Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD (20757 Views)

661 New COVID-19 Cases Reported, 137 Discharged, 19 Deaths ,June 20 -2523 Tested / More Africans Are Coming To Nigeria For Surgeries – UCH CMD / UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Treadway: 10:38am On Nov 22, 2022
sonnie10:

Any medical doctor that has license to practice in the US does not earn less than $250k.
still wrong, my guy. Ok. Just read this to the end. You'll see the average salaries for diff classes of doctors. Note that the average means some will earn lower and some will earn higher based on experience, qualifications etc. To say that no licensed doc earns less than 250k is wrong. Just read to the end, and you'll see what I'm trying to tell you.

https://www.learnhowtobecome.org/doctor/

2 Likes

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by treatise: 10:42am On Nov 22, 2022
doggedfighter:
But Ngige said it's not a problem that they can leave.

The president, ministers and all politicians and their families access health care abroad so feels to hell with our hospitals and medical professionals.

The other day Osibanjo had a minor surgery in a hospital here. It was breaking news for weeks. What a shame !!

The few medical professionals remaining mostly the elderly ones are waiting for 2023

elections to know who wins and then take their bags and leave.

It's a difficult situation !

Ngige has not been normal since he took the oath at Okija shrine.
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by sonnie10: 10:43am On Nov 22, 2022
CodeTemplar:
Liar.

Which one is liar again? I was even being generous with figures. Now let me shock you.
Most private vehicles have average tank capacity of 50L , which is 13 gallons.
A gallon of gas (petrol) is about $3.
13 x 3 = $39.
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by sonnie10: 10:57am On Nov 22, 2022
Treadway:
still wrong, my guy. Ok. Just read this to the end. You'll see the average salaries for diff classes of doctors. Note that the average means some will earn lower and some will earn higher based on experience, qualifications etc. To say that no licensed doc earns less than 250k is wrong. Just read to the end, and you'll see what I'm trying to tell you.

https://www.learnhowtobecome.org/doctor/
Leave those media salary post. The reality on ground is that differential and oncall pay alone could be more than the actual salary.
Where is the lie going by what you just posted. If Family medicine which is the least paid doctor earn like you said, about $200k , with additional one year specialty in pediatrics or gerontology they could easily double that amount. That is what most do.
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by sonnie10: 11:10am On Nov 22, 2022
Kirchoffs:
You will fall sick one day and there will be no medical personnel that will attend to you, that's when you'll realise your f00lishness. My friend who is a radiographer like moved to the UK 2months, he has gotten a job and he's living fine. Dude was earning nothing less than 350k here in Naija .

You are a very dumb f00l .
You are very correct. A radiographer with certification in MRI or interventional procedure could earn about $100k a year in the US.
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 22, 2022
Neduzze5:
Sad

Unfortunately, that's what you get with this kind of leadership. Most people don't mind going abroad to start schooling afresh just to experience a working environment.

It's going to get worse if Peter Obi doesn't come into power next year.

However, we are pretty sure that President Peter Obi will be sworn in as Nigeria's first ever serious President come May 2023.

Unless Peter Obi can fund salary increases from raising fees in goverment hospitals, there is nothing he too can do

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Treadway: 11:23am On Nov 22, 2022
sonnie10:

Leave those media salary post. The reality on ground is that differential and oncall pay alone could be more than the actual salary.
Where is the lie going by what you just posted. If Family medicine which is the least paid doctor earn like you said, about $200k , with additional one year specialty in pediatrics or gerontology they could easily double that amount. That is what most do.
ok I don hear you.
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by MasterofNL: 11:29am On Nov 22, 2022
madridguy:
Many of them are facing the reality now but shame won't allow them to come back to Nigeria.

This is true
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by IbeOkehie: 11:36am On Nov 22, 2022
Falseprofet2:

You must be a clown

Solve the issues at the root rather than shortcut
Your governors n president can travel at will but doctors should have their license seized

Ummm, there's nothing funny about his post.
Federal University students in Nigeria are heavily subsidized by federal government. Government PAYS for their degree with an expectation they will stay in Nigeria and work.

This is the actual root of the problem...all subsidies provided by government including fuel, forex, University and electricity, end up creating SCARCITY of the product, in this case doctors and nurses. It happens ALL the time because people see how easy it is to subvert the system.

ALL subsidies should be scrapped except for elementary and JSS education. In particular ALL Federal Universities should be privatized OR handed over to State Governments.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by noisy45(m): 11:48am On Nov 22, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:
My QUESTION and it's simple!
Hope the medical consultants and seniors who keep demeaning their juniors in training by way of threats and query letters also sustained the momentum in SAUDI and the UK?

Don't get there now and become a Lizard when you were a crocodile few hours before you left Nigeria. Don't suddenly go timid.
Please issue the WHITE DOCTORS and medical students threat too just like you did few hours before boarding. Don't be a COWARD!

They will never try such over there
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by StagethemTVee: 11:59am On Nov 22, 2022
The average medical doctor salary in the USA is $160,000 per year or $82.05 per hour. Entry level positions start at $39,000 per year while most experienced workers make up to $229,626 per year. Straight from Google.
sonnie10:
Fun fact. No medical doctor in the US makes less than $250k ( about #200M) a year.
A ji gi afufu anyi isi.

3 Likes

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by MT: 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2022
sonnie10:

Oga, I am telling from first hand experience, Nigeria school hard pass US school. I am a product of both.
The standard they are talking about in that article is about structure . Theirs is well structured and every detail must be followed. The only reason a new Nigerian immigrant would find it difficult is because of the regulatory aspect , ethics, culture, governing bodies, coding, insurance, EMR and other things that are different from Nigeria

I am done having this exchange. But note that, you are not the only person that has experienced both sides.

We are talking about foreign medical students failing exam, you are are talking about regulatory body, culture et al. Also note that the exams I mentioned in the last piece, you didnt acknowledge it in any of your submission.

I wish you luck, you win.

2 Likes

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Kirchoffs: 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2022
sonnie10:

You are very correct. A radiographer with certification in MRI or interventional procedure could earn about $100k a year in the US.
No be to dey chop Agbado and cassava upandan
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Gipre(m): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2022
If care is not taken, the problem would hit Nigeria and it will be so bad for Nigerians.

Look at how UK and Canada are suffering despite their huge strategic brain drain of health workers from third world countries

The leaders are not bothered becos when they have little headache, they rush abroad for treatment. Who are those that will treat them over there, it is still the same Nigerian Medical Practitioners.

Right now, Most people are no longer studying Medical Courses anymore like years ago. Especially now that their salaries are nothing to write home about.

The younger generation are all moving to Tech. Tech is now where the money is. Some young doctors have even stopped practicing and have gone into TECH.

What now happens in the next 5 to 10 years when those in the profession get tired and all retire?

One of the ways to solve this problem is to make Medical profession ATTRACTIVE.

There should make studying core Professional Medical Courses like Medicine, Nursing, Med Lab, Radiography etc all TUTION FREE.

And when I say Core Medical Course, am not talking about courses like Biochem, Microbiology and their neighboring sisters ooo. No!!!

The Core Professional Medical Cores should be TUTION FREE.

This would encourage people to apply study these courses. This was what the government did back in the 1980's in the Education sector.

Back then, they made Education courses in the University TUTION FREE because there was a massive shortage of teachers in Nigeria then.

Most teachers in Government schools today who studied back in the 1980's will tell you they got their Education degrees at No Cost. It was a strategy and it worked. They were even paying them monthly stipend as students.

Same with UK.

A Nigerian Nurse in her 60's today said she studied Nursing in UK back in the 70's or 80's at no cost. According to her, the UK government made Nursing Education TUITION FREE to attract people into the profession because of the massive shortage of nurses then. It was a strategy and it worked for them.

But here in Nigeria, the reverse is the case.

The school fees in most Nursing Schools in Nigeria is way above the average man's Financial capacity.

I recently got admitted into a Govt School of Nursing in Ogun State. Classes started last month. The school fees alone is close to 300K per year. No Accommodation for Males student. So male students have to rent house outside school which is expensive. A good house is close to 150K and above.

This is minus the little money they task you while in school. Pay 80K for this. Pay for that.

I had to drop out two weeks ago.

That's is the situation we find ourselves.

If nothing is done, I fear for the lives of people in Nigeria.

That's why Quacks in the name of "nurse Eliza" av filled everywhere.

It is well.

The government should also think of RETENTION.

Workers can only be Retained with GOOD MONEY.

If some Doctor should tell you how much they collects as salary, most of you will cry. This is after studying for 7 good years plus internship and all. This kills the motivation and makes them seek for greener pastures.

If your children are always leaving your house to go and watch TV in your neighbors house everyday and you don't like it. How do you stop it? Buy that same TV and put in your house. Problem solved.

My own prayer is may you never fall sick or have a chronic health problem in the future where saving your life by non-exitent and unmotivated health workers is the only option you've got.

3 Likes

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by LiveWithIt: 12:46pm On Nov 22, 2022
effort1:
Livewithit, doctors are leaving fast. grin

I hope Tinubu will carry your family members along for treatment abroad when they fall sick. grin

Òpònú Ayíràdà cheesy
e pain am, tongue tongue with or without tinubu my family travel in and out of the country kiss
So double your hustle and stop the envy, tinubu will rule us all cheesy
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Yankee101: 1:10pm On Nov 22, 2022
Expand medical schools
Sign labor export contracts to make revenue from
Admit more people to medical programmes
Create a foreign labor export ministry
Create policies to retain by better salaries
Improve graduation rates and quality
Export labor sustainably

You can’t fight it so make the best out of it
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by sonnie10: 1:14pm On Nov 22, 2022
MT:

I am done having this exchange. But note that, you are not the only person that has experienced both sides.

We are talking about foreign medical students failing exam, you are are talking about regulatory body, culture et al. Also note that the exams I mentioned in the last piece, you didnt acknowledge it in any of your submission.

I wish you luck, you win.

Culture and knowledge of regulatory body is part of medical exams at different levels. For instance there are questions on HIPPA, PHI, ICD 10 , OSHA standard, patient bill of rights mandatory reporting, jurisprudence, controlled substance, elder Justice, disability act. etc and common American culture like eyes contact,, voice tone and pitch, body language which ordinarily, are simple cultural aspect that new immigrants wouldn’t even know. That is why they fail the exam, those things are not part of the medical school curriculum in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by onyxo76(m): 1:23pm On Nov 22, 2022
casualobserver:
There should be a method of withholding the license of doctors and health workers trained in Nigeria at govt expense for at least 10years.
so how do you practise as a physician of you don't have a license for 10 yrs, it means you cannot work as a doctor till you get the license.

2 Likes

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by blowjohn(m): 1:31pm On Nov 22, 2022
Sma thing.
Even at national hospital its same. Everday someone is resigning

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by effort1: 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2022
LiveWithIt:
e pain am, tongue tongue with or without tinubu my family travel in and out of the country kiss
So double your hustle and stop the envy, tinubu will rule us all cheesy

By the time there is no doctor to treat your family and Tinubu is free to travel abroad with ease, we will see who it will pain. grin

2 Likes

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by LiveWithIt: 1:38pm On Nov 22, 2022
effort1:

By the time there is no doctor to treat your family and Tinubu is free to travel abroad with ease, we will see who it will pain. grin
Another pain is jealousy. God has blessed me and my family with good health it's your family who will suffer sickne :Dss
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by sonnie10: 1:40pm On Nov 22, 2022
StagethemTVee:
The average medical doctor salary in the USA is $160,000 per year or $82.05 per hour. Entry level positions start at $39,000 per year while most experienced workers make up to $229,626 per year. Straight from Google.
Even LVN or LPN which is just one year college education after high school, some make up to $80 -100k in a year.
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Firstcitizen: 1:45pm On Nov 22, 2022
The Chief Medical Director of University College Hospital, Ibadan, Professor Jesse Otegbayo is also planning to JAPA grin

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by effort1: 1:49pm On Nov 22, 2022
LiveWithIt:

Another pain is jealousy. God has blessed me and my family with good health it's your family who will suffer sickne :Dss

Lolz. Naira changed from 260 to 760 per dollar and all your cursed brain can see is jealousy? grin

Wọ́n ti s'épè fún e. grin

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by casualobserver: 2:04pm On Nov 22, 2022
onyxo76:

so how do you practise as a physician of you don't have a license for 10 yrs, it means you cannot work as a doctor till you get the license.

Does one have to spell everything out to you people?

If your education was paid for by the govt, Your license is recorded and held with the NMA for 10 yrs after graduation. During that period any employer has to validate you are a licensed doctor with the NMA before employment. The NMA rejects enquiries from foreign bodies until the 10 yr period has expired. Eventually foreign agencies will know that if you don’t have your certificate or license, they can’t employ you.

2 Likes

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by LiveWithIt: 2:09pm On Nov 22, 2022
effort1:

Lolz. Naira changed from 260 to 760 per dollar and all your cursed brain can see is jealousy? grin

Wọ́n ti s'épè fún e. grin
Hahahah your brain is on reverse. Working opposite direction to a normal brain, nothing can redeem you, curse has now been your natural and your brain full of shit. I pity those around you, and those who depend on you, and that's if you're responsible enough to have ppl depend on you
Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by OdefaGirl(f): 2:14pm On Nov 22, 2022
casualobserver:

Did govt train doctors to staff hospitals abroad?

Didn't they pay for their training or are they being trained here free?

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 22, 2022
Speaking as a medico who has worked in both government and private sector....the exodus is going to continue. (I know one senior doctor who japa to Saudi...in six years he and his family went from renters to houseowners...plus he has bettered himself as a doctor knowledgewise.).

Obviously salaries have to go up. It is where they will get the money that is the problem. Do we raise fees in government hospitals, or remove things like subsidies on petrol to pay the workers? And where is money for improving facilities going to come from?

Personally, even if Obi wins, like most people here seem to be hoping...things won't improve. The health budget has to be increased tenfold before we can see benefit.

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 22, 2022
OdefaGirl:

Didn't they pay for their training or are they being trained here free?

We pay for our training partially...a large amount of our training is paid for by government. Otherwise, fees in government run schools would be like Babcock and Afe Babalola...over a million naira per session...for people reading medicine. (It is worse abroad. Medical school fees in the US and UK run into the thousands of dollars.).

1 Like

Re: 661 Clinical Staff Resigned, Relocated Abroad This Year – UCH CMD by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 22, 2022
Gipre:
If care is not taken, the problem would hit Nigeria and it will be so bad for Nigerians.

Look at how UK and Canada are suffering despite their huge strategic brain drain of health workers from third world countries

The leaders are not bothered becos when they have little headache, they rush abroad for treatment. Who are those that will treat them over there, it is still the same Nigerian Medical Practitioners.

Right now, Most people are no longer studying Medical Courses anymore like years ago. Especially now that their salaries are nothing to write home about.

The younger generation are all moving to Tech. Tech is now where the money is. Some young doctors have even stopped practicing and have gone into TECH.

What now happens in the next 5 to 10 years when those in the profession get tired and all retire?

One of the ways to solve this problem is to make Medical profession ATTRACTIVE.

There should make studying core Professional Medical Courses like Medicine, Nursing, Med Lab, Radiography etc all TUTION FREE.

And when I say Core Medical Course, am not talking about courses like Biochem, Microbiology and their neighboring sisters ooo. No!!!

The Core Professional Medical Cores should be TUTION FREE.

This would encourage people to apply study these courses. This was what the government did back in the 1980's in the Education sector.

Back then, they made Education courses in the University TUTION FREE because there was a massive shortage of teachers in Nigeria then.

Most teachers in Government schools today who studied back in the 1980's will tell you they got their Education degrees at No Cost. It was a strategy and it worked. They were even paying them monthly stipend as students.

Same with UK.

A Nigerian Nurse in her 60's today said she studied Nursing in UK back in the 70's or 80's at no cost. According to her, the UK government made Nursing Education TUITION FREE to attract people into the profession because of the massive shortage of nurses then. It was a strategy and it worked for them.

But here in Nigeria, the reverse is the case.

The school fees in most Nursing Schools in Nigeria is way above the average man's Financial capacity.

I recently got admitted into a Govt School of Nursing in Ogun State. Classes started last month. The school fees alone is close to 300K per year. No Accommodation for Males student. So male students have to rent house outside school which is expensive. A good house is close to 150K and above.

This is minus the little money they task you while in school. Pay 80K for this. Pay for that.

I had to drop out two weeks ago.

That's is the situation we find ourselves.

If nothing is done, I fear for the lives of people in Nigeria.

That's why Quacks in the name of "nurse Eliza" av filled everywhere.

It is well.

The government should also think of RETENTION.

Workers can only be Retained with GOOD MONEY.

If some Doctor should tell you how much they collects as salary, most of you will cry. This is after studying for 7 good years plus internship and all. This kills the motivation and makes them seek for greener pastures.

If your children are always leaving your house to go and watch TV in your neighbors house everyday and you don't like it. How do you stop it? Buy that same TV and put in your house. Problem solved.

My own prayer is may you never fall sick or have a chronic health problem in the future where saving your life by non-exitent and unmotivated health workers is the only option you've got.

Free education at the end, always has to be paid for...

The reason why we cannot sustain free education here is because we don't earn enough revenue...from taxes and oil...to sustain it.

P.S UK no longer does free education for anyone...since the 1990's fees have gone up. It now costs between 6000-12000 pounds to school in the UK.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

As & As Genotype Marriage / Henry Uche Ukah, A Nigerian Pharmacist, Interviewed By Russian TV Station / 7 Health Mistakes You've Made Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.