Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example (33839 Views)

Japa: Nigerian Youths Opt For Stowing On Ships / Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by fredoooooo: 12:49pm On Nov 18, 2022
Whois:
100 percent
Japa from Anambra to Lagos is a daily thing in Nigeria.
Want another lie call OBI .. he will deliver grin cheesy

1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Sensiblerealist: 12:49pm On Nov 18, 2022
Sheyne na stone dem dey take invest. Social media investors. Yeye dey smell. People are taking the best options available to them, you are there yarning okpata.
Just do you

Pierocash:
.People like you are the reasons young Nigerians don't think they can make it in Nigeria.

What Agbaje pointed out is nothing but the truth. How will a bank executive resign her position and relocated to become a health care assistant and all you could do is to justify it by saying she earns a decent pay. What kind of life is she living there and how much does she earns? You are talking of fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram, those people running away from Nigeria are not even in there region of bandits and Boko Haram,these are Southerners using Boko Haram as the excuse to japa only to end up with lower standard of living,while those who are directly affected are not even considering japa as an option.

People tend to use exchange rate to measure wealth,but you are wrong. Exchange rate is not and indices to measure standard of living. You measure standard of living using what is called PPP(Purchasing price/power parity). That is what is used to determine standard of living not exchange rate. There are people in Nigeria here who have never touched dollar or pounds in their life ,but have higher standard of living that so many of their counter parts abroad.

Quit this your japa mentality and build yourself here,there is honey and gold in Nigeria here. You can't convince someone like me to japa,I will rather go there to invest and return home just to spread my business nothing more.

I stand with Agbaje.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by AntiTerrorist: 12:50pm On Nov 18, 2022
Thortp:
Oga Sir, Let everyone decide on what they want.
Not everyone is after wealth or status in the society.
All some people craves for is simply rest of mind, considering the high level of insecurity in the country.
A presidential convoy was attacked in Nigeria for God's sake.

I see many people leaving in droves even to neighbouring African countries if Nigeria's situation remains the same after a year from now.

Modified:
Will the bank executive turned cleaner remains like that forever?

Now consider this. Just a day headline in a country
You must be an urchin.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Greattha: 12:50pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pricesly.

Different strokes for different folks.

Like someone already asked. Are Agbaje's children in Nigeria? I bet they're either American or British citizens...not just students.

Michaeljames22:
Everyone feels their opinion is right

8 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by lacacia91: 12:50pm On Nov 18, 2022
Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Benrosaria(m): 12:50pm On Nov 18, 2022
Yes he knows what he is saying

Yes those countries Giving blacks visas are extremely and terribly wicked, this means they are stealing every human who is an economic value to their individual country and yet still get paid for stealing these dumb skull humans.

He is so right

He knows what he is saying if he also joins the forces of “seize every opportunity” the everyday slogan of a black man.. so terrible..

Hey Nigerians if you have to “seize every opportunity thrown at you” then do it in your country, no crime in selflessness

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by QuoteJustOnce: 12:51pm On Nov 18, 2022
Agbaje lives and works in the posh and secure Victoria Island/Ikoyi axis of Lagos State and owns a fleet of luxury cars estimated to be no less than $1 million in value, including a Mercedes Benz Maybach S560 valued at $200,000 (approximately N140 million at N700/$1).

Give that to the average Nigerian youth and see if they will not rot in Nigeria.
Nonsense and ingredients.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Dare1971(m): 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2022
It's called modern day slavery

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pierocash:
.People like you are the reasons young Nigerians don't think they can make it in Nigeria.

What Agbaje pointed out is nothing but the truth. How will a bank executive resign her position and relocated to become a health care assistant and all you could do is to justify it by saying she earns a decent pay. What kind of life is she living there and how much does she earns? You are talking of fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram, those people running away from Nigeria are not even in there region of bandits and Boko Haram,these are Southerners using Boko Haram as the excuse to japa only to end up with lower standard of living,while those who are directly affected are not even considering japa as an option.

People tend to use exchange rate to measure wealth,but you are wrong. Exchange rate is not and indices to measure standard of living. You measure standard of living using what is called PPP(Purchasing price/power parity). That is what is used to determine standard of living not exchange rate. There are people in Nigeria here who have never touched dollar or pounds in their life ,but have higher standard of living that so many of their counter parts abroad.

Quit this your japa mentality and build yourself here,there is honey and gold in Nigeria here. You can't convince someone like me to japa,I will rather go there to invest and return home just to spread my business nothing more.

I stand with Agbaje.

there's a thin line btw nationalism and stupidity, let me ask u a question if u were told to go t France, by an employer, a work that guarantees leave to remain after 4yrs will u go or will u not?

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by AntiTerrorist: 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pierocash:

I stand with Agbaje.
Truth be told, Agbaje is not alone in this warped thinking that the average Nigerian, who has a reputation for being longsuffering and sanguine, endured excruciating and sometimes humiliating visa application processes, saved up millions, and left their families and friends behind to journey to a faraway land on a whim.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Proudlyngwa(m): 12:53pm On Nov 18, 2022
Stop funding university education.

Nigeria is training workforce for the rest of the world

FOC

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by SmartyPants(m): 12:53pm On Nov 18, 2022
You guys just dont get it.

Sooner or later they will ban you all from their coutries.

Where will you japa to? The atlantic ocean??

When we have no other options, we will have no choice but to stand and fight. So let's take that stand now!

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Gerrard59(m): 12:53pm On Nov 18, 2022
This is the hypocrisy I am talking about. SEGUN AGBAJE studied in the US and WORKED THERE before relocating to Nigeria. Segun Agbaje is a dual citizen, if you like follow him.

He is a bloody hypocrite! He has not condemned the senseless killing of farmers in the country but opens his mouth waaaa to chant opportunities!

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Benrosaria(m): 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2022
Heathrow44:

there's a thin line btw nationalism and stupidity, let me ask u a question if u were told to go t France, by an employer, a work that guarantees leave to remain after 4yrs will u go or will u not?

But he isn’t complaining and begging you for a meal

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by SmartyPants(m): 12:55pm On Nov 18, 2022
Gerrard59:
This is the hypocrisy I am talking about. SEGUN AGBAJE studied in the US and WORKED THERE before relocating to Nigeria. Segun Agbaje is a dual citizen, if you like follow him.

He is a bloody hypocrite! He has not condemned the senseless killing of farmers in the country but opens his mouth waaaa to chant opportunities!

That's the opposite of hypocrisy. Hypocrisy would have beeen him staying back to build a career in the US which was very easy at that time.

When we talk of japa, we aren't talking about people who go to study and come back to build their country!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by favour32(m): 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2022
If the elites children fit stay Nigeria fully, dey suffer all risks and stress wey others dey suffer, nai be say, wetin dem advise, we go consider am.

4 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 18, 2022
As you're standing with Agbaje, hope your car is bullet proof?
Pierocash:

I stand with Agbaje.

5 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 18, 2022
Benrosaria:

But he isn’t complaining and begging you for a meal

people migrate for many reasons, this is their choice, he's talking this way cos he's rich, let d tables turn, and see if he would be talking inthis same manner

5 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Nteogwuija(m): 12:59pm On Nov 18, 2022
SmartyPants:
You guys just dont get it.

Sooner or later they will ban you all from their coutries.

Where will you japa to? The atlantic ocean??

When we have no other options, we will have no choice but to stand and fight. So let's take that stand now!

LoL, who's taking that stand with you?

It would take a united and resolute force to achieve that, and we all know it's impossible in Nigeria.

It's the same country that some persons have vowed that a certain section of the country would never be president. It's same country where the president called a section of the country inconsequential.

The tribalism in this country won't allow us progress, and the elites and politicians have mastered the art of polarizing this country along tribal lines.

People are reading between lines and are in great despair. Those who have the funds would seek alternative abodes, those who don't, resign to their fates.

7 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Pakman: 12:59pm On Nov 18, 2022
He should shut the f**k up. A nation whose wealth is the hands of 1% percent. What enabling environment or infrastructure works in Nigeria at the moment? Common stable electricity is hard to provide.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Ventura1: 12:59pm On Nov 18, 2022
We often get it wrong using this computation, it reeks of inferiority complex. The life you can live with N200K here in Nigeria, you will struggle spending $1000 in US.

For a bank that pays less than N200,000 for an entry level position, which is a beggarly $285 at N700/$1 unofficial exchange rate,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by bepositive11: 12:59pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pierocash:

I stand with Agbaje.

Let's wait and see where Nigeria will be in 5 years time. Nigeria just keeps getting worse.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Panasonic101: 1:01pm On Nov 18, 2022
This BENZ no be mama put rice 200# ooo. Lol chaii
Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by viodemus: 1:02pm On Nov 18, 2022
I remember the first time wey I turn gentleman to go collect visa for embassy; like say person been cun block my way dey tell me all this one, I for gie am headbutt cun beat am mercilessly. Me wey be say I dun tire for life that time. Useless universities wey I go spend years for, na im you wan preach me epistle.

A banker in Nigeria, not the top 10 from the cbn governor is not more relaxed and not more successful than a nurse in a developed country. Even a migrant cleaner in a developed country has more general knowledge than many professors that only went to Nigerian universities.

last last, he has a point sha, but I say if you fit jakpa, but try come back cun help Nigeria grow.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Panda7(m): 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2022
Gtb and corruption, i will soon go and close my account with them. i have never benefited a kobo since i started banking with them. always with tension even your money can disappear and you can't even prove it. you too cannot apply for loan with them and get it and i wonder why banking with them instead of doing money contribution.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by BabaO2: 1:04pm On Nov 18, 2022
bobman22:

https://www.businesstimesng.com/japa-nigerian-elites-disconnect-from-reality-the-segun-agbaje-example/
This guy is fraud.
He's one of those that killed the morale of the erstwhile enviable profession, If the duo of late Aderinokun and Fola adeola had treated him the way he's presently treating his staff, he can't survive Nigeria. The bulk of the people running away are from the GTB he oversees just because of frustrations in the bank. No promotions for over decades, treating university graduates as slaves...., it is most disappointing and diseartning that the most respected Pastor Adeboye could be misled to invite this despicale hypocrite to speak at that exalted occassion. very proud humanbeing.

6 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by sao09: 1:04pm On Nov 18, 2022
Well Said by Segun Agbaje but they are the very fact young people leave this country Nigeria, the so-called upper class don't support sustainable businesses.
Nobody should tell another person how to live, how many bankers has Segun sacked that can leave in peace after leaving the system it's really not easy but the truth a lot of people that have left Nigeria have leverage on something that is not back at home which will pay better surely in the future.

Like someone asked let Agbaje tell us where his children are schooling? the English he is speaking does it sound like someone that attended OAU?

Did he start from scratch up like most entry level bankers now? At a time in the bank people worked in peace and were promoted and there was career progression but now those that have been promoted in the past have saturated the top and created so many levels below to keep people under for over 10years no progression, but you see a lot of guys that left Nigeria the focused Onces a been favoured so Segun is speaking from what he thinks he knows, there is a lot he doesn't know.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by noblemuk: 1:05pm On Nov 18, 2022
He is not delusional. It's the utmost truth, however what he sees is not for the faint hearted, it is for those who see the opportunities and are willing to go for it againt all odds, you will become immensely successful.

If you can't see the opportunities abound in Nigeria and you have the opportunity to travel...it is wise to Japa before your life becomes miserable.

bobman22:

https://www.businesstimesng.com/japa-nigerian-elites-disconnect-from-reality-the-segun-agbaje-example/
Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by SmartyPants(m): 1:05pm On Nov 18, 2022
Nteogwuija:

LoL, who's taking that stand with you.

It's obviously not for everyone. Those of us who are willing and able will do it.
Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Reference(m): 1:06pm On Nov 18, 2022
Hey, everyone is right here.

He should be motivating young people to be self contained success stories. It is a battle and the more people win it the better for everyone in society.

But he should also understand that man is not created equally and some will only pull their weight by association. They need a functional society to function and rather than risk them dissolving completely into anti social living it is better to 'let them go'.

It is up to the rest of us to decide if we are willing accomplices in the slide towards a completely failed state like Honduras or Guatemala that have completely lost their planetary like social gravitational pull and everyone just wants 'to get the hell out' ... including those who fuel the flames of destruction.

He should temper motivational mercy with the justice of reality.

4 Likes

Re: Japa: Nigerian Elite’s Disconnect From Reality – The Segun Agbaje Example by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 18, 2022
Yes, these psychopaths are definitely disconnected from reality, look at how some of them treat their staff. Ask if any of their children school here or even spend up to 3 months in the country.

Believe them at your own peril, they only see the masses as vehicles for exploitation. His bank has one of the worst customer care service to date.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) / Photos From Fatal Accident Close To UNIZIK In Awka Area Of Anambra State / Nigerian Lady Reportedly Denied Australian Visa Due To Homophobic Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.