Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) (13777 Views)

The Origin of Na.kedness / "What Is The Origin Of The Catholic Church?" / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 26, 2011
^^^@Ogaga YOU still haven't answered WHERE THE WHOLE PROCESS STARTED FROM! grin
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 26, 2011
Evil Brain:

I'll give you $1billion if you can find a post in this thread in which I name dropped. You're the one who's using your unproven status as a big man immunobiologist to try and disparage decades worth of biological research.

And I'm surprised you know about VDJ recombination. You've been reading your 2 Janeways abi? Very impressive for someone of your reasoning ability. But no, that's not what I meant. Nice try though, kudos.

And keep reading, with just a little more humility you could go far in this science business. I won't write you off yet. Being religious doesn't mean you have to be a mörön, you know.

Dude, you threw down the challenge. Please i am waiting for your treatise on how T-cell maturation is evidence for evolution. I'm very positive V(D)J recombination is what you are driving at, either you dont know or you didnt expect me to know hence your backing out of explaining urself all of a sudden. The extreme somatic hypermutation and natural selection process that is involved in generating a T or B-cell receptors and the soluble B-cell receptors (antibodies) is the only process in T cell maturation that is regularly brought up as proof of evolution. We've seen these games before dude.

thank you

Your lab technician-in-training
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Ogaga4Luv(m): 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2011
[size=13pt]What process do u want me to answer now? common man , u better be straight i don't get your pint anyway i have always explain what u asked me grin grin
[/size]
sexkillz:

^^^@Ogaga YOU still haven't answered WHERE THE WHOLE PROCESS STARTED FROM! grin
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by deluckiest(m): 8:56pm On Aug 26, 2011
Greetings to all.
The Christians believe there is a supreme being that they exercise faith. It amazes me how some people reason, in the name of intelligence. For instance, I know the air exists not because I can see or touch it but because I can feel its presence, so also is for those who feel God's presence in their life.  when you go to sleep you dream and you see yourself as a different personality or as same but in another realm, this all about spirituality, but the fact that you don't believe in the things of the spirits doesn't mean they don't exist. The Bible is Divine(HOLY). It is only a book for the carnally minded as they read it  like normal text book and brag  about being versed in the  scriptures. The Bible touches all aspect of life.

"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned" 1 Corinthians 2:14.

If you have the active force of God, which is the Holy Spirit you would understand and find the answers you seek, for it takes the Holy Spirit to provide the interpretation. You can continue to carry on with your vague argument and you will never find the answers you seek if you continue with this mr-know-all attitude. Don't say what you don't know and cannot defend. search deeper cos the answers are staring right in your face but  like I said, even then, you wouldn't understand because it takes the the Holy Spirit to understand the word of God.

For those of you who think that the Bible contradicts for instance about the age of the world, remember that a thousand years to man is a day to God. And when you observe Jesus sermons, he mostly use parables. I have more to say here but I don't have the time. Again, without the Holy spirit you can never understand the misery how God operates. I may not be able to reply to any post now until this time again tomorrow. SHALOM!
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 26, 2011
Evil Brain:

@davidylan

Name Dropping (The Urban Dictionary)
I'm just sayin'.

Actually you are wrong. Indicating i do have 2 Janeway immunobio textbooks was NOt to gain rapport but to counter your argument that immunology was in a way intertwined with evolution. I made the point that considering no such claim is expressed in Janeway which is considered the holy grail for immunology students, your claim might be flat out wrong.

Now THIS on the other hand is name-dropping . . . You previously made the unbelievably stüpid claim that "immunology has nothing to do with evolution". I have only one response: T-Cell maturation

You drop a phrase that makes you sound like you really know what you are talking about. You've had 2 posts to expantiate on this claim but all you've done is hem and haw. Any ignorant person would long have clammed up assuming you had any idea what you point you were going to make.

Evil Brain:

I'll give you $1billion if you can find a post in this thread in which I name dropped.

Can i have my $1bn now? Name-dropping does not solely mean you say something about who you are . . . making claims to be aware of topics you cant defend is equally as reprehensible.

Evil Brain:

You're the one who's using your unproven status as a big man immunobiologist to try and disparage decades worth of biological research.

proven already to those who matter. next.

Evil Brain:

And I'm surprised you know about VDJ recombination. You've been reading your 2 Janeways abi? Very impressive for someone of your reasoning ability. But no, that's not what I meant. Nice try though, kudos.

That's quite daft. I guess you were taken aback that i had any knowledge whatsoever about core immunology. Might explain why you havent responded to your T-cell maturation claims ever since. I think many of you just assume you are arguing with folks with a rudimentary knowledge.

Secondly i am even more interested in finding out what you mean by tcell maturation being linked to evolution OUTSIDE V(D)J recombination - this is the core of antigen recognition for Tcells!

Evil Brain:

And keep reading, with just a little more humility you could go far in this science business. I won't write you off yet. Being religious doesn't mean you have to be a mörön, you know.

My friend go and sit down. You preaching humility? lol next the pot would be accusing the kettle of being too black.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 1:19am On Aug 27, 2011
where is evil brain? Has he grabbed a copy of Janeway and found evolution there? Silly fellow.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Enigma(m): 9:21am On Aug 27, 2011
Ah, mention of "The Urban Dictionary" reminds me of a definition I once saw there.

From here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=evangelical%20atheist

Evangelical Atheist*

An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one.

Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just dont talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their perogative. Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the Internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the Internet to hate 'the system'. Mostly teen angst if you ask me,

* I have tried to be kind by not including the first two words you see in the link immediately after "evangelical atheist"

cool
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Purist(m): 10:05am On Aug 27, 2011
Evangelical Atheist (sense 3):

A term often used by frustrated theists as a slur against atheists. The term is a contradiction since atheism is not a belief system or a cause, nor does it have any dogmas or requirements. An atheist doesn't convert people.

"That guy thinks I'm an evangelical atheist because he can't defeat my arguments rationally"

Same link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=evangelical%20atheist
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Enigma(m): 10:49am On Aug 27, 2011
OK for completeness, below is Sense 2 of the total of three senses so now we will have all three set out.

An Evangelical Atheist is a person that is an atheist and tries to spread atheism amongst theists. It is derived from Evangelism, meaning "Spreading Good News" as practised by Christianity. Due to the rise of the Conservative Christain movement in the United States of America and the increase of humanistic thought, along with the increased blending other many different religions, Atheism has become more and more popular. Evangelical atheist usually seeks to "convert" borderline theists, often by engagaing in debate with fundamentalists.

Therefore two definitions (senses) out of three agree, or acknowledge, or at least suggest that evangelical atheism is an evangelising religionsmiley

PS Same link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=evangelical%20atheist

cool
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:23am On Aug 28, 2011
I finally got some time off but seems the thread has moved a lot. I will address the comments directed towards myself. Hopefully davidlyan is still around to respond.
davidylan:

Lets not go too far dude, i know you copied this off some other website. First of all the corresponding author on this paper is none other than - Ernesto Di Mauro, Ph.D who publishes in the journal of cosmology!     A online-only journal with a well-known negative reputation that exists solely to push a pro-evolution agenda. yeah right.    We certainly should take that charlatan seriously.

I would hope you realize the Journal of Biological Chemistry is not the Journal of Cosmology. JBC has a good reputation in the field of biochemistry and they saw fit to publish his work.  You will forgive me if I take their word over yours on the quality of the submission.

davidylan:

For a paper that propounds a theory that should have revolutionized medicine as we know it (the ability to generate RNA spontaneously), that JBC paper happens to have been cited THREE (3) times in the 2 yrs its been published! Even i have garnered 12 citations in that time frame and i havent propounded any earth shaking theory just yet.
If you judge the validity/merit of scientific literature purely on the number of citations and not the content then so be it. LOL the second half. I guess I will just have to take your word for it.

davidylan:

Abeg be serious!    First it was the "long peptide chains in water" theory until the Miller-Urey experiment collapsed and the fact that protein by itself cannot self-replicate . . . now we have backtracked to pre-RNA?   

That is science for you. If you run into a dead end you go back to the beginning. Furthermore, the problem with the Miller-Urey experiment was his underlying assumptions about the primordial Earths environment. If you were actually doing research yourself you would have easily seen this new development.
http://astrobiology.gsfc.nasa.gov/analytical/PDF/Johnsonetal2008.pdf
Brada(Millers student) achieved even better results when he incorporated primordial earth conditions. Moreover, I believe I read somewhere that scientist have discovered a type of RNA that can create peptide bonds between amino acids so that obstacle to protein synthesis may not be such a big deal.

davidylan:

you could have easily downloaded a pdf copy and posted it here. Its clear you have not read this paper yourself. Juyst copy-pasting from other websites. Such a shame.

Whatever you say chief. But all YOU had to do was do a google search and you would obtained the paper yourself. http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/szostakweb/publications/Szostak_pdfs/Szostak_2009_Nature.pdf
But of coarse you cannot be bothered to do actual research on your own can you. You just sit around being an internet contrarian. It is clear you have never made any attempt to look at current research or speak with the actual experts/researchers on the subjects you are criticizing.
Regardless, the article is more or less primer on the state/direction of research(at the time) and an interesting read.

davidylan:

The RNA theory is itself invalid . . . cytosine has never and cannot be synthesized.
That sounds more like your opinion couched in ignorance. The RNA World Hypothesis would not be invalidated simply because no one had successfully synthesized cytosine. Especially when people have already started producing ribonucleotides as the nature article pointed out.
But, no do not worry yourself actually looking at the research that is going on. Just sit back and relax on nairaland content being just another internet contrarian.

davidylan:

The ribose sugar backbone for RNA is very unstable and has a short half life (about 70 minutes), how then did it exist in a stable form in water? How did the early life forms enrich one particular isomer of ribose considering both ribose isomers interfere with self-replication?
Since ribose is a reducing sugar, it cannot co-exist with amino acids in primordial soup (amino acids react very quickly with sugars) . . . for ribose to exist long enough to self replicate as part of RNA, it must mean amino acids NEVER existed in primordial soup at any time. Which is it dudes? I blame right whingers.   

You would be better off looking into the research than asking me. However, based upon this article http://www.pnas.org/content/92/18/8158.full.pdf, it seems that the use of ribose(or any sugar for that matter) came about much later. It is worth mentioning that the process put forward by Powner(cited in the nature article) bypasses the need for ribose.

davidylan:
first of all read up on "investigator interference" . . . it is a valid tool employed by desperate pro-evolutionists like those in your videos ostensibly to hoodwink the gullible like you who think because they reference papers they have never read . . . they are thus smart and "unignorant" (pun intended).

Whatever you say chief.
davidylan:

Your "explanation" fails to explain the cambrian explosion dude. Evolution indeed takes place over successive generations but there are fossil records in cambrian rocks that are billions of years old. For example, it doesnt look like trilobites changed much since the cambrian fossils? why?

Sorry for the "ignorant"questions oh though fountain of knowledge.

I fail to see how your objection is even relevant; as the fossil record shows clearly that speciation did take place amongst trilobites. However for what it is worth the lack of change from the basic template is probably why they all went extinct in the first place. They may have been so well suited to their niche until it changed. Afterwards they just failed to adapt.
This is particularly true with specialized plant species. The have unique pollinators, but when either one dies out both die out. Corn is another example. It is almost entirely dependent on humans for its propagation. For a more rigorous explanation go look at the research.

davidylan:
odd. The human fossil record is miraculously"full" and yet that for organisms more populous than ours is not? In geological time, man's period on earth is far more inconsequential than other organisms. How come we have no complete fossil records for much more established organisms?

Now you are just being intentionally obtuse. It is not just about population. If an organism does not live in an environment conducive to fossilization then they will not be fossilized. For example, if in a given area animal remains are quickly/efficiently dismantled (lots of scavenger) the likelihood of fossilization is decreased. Another example is if the remains are in areas with low amounts of sediment/water. That is why we generally find large caches of fossils at certain locations(like the rift valley).  Heck a glance at Wikipedia could have told you all this.

davidylan:
That's quite daft. First of all ask yourself why the "rate" suddenly accelerated in one period then completely slows down after. It doesnt seem you have an analytical mind at all, you seem to have your mind made up for you by dunces on youtube.

ROFLMAO.  That is rich coming from you. Especially, when I had to explain something as ridiculously simple as the basics fossilization to you. undecided

davidylan:
For billions of years pre-cambrian period, evolution occured at an extremely slow rate . . . all of a sudden it revs up just long enough to fossilize complex multi-cellular organisms then slows down almost to a halt after? What happened?

You honestly need to start looking into the research and hypotheses. I also fail to see a problem with the rate of speciation changing being problematic for evolution. Environmental conditions for example may limit the presence of organism that stray to far from the basic template(for example grow larger). In that context speciation can be suppressed. Again for a more complete explanation, go look at the research.

I can see why people got tired of spoon feeding you answers.

davidylan:
Do you understand at all the difference between unicellular organisms like bacteria and a simple multicellular organism like a trilobite or dinosaurs? So it took billions of years for unicellular organisms to "evolve" from a primordial soup but just 80 m years to jump from amoeba to a cow?   

Man mi pls use your brain.

I do not know what you mean with the amoeba to cow thing. I am talking about the development of vertebrates(fishlike organism), organism with nervous systems(jellyfish/vertibrates etc. . .), and the development of the eyes(invertibrates/vertibrates). If you were not so busy stroking your ego, you would have realized this.

davidylan:
please dont confuse micro evolution with macro evolution. There is no debate about mutation. We are not completely nuts. the main source of opposition to evolution doesnt come primarily from "religionists . . . it
actually spans a large number of non-religious scientists.
There are even atheists here who dont believe evolution and some have posted on this thread. Please spare us the daft conjectures.

I really hope you are not trying to abuse the terms macro-evolution and micro-evolution. I will give you the benefit of a doubt.

Again, did I ever say it was only the religious that deny evolution? No, but please do not try to pass the asinine proposition that the vast majority of opposition to evolution is not coming from religious individuals. If you honestly think that is the case then you need to get a clue and fast.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 28, 2011
Idehn:

I finally got some time off but seems the thread has moved a lot. I will address the comments directed towards myself. Hopefully davidlyan is still around to respond.
I would hope you realize the Journal of Biological Chemistry is not the Journal of Cosmology. JBC has a good reputation in the field of biochemistry and they saw fit to publish his work.  You will forgive me if I take their word over yours on the quality of the submission.

My former school lab published in JBC so i know its reputation far better than you can ever know. So spare me the condescending "explanation".
Have you or anyone you know published any work?

Idehn:

If you judge the validity/merit of scientific literature purely on the number of citations and not the content then so be it. LOL the second half. I guess I will just have to take your word for it.

I'm sorry dude, but number of citations is a very key indication of the reach and importance of your work. I was invited to write a review for AJRCMB (American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology - impact factor 10.191) solely on the basis of the number of citations and reach of my first paper.

The paper you posted is a paper that purports to describe a NOVEL approach (i.e. generation of long chain RNA). It has been cited only 3 times and in obscure reviews (i.e. no one else has replicated or observed the same phenomenon). By contrast, the paper that merely describes a method to extract RNA has been cited over 100 times!

If you've ever had the chance to read resume's of researchers, number of citations is ALWAYS prominently included!

As regards the second half of that quote - its fact. I do not have to show proof to you.

Lastly, mantraa posted a very similar paper published by an English researcher and we went through a step-by-step analysis on why RNA synthesis as described CANNOT occur spontaneously. You might be interested in reading it first before continuing to hang your hat on discredited papers.

Idehn:

That is science for you. If you run into a dead end you go back to the beginning. Furthermore, the problem with the Miller-Urey experiment was his underlying assumptions about the primordial Earths environment. If you were actually doing research yourself you would have easily seen this new development.
http://astrobiology.gsfc.nasa.gov/analytical/PDF/Johnsonetal2008.pdf
Brada(Millers student) achieved even better results when he incorporated primordial earth conditions. Moreover, I believe I read somewhere that scientist have discovered a type of RNA that can create peptide bonds between amino acids so that obstacle to protein synthesis may not be such a big deal.

1. No i would not, my research is not in the area of astrobiology. . . i only respond to this only and have precious little time left from my own personal research.

2.  With regard to the highlights in blue . . . its clear you did not read the Brada paper AT ALL and this was enough to completely turn me off responding to your claim at this point. I intensely dislike having to respond to ignorant, condescending fools who have no clue what exactly it is they are posting.
Now you said that "Brada achieved even better results when he incorporated primordial earth conditions" . . . well Brada did no such thing, what he did was re-analyze the dried and stored contents of Miller's original experiment . . . please see paragraphs 2 - 4 . . .

After Miller’s death on 20 May 2007, we found
several boxes containing vials of dried residues.

Notebooks (2) indicated that the vials came from his
1953–54 University of Chicago experiments that used
three different configurations (3, 4). One was the
original apparatus used in (1). Another incorporated
an aspirating nozzle attached to the water-containing
flask, injecting a jet of steam and gas into the spark.
The third incorporated the aspirator device but used a
silentdischarge instead of electrodes. [b]Although Miller
repeated his experiment in 1972 with use of the original architecture (5), the others were never tested again.
We were interested in the second apparatus [/b]because it possibly simulates the spark discharge synthesis by lightning in a steam-rich volcanic eruption
(6) (Fig. 1A). Miller identified five different amino
acids, plus several unknowns, in the extracts from
this apparatus (3). Product yields appeared somewhat higher than those in the classical configuration, although Miller never confirmed this. [size=14pt]We
reanalyzed 11 vials in order to characterize the
diversity of products synthesized in this apparatus.
The residues in the vials were resuspended in
1-ml aliquots of doubly distilled deionized water and
characterized by high-performance liquid chromatography and liquid chromatography–time of flight
mass spectrometry[/size] that allows for identification at
the sub-picomolar (<10
!12
M) level (2). We identified 22 amino acids and five amines in the volcanic
experiment (Fig. 1C), several of which had not been
previously identified in Miller’s experiments

To confirm this please read the "chemicals and reagents" section! There is no reagent there to suggest the Miller experiment was being repeated, what you have there are traditional reagents for the analysis of amino acids (including stock solutions of amino acid standards!) and HPLC.

Id[i]i[/i]ots just posting stuff they've never read . . . and the gullible read this and think they are smart.

Besides, note Brada and co do NOT tell you the stereo-isomers of the amino acids detected . . . perhaps its because they were majorly D forms and not the L forms that are biologically significant.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 28, 2011
Idehn:

Whatever you say chief. But all YOU had to do was do a google search and you would obtained the paper yourself. http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/szostakweb/publications/Szostak_pdfs/Szostak_2009_Nature.pdf
But of coarse you cannot be bothered to do actual research on your own can you. You just sit around being an internet contrarian. It is clear you have never made any attempt to look at current research or speak with the actual experts/researchers on the subjects you are criticizing.

The Brada error is clear you dont read the papers you post either. Next.

Too much irrelevant hot air.

Idehn:

Regardless, the article is more or less primer on the state/direction of research(at the time) and an interesting read.

not proof of evidence of the RNA theory of primordial earth . . . key difference. you cant just propound a theory and expect us to buy it hook line and sinker without empirical proof. Miller's experiments is proof positive . . . it completely destroyed the initial amino acid theory. Besides note Brada himself shoots Miller's experiment down by acknowledging geoscientists do not believe the primordial earth itself was as reducing as Miller earlier assumed.

But you would have seen this if you read the Brada paper you posted but of course you dont . . . its easier to sit back and respond to nairaland posts.

Idehn:

That sounds more like your opinion couched in ignorance. The RNA World Hypothesis would not be invalidated simply because no one had successfully synthesized cytosine. Especially when people have already started producing ribonucleotides as the nature article pointed out.
But, no do not worry yourself actually looking at the research that is going on. Just sit back and relax on nairaland content being just another internet contrarian.

The Powner (Sutherland was senior author) paper was posted here by Mantraa and its been taken apart already. You cant be using carefully controlled UV radiation to zap out your impurities, purifying every step of your reaction or using only one stereo-isomer of your starting molecules while controlling pH and temperature . . . THEN claiming that as a possible route for the creation of RNA in primordial soup.

Besides why does Powner add phosphate LAST? Does he suggest at some point phosphate didnt exist? Or is it because when he adds phosphate in the begining then his experiment totally collapses? What does Powner do about elemental oxygen (it would have oxidised his samples and destroyed any RNA intermediate formed)? But can he just discount elemental oxygen as not existing considering his own starting materials contained oxygen molecules?
Lastly what does Powner have to say about how primordial earth was able to actively isolate stereo-isomers of his compds like he did?

Why is Powner only able to synthesize pyrimidines and not purines? Is he going to publish another paper on that soon?

I already read both papers dear Idehn and it was discussed here on this thread with Mantraa and Mazaje . . . perhaps id[i]i[/i]ots like you who are too quick to shoot their mouths should pay attention. Did you even read your own paper? I guess not.

At this point, looking at the rest of your half-baked nonsense is an exercise in futility.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 28, 2011
davidylan:

I'm sorry dude, but number of citations is a very key indication of the reach and importance of your work. I was invited to write a review for AJRCMB (American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology - impact factor 10.191) solely on the basis of the number of citations and reach of my first paper.

The paper you posted is a paper that purports to describe a NOVEL approach (i.e. generation of long chain RNA). It has been cited only 3 times and in obscure reviews (i.e. no one else has replicated or observed the same phenomenon). By contrast, the paper that merely describes a method to extract RNA has been cited over 100 times!

If you've ever had the chance to read resume's of researchers, number of citations is ALWAYS prominently included!

Very well I concede your point. Until more work is done with response to the paper, I will not use it as evidence.

davidylan:

not proof of evidence of the RNA theory of primordial earth . . . key difference. you cant just propound a theory and expect us to buy it hook line and sinker without empirical proof. Miller's experiments is proof positive . . . it completely destroyed the initial amino acid theory. Besides note Brada himself shoots Miller's experiment down by acknowledging geoscientists do not believe the primordial earth itself was as reducing as Miller earlier assumed.

I do not expect you to accept it wholesale. However, your criticism so far are contrarian in nature. As in nature it will take a specific sequence of chemical reactions/energy inputs to produce self replicating RNA.  Yet your primary criticism are geared solely towards calling these steps "unrealistic" or bringing up a process that could potentially disrupts RNA formation(the ribose/amino acid issue). I do not consider most of these strong criticism at all.  Another example

Besides why does Powner add phosphate LAST? Does he suggest at some point phosphate didnt exist? Or is it because when he adds phosphate in the begining then his experiment totally collapses? What does Powner do about elemental oxygen (it would have oxidised his samples and destroyed any RNA intermediate formed)? But can he just discount elemental oxygen as not existing considering his own starting materials contained oxygen molecules?
Lastly what does Powner have to say about how primordial earth was able to actively isolate stereo-isomers of his compds like he did?

Powner would not be unreasonable in assuming the presence of phosphate changes from being initially low and then increasing. On a geologically active planet, it is not hard to imagine how phosphorus could have suddenly/periodically been injected into a system with lower concentrations.  Volcanic eruptions, geothermal/hydrothermal vents, geysers, earthquakes and even tides are all potential/reasonable mechanism. You are making it sound like magic pixie dust when it is just Earth science.

The presences of free oxygen in primordial earth was fairly low(primary force behind oxidation). Of those that existed, I assume he could if he wanted take a similar route that Brada did in his new experiment. Namely that the by increasing the presence of iron or similar reducing compounds the effects oxidation would be ameliorated. Again, on a geologically active planet it would be unreasonable to assume the content of iron was atleast comparable to oxygen. Also Brada suggest that the presence of iron together with nitrite could produce suitible amounts of ammonia, which Miller incorrectly assumed would be naturally present.

To your last point Powner has not addressed the issue of how to isolate the stereo-isomers specific to all organic life. That problem still needs to be solved.

Your criticism about the use of Ultraviolet light is not strong either. It does not seem from the paper that he just zapped it ultraviolet light. The sun produces plenty of UV radiation and the day cycle would are guaranteed periods of alternating UV intensity. Or it may be that volcanic eruptions temporarily reduced penetration of UV rays.

davidylan:

2.  With regard to the highlights in blue . . . its clear you did not read the Brada paper AT ALL and this was enough to completely turn me off responding to your claim at this point. I intensely dislike having to respond to ignorant, condescending fools who have no clue what exactly it is they are posting.
Now you said that "Brada achieved even better results when he incorporated primordial earth conditions" . . . well Brada did no such thing, what he did was re-analyze the dried and stored contents of Miller's original experiment . . . please see paragraphs 2 - 4 . . .

Hold on a moment. Unfortunately, in my haste I linked to the wrong article. The correct article "A reassessment of prebiotic organic synthesis in neutral planetary atmospheres". I decided not to post the article here, but if you want a copy I can upload it to some website and give you a link. But here is a cut from the document.

Although amino acids and a wide array of other biochemical monomers are readily produced from reduced
gas mixtures, the geochemical relevance of these model atmospheres has been questioned
(Holland 1962; Abelson 1966). As a result, some researchers now either consider the
atmospheric composition used in the Miller–Urey experiment implausible, or suggest that
reducing conditions only existed in localized regions such as volcanoes or hydrothermal
vents.

Previous reports on the yields of amino acids in electric discharge experiments with N2 +
CO2 were low but not zero (Schlesinger and Miller (1983). The small amount of amino
acids formed under neutral conditions prompted our reinvestigation of these results in order
to better constrain the amounts and types of amino acids that could be produced. The data
presented here suggest that the low yields of amino acids reported previously were the
outcome of both the experimental conditions and the analytical procedures used. The low
yields of amino acids previously reported were likely the result of oxidation of the
organic compounds produced during hydrolytic workup by nitrite and nitrate produced by
the electric discharge. We also found that the addition of oxidation inhibitors prior to
hydrolysis resulted in the recovery of several hundred times more amino acids than reported
previously, suggesting that primitive ocean chemistry may also have been an extremely
significant aspect of endogenous organic synthesis.

Brada did redo the Miller experiment under expected primordial conditions(neutral atmosphere) and he did get better results. I will just ignore the rest your "correction".

The Powner (Sutherland was senior author) paper was posted here by Mantraa and its been taken apart already. You cant be using carefully controlled UV radiation to zap out your impurities, purifying every step of your reaction or using only one stereo-isomer of your starting molecules while controlling pH and temperature . . . THEN claiming that as a possible route for the creation of RNA in primordial soup.

It is more important to first identify a process that can definitely produce self replicating RNA. It is unreasonable to expect scientist to try to produce such an effect under random conditions. It is a process that would have needed a multitude of attempts possibly a billion years to mature. You are being a contrarian about for its own sake. Yeah stereo-isomers are still an issue, but is still in the the air. Their is no physical law that says natural processes cannot select for certain molecular configurations. It may even be that certain configurations will work better. No one knows yet.

Why is Powner only able to synthesize pyrimidines and not purines? Is he going to publish another paper on that soon?
Again you should go ask Powner as he is the expert. He probably has some ideas/explanations rolling around in his head. He may have already even published more work already.

I already read both papers dear Idehn and it was discussed here on this thread with Mantraa and Mazaje . . . perhaps idiots like you who are too quick to shoot their mouths should pay attention. Did you even read your own paper? I guess not.

You really latched on to my mistake. Unfortunately, for you I am correct about Boda repeating the Miller experiment and I clearly read the Nature article so give this not reading things a rest already. You are just stroking your ego.

At this point, looking at the rest of your half-baked nonsense is an exercise in futility.
Your points beyond RNA synthesis are significantly more pathetic. Furthermore, I am getting sick of the trading insults business we have degenerated into. Let us just get it all out of the way and start having a civil conversation like two adults. Otherwise we should just agree to disagree. Now if you excuse me I am going to bed.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 28, 2011
Idehn:

I do not expect you to accept it wholesale. However, your criticism so far are contrarian in nature. As in nature it will take a specific sequence of chemical reactions/energy inputs to produce self replicating RNA.  Yet your primary criticism are geared solely towards calling these steps "unrealistic" or bringing up a process that could potentially disrupts RNA formation(the ribose/amino acid issue). I do not consider most of these strong criticism at all.  Another example

Because these are very critical steps that need to be considered when determining whether these reactions could have taken place in nature or not. The problem with re-creating these steps in the lab is the isolated system which is clearly not representative of the primordial atmosphere.

In reality, my criticism is geared solely towards calling these steps "unrealistic" BECAUSE every single one of those claims admit (subtly) that they DELIBERATELY circumvent uncomfortable facts that render their experiments untenable under RANDOM conditions.

For example you keep using the false term "RNA formation" . . . instead of the FACTUAL pyrimidine synthesis. Both are not the same.

Idehn:

Powner would not be unreasonable in assuming the presence of phosphate changes from being initially low and then increasing. On a geologically active planet, it is not hard to imagine how phosphorus could have suddenly/periodically been injected into a system with lower concentrations.  Volcanic eruptions, geothermal/hydrothermal vents, geysers, earthquakes and even tides are all potential/reasonable mechanism. You are making it sound like magic pixie dust when it is just Earth science.

The presences of free oxygen in primordial earth was fairly low(primary force behind oxidation). Of those that existed, I assume he could if he wanted take a similar route that Brada did in his new experiment. Namely that the by increasing the presence of iron or similar reducing compounds the effects oxidation would be ameliorated. Again, on a geologically active planet it would be unreasonable to assume the content of iron was atleast comparable to oxygen. Also Brada suggest that the presence of iron together with nitrite could produce suitible amounts of ammonia, which Miller incorrectly assumed would be naturally present.

Investigatory interference here. Its interesting that when it comes to the key elements that determine formation of the so-called amino acids or ribonucleic acids . . . we have a thousand and two "reasons" for why they must not have existed under primordial conditions.

Again i return to Brada's work (the second paper you highlight) - However, it is now generally held that the early Earth's atmosphere was likely not reducing, but was dominated by N(2) and CO(2).

Also - Instead, evidence strongly suggested that neutral gases such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and water vapor--not methane, ammonia, and hydrogen--predominated in the early atmosphere.

Why then does Brada create an aritificial reducing environment by adding ferrous iron?

Secondly, a more neutral atmosphere would present another spectacular problem with Brada/Miller's work - where would the hydrogen cyanide required for amino acid synthesis come from? Lets assume high temperatures from volcanic eruptions or lightening breaks down the triple bonds from N2 or CO2, an atmosphere that contains some levels of O2 would again severely limit  formation of HCN as most of the C and N molecules would be more likely to combine with O2.

thirdly, why does Brada pH buffer his solutions? Did such a buffering system exist in primordial earth? Why this deliberate manipulation of the results? Acid hydrolysis not only speeds up his reactions but it has the unintended (intended perhaps?) consequence of ensuring precursors that would normally be broken down quickly in a natural environment escape such a fate in the lab. Remember acid hydrolysis is itself dependent on the prevailing pH conditions of primordial earth as well.

You said and i quote - on a geologically active planet it would be unreasonable to assume the content of iron was atleast comparable to oxygen. If this is an excuse for why Brada used reducing ferous iron then i am very perplexed with regard to your reasoning. I assume you were talking about ferrous iron here but would you not expect most of that to be converted to the oxidized ferric form in the presence of oxygen and water vapour, consistent with Brada's conclusions of a less reducing atmosphere? So why does Brada now go ahead to add ferrous iron?

There are way TOO MANY problems with the Brada experiment . . . even their paper is riddled with "maybes" . . . that hanging our hats on this is tantamount to "faith" in itself.

Idehn:

To your last point Powner has not addressed the issue of how to isolate the stereo-isomers specific to all organic life. That problem still needs to be solved.

But THAT is a critical problem to just gloss over. If Powner had added slightly equal amounts of stereoisomers for each of his starting molecules then you have no pyrimidines. simple.

Again plenty of[i] investigator interference[/i] here.

Idehn:

Your criticism about the use of Ultraviolet light is not strong either. It does not seem from the paper that he just zapped it ultraviolet light. The sun produces plenty of UV radiation and the day cycle would are guaranteed periods of alternating UV intensity. Or it may be that volcanic eruptions temporarily reduced penetration of UV rays.

But Powner also agrees that UV light would have "zapped" his own products as well. Carefully timing when to use the UV light and the exact amount to use in order to get rid of impurities while preserving your products is investigator interference . . . something that could not have been a random process in primordial earth. Lets be honest here pls.

Idehn:

Hold on a moment. Unfortunately, in my haste I linked to the wrong article. The correct article "A reassessment of prebiotic organic synthesis in neutral planetary atmospheres". I decided not to post the article here, but if you want a copy I can upload it to some website and give you a link. But here is a cut from the document.

Point conceded. I have accessed the article as well.

Idehn:

It is more important to first identify a process that can definitely produce self replicating RNA. It is unreasonable to expect scientist to try to produce such an effect under random conditions. It is a process that would have needed a multitude of attempts possibly a billion years to mature. You are being a contrarian about for its own sake. Yeah stereo-isomers are still an issue, but is still in the the air. Their is no physical law that says natural processes cannot select for certain molecular configurations. It may even be that certain configurations will work better. No one knows yet.

1. I'm not sure i understand you here . . . if it is unreasonable to expect scientists to produce RNA or amino acids under random conditions then why do you use their work to make the claim that such conditions could have happened under random conditions?  undecided

2. There is no physical law that says natural processes cannot select for certain molecular configs BUT we also know that natural processes CANNOT select for certain molecular configs. That much is established. It is why the stereo-isomers conundrum is a serious issue. It is why Powner is careful to select one stereo-isomer for his experiment . . . if he tried to re-create random conditions then his work completely false apart. He can only create pyrimidines by careful investigator interference.

Idehn:

Again you should go ask Powner as he is the expert. He probably has some ideas/explanations rolling around in his head. He may have already even published more work already.

If you quote his work then i expect its because you understand it enough to defend it logically. It makes no sense to quote a paper ostensibly to support your argument THEN go ahead to say "go ask Powner" when that work is critiqued.

Idehn:

You really latched on to my mistake. Unfortunately, for you I am correct about Boda repeating the Miller experiment and I clearly read the Nature article so give this not reading things a rest already. You are just stroking your ego.

which is quite funny considering the number of times you have accused me of, in your own words, "But of coarse you cannot be bothered to do actual research on your own can you. You just sit around being an internet contrarian". Would you also be honest enough to acknowledge i DID READ and do my research and you were merely stroking your own ego? I would not expect such honesty.

Idehn:

Your points beyond RNA synthesis are significantly more pathetic. Furthermore, I am getting sick of the trading insults business we have degenerated into. Let us just get it all out of the way and start having a civil conversation like two adults. Otherwise we should just agree to disagree. Now if you excuse me I am going to bed.

1. First of all lets be clear, Powner synthesised PYRIMIDINES and not RNA, both are not the same and should NOT be used interchangeably with such flippancy.

2. The reducing earth hypothesis that Brada himself regards as unlikely would shoot down Powner's use of formaldehyde in his experiments. See HCN problem above.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by unphilaz(m): 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2011
thanks sexkill 4 such a topic and your refusal to digress it has helped me see that apart from lookin at holes in other peoples argument, they really have no stand. wat a long thread really appreciate all that contributed
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:29pm On Aug 28, 2011
unphilaz:

thanks sexkill 4 such a topic and your refusal to digress it has helped me see that apart from lookin at holes in other peoples argument, they really have no stand. wat a long thread really appreciate all that contributed

Yes. And kudos to davdylan for exposing those pseudo-scientists. wink
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2011
Is this the end of atheism on nairaland? Sexkillz and davidyland shocked embarassed
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Enigma(m): 8:15pm On Aug 28, 2011
^^^ Once somebody who knows his/her stuff stands up to them, they are soon exposed for what they truly are. Look at Dawkins and co running away all over the place from debating Craig --- much to the dismay of many of Dawkins' own supporters.

cool
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by wordtalk(m): 9:00pm On Aug 28, 2011
toba:

Is this the end of atheism on nairaland? Sexkillz and davidyland shocked embarassed

Not likely. Worldviews are not often settled on arguments. wink
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 9:10pm On Aug 28, 2011
Enigma:

^^^ Once somebody who knows his/her stuff stands up to them, they are soon exposed for what they truly are. Look at Dawkins and co running away all over the place from debating Craig --- much to the dismay of many of Dawkins' own supporters.

cool

Are you kidding me? If davidylan TRULY knows his stuff about all what he is saying i.e evolution is false then he will win a Nobel peace price. . .Evolution is a theory that has NOT been falsified according to scientist. I want him to put his money where is mouth is, take up the challenge and write a publication on any scientific journal discrediting evolution with all the point he claims he has and lets see how it will go. . .If he TRULY knows his onions he will be able to do this, no?. . .As for debating Craig, you are quick to parrot William Craig but I bet you won't tell people that William Craig has openly stated that he does NOT believe in the creation accounts in genesis he believes it to be an allegory and non factual. . .He believes that the big b[i]a[/i]ng is true but according to him God created the big b[i]a[/i]ng. . . .He is wise enough to discard the myth written in the bible which scientific observation has shown to be FALSE. . .How can you debate someone that doesn't agree on what his holy book says?. . .What then is the basis for the debate?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

Are you kidding me? If davidylan TRULY knows his stuff about all what he is saying i.e evolution is false then he will win a Nobel peace price. . .Evolution is a theory that has NOT been falsified according to scientist. I want him to put his money where is mouth is, take up the challenge and write a publication on any scientific journal discrediting evolution with all the point he claims he has and lets see how it will go. . .If he TRULY knows his onions he will be able to do this, no?. . .
And with all your rantings about religion, HOW MANY ACCOLADES have you won? Why dont you take your OWN ADVICE and write a publication discrediting religion, with all the points you claim you have and let's see how it will go. . . If YOU TRULY know your ONIONS, you'll be able to do that, NO?. . . . . PATHETIC! undecided
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 9:19pm On Aug 28, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Yes.  And kudos to davdylan for exposing those pseudo-scientists.  wink

Look who is talking. . .pseudo-scientists, eh. . . Imagine some one that goes about posting BASELESS "scientific"  evidence to show that the earth and the universe were created 6000 years ago, or that the entire earth was covered in a flood calling others  pseudo-scientists. . .  grin grin cheesy
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 9:30pm On Aug 28, 2011
sexkillz:

And with all your rantings about religion, HOW MANY ACCOLADES have you won? Why dont you take your OWN ADVICE and write a publication discrediting religion, with all the points you claim you have and let's see how it will go. . . If YOU TRULY know your ONIONS, you'll be able to do that, NO?. . . . . PATHETIC! undecided

Religion and science work differently. . .If an establish theory is false or falsifiable, all you need to do as a scientist  is point it out to others. That is how science works. . .It's laws and theories are universally accepted and can be challenged or falsified openly. That is not true for religion because even members of the same religion disagree vehemently on the basic nature of their God and what scripture says. what is there to falsify when everything abut religion is based on faith?. . . According to Ron Ashley science adjust it's views based on what is observed while faith is the denial of observation, so that beliefs can be preserved. . . .Religion does NOT tolerate opposing views. We are only able to post here freely because the owner of nairaland is an atheist. . .If he were a christian or muslim most of us would have been banned. . .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

[size=15pt]Religion and science work differently[/size]. . .If an establish theory is false or falsifiable, all you need to do as a scientist  is point it out to others. That is how science works. . .It's laws and theories are universally accepted and can be challenged or falsified openly. That is not true for religion because even members of the same religion disagree vehemently on the basic nature of their God and what scripture says. what is there to falsify when everything abut religion is based on faith?. . . According to Ron Ashley science adjust it's views based on what is observed while faith is the denial of observation, so that beliefs can be preserved. . . .Religion does NOT tolerate opposing views. We are only able to post here freely because the owner of nairaland is an atheist. . .If he were a christian or muslim most of us would have been banned. . .

So why tha HELL do ATHEISTS INSIST on Bringing in POINTS from SCIENCE whenever they are trying, to REFUTE RELIGION? Cant you guys use your own ARGUMENTS for ONCE? NO?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 28, 2011
wordtalk:

Not likely. Worldviews are not often settled on arguments. wink
of course i was just being sarcastic. however, its still lopsided cause most atheists here believes the contrary, hence always choose to be aggressive and result to yelling insults once their views are being discarded.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 28, 2011
sexkillz:

dont mind the fellow. Millions of scientists disagree with evolution as well and very few care enough to go writing in nature to debunk evolutionary claims. So because i dont agree that the sky is blue on a public forum i should go write a paper in science journal? Like sexkillz said, has he taken his own advice? Of course not.

How obtuse.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

Are you kidding me? If davidylan TRULY knows his stuff about all what he is saying i.e evolution is false then he will win a Nobel peace price. . .Evolution is a theory that has NOT been falsified according to scientist. I want him to put his money where is mouth is, take up the challenge and write a publication on any scientific journal discrediting evolution with all the point he claims he has and lets see how it will go. . .If he TRULY knows his onions he will be able to do this, no?. . .As for debating Craig, you are quick to parrot William Craig but I bet you won't tell people that William Craig has openly stated that he does NOT believe in the creation accounts in genesis he believes it to be an allegory and non factual. . .He believes that the big b[i]a[/i]ng is true but according to him God created the big b[i]a[/i]ng. . . .He is wise enough to discard the myth written in the bible which scientific observation has shown to be FALSE. . .How can you debate someone that doesn't agree on what his holy book says?. . .What then is the basis for the debate?

neither has any one empirical evidence no?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 9:49pm On Aug 28, 2011
sexkillz:

So why tha HELL do ATHEISTS INSIST on Bringing in POINTS from SCIENCE whenever they are trying, to REFUTE RELIGION? Cant you guys use your own ARGUMENTS for ONCE? NO?

Because science has disproved many Gods and religious assertions and it will continue to do so. . .Humans have always invented Gods or other invisible entities and supernatural explanations to explain that which they don't understand.  But then science comes along and tells them to stop sacrificing virgins to please some imaginary fertility Gods, science has shown people that there are no weather Gods that need pleasing, and we can do better by using irrigation and planting weather resistant crops instead of wasting time sacrificing animals to please the weather Gods. . .When sick science has provided us with drugs to cure and help us out instead of praying to some Gods for healing or sprinkling the bloods of some animals on sick people to heal them. . . Science has provided the best explanations for most things. . .The rainbow use to be explained as a necklace of some Goddess or a covenant between some Jewish tribal God and  his chosen people, but science came along and showed that its simply a refraction of light waves in the earth's atmosphere. . .Where are the Gods of thunder and lighting? Once the scientific explanation was provided for these two phenomenon the Gods of thunder and lighting all died natural deaths , no?. . . .Our ignorance is God, what we know is science. . . .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mazaje(m): 9:55pm On Aug 28, 2011
davidylan:

dont mind the fellow. Millions of scientists disagree with evolution as well and very few care enough to go writing in nature to debunk evolutionary claims. So because i dont agree that the sky is blue on a public forum i should go write a paper in science journal? Like sexkillz said, has he taken his own advice? Of course not.

How obtuse.

Not true, evolution is main stream science. . .Its one thing to disagree and another thing entirely to show that something is false. . .The fact that they disagree with the theory does not mean its false. . .Any scientist that disagrees with the theory and knows how to falsify it will very quickly do so because he/she knows that he stands to gain a lot. . .He will will a Nobel peace price among many other things. . .Science has a way that it works, if you claim to be a scientist and you TRULY know that a theory or hypothesis is false, then you are supposed to go ahead and show that its false. . .That is how science works. . .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Purist(m): 9:59pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

Because science has disproved many Gods and religious assertions and it will continue to do so. . .Humans have always invented Gods or other invisible entities and supernatural explanations to explain that which they don't understand.  But then science comes along and tells them to stop sacrificing virgins to please some imaginary fertility Gods, science has shown people that there are no weather Gods that need pleasing, and we can do better by using irrigation and planting weather resistant crops instead of wasting time sacrificing animals to please the weather Gods. . .When sick science has provided us with drugs to cure and help us out instead of praying to some Gods for healing or sprinkling the bloods of some animals on sick people to heal them. . . Science has provided the best explanations for most things. . .The rainbow use to be explained as a necklace of some Goddess or a covenant between some Jewish tribal God and  his chosen people, but science came along and showed that its simply a fraction of light waves in the earth's atmosphere. . .Where are the Gods of thunder and lighting? Once the scientific explanation was provided for these two phenomenon the Gods of thunder and lighting all died natural deaths , no?. . . .Our ignorance is God, what we know is science. . . .

To buttress your point, here's something I just copied off some page on Facebook:

Reason always wins when logic and evidence are revered standards. Science has answered so many questions that religion used to try and explain (earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, volcanoes, the tides, planets, stars, birth, death, disease, seasons, etc.) yet people still fill in the blanks science hasn't gotten to yet with "god". Why? What's one thing that we used to answer with science that religion now gives the best explanation for?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 28, 2011
Purist:

To buttress your point, here's something I just copied off some page on Facebook:

Reason always wins when logic and evidence are revered standards. Science has answered so many questions that religion used to try and explain (earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, volcanoes, the tides, planets, stars, birth, death, disease, seasons, etc.) yet people still fill in the blanks science hasn't gotten to yet with "god". Why? What's one thing that we used to answer with science that religion now gives the best explanation for?

Our resident cheerleader. Should introduce him to thehomer.

Here is the problem dudes . . . serious christians know that religion and science are NOT inter-related. With me, religion/faith is a way of life while science is a career. Both are distinct. I can go work in the lab without that having a prejudicial influence on my faith and vice versa. Rather it is the atheist who has a problem with religion and tries too hard to use science as a stick with which to beat it.

I have to point out one thing . . . the inconsistent use of the term "logic" as if this is strictly the domain of science. On this thread alone, we have been treated to several completely illogical science articles purporting to describe the origin of life . . .
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 28, 2011
mazaje:

Not true, evolution is main stream science. . .Its one thing to disagree and another thing entirely to show that something is false. . .The fact that they disagree with the theory does not mean its false. . .Any scientist that disagrees with the theory and knows how to falsify it will very quickly do so because he/she knows that he stands to gain a lot. . .He will will a Nobel peace price among many other things. . .Science has a way that it works, if you claim to be a scientist and you TRULY know that a theory or hypothesis is false, then you are supposed to go ahead and show that its false. . .That is how science works. . .

this is a completely illogical non-argument.

1. Scientists disagree with theories all the time, they dont have to write articles on it as long as it has very little relevance to their field. I have been in several lab meetings/journal clubs where professors have raised deep misgivings on several published papers. I cant remember anyone of them writing articles on it to gain anything.

2. You dont know how science works my friend . . . pls desist from this false information. You are NOT obligated to "go ahead and show" that a theory you merely disagree with is false. If that were the case there would be no space in any journals even if they were published every day. The best you see is:

a. letter to the editor - a short 2-3 paragraph letter explaining in brief why a scientist may disagree with a body of work. This is usually published in the journal and that's it. cest fini.
b. Someone publishes a rebuttal paper . . . very rare to see this and usually comes from fellow scientists in the field whose own work is directly impacted.

Since i do not work in the field of evolution, why should i go publish my disagreements? When are you taking your own advice like sexkillz said?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Christian Struggling With Marijuana Addiction / Do Christians Need To Confess Adultery To Their Partners? / Who Was The Disciple Whom Jesus Loved?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 212
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.