a U.S border patrol caught a Mexican lady with drugs at the border trying to enter U.S, they knew she was sent by a bigger cartel, they offered her an option right there to either go to jail or release the information of the people who sent her, she released the info and they freed her right there on the spot and let her into the country and she had to forfeit the drugs and other things they could lay their hands on that they felt were proceeds or linked with the crime.

Tinubu chose one of these options - You cannot forfeit what was not illegally gotten in the first place
Thanks bro , wish their supporters will not be blind to read this
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by MrColdsweat: 1:58pm On Nov 11, 2022
Freebills12:
My only annoyance is that a tribe that claimed to be most educated and sophisticated tribe in Nigeria is championing for this Man! Is this the best candidate this particular tribe can offer for Nigerians?

Sophisticated my hairy arse
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by lailo: 9:42pm On Nov 11, 2022
IfnobeGod20:

Please which moral are you trying to teach? I do hope you won't tell your children same you wrote here?
See the way you're glorifying bad thing because of the interest you have in Tinubu. Please can you say the same thing, if it were other candidates in his shoe?
Which kind moral authority will a known thief teach people. This your mindset is devilish and full of immoral.
Lastly, how many people did Obama and Nelson Mandela killed?
Sit down there. They will come and tell u in your sitting room.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by lailo: 9:47pm On Nov 11, 2022
Freebills12:
[color=#000099][/color]

How can it be? It's a fallacious statement, you are telling me we are to hold Muhammad and Allah culprit for the sins and terrorist attacks of Boko Haram since they are Moslems? Marshal out the projects Tinibu did as a state governor let's compare it with that of Obi.
You people are running away from mentioning what Tinibu did! It's the only I hold you people at ransom. I know you will run away like others
It is an insult to the achievement of Tinubu to say i should mention one thing. Even the dullest of the governors will have numerous achievements to name to their credit. So I don't answer stupid question. Google is your friend.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Freebills12: 9:58pm On Nov 11, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
lailo:

It is an insult to the achievement of Tinubu to say i should mention one thing. Even the dullest of the governors will have numerous achievements to name to their credit. So I don't answer stupid question. Google is your friend.

In as much as you may try to sound politically correct, bro I have checked, there is no tangible project executed by him. That's why you see people like you mentioning Fashola, Ambode and Sanwo Olu projects as that of Tinibu.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by lailo: 9:59pm On Nov 11, 2022
Freebills12:
[color=#000099][/color]

How can it be? It's a fallacious statement, you are telling me we are to hold Muhammad and Allah culprit for the sins and terrorist attacks of Boko Haram since they are Moslems? Marshal out the projects Tinibu did as a state governor let's compare it with that of Obi.
You people are running away from mentioning what Tinibu did! It's the only I hold you people at ransom. I know you will run away like others
Ogbeni. What I'm trying to say is that death is different from slumber. When Tinubu came in in 1999, Lagos was a shadow of itself. He had a development plan for Lagos, started it, of course he cant finish it, those who started the building of Dubai didn't live to finish it. He passed the dream to successive governors and religiously follow through. That is the Lagos you are seeing today which is even a work in progress. It is not by flook or luck or providence or by one former capital. Some people sat down and draft a developmental plan and follow it through. The case of Obi and Anambra is different. Obi came, did his own, of course did some good works and left. No succession plan. All his works today amount to nothing in the present state of anambra. That is the difference btw anambra and lagos. That is why Obi himself can not live in a state he governed for 8 years. No success at the long run. He comes to live in Lagos purposefully and conscientiously developed by another governor. That is what im saying. Leadership is measured by this, not by smooth talking.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by lailo: 10:04pm On Nov 11, 2022
Freebills12:
[color=#000099][/color]

In as much as you may try to sound politically correct, bro I have checked, there is no tangible project executed by him. That's why you see people like you mentioning Fashola, Ambode and Sanwo Olu projects as that of Tinibu.
Thank you.
NEXT undecided
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by Freebills12: 10:16pm On Nov 11, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
lailo:

Ogbeni. What I'm trying to say is that death is different from slumber. When Tinubu came in in 1999, Lagos was a shadow of itself. He had a development plan for Lagos, started it, of course he cant finish it, those who started the building of Dubai didn't live to finish it. He passed the dream to successive governors and religiously follow through. That is the Lagos you are seeing today which is even a work in progress. It is not by flook or luck or providence or by one former capital. Some people sat down and draft a developmental plan and follow it through. The case of Obi and Anambra is different. Obi came, did his own, of course did some good works and left. No succession plan. All his works today amount to nothing in the present state of anambra. That is the difference btw anambra and lagos. That is why Obi himself can not live in a state he governed for 8 years. No success at the long run. He comes to live in Lagos purposefully and conscientiously developed by another governor. That is what im saying. Leadership is measured by this, not by smooth talking.

So you have confirmed that as a Lagos State governor Tinibu did not cite any tangible project? Talking of master plan anyone can draw a master plan, El Rufia drew Abuja master plan. So the only project of Tinibu as Lagos State governor for eight years is that he drew master plan! Wonderful
Do you know why federal capital left Lagos? It's because it is overpopulated. Lagos has been Federal capital for 78 years and Obi as a business lived in Lagos for more than 20 years before joining politics. He is still a business man and he will still live in Lagos State because the Federal government has refused to open Eastern sea port
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by IfnobeGod20: 3:10pm On Nov 12, 2022
lailo:

Please can you post here the successor plan that was drafted by Tinubu that people are following. At least the sample should be on net or handy by now.
You guys will just seat down and concoct lies from the pit of hell and start dishing them to the public just to score cheap political gain.
You guys have been telling us Lagos has blueprint made by Tinubu but no one has seen it till date. Mr. Man, Lagos is a peculiar state, that even the dullest governor in Nigeria can become a superstar governor if given the privilege to manage or govern it. No blueprint anywhere, they come and invest in the need of the people and not because they are following any blueprint.
Besides, stop telling lie, Peter Obi doesn't live in Lagos. He lives with his people in Agulu in Anambra. If you won't mind, can you name his house address in Lagos for people's consumption.
Re: Keyamo: Tinubu’s Forfeiture Of $460,000 Was Civil, Not Criminal by lailo: 7:36pm On Nov 12, 2022
IfnobeGod20:

Please can you post here the successor plan that was drafted by Tinubu that people are following. At least the sample should be on net or handy by now.
You guys will just seat down and concoct lies from the pit of hell and start dishing them to the public just to score cheap political gain.
You guys have been telling us Lagos has blueprint made by Tinubu but no one has seen it till date. Mr. Man, Lagos is a peculiar state, that even the dullest governor in Nigeria can become a superstar governor if given the privilege to manage or govern it. No blueprint anywhere, they come and invest in the need of the people and not because they are following any blueprint.
Besides, stop telling lie, Peter Obi doesn't live in Lagos. He lives with his people in Agulu in Anambra. If you won't mind, can you name his house address in Lagos for people's consumption.
This one na mumu. No know anything grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Inuwa Yahaya: We Won't Make Mistake Like Niger Delta People / We Are Now In Full Control Of Rivers - PDP Boasts / You Can’t Blackmail, Intimidate Us — PDP Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.