Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 (79302 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Seunblack7070: 3:43am On Mar 26, 2023
Best thing is for his fiance to come to Nigeria, get married to him, and come back to the United States to file for him.
Orisha17:
Good morning
What's the best japa route for my elder brother

He has a fiance who is a citizen of the United states and they plan on using masters degree route
I'm here because I know I'll get better ideas on how to go about it
Thank you
Cheers!
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 29, 2023
Good afternoon everyone

Which of these places will you advise a young couple to settle down?
No kids yet
The wife has job offers in different states already, husband works in media and will like a job in the industry over there
Missouri
Iowa
North Carolina
South Dakota
Kentucky
Ohio
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Bossman(m): 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2023
Mentioning the exact city will be helpful a bit. Depending on the field, job opportunities my be limited Iowa, S. D., and Kentucky. Also, some of these places may not really have much by way of activities for a young couple.

Vibra:
Good afternoon everyone

No kids yet
The wife has job offers in different states already, husband works in media and will like a job in the industry over there
Missouri
Iowa
North Carolina
South Dakota
Kentucky
Ohio

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:32pm On Mar 29, 2023
Vibra:
Good afternoon everyone

No kids yet
Missouri
Iowa
North Carolina
South Dakota
Kentucky
Ohio

It depends on your preferences and likes/dislikes. Are you looking for a quiet setting, somewhere with more families, or ?
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 29, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

It depends on your preferences and likes/dislikes. Are you looking for a quiet setting, somewhere with more families, or ?
want somewhere calm and has job opportunities for the man
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 29, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

A quiet place with blacks generally, low cost of living also
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 1:04am On Mar 30, 2023
Vibra:
A quiet place with blacks generally, low cost of living also

Those States you mentioned are basically boring States in the US with little to no activities going on there. Job prospect is low, and pay might not be that great. But the cost of living isn't that high too. Black population is Also low. Because it's rare to see immigrant going to these kind of States since Most immigrant are going to the US for better opportunities and greener pastures

6 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 30, 2023
Tadadobe:

Those States you mentioned are basically boring States in the US with little to no activities going on there. Job prospect is low, and pay might not be that great. But the cost of living isn't that high too. Black population is Also low. Because it's rare to see immigrant going to these kind of States since Most immigrant are going to the US for better opportunities and greener pastures
Chai!
Thank you
Can you mention states with high job prospects please
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Bossman(m): 8:13pm On Mar 30, 2023
It has to be narrowed down to the city. Just too broad at the state level. Every state has some boring places. You can also google specifically for what kinds of jobs you guys are seeking and see what cities have the most.

Vibra:

Chai!
Thank you
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Originalsly: 9:15pm On Mar 30, 2023
All those states mentioned .... calm .... quiet ... low cost of living ... wonderful states for introverts and those who don't like sharing space with other people ... especially Blacks.... a rare breed in these states .... not too much violence but when they are ready to pull the trigger.... the whole world knows about it ... 24 confirmed dead ... 39 wounded ... the mass murderer shooter taken into custody. pick your poison.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by brighttech95(m): 8:37pm On Apr 01, 2023
Originalsly:
All those states mentioned .... calm .... quiet ... low cost of living ... wonderful states for introverts and those who don't like sharing space with other people ... especially Blacks.... a rare breed in these states .... not too much violence but when they are ready to pull the trigger.... the whole world knows about it ... 24 confirmed dead ... 39 wounded ... the mass murderer shooter taken into custody. pick your poison.

Really
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Greatajo(m): 11:51am On Apr 04, 2023
Good morning lovely people. I just came across this thread. I was denied a visa twice even with full funding and it broke my heart that I couldn't apply for admission this fall. I know studies are the easiest route as they told us and that's why I wanted to ply that route that was why I sought a scholarship as there's no way I could afford education outside. Please, what other route can one go through considering life as a Nigerian. Thank you all
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by lilbro(m): 7:10pm On Apr 04, 2023
Vibra:

Chai!
Thank you

1.Texas
2.California
3.New York
4.Atlanta
5.Maryland
6.Washinton D.C
7.Massachusetts
8.North Carolina
9.South Carolina
10.Arizona

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by thatthickgurl(f): 3:51pm On Apr 05, 2023
Greatajo:
Good morning lovely people. I just came across this thread. I was denied a visa twice even with full funding and it broke my heart that I couldn't apply for admission this fall. I know studies are the easiest route as they told us and that's why I wanted to ply that route that was why I sought a scholarship as there's no way I could afford education outside. Please, what other route can one go through considering life as a Nigerian. Thank you all

Hi
Did you have someone go through your transcripts to see what might be wrong ??

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by lilbro(m): 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2023
Greatajo:

Be sure your information in the visa application is the same as the story you are telling the VO. BTW did you apply by yourself or you used an agent? Agents have been synonymous with ruining it all for visa applicants and the wont even let you know, most people keep applying for a US visa and keep getting a refusal unknown to them they have a 10yrs Ban on their profile.

Just be consistent with whatever information in your application and apply for the third time sometimes the want to see how bad you want it and you will sure get it don't give up!

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by PedigreeCity: 5:15am On Apr 06, 2023
Please, what other route can one go through considering life as a Nigerian. Thank you all
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 06, 2023
PedigreeCity:
Please, what other route can one go through considering life as a Nigerian. Thank you all

Sell your house, properties and everything. Then use the money to relocate. If it's not enough, you can sell your kidneys. America is a land of opportunities

3 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 11:06pm On Apr 06, 2023
Cocao:

Please, don't come. You don't even have to announce it. People in the US are not complaining. Don't cry more than the bereaved.

Are you sick or something? Must you comment? Eediot

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by etare788(f): 11:33pm On Apr 06, 2023
lilbro:

Be sure your information in the visa application is the same as the story you are telling the VO. BTW did you apply by yourself or you used an agent? Agents have been synonymous with ruining it all for visa applicants and the wont even let you know, most people keep applying for a US visa and keep getting a refusal unknown to them they have a 10yrs Ban on their profile.

Just be consistent with whatever information in your application and apply for the third time sometimes the want to see how bad you want it and you will sure get it don't give up!

Please how do one know he/she has been given a 10yrs ban from applying to the US.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by iyanuakin(m): 2:43pm On Apr 07, 2023
Coquinoqui:

Yes it's too expensive but with lots of opportunities. Don't see myself leaving NY anytime soon. Live within ur means and don't spend unnecessarily. You in NY?

Was in NY briefly for vacation last year, coming in next week
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by lilbro(m): 12:10am On Apr 08, 2023
etare788:

Please how do one know he/she has been given a 10yrs ban from applying to the US.

They will never tell you or you will never know! but once you keep getting more than 4 refusals that's an indication and time to look at another country, you have no fear of a ban if all your documents are legit and your personal information are consistent.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 08, 2023
Hello all, has anyone tried renewing their Nigerian international passport in the US recently? My passport expires in August 2023 and I want to know how & where I can renew it without much stress. I am currently living in Missouri. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Originalsly: 9:27am On Apr 09, 2023
Tadadobe:

With the recent news that dollars is going to be deemphasized and might probably lose values, I'm beginning to think twice about my relocation move. My uncle that recently came back from the US gave me $5000 to do business and I initially thought about using this money to move abroad.

I'm not like an average Nigerian who get carried away with "there are good road and 99hr power supply abroad". When I travel, I'm going there to go and make money not to count ceiling and take hot picture for the Instagram and to pepper people at home.

If dollars get decentralized and $1 = about #250, thouh this development will not go well with people abroad since they'll have fear that the little they send home will no longer be able to surprise anyone, and their usual conversion strategy will no longer work. But on the other hand, this move will help people in Nigeria as there won't be that much of a difference between someone earning #500,000 in Nigeria and the one earning $3000 abroad

Your uncle knows the situation in the US ... and the situation in Nigeria. He has taken hus hard earned money and gave it to you to invest in Nigeria. This shows that he has faith in you .... and like you said... that you are not one of those japa people. He is confident and expecting that you will put his money to good use... find good business to grow the money. It is a lot if money now to invest... wayyyy less if the dollar declines. He will be calling you later to find out about your business plan and what progress you've made. What will you tell him? ... that you're thinking about japa? ... and business plans are on the back burner? This is a major reason why many abroad do not assist many back home as much as they can ..... people are deceptive ... cannot be trusted.

My advice.... use the money as intended .... invest in a business. Visit the US ... see what life is like .... you will have a wider perspective of life ... of opportunities to grow your business ... and be in a better position to decide if it's better to remain based in Nigeria and travel back and forth as you wish. Your uncle already knows .... the reason why he gave you to invest in Nigeria. Return his money ... discuss your thoughts or open a business .... just don't use the money for another thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by worried222: 11:28am On Apr 09, 2023
Tadadobe:
With the recent news that dollars is going to be deemphasized and might probably lose values, I'm beginning to think twice about my relocation move. My uncle that recently came back from the US gave me $5000 to do business and I initially thought about using this money to move abroad.

I'm not like an average Nigerian who get carried away with "there are good road and 99hr power supply abroad". When I travel, I'm going there to go and make money not to count ceiling and take hot picture for the Instagram and to pepper people at home.

If dollars get decentralized and $1 = about #250, thouh this development will not go well with people abroad since they'll have fear that the little they send home will no longer be able to surprise anyone, and their usual conversion strategy will no longer work. But on the other hand, this move will help people in Nigeria as there won't be that much of a difference between someone earning #500,000 in Nigeria and the one earning $3000 abroad
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ and πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ are trash, in fact all the western countries are trash! Only πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬ is good for now because it has everything one needs to be successful eg good jobs, schools, good roads, security is top notch and our health system is very robust and everything works.
πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬ for you, allow the fools to japa.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by maridrug(m): 12:26am On Apr 10, 2023
Your reliable errand connect in Naija, I have been tested and trusted.
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Rdfactor(m): 12:39am On Apr 10, 2023
UnaDoWell:
Hello all, has anyone tried renewing their Nigerian international passport in the US recently? My passport expires in August 2023 and I want to know how & where I can renew it without much stress. I am currently living in Missouri. Thanks.

Midwest people. Where are you in Missouri. Kansas, st Louis, Jefferson.

I've not renewed my passport but I think people renew their NG passport in DC. There's a Nigerian embassy in DC
Re: Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 by Bossman(m): 6:52pm On Apr 10, 2023
There are embassies in DC, NY and Atlanta. Take your pick...none of them that does not involve stress of some sort. As you will have to travel there for fingerprinting. Here is the link for the Atlanta one. You can google the other two. I personally have always renewed in Naija when I am there. The embassy also go to some major cities to do mobile passport services. Check their websites for dates. My brother renewed his a few years ago via that means when they came to Chicago. Also, if you do not have an NIN, you will need one. So get that done first. You can get it done at some locations in US, including here in Chicago. Google for it.

https://www.nigeriaconsulateatlanta.org/new-renewal/
UnaDoWell:

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (27) (Reply)

Air Peace Crew To Dubai Wear β€˜Isi Agu’ Suit And Red Cap / 10 Unbelievable Photos Of Lagos You Will Mistake For London / I Regret Coming To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.