Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? (9120 Views)

The Impact Of Benny Hinn’s Rejection Of The Prosperity Gospel In Africa / Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) / Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by duality(m): 12:12pm On Nov 27, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam?

Some of the richest, most respected and most followed church leaders in the world, who have been preaching the so-called 'prosperity' gospel passionately and resolutely for decades have come out in recent times to denounce the gospel as a scam.

First it was Benny Hinn who openly came out to denounce the gospel and apologized for misleading many with it for such a long time. He said he was misled himself by some preachers of the gospel, but he has come to realize that it's a gospel which grieves the Holy Spirit because it's not of God but of the devil.

He gave an instances instances of people coming to him and telling him that it didn't work for them as he had said and he'd be feeling guilty because he was the one that sold that scam to them.
He said he didn't care what anyone made of his repentance and if they stopped inviting him to preach in their churches as a result because he was only concerned about doing what's right in God's sight.

Now it is Creflo Dollar who came out earlier this year to denounce the same doctrine and asked anyone with his tapes he preached on that doctrine to thrash it because it was not of God.

His was even more shocking because his preaching of the 'prosperity gospel' was much more aggressive and deeply rooted than that of Benny Hinn, so for such a man who was so sure of himself about that doctrine that he would preach it for several decades unashamedly, and even go to the extent of deriding and mocking those who preached against such a doctrine, to now damn the consequences ans say he was wrong all along was not something many saw coming.

Now it's not just Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar that have thrashed the gospel of 'properity', because there are several others who have also come out to denounce it over the years but the two of them appear to be the pick of the bunch.

So the question is, are they right that the prosperity gospel is a scam?

Before you answer the question, please first bear in mind that these two are arguably the richest church leaders with the highest following in the world, men who have inspired more Christians worldwide than most, so they're not just local champions, so that the lame excuse of being poor and having a poverty mentality so not qualified to speak on this subject is not applicable, because these men have tried and tasted of it for decades, but they came to the conclusion that the 'prosperity' gospel was a scam.

So do you think they're right?

God bless.

You are misinterpreting them and passing wrong information.

Now go back to their videos and state what they said themselves, without analyzing it your own way.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by MrPresident1: 12:37pm On Nov 27, 2022
The prosperity doctrine is not a scam, but it is akin to leaving the substance and chasing shadows. Prosperity comes, Willy nilly, to the child of God, it is God's pleasure to make us prosper in all we do, it comes naturally.

It does not deserve a doctrine

2 Likes

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by CaptainAyub: 12:58pm On Nov 27, 2022
Yes
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by emerged01(m): 12:58pm On Nov 27, 2022
kerry57:
Leave it to Baba God to judge. I use my brain and the discerning of the spirit in church matters whenever I am to take a decision and leave judgement to God.

This have always been my guide since my knowledge of good and bad as a human.
In the bible when Jesus and apostles came across familiar spirits they rebuked them instantly. If your discerning spirit is alive why cant you speaking against what you believe is wrong? When you believe things are not right as a Christian you stand against it,speak against it. Standing against doesnt you are judging.
As a Christians,when you are following the lead of a pastor,be watchful because sometimes he can get caught. It is your duty to help him recover by telling him the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by sweetman2022: 1:03pm On Nov 27, 2022
As long as people still see their pastors as demi God, prosperity gospel won't go away anytime soon. Imagine the church I do attend invites a man of God, he came and said some set of people wants to get blessed by bringing 10k to God. People came out, he later reduces it to 5k. Another set came out till he got to 1k so that a lot of people will participate. I thought deep and asked why can't this people reason that how will God need their 10k before he could bless them. We are talking about God oo. I just shake my head, do my worship and go to my house.

3 Likes

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Tobechuckwu(m): 1:05pm On Nov 27, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

Some of the richest, most respected and most followed church leaders in the world, who have been preaching the so-called 'prosperity' gospel passionately and resolutely for decades have come out in recent times to denounce the gospel as a scam.

First it was Benny Hinn who openly came out to denounce the gospel and apologized for misleading many with it for such a long time. He said he was misled himself by some preachers of the gospel, but he has come to realize that it's a gospel which grieves the Holy Spirit because it's not of God but of the devil.

He gave an instances instances of people coming to him and telling him that it didn't work for them as he had said and he'd be feeling guilty because he was the one that sold that scam to them.
He said he didn't care what anyone made of his repentance and if they stopped inviting him to preach in their churches as a result because he was only concerned about doing what's right in God's sight.

Now it is Creflo Dollar who came out earlier this year to denounce the same doctrine and asked anyone with his tapes he preached on that doctrine to thrash it because it was not of God.

His was even more shocking because his preaching of the 'prosperity gospel' was much more aggressive and deeply rooted than that of Benny Hinn, so for such a man who was so sure of himself about that doctrine that he would preach it for several decades unashamedly, and even go to the extent of deriding and mocking those who preached against such a doctrine, to now damn the consequences ans say he was wrong all along was not something many saw coming.

Now it's not just Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar that have thrashed the gospel of 'properity', because there are several others who have also come out to denounce it over the years but the two of them appear to be the pick of the bunch.

Before you answer the question, please first bear in mind that these two are arguably the richest church leaders with the highest following in the world, men who have inspired more Christians worldwide than most, so they're not just local champions, so that the lame excuse of being poor and having a poverty mentality so not qualified to speak on this subject is not applicable, because these men have tried and tasted of it for decades, but they came to the conclusion that the 'prosperity' gospel was a scam.

God bless.

I have known you for a while nd I've also discover that u do turn the Bible to suit ur believe nd ur church doctrine .

The gospel is d gospel, the same way Jesus paid the price for ur sins, he paid also for ur health, he paid also for ur poverty nd ur peace. Jesus paid for everything.

That Jesus paid for ur poverty that through His grace u might become rich doesn't mean that there's no way to do.

The basic of all prosperity scripture is in Gen 8 vs 21... While d earth remain seedtime nd harvest shall not cease , d same way day nd night don't cease.

Giving doesn't just ensure receiving, it is ur faith u have to put to work for u to be able to receive.
Hebrew 11 vs 6 tells us that without faith it is impossible to please God, in other words it is impossible to receive anything from God even if u sow ur seed.

James 1 vs 6 says he that waver or doubt , that person cannot receive anything from God.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by FireUpNow(m): 1:11pm On Nov 27, 2022
My opinion is that follow the example of Jesus Christ as contained in the gospel books of the bible and imitate Christ not what men tell you. The same men who propagate the prosperity gospel end up boasting about the material things they have acquired such as private jets, exotic cars, real estates, the huge amount of money they have In their bank accounts. I just laugh and say this is not how it should be. We have heard several stories of men and women who have stolen from people and companies all in the name of paying tithes and sowing seeds of prosperity but ended up in prison. So just be wise is my advice. Shalom!

3 Likes

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by butterfly777(m): 1:31pm On Nov 27, 2022
One if the great qualities of Christianity I that it gives room for questions to be asked. Unlike some other religion that is all about forced compliance.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Timfreds(m): 1:32pm On Nov 27, 2022
The"prosperity gospel" is a big scam. It's one of the problem of the church in Africa. The same is in Brazil, etc. In Nigeria you have the richest pastors and the poorest people.
They capitalize on the poverty of the people, thereby exploiting them.
When you read international analysis of Nigeria christianity, you will see it clearly. A very big problem.

1 Like

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Evidenx(m): 1:41pm On Nov 27, 2022
Prosperity message is not only a scam but a message from the pit of hell. All who follow such message and those preaching it are going to hell fire.

I speak mysteries beyond your human reasoning.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by winterfell007(m): 2:20pm On Nov 27, 2022
Realists:

It's a fact that the real Christianity died when Jesus son of Mary left earth, of all the books in the Bible none was written by the disciples but the unknown authors claimed " according to Peter or Paul" which means in second person, even a Biography is written better than a Bible for it's direct not a hearsay. This the reason why the Holy Quran is supreme and why Islam is the fastest growing religion on earth for it has passed all the test of time in it's originality from Almighty Allah. Kindly google more about the miracle of Quran, I bet you will become a Muslim after that, for the truth is too glaring.
Now I have confirmed you're a Muslim from the North. Very easy now to pinpoint anti-obi folks. And for the record, Islam is not the fastest growing religion, in fact, islamophobia is arguably the fastest growing feeling in the world. Even your fellow Muslims are beginning to detest it, ask Iranians and Afghanistan men and women who are trapped in the suppressive system.

1 Like

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by judedwriter(m): 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2022
Prosperity gospel cannot take you to heaven, that's why it's dangerous.

Yes, it good to prosper on earth. We need money to progress but not to the detriment of our eternal soul.

Without holiness, no one will see God.

1 Like

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by SIMONEKPA7: 2:54pm On Nov 27, 2022
Realists:

It's a fact that the real Christianity died when Jesus son of Mary left earth, of all the books in the Bible none was written by the disciples but the unknown authors claimed " according to Peter or Paul" which means in second person, even a Biography is written better than a Bible for it's direct not a hearsay. This the reason why the Holy Quran is supreme and why Islam is the fastest growing religion on earth for it has passed all the test of time in it's originality from Almighty Allah. Kindly google more about the miracle of Quran, I bet you will become a Muslim after that, for the truth is too glaring.
Quran that was copied from the bible and did little modification....FYI, Christianity existed thousands of years before Islam.
Who in his right sense takes Islam unless you want to be a student of bombing, beheading etc. Islam has caused much pains to the world. A religion that if you denounce they say it's death (apostate) . What kind of evil is that. No freedom to leave after you join
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by ogwumgbe: 3:06pm On Nov 27, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
For me it has never been in question ever since I began to walk with God closely, because I have always thought the prosperity gospel was a scam and a fraud and have been preaching against it passionately for decades up til date, so the denouncement of the gospel by Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar of recent was only a confirmation of the view I've always held.

I can remember over fifteen years ago, a friend of mine who knew well how passionately I preached against that doctrine, brought a printed donation slip of Benny Hinn ministries which contained some of the doctrines' ideas, as if to tell me that that if someone like Benny Hinn could preach such, then who am I?

Fast forward about fifteen years later, the same Benny Hinn would come out to also denounce such ideas of the doctrine as contained in that donation slip and apologized for them.

That proved that it's not about who's wealthy or well-respected or popular, but who's saying the truth.

It also proves that such church leaders are not inerrant, and they could yet be misleading many souls.

Imagine how many souls have been misled by Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar when they were preaching it for decades, considering how influential they were in the Christendom?

I wonder what my friend thinks now that the same person he looked up to had dumped the 'prosperity' doctrine he believed in.

That's why it's important to follow Christ instead of men even though they be true men of God.

God bless.

Thanks brother, it's a pure scam, and not only it but any gospel that induces people to give money with false promises is pure scam. Faith preaching is full of uncertainty, if anyone is declaring anything to anyone, he should give date and if his so called declaration doesn't work, he should return whatever money sown for such purpose

1 Like

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by plaetton: 3:53pm On Nov 27, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.
It is a scam

1 Like

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Inteltower: 4:55pm On Nov 27, 2022
Realists:

fastest growing lol stop deceiving yourself
because there are no truths written about the kingdom of God in your quaran
ur prophet promised u 7 virgins to Bleep when u die and cross over the other side, may i no the need for such stupid promises ...marriage, sex are earthly not heavenly get that into your thick skull
you are boasting of what really
who died for your sins ? answer or u shut your mouth

you raise an ordinary prophet above the son of God...Can you compare mohammed with elijah, moses or isaiah talk less of Christ

open ur heart and stop deciving urself
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Amumaigwe: 5:51pm On Nov 27, 2022
Realists:

When you condemn the killing of Sister Deborah who was burnt alive by Muslim students in sokoto, I will convert to Islam. If you can't do that, I will conclude that your Allah is a sucker of human blood and hence an idol.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by MrCuteking(m): 5:53pm On Nov 27, 2022
babzo:

Needs. Not wants. That's the big difference.

1 Tim 6: 8 tells us that if we have food and clothes we should be content.

The thing is God doesn't promise anyone their wants, just their needs.

He doesn't promise a Range Rover, Nike shoe , 10 bedroom house etc

Like Kenneth Hagin once said according to a vision he said he had.

Heaven doesn't know when we buy new cars or houses etc. They only notice when we make spiritual growth.

All those extras is on our own. And If you check very well, despite all the prosperity preaching, there is not one Country in this world or one State in any country in this world where the richest person is a Christian.

Much of the prosperity preaching is driven by greed, materialism, showing off etc.

People want to get rich so they can show off, Oppress, act as God in some people's lives etc.
The irony is that you don't need to be a Christian or go to Church to become rich. Most of the richest people in Nigeria and the world don't attend any Church nor pay tithes and offerings.

You’re such a wise man.

1 Like

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by akaahs(m): 5:58pm On Nov 27, 2022
Big scam.. That's more reason I stick with my Catholic faith to some large extent. Repentance and salvation is always the watch words
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by deebrownneymar: 6:14pm On Nov 27, 2022
jesusjnr2020:

God bless.

See question. Something that’s been very obvious to those few who aren’t gullible.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Panda7(m): 6:30pm On Nov 27, 2022
faith without work the bible says is sin
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by BRATISLAVA: 6:49pm On Nov 27, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
For me it has never been in question ever since I began to walk with God closely, because I have always thought the prosperity gospel was a scam and a fraud and have been preaching against it passionately for decades up til date, so the denouncement of the gospel by Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar of recent was only a confirmation of the view I've always held.

I can remember over fifteen years ago, a friend of mine who knew well how passionately I preached against that doctrine, brought a printed donation slip of Benny Hinn ministries which contained some of the doctrines' ideas, as if to tell me that that if someone like Benny Hinn could preach such, then who am I?

Fast forward about fifteen years later, the same Benny Hinn would come out to also denounce such ideas of the doctrine as contained in that donation slip and apologized for them.

That proved that it's not about who's wealthy or well-respected or popular, but who's saying the truth.

It also proves that such church leaders were not inerrant, and they could yet be misleading many souls.

Imagine how many souls have been misled by Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar when they were preaching it for decades, considering how influential they were in the Christendom?

I wonder what my friend thinks now that the same person he looked up to had dumped the 'prosperity' doctrine he believed in.

That's why it's important to follow Christ instead of men even though they be true men of God.

God bless.

After denouncing, did they restitute? If they didn't, they aren't really repentant.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by xproducer: 9:41pm On Nov 27, 2022
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal" - Matthew 6:19-20

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" - Mark 8:36

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." - 1 Timothy 6:10

1 Like

Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:01pm On Nov 28, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

After denouncing, did they restitute? If they didn't, they aren't really repentant.
You have a point though.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:05pm On Nov 28, 2022
Tobechuckwu:

I have known you for a while nd I've also discover that u do turn the Bible to suit ur believe nd ur church doctrine .

The gospel is d gospel, the same way Jesus paid the price for ur sins, he paid also for ur health, he paid also for ur poverty nd ur peace. Jesus paid for everything.

That Jesus paid for ur poverty that through His grace u might become rich doesn't mean that there's no way to do.

The basic of all prosperity scripture is in Gen 8 vs 21... While d earth remain seedtime nd harvest shall not cease , d same way day nd night don't cease.

Giving doesn't just ensure receiving, it is ur faith u have to put to work for u to be able to receive.
Hebrew 11 vs 6 tells us that without faith it is impossible to please God, in other words it is impossible to receive anything from God even if u sow ur seed.

James 1 vs 6 says he that waver or doubt , that person cannot receive anything from God.

For someone who could associate the antichrist/demonic gospel with Christ, the bolded makes much sense. Continue deceiving yourself if you want, but be rest assured that the truth would surely prevail at the end.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:13pm On Nov 28, 2022
duality:

You are misinterpreting them and passing wrong information.

Now go back to their videos and state what they said themselves, without analyzing it your own way.

Well, you must be the only one on this planet who thinks so.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2022
CodeTemplar:
prosperity is when something prospers. For those obsessed with money, getting more of it irrespective of what happens(killing stealing destroying) is all that matters to them. For others, getting money while your health health, soul and spirit improves without breaking Gods law is prosperity(I belong here).
Prosperity is a vague term many are forcefully trying to give singular meaning. It cannot work.
Even the bible talks about the prosperity of the wicked but clearly let's us see that it doesn't last beyond their lifetime on earth and creates destruction, loss, and death behind.
God wishes his children prosperity, growth of the spirit and renewing of soul simultaneously. The difference between ungodly prosperity and godly one is that ungodly prosperity sacrifices spirit and soul prosperity to achieve temporal or earthly prosperity.
You should remember that these are developments our conversations on this subject have preceeded, so if your mentor today denounces the gospel as these ones have done, would you still believe in it?

Btw, we are not talking about prosperity here but the so-called 'prosperity' gospel so don't confuse the two.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by jesusjnr2020(m): 12:23pm On Nov 28, 2022
MrPresident1:
The prosperity doctrine is not a scam, but it is akin to leaving the substance and chasing shadows. Prosperity comes, Willy nilly, to the child of God, it is God's pleasure to make us prosper in all we do, it comes naturally.

It does not deserve a doctrine
Hmm... More like the 'prosperity' doctrine is a scam but prosperity isn't.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by CodeTemplar: 2:45pm On Nov 28, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
You should remember that these are developments our conversations on this subject have preceeded, so if your mentor today denounces the gospel as these ones have done, would you still believe in it?

Btw, we are not talking about prosperity here but the so-called 'prosperity' gospel so don't confuse the two.
I clearly stated two types of prosperity in my post. The worldly one and godly one. As for mentor, I don't know what you are talking about.

You have a strong history assigning unfounded things to people and it seem you always need to do that to maintain your delusions. I can't remember referring to anyone as my mentor.
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2022
kerry57:
Leave it to Baba God to judge. I use my brain and the discerning of the spirit in church matters whenever I am to take a decision and leave judgement to God.

This have always been my guide since my knowledge of good and bad as a human.
But God already judged and condemned it thousands of years ago, and as He said, His Word is everlasting meaning it can never change. So since your so-called "discerning of the spirit in church matters" didn't reveal this to you, hope that at least tells you that spirit is not of God. lipsrsealed
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2022
God1000:
Men of God should start preaching salvation
The Salvation wey dem don preach una, how that don save una so far?
Re: Is The 'Prosperity' Gospel A Scam? by God1000(m): 3:49pm On Nov 28, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The Salvation wey dem don preach una, how that don save una so far?
it saved the older generation sis, abi na lie?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily, by Pastor E.A Adeboye.... / You Better Learn How To Pray / Popular Present Day Pastors U Know Found In Hell By Divine Revelation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.