Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,760 members, 7,813,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) (13776 Views)

The Origin of Na.kedness / "What Is The Origin Of The Catholic Church?" / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 10:19pm On Aug 28, 2011
davidylan:

Our resident cheerleader. Should introduce him to thehomer.

Here is the problem dudes . . . serious christians know that religion and science are NOT inter-related. With me, religion/faith is a way of life while science is a career. Both are distinct. I can go work in the lab without that having a prejudicial influence on my faith and vice versa. Rather it is the atheist who has a problem with religion and tries too hard to use science as a stick with which to beat it

I have to point out one thing . . . the inconsistent use of the term "logic" as if this is strictly the domain of science. On this thread alone, we have been treated to several completely illogical science articles purporting to describe the origin of life . . .

Because most scientific facts are verifiable. different  religions also use scientific assertions to beat each other up. . .Back in the days either Mushin or Abuzola posted a video on you tube explaining creation from the Islamic point of view and the Christians here was using scientific explanations to discredit it and show that it was false. . .Every body runs to science when trying to disprove the religious assertions of another person especially when such assertion is supposed to have scientific backing. . .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 28, 2011
@ MAZAJE!
But You said SCIENCE & RELIGION is NOT the same! Why OH Why Should ATHEISTS BELIEVE ANYTHING? AND Why did you ONLY analyze that part of RELIGION as PROVEN to have FAILED by SCIENCE? HOW ABOUT CHRISTIANITY, ISLAM ETC? NO?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

Because most scientific facts are verifiable.

Very true. UNTIL you stray into the realm of evolution (which you falsely call mainstream science) where conjectures and speculation remain the order of the day.

mazaje:

different  religions also use scientific assertions to beat each other up. . .Back in the days either Mushin or Abuzola posted a video on you tube explaining creation from the Islamic point of view and the Christians here was using scientific explanations to discredit it and show that it was false. . .Every body runs to science when trying to disprove the religious assertions of another person especially when such assertion is supposed to have scientific backing. . .

Very simple. Islam makes the claim that the quran is scientifically innovative. That is the only reason science does come to play. the bible has made no such claims neither are christians interested in pushing it.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 28, 2011
sexkillz:

@ MAZAJE!
But You said SCIENCE & RELIGION is NOT the same! Why OH Why Should ATHEISTS BELIEVE ANYTHING? AND Why did you ONLY analyze that part of RELIGION as PROVEN to have FAILED by SCIENCE? HOW ABOUT CHRISTIANITY, ISLAM ETC? NO?

allow mazaje, he is an expert at moving his lips while saying nothing.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 10:27pm On Aug 28, 2011
sexkillz:

@ MAZAJE!

Why should atheist believe anything?. . . .What's that supposed to mean?. . . . .As I said before. . .Both Muslims and Christians use science to discredit each others assertions. . .Check out the you tube videos that were posted with regards to creation and how human's were formed according to the Islamic point of view. . .Science was what the Christians in here used to demolish the Islamic assertion. . .So what exactly are you talking about. .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

Why should atheist believe anything?. . . .What's that supposed to mean?. . . . .As I said before. . .Both Muslims and Christians use science to discredit each others assertions. . .Check out the you tube videos that were posted with regards to creation and how human's were formed according to the Islamic point of view. . .Science was what the Christians in here used to demolish the Islamic assertion. . .So what exactly are you talking about. .

1. If the atheist believes nothing, then on what basis is he disagreeing with the beliefs of others?

2. I already answered the science against islam story. It comes largely from islam's own claim to a scientifically true quran.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 10:32pm On Aug 28, 2011
davidylan:

Very true. UNTIL you stray into the realm of evolution (which you falsely call mainstream science) where conjectures and speculation remain the order of the day.

True, evolution to me is nothing but conjecture and mere speculation. . .I said main stream science not because its true, but because it is the acceptable scientific explanation. . .

Very simple. Islam makes the claim that the quran is scientifically innovative. That is the only reason science does come to play. the bible has made no such claims[b] neither are christians interested in pushing it[/b].

You might not be pushing it but many Christians do. . .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

True, evolution to me is nothing but conjecture and mere speculation. . .I said main stream science not because its true, but because it is the acceptable scientific explanation. . .

that doesnt make it mainstream. It is "acceptable" because it is the only "rational" explanation for those desperate to explain God away.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 11:39pm On Aug 28, 2011
sexkillz:

So why tha HELL do ATHEISTS INSIST on Bringing in POINTS from SCIENCE whenever they are trying, to REFUTE RELIGION? Cant you guys use your own ARGUMENTS for ONCE? NO?

Have you considered that it is because science is the best way that we currently have of obtaining accurate information on our universe.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
thehomer:

Have you considered that it is because science is the best way that we currently have of obtaining accurate information on our universe.

it is also the best way we currently have of obtaining so much deliberate misinformation on the origin of the universe
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:22am On Aug 29, 2011
mazaje:

Look who is talking. . .pseudo-scientists, eh. . . Imagine some one that goes about posting BASELESS "scientific"  evidence to show that the earth and the universe were created 6000 years ago, or that the entire earth was covered in a flood calling others  pseudo-scientists. . .  grin grin cheesy

It's all about how you interprete the "scientific" evidence, I use the Truth Book while you use Darwins book of myths. Creation or evolution are presuppositions which "scientists" use in interpreting evidence.

Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Enigma(m): 7:11am On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

Our resident cheerleader. Should introduce him to thehomer.

Here is the problem dudes . . . serious christians know that religion and science are NOT inter-related. With me, religion/faith is a way of life while science is a career. Both are distinct. I can go work in the lab without that having a prejudicial influence on my faith and vice versa. Rather it is the atheist who has a problem with religion and tries too hard to use science as a stick with which to beat it.

Even the truly serious scientists, who are not evangelical atheists obsessed about religion, respect the differences in spheres of religion and science. One of Britain's very top scientists and former President of the Royal Society once said:

"I would support peaceful co-existence between religion and science because they concern different domains," Lord Rees said. "Anyone who takes theology seriously knows that it's not a matter of using it to explain things that scientists are mystified by."

From http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/martin-rees-we-shouldnt-attach-any-weight-to-what-hawking-says-about-god-2090421.html  and previously quoted here  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-523483.0.html#msg6870776

davidylan:
I have to point out one thing . . . the inconsistent use of the term "logic" as if this is strictly the domain of science. On this thread alone, we have been treated to several completely illogical science articles purporting to describe the origin of life . . .

Obviously because they do not have the wherewithal to discuss let alone challenge or disprove Christian philosophy and logic, they pretend these do not exist (Edit: oh, or maybe they are too ignorant to know of these); instead they nit-pick the same Bible passages (that they do not even understand) to make some rather spurious arguments.

Here is what Lord Rees said about even a scientist that obviously none of our evangelical atheists (even the ones that are truly scientists) comes anywhere near. I reckon he is probably even better read on theology/philosophy than any of our resident evangelical atheists, yet hear/read Lord Rees about him:

On the need to confront the big environmental problems facing us in the 21st century, he parts company with his friend and colleague Stephen Hawking, who famously once said that humans will have to colonise distant planets if they are to survive. "I think that's an an ill-thought through statement and we have to bear in mind that there is nowhere we know about in our own Solar System that is even as hospitable as the top of Everest or the South Pole. The problems of the Earth must be solved here on the Earth and we must not divert attention from that necessity," Lord Rees said. He is equally scathing about Hawking's more recent comments about there being no need for God in order to explain creation. "Stephen Hawking is a remarkable person whom I've know for 40 years and for that reason any oracular statement he makes gets exaggerated publicity. I know Stephen Hawking well enough to know that he has read very little philosophy and even less theology, so I don't think we should attach any weight to his views on this topic," he said.

Again from  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/martin-rees-we-shouldnt-attach-any-weight-to-what-hawking-says-about-god-2090421.html  and previously mentioned here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-507888.64.html#msg6828285

cool
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 29, 2011
mazaje:

True, evolution to me is nothing but conjecture and mere speculation

Interesting. I have learnt something from ur view on this subject.

Of course many of ur fellow atheists here on Nairaland might choose to disagree with u, cos some feel so strongly about this Evolution that they can defend it as if they were present or any of the world scientists were present when the world/universe actually evolved lipsrsealed undecided embarassed

Same way Christians defend the biblical creation account. I can say non of us were present when the whole thing took place.

Job 38
The LORD Speaks
1 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:

4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

Its obvious none of us were present during this time. We can only use logical reasoning to deduce what could have possibly happened
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 9:36am On Aug 29, 2011
toba:

Interesting. I have learnt something from your view on this subject.

Of course many of your fellow atheists here on Nairaland might choose to disagree with u, cos some feel so strongly about this Evolution that they can defend it as if they were present or any of the world scientists were present when the world/universe actually evolved lipsrsealed undecided :-

Here is the problem. . .Atheist are not the only ones that defend evolution. . .One of the staunchest advocates of evolution theory is Ken Miller and he is a christian. . . . .Many christians the world over also believe in it. . .

Same way Christians defend the biblical creation account. I can say non of us were present when the whole thing took place.

Job 38
The LORD Speaks
1 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:

4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

Its obvious none of us were present during this time. We can only use logical reasoning to deduce what could have possibly happened

But any body that makes any assumptions to things that are supposed to be verifiable should be able to back it up with evidence. . .if the bible is true then we should be able to see some evidence that supports its version or accounts of creation no?. . .The bible has a detailed account of creation that does NOT agree with observable reality and as such christians have relegated it to mere allegory. . .Evolution is no better because it relies heavily on speculations and conjectures. . .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 29, 2011
1)From your response are u saying neither can the bible or evolution be agree with 100% right?

2)
so how did this universe came into being? U must realize that things didnt just happened out of no where or out of nothing. For mazaje's handle on Nairaland to reply my post means that action was caused by an individual that can think and respond to me which includes typing with the hands. So what is the origin of life?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:54am On Aug 29, 2011
mazaje:

The bible has a detailed account of creation that does NOT agree with observable reality and as such christians have relegated it to mere allegory. . .Evolution is no better because it relies heavily on speculations and conjectures. . .
Mazaje! You are getting the gist now! ALL you have to do is ASK QUESTIONS without BIAS! Mind you, EARTH was not CREATED in 6000 years! Creation on EARTH was done in 6000 years! They are not the SAME thing! smiley
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:10am On Aug 29, 2011
I would be very happy when we start debating with ourselves like civilized folks. I like the approach mazaje(shows hes honest) have adopted and this discussion can go along way
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 29, 2011
We should learn to differentiate some terms from each other; a christian theist believes that the universe has a creator and that creator is God as described in the bible; a christian atheist believes that the universe might have a creator but it is definitely not the God of the bible or the Islamic Allah or any religious deity. To such a person, the idea of God is an assumption - a hypothesis that haven't been proven. In a previous post, I stated that we don't have any idea how the universe origanated; it might have been created by a God or by a committee of Gods, or by a group of super intelligent aliens. All are assumptions. Till then it's best we reserve judgement instead of acting with 100% certainty.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 4:45pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

it is also the best way we currently have of obtaining so much deliberate misinformation on the origin of the universe

Can you point out the deliberate scientific misinformation about the origin of the universe and what you think it should be? i.e can you point out the scientific answer that is misinformation then let us know the correct information?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 4:51pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

You really think evolution isn't mainstream science? I wonder how you determine what actually is mainstream science. Sorry you must be getting the theory of evolution confused with something else.

davidylan:

Very simple. Islam makes the claim that the quran is scientifically innovative. That is the only reason science does come to play. the bible has made no such claims neither are christians interested in pushing it.

The Bible claims that it is the word of God. This implies that God himself doesn't even understand his own "creation".
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 4:52pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

1. If the atheist believes nothing, then on what basis is he disagreeing with the beliefs of others?

2. I already answered the science against islam story. It comes largely from islam's own claim to a scientifically true quran.

Actually, the thing is that the atheist doesn't believe your God claims.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:20pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Can you point out the deliberate scientific misinformation about the origin of the universe and what you think it should be? i.e can you point out the scientific answer that is misinformation then let us know the correct information?

you must not have been reading this thread. next.

thehomer:

You really think evolution isn't mainstream science? I wonder how you determine what actually is mainstream science. Sorry you must be getting the theory of evolution confused with something else.

If by "mainstream" you mean being forced down the throats of everyone by virtue of the courts then be my guest.

thehomer:

The Bible claims that it is the word of God. This implies that God himself doesn't even understand his own "creation".

What exactly where you responding to here? Incoherent.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Actually, the thing is that the atheist doesn't believe your God claims.

That would have been ok if the atheist merely stopped here. to go ahead and insult science and logic with a warped defense of the evolutionary origins of life with poorly understood research is the problem.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 5:25pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

That would have been ok if the atheist merely stopped here. to go ahead and insult science and logic with a warped defense of the evolutionary origins of life with poorly understood research is the problem.

How does not believing your God claims imply insults to science and logic?
The theory of evolution is not on the origin of life but on its observed diversity on earth. I really don't expect you to still be making such basic errors.
I wonder if the biologists too poorly understand their research.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 5:28pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

you must not have been reading this thread. next.

Of course evade and tremble. Simply show the misinformation and the correct information. It shouldn't be too hard.

davidylan:

If by "mainstream" you mean being forced down the throats of everyone by virtue of the courts then be my guest.

No, mainstream as in a scientific theory widely accepted by the vast majority of qualified scientists in the appropriate field and in other fields.

davidylan:

What exactly where you responding to here? Incoherent.

Take the time to read what it was in response to. It was above that quote of mine in the original post.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Konjour(m): 5:48pm On Aug 29, 2011
mazaje:

Because science has disproved many Gods and religious assertions and it will continue to do so. . .Humans have always invented Gods or other invisible entities and supernatural explanations to explain that which they don't understand.  But then science comes along and tells them to stop sacrificing virgins to please some imaginary fertility Gods, science has shown people that there are no weather Gods that need pleasing, and we can do better by using irrigation and planting weather resistant crops instead of wasting time sacrificing animals to please the weather Gods. . .When sick science has provided us with drugs to cure and help us out instead of praying to some Gods for healing or sprinkling the bloods of some animals on sick people to heal them. . . Science has provided the best explanations for most things. . .The rainbow use to be explained as a necklace of some Goddess or a covenant between some Jewish tribal God and  his chosen people, but science came along and showed that its simply a refraction of light waves in the earth's atmosphere. . .Where are the Gods of thunder and lighting? Once the scientific explanation was provided for these two phenomenon the Gods of thunder and lighting all died natural deaths , no?. . . .Our ignorance is God, what we know is science. . . .

[b]The bolded part sounds like a classic case of "pot calling kettle black" to me cuz Science,Atheism and Atheists and their proponents

wherewithal do use figurative guesswork and outrightly and "logically stupid" theories as well.

Guess if the Pyramid of Khufu(or Cheops) had been washed away by time,it'd have been "illogical" to Scientists to suggest that Egyptians

who lived as far as the Old Kingdom or perhaps 10,000 years ago would have been smart enough to build a Pyramid bigger than any

one-piece building modern technology can muster out of straw,papyrus and limestone and achieve a square base so perfect the cumulative

errors between the longest and the shortest sides 'd be 4 Zap.in' inches.

Conversely,if Science can locate and prove beyond reasonable doubt the Lost Ark of Noah,the Pyramids' age,the hieroglyphics' tales,the

Temple of solomon,the wailing wall of Jerusalem,the existence of Nebuchadnezzar and Belteshazzar,the existence of Joseph as the governor

of goshen,parchments of inspired poetry about the "round" and spherical shape of the earth when the Scientists of the time "logically"believed

the earth was flat.etc etc, these are stories that are perfectly relayed out in the Bible some of whose books had been written thousands of

years ago. How logical does the Bible or the Quran or religion has to be to convince human minds that there is never smoke without fire.

Like i opined earlier,Atheists or wannabes should stick to their beliefs(if they have one) and they should let religious sleeping dogs lie. Nuff said. cool[/b]
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Of course evade and tremble. Simply show the misinformation and the correct information. It shouldn't be too hard.

dont be so obtuse. Mantraa, idehn and myself have just been thrashing 3 scientific articles for the last 5 or so pages. Surely it wont take you 30 yrs to go through them.

thehomer:

No, mainstream as in a scientific theory[b] widely accepted[/b] by the vast majority of qualified scientists in the appropriate field and in other fields.

Depends on what you mean by "widely accepted". It still remains a huge controversy that is being pushed primarily by the growing secularity of most western states.

thehomer:

Take the time to read what it was in response to. It was above that quote of mine in the original post.

After you have taken the time to read the misinformation inherent in many of the origin of life theories.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

because many of you that push the alternative "science" claims have just proven to us that you are largely unintelligent and merely copy-paste the arguments of fellow god-deniers.

thehomer:

The theory of evolution is not on the origin of life but on its observed diversity on earth. I really don't expect you to still be making such basic errors.

Stup[i]i[/i]d. Forgive the language . . . but for something to evolve it must exist right? Where did the first organism that "evolved" come from? to argue about evolution while ignoring the more important origins of the evolving life is to put the cart before the horse. But of course i understand why you would do such a thing, you have zero clues on the origins of life.

thehomer:

I wonder if the biologists too poorly understand their research.

I'm not bothered so much about the biologists, but about the empty-headed folks here who parrot research they cant explain.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

dont be so obtuse. Mantraa, idehn and myself have just been thrashing 3 scientific articles for the last 5 or so pages. Surely it wont take you 30 yrs to go through them.

Why don't you just place a link to the relevant post(s) of yours that you think address the request?

davidylan:

Depends on what you mean by "widely accepted". It still remains a huge controversy that is being pushed primarily by the growing secularity of most western states.

By widely accepted, I mean accepted by more than 90% of biologists and more than 90% of the expert scientists in other fields.

davidylan:

After you have taken the time to read the misinformation inherent in many of the origin of life theories.

Keep ducking and dodging.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by thehomer: 6:40pm On Aug 29, 2011
How on earth does one follow from the other? Please look at it again.

thehomer:

davidylan:

because many of you that push the alternative "science" claims have just proven to us that you are largely unintelligent and merely copy-paste the arguments of fellow god-deniers.

davidylan:

Stup[i]i[/i]d. Forgive the language . . . but for something to evolve it must exist right? Where did the first organism that "evolved" come from? to argue about evolution while ignoring the more important origins of the evolving life is to put the cart before the horse. But of course i understand why you would do such a thing, you have zero clues on the origins of life.

I don't understand this. You took the time to type out your response, you felt that it was insulting, yet you went ahead and did it anyway while asking for forgiveness? I know this is a reason why some choose to believe in some God but you really don't need to sink this low.
Do I need to shout? The theory of evolution is supposed to explain the diversity of life. Simply think about it. For comparison, does the theory of continental drift explain the origin of land?

davidylan:

I'm not bothered so much about the biologists, but about the empty-headed folks here who parrot research they cant explain.

So the biologists are right just that non-biologists cannot explain it? In that case, why don't you simply read what the biologists themselves have written? Or are there some empty heads that are unable to read the writings of biologists too?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Why don't you just place a link to the relevant post(s) of yours that you think address the request?

Should i also get you your glasses and read it to you? Want me to show you where you can get air to breathe too?
If you cant find them then you really have no interest, its simply part of the cynical brainless games you folks play around here thinking no one else would be bothered to cross-check your "facts".

thehomer:

By widely accepted, I mean accepted by more than 90% of biologists and more than 90% of the expert scientists in other fields.

Because 90% of "expert scientists" are mostly godless themselves. What a surprise.

thehomer:

Keep ducking and dodging.

dodging what?  undecided Dumb.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Do I need to shout? The theory of evolution is supposed to explain the diversity of life. Simply think about it. For comparison, does the theory of continental drift explain the origin of land?

I already know that. I'm just wondering why you prefer to take such a giant leap. Deliberate obfuscation and dishonesty seems to be the staple of the "scientific" atheist. Why is he so obsessed about "evolution" while pretending the very origin of that evolving life is less important?

thehomer:

So the biologists are right just that non-biologists cannot explain it? In that case, why don't you simply read what the biologists themselves have written? Or are there some empty heads that are unable to read the writings of biologists too?

Idehn, mantraa and myself have been doing that over the last few pages. Take a read.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

The Haunted House / Christian Struggling With Marijuana Addiction / Do Christians Need To Confess Adultery To Their Partners?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.