Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming (35667 Views)

Maize Farming: Naira land members ventured into.maize farming (Video+pics) / All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria / Garri Business: My Journey So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Treadway: 3:40pm On Dec 11, 2022
symbianDON:
Op please add cassava to your farm make equation balance grin
you took the words right out of my mouth. Op, take this advice seriously. Mixed cropping in this instance is vital, don't do only corn, include cassava. Also, don't sell the soft wet corn, harvest them and let them dry out in a protected shed or silo. Then shell it and sell the grains. Again, include cassava, as maize alone won't make you enough money/profit. I also did this years ago when I had access to 4hectares at Arigidi-Akoko. Cassava and corn..sold the corn to various buyers, sold the cassava to FIIRO. Made cool cash. Also read the instructions (including online) for herbicides before you use them. If a herbicide will kill narrow leaved plants, it will kill you corn too. So you use a broad-leaved herbicide instead.

Keep it up!

6 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Kanchelskiz: 3:40pm On Dec 11, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
Another setback was a mishap occurs, caused by wind when i was applying chemical to kill the weeds under the maize plants. It damaged about 20 rows of the young maize plant.
Vid loading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHylUD0VAc

You should have used nicosulfron(striker) for the weed control.
It is way safer than paraquat for maize

3 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by KNOWMORE56: 3:46pm On Dec 11, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
Another setback was a mishap occurs, caused by wind when i was applying chemical to kill the weeds under the maize plants. It damaged about 20 rows of the young maize plant.
Vid loading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHylUD0VAc

This is how it happened to me about August/september. Insects invaded my ugu (pumpkin) farm...

A woman told me to go and sniper or ortá-pia-pia (insecticide)...

O boi, na so chemical burn burn my small crop farm o o, including the maize plants.

2 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by seborrhic: 3:47pm On Dec 11, 2022
baconline:

I totally disagree with u, farming is not lucrative, a maize farm does not yeild more than 20% profit after all expenses. Except technology is brought into it, but the normal way it's done in Nigeria it's not worth the effort
You couldn't be more right.
That's why I sometimes wonder how someone will claim he/she is doing well financially farming on a plot or most 6 plots of land,most likely rented by the farmer.
You pay rent on the farm,buy chemicals or fertiliser for the land,buy seeds.Planting time you hire workers,even if one or 2.Harvesting time same.By the time you remove the invariable losses of crops every farm must incur then remove your operational cost from income,I don't see where that big profit comes from.
Unless there is something ordinary folks like us don't know about the secret of profit farming.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Munzy14(m): 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2022
Interesting
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by LegalWolf: 3:56pm On Dec 11, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

Why should I?
People have stopped complaining and started working!

Imagine we had 1000 youths doing same thing he is doing and another thousand doing same for Cassava

Trust me Bro, if we all don’t get to work and contribute OUR OWN quota, Nigeria won’t move.

Fair point!
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by ABBEYsammy01(m): 3:57pm On Dec 11, 2022
Your farm look very neat and clean. What type of chemical did you apply?
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Shantyken(m): 3:59pm On Dec 11, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
#Fertilizer
I have bought 150kg i.e 3bags of NPK fertilizer and 25kg of Urea, 1ltr of foliar/super agro liquid fertiliser
how much is npk/urea over there
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Brownshoe: 4:03pm On Dec 11, 2022
My egunsi farm doing well

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by llade(m): 4:03pm On Dec 11, 2022
smiley
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Babisha10(m): 4:04pm On Dec 11, 2022
From Abia to Borno is too far Man why not Taraba, Benue or Nasarawa State?

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Latestreport1: 4:05pm On Dec 11, 2022
Ghanian Fans Laments over Wizkid absence at a concert in Accra, Ghana

Watch Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=467_JwPCRHE
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by ictplotter(m): 4:06pm On Dec 11, 2022
JoeNL22:
Nice.....you need to alias with Obi.
He must make you part of his northern agricultural agenda.
We play too much in this country , this a serious thread. Pls take ur obituary issue away here. No polling unit in nairaland
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Roboto11: 4:12pm On Dec 11, 2022
Agbado is good.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Illegal1(m): 4:26pm On Dec 11, 2022
Congratulation in advance bro..

I see tinubu buying agbagbo directly frm you...

dis i hv seen..
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by JoeNL22(m): 4:32pm On Dec 11, 2022
ictplotter:

We play too much in this country , this a serious thread. Pls take ur obituary issue away here. No polling unit in nairaland
Recieve sense you refused. Now you are on NL saying rubbish.......truly, wisdom is far from you
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Harmless1b(m): 4:38pm On Dec 11, 2022
BAT must have sponsored it I guess
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by sunboy(m): 4:39pm On Dec 11, 2022
baconline:

I totally disagree with u, farming is not lucrative, a maize farm does not yeild more than 20% profit after all expenses. Except technology is brought into it, but the normal way it's done in Nigeria it's not worth the effort

Having owned a farm land in the past, I can authoritatively say farming is lucrative ONLY IF,

1. The farmers control their sales instead of the marketers

2. Storage facilities are available (this we lack and this single problem causes over 50% lost of many farmers yield, especially those with veggies and fruits)

3. Government investments to loan or borrow farmers machineries at a cheap rate for those that can’t afford to buy, will have to GO TO MECHANIZED FARMING… for farming to be profitable. Commercial farming is a must!

6 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by sunboy(m): 4:50pm On Dec 11, 2022
Illegal1:
Congratulation in advance bro..

I see tinubu buying agbagbo directly frm you...

dis i hv seen..

Must you bring politics to everything ?

Out of you your ignorance, did you know that the corn farming in the US is a 64bn industry?

You know some countries without oil survive on just coffee, flower, wheat, corn farming proceeds ?

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by sunboy(m): 4:51pm On Dec 11, 2022
Harmless1b:
BAT must have sponsored it I guess

Must you bring politics to everything ?

To expose your ignorance, did you know that the corn farming in the US is a 64bn dollars industry?

You know some countries without oil survive on just coffee, flower, wheat, corn farming proceeds ?

3 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by sunboy(m): 4:54pm On Dec 11, 2022
SirJerrie:
This is Good...

Obi Talked able about using Sambisa wholly for agricultural purposes, and some people insulted him..
He's seeing what others are not and cannot see!!!!

Vote wisely!!!

You always want to bring politics to everywhere this days… fyi, Sambisa already has its purpose. It’s a national forest! Incase you do not know that or maybe not know what makes a piece of land to be considered a protect land you can good that and educate Obi.

There are plenty empty lands all over the north to use for farming though. Just saying. Can you stop talking about politics here ?
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by SLOVFO(m): 4:59pm On Dec 11, 2022
eagleu:
OP, good job.
Please research or google the cancer causing effects of the weedkiller and pesticide you are using.
I have a family of father, 2 daughters and grand son farmer patients with different types of cancer from using paraquate. While the father and grand son have leukemia, the daughters have oral cancer where the tongues can't stop growing. The tongue of the oldest daughter has now grown just above her breasts, she can't breathe without a tracheostomy, and can't eat except through a G-tube on her stomach.
Best of luck.

I wish farmers will take note...most farmers use pesticides and other farm chemicals indiscriminately and without the use of PPEs.

2 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by shomutuski(m): 5:07pm On Dec 11, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
#Pest attack
My first major set back in the business was pest attack... There is this notorious cream like larvae with 3 pairs of leg called WHITE GRUB, this nasty pest destroy about 20% of the seedling. Couple with caterpillar feeding on the buds.. Which i have to replant/check the ones that died.

its called maize army worm
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by IamtheTruth1(m): 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:
Fantastic!

Kudos to the OP!

This are the kind of intellectuals that have capitalized on Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s statement.

With the USA being the largest producer of maize, we just need a thousand technocrats like the OP, and we will overtake the US

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is so proud of you OP

Asiwaju knows we are lagging behind economically, and he is not denying it. With people like you, we are guaranteed of a better tomorrow.

Wetin you dey talk self. Asiwaju knows we are lagging behind? How many people dey farm for Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Evidenx(m): 5:17pm On Dec 11, 2022
Ikennaford:
RGo and teach this your farming in the villages for free not on naira land, non of us deh do farming, na yahoo Boys and girls full here, plus aspiring oloshos
For your information am not a Yahoo boy and I will never be.
Some of us are still clean not wanting to soil our hands or names.

2 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by SirJerrie(m): 5:23pm On Dec 11, 2022
sunboy:

You always want to bring politics to everywhere this days… fyi, Sambisa already has its purpose. It’s a[i] national forest! [/i]Incase you do not know that or maybe not know what makes a piece of land to be considered a protect land you can good that and educate Obi.

There are plenty empty lands all over the north to use for farming though. Just saying. Can you stop talking about politics here ?

Lol...
"National forest" turned Housing Project for Bandits and terrorists...

All these stories you're telling yourself... Sha vote wisely ( if at all you even have a PVC)
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by mrkings84(m): 5:29pm On Dec 11, 2022
3 words come to mind......

1- agbado
2- apc
3- tinubu
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by sunboy(m): 6:38pm On Dec 11, 2022
SirJerrie:

Lol...
"National forest" turned Housing Project for Bandits and terrorists...

All these stories you're telling yourself... Sha vote wisely ( if at all you even have a PVC)

Telling myself ? Smh.

To make it a farm land like you said, you still need to clear the terrorist right ? Do the same and keep its flora and restore it as a national forest.

We lost so much flora and fauna due to this clearing everywhere you humans lay hands on. Leave some for Mother Nature. A national forest should remain so, Nigeria has plenty unused and unlabeled lands that can be conveniently used for farming.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Igbek76: 6:39pm On Dec 11, 2022
Welldone! this how the new Nigeria @ Tinubu will build will look like.
Green revolution, a nation that can feed herself,pride herself in agric value chains, economy driven by super infrastructures as the bedrock.
Economy that can move farm products,goods and peope from Bornu to lagos within few hours,powered by solid rail infrastructures.
Thats how sustainable economy looks like. Not imported container economy that takes our jobs,farm lands and factory away.

Unlike the 419,yahoo yahoo, end sars criminal Igbos looking for short cuts to progress and prosperity. Hard work is the key to sustainable economics success. The global corn market is worth hundreds of billions dollars.
Agbado can transform the Nigeria economy. Obi supporters in their acute ignorance,rage and MMM expectations
from 419 Obi cannot see that.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Burgerlomo: 7:04pm On Dec 11, 2022
May God almighty bless your hustle. Amen.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by ijoba22(m): 7:40pm On Dec 11, 2022
BettingScam:
Fulani cow will soon eat all your farm
Bad belle, enemy of progress

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

After 7 Months Of Cultivation, Nigerian Soldier Harvests Her Rice (photos) / Top 30 Practical Agro-allied Business Ideas And Opportunities / Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.