Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,816 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming (35696 Views)

Maize Farming: Naira land members ventured into.maize farming (Video+pics) / All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria / Garri Business: My Journey So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by delvzy(m): 8:21pm On Dec 11, 2022
OP, i must commend you for sharing something like this to us all. I just wan ask a few Qs if you don't mind.

1. What was the estimated capital you set aside for this venture?

2. How did you have access to land? Was it on lease or fully owned?

3. What advise will you give a newbie in the Agriculture space?
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:53pm On Dec 11, 2022
emmaodet:

So you did this farm in bornu state?

Because the farm looks clean and clear of weeds unlike south
Dude did his home work well, nothing like he did it in Borno state. Grass no dey grow for Borno?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by eagleu: 9:27pm On Dec 11, 2022
SLOVFO:

I wish farmers will take note...most farmers use pesticides and other farm chemicals indiscriminately and without the use of PPEs.

Paraquat is cheap in Africa, because they can't sell them in US where it was originally used for many years.
Why are they no longer sold in US?
The courts have found that the chemicals caused cancer, so the company is paying billions of dollars to farmers who developed cancer from their chemical. I wish our people in Africa will be more informed.

2 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Harmless1b(m): 9:52pm On Dec 11, 2022
sunboy:

Must you bring politics to everything ?

To expose your ignorance, did you know that the corn farming in the US is a 64bn dollars industry?

You know some countries without oil survive on just coffee, flower, wheat, corn farming proceeds ?

I know, and also know that ur farm will improve more when BAT take over
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by zigzagluv: 12:06am On Dec 12, 2022
You can commend him without putting others down, You cant tell people how to spend their money , or path to choose, The youth doing Bet
is their money they are spending and they think they are investing their money.....everybody cant been a farm
Siberia01:
cool

God bless you OP for what you're doing
Your one of the few youths adding value to the economy...
Others are either hoping to win 200million from Bet9ja one day!

Others have bought some speculative assets called crypto hoping to become a billionaire in 2024 without doing anything ...

Let's work together and make this country great

Japa is not for everybody
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by zigzagluv: 12:07am On Dec 12, 2022
is not by having one million people, is the capital
Nobleou:
If Nigeria could have one million people like you in agriculture then one problem is solved
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by domack99(m): 5:38am On Dec 12, 2022
How do one go about clearing the land like yours without use of manual labour and not so expensive mechanised method
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Nobleou(m): 6:05am On Dec 12, 2022
zigzagluv:
is not by having one million people, is the capital
He has the capital that's why he started the agriculture and I said if Nigeria could have one million people like him...

I hope you understand now?

(Meaning, people like him who have the capital)
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Masabannyc(m): 10:34am On Dec 12, 2022
I seconded the OP submission that farming is lucrative and very very lucrative. Point of correction, you won't see more than 20% profit like you said if you are a lazy farmer or doing a big man boss farmer. Because labourer and supervisor will have eaten all your profit before you know. Follow who know road and be very active yourself. Thanks.

baconline:

I totally disagree with u, farming is not lucrative, a maize farm does not yeild more than 20% profit after all expenses. Except technology is brought into it, but the normal way it's done in Nigeria it's not worth the effort
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Masabannyc(m): 10:48am On Dec 12, 2022
With your stated factors and variables, you are right but once don't rightly, your profit will come. Do you consider your plant population, do fertilize well. If yes your profit will come handy. I wish I can do voice note to explain good farming because I'm not a fan of writing long explaination.

seborrhic:

You couldn't be more right.
That's why I sometimes wonder how someone will claim he/she is doing well financially farming on a plot or most 6 plots of land,most likely rented by the farmer.
You pay rent on the farm,buy chemicals or fertiliser for the land,buy seeds.Planting time you hire workers,even if one or 2.Harvesting time same.By the time you remove the invariable losses of crops every farm must incur then remove your operational cost from income,I don't see where that big profit comes from.
Unless there is something ordinary folks like us don't know about the secret of profit farming.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Treassured: 12:56pm On Dec 12, 2022
I'm also thinking of Venturing Into something like this next year which means I will be relocating.

My utmost fear Is the Insecurity Menace In the North *sigh*

I will probably relocate to either Ibadan or Osun. Seems there are still enough land for commercial farming.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Treassured: 1:12pm On Dec 12, 2022
Nobleou:
If Nigeria could have one million people like you in agriculture then one problem is solved

One million Is too much.

Even one hundred thousand people will do with strong government backing. Food will be surplus. Inflated food prices will die a natural death.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Treassured: 1:14pm On Dec 12, 2022
CoronaVirusRelo:

Why should I?
People have stopped complaining and started working!

Imagine we had 1000 youths doing same thing he is doing and another thousand doing same for Cassava

Trust me Bro, if we all don’t get to work and contribute OUR OWN quota, Nigeria won’t move.

The Insecurity Is the biggest problem.

If Government can solve this problem. Most people will go back to farming with peace of mind.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Willie2015: 1:43pm On Dec 12, 2022
baconline:

I totally disagree with u, farming is not lucrative, a maize farm does not yeild more than 20% profit after all expenses. Except technology is brought into it, but the normal way it's done in Nigeria it's not worth the effort

As far as it is in the North ...
Yield is more than 20 percent...
Cost of hiring land is cheaper...
They use cows to plough instead of tractors...
Army of cheap labor to use...
Market is always available...
Since the South depend on the North for grains...
Their middlemen are considerate...
I enjoyed farming in the North...
I cant try it in the South
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 8:50pm On Dec 16, 2022
Franzinni:
I love farming ... It's the language of nature ..

I can't wait to begin farming again ... After Fulani heardsmen have decided to leave farmers alone

I love the idea of sowing and reaping ... Op may God Almighty continue to enlarge your coast ... May you yield 1000 fold, your thread is relaxing to me .

Amen. Thanks so much bro

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 8:55pm On Dec 16, 2022
Ikennaford:
RGo and teach this your farming in the villages for free not on naira land, non of us deh do farming, na yahoo Boys and girls full here, plus aspiring oloshos
Thanks for the advise, but i can see other ppl are following and enjoying the thread.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 8:57pm On Dec 16, 2022
Juanmike:
As long as you not an Urchin, It's good my me. More power...
LOL am independent voter.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:05pm On Dec 16, 2022
blkmum700:
I love your courage, I can’t even think of going that far north for farming, are you from the north ?borno of all places ha mai hand no de .
LOL yes, am a bonafide citizen of Borno... i was in Abia staying with my moms old friend helping managing her store...

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:10pm On Dec 16, 2022
BettingScam:
Fulani cow will soon eat all your farm
LOL the dread Fulani herdsmen wives and kids are our laborers here...
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:14pm On Dec 16, 2022
Bluntguy:
I'm interested in maize farming. And what happened at last @op?
Am sorry i lost my phone, the one i used to snap and video the farm, im currently using a tecno T413 a keypad phone, its really hard to type... Am sorry 4 d delay
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:16pm On Dec 16, 2022
Atlantis585:

Good efforts my brother. In this day and age when most people are complaining of unemployment and only care about how to japa, it’s good to see someone making this serious effort.

May God protect you and your farm from devilish APC herdsmen.
Amen thanks alot. i have just finished the farm today.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:23pm On Dec 16, 2022
nkemoma:
Farm only for your house to avoid visits from Bouharis kinsmen
But you cant get enof land to cultivate in the ouse na, except the one u roast or boil.. But thank goodness they aint callous here, but friendly... They do help us with labor sef due to shortage of labourers at the peak of harvest.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:30pm On Dec 16, 2022
Prokaryote:
I dey follow u.... How were you able to access land in borno. Kindly share cost and experience.
Its a family land i cultivate, but you also hire it... 20k/40k per hectare it depend on the quality of d land.

I lost my phone, i find really hard to type as am usin keypad phone nw.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:33pm On Dec 16, 2022
DSC7:
Wooooowww.....

You are doing well brotherly...

Bigger you i pray.....

Please don't hesitate to shot any agbado munching Bat on sight....

Bats are threats to our collective efforts...
grin
DSC7:
Wooooowww.....

You are doing well brotherly...

Bigger you i pray.....

Please don't hesitate to shot any agbado munching Bat on sight....

Bats are threats to our collective efforts...
LOL
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:34pm On Dec 16, 2022
toujurs:
Wow nice, No herdsmen attack shocked
Nope
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:37pm On Dec 16, 2022
UNDFTD:

Just be prepared because the terrorist Fulani herdsmen would send in their cattle when the crops are grown to decimate them.
Wetin this one dey talk... Fulani will just send in their cattles just like that? Like na dem papa get the farm? LOL
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:40pm On Dec 16, 2022
eagleu:
OP, good job.
Please research or google the cancer causing effects of the weedkiller and pesticide you are using.
I have a family of father, 2 daughters and grand son farmer patients with different types of cancer from using paraquate. While the father and grand son have leukemia, the daughters have oral cancer where the tongues can't stop growing. The tongue of the oldest daughter has now grown just above her breasts, she can't breathe without a tracheostomy, and can't eat except through a G-tube on her stomach.
Best of luck.
sad its really
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:47pm On Dec 16, 2022
eagleu:
OP, good job.
Please research or google the cancer causing effects of the weedkiller and pesticide you are using.
I have a family of father, 2 daughters and grand son farmer patients with different types of cancer from using paraquate. While the father and grand son have leukemia, the daughters have oral cancer where the tongues can't stop growing. The tongue of the oldest daughter has now grown just above her breasts, she can't breathe without a tracheostomy, and can't eat except through a G-tube on her stomach.
Best of luck.
sad
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:03pm On Dec 16, 2022
baconline:

LOL thats not true, i farm three seperate farms even though rainfall destroy half of the first and the largest farm, but i have harvest 18bags of 100kg bag of maize, my profit was about 200% becavse the total amount i spent was #136k and a bag of maize sell at #19k... The second i got 11bags and the total cost was #113300 the farm was far from me so i spent more to tend the farm and the proft was about 70%. If not because my bean fail due to plaque like pest infestation, wallahi the profit will have ben what hausa called KAZAMIN RIBA... Farming especially maise is very lucrative, but only if you knw hw to do it. Peace!
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:20pm On Dec 16, 2022
manny88ng2000:
Bro happy for you. How did you get land. I'm interested.

Its family land but u can hire a sizeable land here at affordable amount 20k and above per yr

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:23pm On Dec 16, 2022
symbianDON:
Op please add cassava to your farm make equation balance grin

LoL i leave my cassava 4 arochukwu, e go stil fit balance like that nah!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

After 7 Months Of Cultivation, Nigerian Soldier Harvests Her Rice (photos) / Top 30 Practical Agro-allied Business Ideas And Opportunities / Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.