Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 (79152 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 4:46pm On Dec 19, 2022
pointednose:
Hello everyone

Good to be here. Please let's keep this thread alive.

I will be arriving the US in a couple of months. I will be working in the dayton area, Ohio. Anybody in Ohio I can connect with? I want to ask things around getting an apartment, getting schools and daycare for my kids, getting a car and furniture, Nigerian churches around, African stores around. Just hacks around those things too. Things to look out for, resources available that I should take opportunity of. I am open to suggestions from people outside Ohio too. Thanks everyone.

I'm a student. But not in Ohio. But this thread isn't generating the needed traction. I think if the mods Justwise and DisGuy give their support, it'll help.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by DisGuy: 10:03am On Dec 20, 2022
Rdfactor:

I'm a student. But not in Ohio. But this thread isn't generating the needed traction. I think if the mods Justwise and DisGuy give their support, it'll help.

Hi Rdfactor, what sort of support do you reckon? Would you like the thread stuck to the top of the travel section?

You might want to invite other known US residents in other threads to come in here

7 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by kejykejy: 7:02pm On Dec 20, 2022
Good to be here house, am planning to visit us to spend my leave.
Pls which tourist center in us can u guys recommend for me here
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by pointednose: 11:58pm On Dec 20, 2022
How can we get a link to this thread just incase we want to invite people from other threads?

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by DisGuy: 12:40am On Dec 22, 2022
pointednose:
How can we get a link to this thread just incase we want to invite people from other threads?

https://www.nairaland.com/7432492/living-usa-life-immigrant-part/1#119275969

Just copy + paste the link to the thread ^^

4 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by BunmiBie: 10:29am On Dec 22, 2022
Very good! We really need this thread.

repping, TX.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by BunmiBie: 10:29am On Dec 22, 2022
DisGuy:

Hi Rdfactor, what sort of support do you reckon? Would you like the thread stuck to the top of the travel section?

You might want to invite other known US residents in other threads to come in here

Thanks!!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by pointednose: 3:54pm On Dec 22, 2022
DisGuy:

https://www.nairaland.com/7432492/living-usa-life-immigrant-part/1#119275969

Just copy + paste the link to the thread ^^
Ok. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Gipre(m): 10:25pm On Dec 22, 2022
This is a good thread. I love USA. I hope to live there oneday hopefully.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nozino: 12:39am On Dec 23, 2022
Soon.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by kabukabu50(m): 7:39am On Dec 23, 2022
Is this supposed to be FAQs or just personal stories?

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Originalsly: 7:46am On Dec 23, 2022

The reason I reach out to you is because there's no thread for Nigerian community living in the US on nairaland.

This can be very interesting and informative to those in the diaspora and back home ... but highly likely to be derailed by enquiries on how to get to the US and by " beggars" who would discourage many from contributing to the thread in order to not expose their location. But we can give it a try.

Nobody

Location: New York City. So many things are taken for granted here ... like getting Nigerian food stuffs.... that's never a problem since there is always a store not more that 10 minutes drive regardless of where you live. The city is expensive... overheads like rent and employee pay will no doubt be passed on to the food items .... but then there is competition and proximity of stores which keep prices under control. The price is too high or items not in good condition.... we jump and pass... on to the next store! I feel sorry for you guys out there with that one store that you have to travel soooo far to reach... and when you get there..... take what you get and pay the ransom. If you're out there ... in the wilderness ... maybe you should order foodstuffs from back home and let the person send it via NIPOST.... job creation ... business venture for someone back home. To find a trustworthy and reliable person back home would be the biggest problem.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 8:59am On Dec 23, 2022
Long overdue grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by BunmiBie: 4:58pm On Dec 23, 2022
Originalsly:

This can be very interesting and informative to those in the diaspora and back home ... but highly likely to be derailed by enquiries on how to get to the US and by " beggars" who would discourage many from contributing to the thread in order to not expose their location. But we can give it a try.

Nobody

Location: New York City. So many things are taken for granted here ... like getting Nigerian food stuffs.... that's never a problem since there is always a store not more that 10 minutes drive regardless of where you live. The city is expensive... overheads like rent and employee pay will no doubt be passed on to the food items .... but then there is competition and proximity of stores which keep prices under control. The price is too high or items not in good condition.... we jump and pass... on to the next store! I feel sorry for you guys out there with that one store that you have to travel soooo far to reach... and when you get there..... take what you get and pay the ransom. If you're out there ... in the wilderness ... maybe you should order foodstuffs from back home and let the person send it via NIPOST.... job creation ... business venture for someone back home. To find a trustworthy and reliable person back home would be the biggest problem.

Really! but will it not take forever to get the stuff?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Originalsly: 5:10pm On Dec 23, 2022
BunmiBie:

Really! but will it not take forever to get the stuff?

Two weeks on average.... much shorter if by express. Also depends on sender location and receiver location. If both live in larger cities deliveries will be faster.... if rural areas.... longer.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by thanks4idias: 6:55am On Dec 25, 2022
Merry Christmas, if any of you need Nigeria food stuffs in the U.S and you need it to be send through Nipost to you, you can contact me, am base in Nigeria precisely Delta State. Thanks

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by inyanging: 10:58pm On Dec 25, 2022
IF U NEED PURE RED OIL & NATIVE AFFANG (OKASI) EMAIL ME

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Adelaide54: 4:14pm On Dec 26, 2022
Hello everyone. Let's make this thread home

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 4:15pm On Dec 26, 2022
thanks4idias:
Merry Christmas, if any of you need Nigeria food stuffs in the U.S and you need it to be send through Nipost to you, you can contact me, am base in Nigeria precisely Delta State. Thanks

I seriously need Nigerian food. Food stuffs
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by BunmiBie: 6:56pm On Dec 26, 2022
Originalsly:

Nobody

Can you recommend a bank for student and a credit card provider too.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 11:19am On Dec 27, 2022
BunmiBie:

Can you recommend a bank for student and a credit card provider too.

Thanks

Though I have reservations as concerning credit card and I don't personally use it anymore;well maybe I still would. But for your credit card, Discover Credit card is decent. Discover will give you 6 months 0% APR (meaning you can carry your balance till the next month without owing up interest as far as u pay the minimum balance every month), $2K credit line (depending on what you earn as a student), $100 sign on bonus if you use someone sign on link, etc

For banks, try and check out Bank of America, US Bank, Simmons bank etc.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Esinlomo: 5:49pm On Dec 27, 2022
USA is completely a different place. Clean roads, mad road network, Even the shedding of colorful leaves on the 'inroads' from the tree flanking those roads beautifies those roads. I never knew USA is this interesting! Even if you don't have eyes for beauty, once you landed at the airport, the Immigration would hand you a pair of such eyes!

9 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:00pm On Dec 27, 2022
Esinlomo:
USA is completely a different place. Clean roads, mad road network, Even the shedding of colorful leaves on the 'inroads' from the tree flanking those roads beautifies those roads. I never knew USA is this interesting! Even if you don't have eyes for beauty, once you landed at the airport, the Immigration would hand you a pair of such eyes!

And each state will give you different scenery during different seasons. America is large enough to vacation across and never run out of destinations. Many say that most Americans don’t leave their country but exploring the US is enough for many. Enjoy

7 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by pointednose: 8:10pm On Dec 27, 2022
Hello all,

I was told I will need a car in Ohio state that I will be moving to. So trying to weigh the best options. Get a car financing or save up to buy a fairly used car. Someone talked about exploring Facebook market to see some options to purchase a car. What do y'@ll think please?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

And each state will give you different scenery during different seasons. America is large enough to vacation across and never run out of destinations. Many say that most Americans don’t leave their country but exploring the US is enough for many. Enjoy

I, especially, want to have a feel of how the winter is like in warm States like Arizona, Florida and California perhaps. States in the Midwest can be too cold at This time lol cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2022
pointednose:
Hello all,

I was told I will need a car in Ohio state that I will be moving to. So trying to weigh the best options. Get a car financing or save up to buy a fairly used car. Someone talked about exploring Facebook market to see some options to purchase a car. What do y'@ll think please?

How do you want to get a financing should be the question you'll need to answer. First, financing most things might need you to provide your Credit History in which case you'll need to have your SSN and must've been financing things so they can reconcile your credit scores. But someone else can provide more clarification on this. But I'll assume you're already in the US and already have a credit History. It's easy to get a car.

If you save up and buy a car too, that's good. Some people might advise you otherwise, but I won't. And that's just personal .

Check Facebook marketplace. You'll see people that want to offer their car up for sale. Be sure to know the mileage though smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by BunmiBie: 6:07pm On Dec 28, 2022
Rdfactor:

Though I have reservations as concerning credit card and I don't personally use it anymore;well maybe I still would. But for your credit card, Discover Credit card is decent. Discover will give you 6 months 0% APR (meaning you can carry your balance till the next month without owing up interest as far as u pay the minimum balance every month), $2K credit line (depending on what you earn as a student), $100 sign on bonus if you use someone sign on link, etc

For banks, try and check out Bank of America, US Bank, Simmons bank etc.

Thanks! I will check them out.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by pointednose: 7:39pm On Dec 28, 2022
I am not in the US yet but I am going for work. I thought maybe proof of employment may help too.

Your points are well noted. Thanks
Rdfactor:

How do you want to get a financing should be the question you'll need to answer. First, financing most things might need you to provide your Credit History in which case you'll need to have your SSN and must've been financing things so they can reconcile your credit scores. But someone else can provide more clarification on this. But I'll assume you're already in the US and already have a credit History. It's easy to get a car.

If you save up and buy a car too, that's good. Some people might advise you otherwise, but I won't. And that's just personal .

Check Facebook marketplace. You'll see people that want to offer their car up for sale. Be sure to know the mileage though smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Irupetepete: 10:05am On Dec 29, 2022
Usa wey dey deny people visa anyhow like say my papa Don offend dem before

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Anfieldboss: 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2022
Hoping to join this community soon smiley

10 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 8:56pm On Dec 29, 2022
Irupetepete:
Usa wey dey deny people visa anyhow like say my papa Don offend dem before

LoL. Student Visa? Or what type of Visa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Visa To Mexico Is Not As Difficult As You Think ! / Lady Who Was Set To Wed In October Crushed By Truck In Ajah (photo) / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.