Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,080 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About (50819 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by bepositive11: 2:32am On Dec 02, 2022
No1girl:
after interacting with various immigrants abroad in different countries, and living abroad myself for the past 10yrs, there have .... has lots of positives and its good to experience it (if you want to), but its not all rosy. plan & strategize.
wishing you the best.

*you can comment on the rest smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGd4AOA64TU

Life is not easy for single parents in any part of the world.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by etrange: 3:10am On Dec 02, 2022
ednut1:
Same repetitive topics and videos. Can you guys just buy a ticket and return home

Lol... the people creating these videos are new Japarians. Those that will japa tomorrow will still create videos to say the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by CoolAmbience(m): 3:44am On Dec 02, 2022
Gerrard59:

Such a person is a lawless somebody. Anyone who cannot obey simple laws should please remain in Nigeria. Isn't that the reason the country is the way she is? This pay through your nose na wetin dey burst my head. Are you getting what you pay for, yes or no? Are the trains working optimally? You dey enter gallop? You dey pay for the electricity, and it comes 24/7? Health care nko? Shey you fit drive from Point A to B without Fulani herdsmen slaughtering you like suya?

No one is saying there are no negatives. Everything has a positive and negative. But when the complaints are consistent yet those complaining continue to put their yanshes in the abroad, it gets tiring and hypocritical. These complaints are humdrum. If the abroad is too difficult, book a flight and return to Nigeria.

And people don't move from point A to B in Nigeria safely?

Na so dem dey slaughter people naim people still remain for Nigeria?

The author no say make people no come abroad o....she talk say make dem come prepared...and with manageable expectations.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by ednut1(m): 4:02am On Dec 02, 2022
etrange:

Lol... the people creating these videos are new Japarians, . Those that will japa tomorrow will still create videos to say the same thing.
sigh
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gerrard59(m): 4:06am On Dec 02, 2022
CoolAmbience:

The author no say make people no come abroad o....she talk say make dem come prepared...and with manageable expectations.

The statistics differ. Life expectancy rates in Nigeria and Canada are enough reasons to know which society is safe.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by legionISproteus: 4:08am On Dec 02, 2022
Anybody here posting against the will of fellow Nigerians to travel is POVERTY-STRICKEN, JEALOUS and most importantly A BASTAAARD

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gerrard59(m): 4:19am On Dec 02, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Oga, there is nothing wrong with what she said.

Life abroad is hard. I say this as someone who has friends and relatives abroad...including one who shared flats for several years before he got into a financial state to rent a flat to himself.

Even their bills...by Nigerian standards, the power companies are being nice to us...over there, the bills are sky high by our standards.

I am not here to discourage anyone from going abroad, but if you must...HAVE SKILLS THE COUNTRY CAN USE. I repeat...HAVE SKILLS THE COUNTRY CAN USE.

There is also nothing wrong with asking people to stay. The sector where I work, we are going to have serious staffing shortages in the next ten years, unless government wakes up...because too many of us dey japa.

Many who have relocated recently will relocate when they attain citizenship status in their new countries. When they return, they do so as expatriates. The OP should do the same and stop disturbing people on NL. After all, there are single mothers who are thriving in Nigeria.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by CoolAmbience(m): 4:22am On Dec 02, 2022
Gerrard59:

The statistics differ. Life expectancy rates in Nigeria and Canada are enough reasons to know which society is safe.

Life expectancy hinges more on development, availability of basic amenities and living standards generally..it does not necessarily mean that a society is safer.

What I mean is this, there countries with better life expectancy and at the same time more crime than others.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gerrard59(m): 4:22am On Dec 02, 2022
planetx:
They think all those countries they are running to will not soon slam the door shut on them.

I am sure you and your ilks are so pained that developed countries are accepting skilled migrants in large numbers. Apparently, your complaints are not considered. grin

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by planetx: 4:28am On Dec 02, 2022
Gerrard59:

I am sure you and your ilks are so pained that developed countries are accepting skilled migrants in large numbers. Apparently, your complaints are not considered. grin

What good is a skill you can't use to develop your home.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gerrard59(m): 4:33am On Dec 02, 2022
CoolAmbience:

Life expectancy hinges more on development, availability of basic amenities and living standards generally..it does not necessarily mean that a society is safer

None of which is available in Nigeria to the vast populace.

What I mean is this, there countries with better life expectancy and at the same time more crime than others.

They are in the minority.

https://www.worldometers.info/demographics/life-expectancy/ A society where people live longer tends to be safer than a counterpart society where people live shorter lives because one aspect of life expectancy is high crime/murder rates.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gerrard59(m): 4:35am On Dec 02, 2022
planetx:
What good is a skill you can't use to develop your home.

Immigration is as old as mankind. Maybe you should tell this to Indians, Filipinos and even Chinese who are relocating to Australia, UK, US etc. Nigerians, although the highest from Africa, constitute a small proportion of recently skilled migrants across the world.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nobody: 6:12am On Dec 02, 2022
No two people will have the same experiences.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by uuzba(m): 6:59am On Dec 02, 2022
kabukabu50:

You are wearing too much bro.

After a while you get used to the cold.

When I first arrived for a couple of years it was harsh.

Now its much better.

Earlier today it was a little cold here,about 15 C and I was out in shorts,sneakers and 1 hoodie.
Well, I guess you have stayed (too) long. I never got used to it. 15C was still my complete long sleeve and jacket weather. And I never sweated.
It means you will collapse of heat exhaustion if you come back to Nigeria.
It took me 1 year to readjust back to Nigerian weather.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by uuzba(m): 7:10am On Dec 02, 2022
salbis:
From what you put forward, they look like tip of an iceberg compared to what we face in our father's land Nigeria. So, if e no favour, just comeback home please.
The truth is that abroad is opposite of Nigeria.
Every problem you have in Nigeria, you will see and enjoy the solution abroad. (Light, fuel, good road).
Every solution you have in Nigeria, you will suffer the problem in abroad.
(Respecting elders, laughing/settlng police, supportive family, warm weather....)
You won't know all of them until you reach there

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Ugosample(m): 7:42am On Dec 02, 2022
CoolAmbience:

The country is not safe
At all

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by vickydevoka(m): 8:04am On Dec 02, 2022
No1girl:
after interacting with various immigrants abroad in different countries, and living abroad myself for the past 10yrs, there have been common challenges that immigrants face but don't like to often talk about due to shame and critics. life abroad could be your breakthrough but its good when you understand both sides of the coin. here are some struggles nigerians are facing in your dream countries (canada, usa, uk, etc);

- divorce: nigerian men like to complain about their wives growing wings once they reach abroad knowing fully well the system here is different. some women too no dey try, e be like say dey done ready the man, say once dey reach abroad, dey go show am shege. women love it here, the system empowers us. duh
i would imagine these wouldn't be an issue for a healthy couple that love and support each other.

- fake life: yes it looks good here. thinking of the dollar rate alone, there's no way your uncle abroad can convince you that he doesn't have any money, because you won't believe anyway. so your uncle will choose to live up to the expectation of looking good, taking nice pictures in the snow (on his days off from work) and dropping it hot on your socials to impress you. you love and respect that uncle, don't you? well, at least until he doesn't send dollarz home. grin

- broke af: uncle is broke. he's trying to pay off the money borrowed and spent on visa, fraudulent travel agents and expensive tickets while coming abroad. and even though he has spent 3yrs in canada, well think of the small small money he has sent so far. uncle dey try na. plus he has monthly bills to pay, like electricity, car insurance, house rent, phone bill, credit card debts, internet bills, life insurance ........ smiley

- child neglect: i'm a single mum with 2 beautiful daughters and i japa from nigeria to provide better life for my kids. yes sometimes i works 16hrs shift, and my kids have to stay at home by themselves, the eldest is 12yo and her younger sister is 9yo. i don't like leaving them at home by themselves especially because of social services but money has to be made na, i have plenty responsibilities. there is no grandma or house help to look after them here but, they will understand the sacrifice i'm making, when they grow up.

life abroad has lots of positives and its good to experience it (if you want to), but its not all rosy. plan & strategize.
wishing you the best.

*you can comment on the rest smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGd4AOA64TU
Aunty if we Japan n de lady change I leave her Asap who loose. She won't be able to work because of the kids. Both need each other like mad. One mumu woman for me side de husband leave her go back Nigeria. She couldn't bear de burden of running from school to work, she have to come back Nigeria bcus de husband refuse her giving his kids her mum
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by micxwell(m): 9:23am On Dec 02, 2022
Charisco:
Make we get there first, all of una just dey talk rubbish. Is better to suffer once and rest than to keep suffering up and down in this useless country
Nigeria is not a useless country pls but e sure say by his grace September 2023 no go meet me for here. lipsrsealed cry
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gipre(m): 9:32am On Dec 02, 2022
uuzba:

Internet abroad comes in 2 mandatory flavour.
1. Home internet
2. Mobile phone internet
-
The home internet comes from the modem
The modem is connected to the land line. The land line is connected to the home land phone.
You may not use the home land phone to call, but it's working very well and you must pay a bar fee of £20 ~ 30 each month to keep the service active.
Then pay for home internet that is running on top of the home phone line £20 ~ 40 etc for unlimited internet but with very fast speeds like 20 Mbps, 40 or 100 Mbps.
(your Nigerian phone data speed is roughly like 5-10 Mbps on a good day in Lagos. In the East 1kbps (WhatsApp dey hang for there).
That settles home phone and internet every month.

Now for mobile phone, you will typically take out a contract of 12, 18 or 24 months.
They give you latest phone free, but you must pay £20, 30, 40 per month for unlimited calling and texting (SMS). But you must use data for WhatsApp and Twitter, so add small amount on top for data plan it can be 20 GB per month. But remember that once you reach your house, you immediately switch over to your unlimited WiFi internet at home.

So basically abroad people have unlimited internet that is not favouring them. They just force themselves to be doing YouTube and video calls so they will know that at least they are using the internet for something and not wasting it.

But that useless landline phone is there chopping its own steady £30 each month for nothing. And you can't save that money or stop the service otherwise all your internet will just end like that.

£30 + £40 + £30 = £100
£100 x ~N650 = N65,000 per month for phone and internet.

Nna, me sef I go complain O.

Loved the way you broke and analysed the phenomenon down for me.
If this was a WhatsApp group, I would have given your comment a "heart".
Thanks for the Enlightenment.
I really appreciate.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Toluene33(m): 10:07am On Dec 02, 2022
uuzba:

Internet abroad comes in 2 mandatory flavour.
1. Home internet
2. Mobile phone internet
-
The modem is connected to the land line. The land line is connected to the home land phone.
You may not use the home land phone to call, but it's working very well and you must pay a bar fee of £20 ~ 30 each month to keep the service active.
Then pay for home internet that is running on top of the home phone line £20 ~ 40 etc for unlimited internet but with very fast speeds like 20 Mbps, 40 or 100 Mbps.
(your Nigerian phone data speed is roughly like 5-10 Mbps on a good day in Lagos. In the East 1kbps (WhatsApp dey hang for there).

Now for mobile phone, you will typically take out a contract of 12, 18 or 24 months.
They give you latest phone free, but you must pay £20, 30, 40 per month for unlimited calling and texting (SMS). But you must use data for WhatsApp and Twitter, so add small amount on top for data plan it can be 20 GB per month. But remember that once you reach your house, you immediately switch over to your unlimited WiFi internet at home.

So basically abroad people have unlimited internet that is not favouring them. They just force themselves to be doing YouTube and video calls so they will know that at least they are using the internet for something and not wasting it.

But that useless landline phone is there chopping its own steady £30 each month for nothing. And you can't save that money or stop the service otherwise all your internet will just end like that.

£30 + £40 + £30 = £100

This is quite an enlightenment. Thumbs up!!!

However, the fee charge for internet services is quite fair, if u ain't converting to naira in your head... Come to think of it, Here in Nigeria, to enjoy such unlimited network service for a month, it will cost u nothing less than #10k. An avg Nigerian can't boast of making 10k in day, whereas over there, £100 is just a daily income which can sort the network service bill for a month. That's the difference.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by uuzba(m): 11:32am On Dec 02, 2022
Toluene33:

However, the fee charge for internet services is quite fair, if u ain't converting to naira in your head... Come to think of it, Here in Nigeria, to enjoy such unlimited network service for a month, it will cost u nothing less than #10k. An avg Nigerian can't boast of making 10k in day, whereas over there, £100 is just a daily income which can sort the network service bill for a month. That's the difference.

The diagram is from BT phone company (The senior brother of our collapsed government NITEL phone line)
The mobile phone advert is from www.o2.co.uk. (A typical mobile phone operator in UK)
This arrangement is very similar in all western/developed nations.
Home internet with phone line and mobile phone monthly contract plans.

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nelbless(m): 11:49am On Dec 02, 2022
The problem with an average Nigerian is poverty mindset.

Most including the learned once believe traveling and earning in hard currency equals great life...Lol

Someone will sell land, for over #3m only to travel and be receiving unnecessary insults all for your skin color and crimes people like you have committed, being under payed for being a Nigerian just to mention a few, where as the money spent travelling if wisely invested would have given you a great life and you travel for pleasure and not to be tolerating being scolded " go back to your country you monkey!!" Among other slurs

Yes....I lived in Lux city, brussel and much later Austria ....and know exactly what am talking about, yes I later breaked through the very hard way, by empowering my self not by working for anyone, and wish I had done same in Nigeria, as what am doing now, 75% of my income comes from home, as a media person.

Anyways no argument, for folks who may think this is anti-japa statement, Lol, well I believe you too can finalize arrangement and come over�

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by richie240: 11:57am On Dec 02, 2022
Ehyah..... If only u know that d shame of ''having nothing to show for d decades spent abroad" won't allow them step near d airport talk less of coming back to Nigeria.

Even some of those that are in Lagos sef can't go back to d village bcoz of sapa, how much more those in obodo oyibo.
cool

Gerrard59:

Such a person is a lawless somebody. Anyone who cannot obey simple laws should please remain in Nigeria. Isn't that the reason the country is the way she is? This pay through your nose na wetin dey burst my head. Are you getting what you pay for, yes or no? Are the trains working optimally? You dey enter gallop? You dey pay for the electricity, and it comes 24/7? Health care nko? Shey you fit drive from Point A to B without Fulani herdsmen slaughtering you like suya?

No one is saying there are no negatives. Everything has a positive and negative. But when the complaints are consistent yet those complaining continue to put their yanshes in the abroad, it gets tiring and hypocritical. These complaints are humdrum. If the abroad is too difficult, book a flight and return to Nigeria.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by rickleye: 12:11pm On Dec 02, 2022
Where are you in Ontario ?
I come pay you visit /)
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by rickleye: 12:16pm On Dec 02, 2022
Toluene33:

Why do you need twisted paid landline ?
You can get MagicJack and use landline number. Don’t you guys have fiber or cable to bring in Internet to the house ?

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by CoolAmbience(m): 12:31pm On Dec 02, 2022
Ugosample:

The country is not safe
At all

Nigeria is safe...save for certain few locations with heightened insecurity.

Just like everywhere, there are safer and less safer locations.

It is completely wrong to generalize that Nigeria isn't safe. Very wrong.

No be Toke Makinwa and Demilola Adegbite personal belongings dem steal for London recently....London na Nigeria? Abi, Timaya Manager wey dem gun down for US...US na Nigeria?

Safety is relative...depends on how you see it, but I disagree on such general statement.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by dupyshoo: 9:23pm On Dec 02, 2022
I doubt people pay £20-£30 per month for landline.
I pay £30 for my landline, basic Virgin Media TV package and M350 broadband (350MBps download speed). You have to call to get discounted deals. Never sign up for deals on their website.

Regarding mobile contract, nobody forces you to get latest phone. It's a choice. You can always get sim only deal at an affordable rate.

uuzba:

Internet abroad comes in 2 mandatory flavours.
1. Home internet
2. Mobile phone internet
-
You may not use the home land phone to call, but it's working very well and you must pay a base fee of £20 ~ 30 each month to keep the service active.

£30 + £40 + £30 = £100

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Rdfactor(m): 6:47am On Dec 03, 2022
ednut1:
Same repetitive topics and videos. Can you guys just buy a ticket and return home

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by SaintUlot: 5:05pm On Dec 03, 2022
Don't let anybody deceive you not to japa o,

A friend who sold all his properties and japa to UK on a student visa with his wife and four kids, just in two years of being in the UK with student Visa, he now has two four star hotels in lekki and five duplexes in ajah and lekki areas of Lagos generating rental income for him steadily. Just in two years ooo, this is someone who borrowed money to travel after selling all his properties and he couldn't raise enough fund at the time.

If he can achieve all that just in two years, now imagine what he would have achieve in four years.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by uuzba(m): 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2022
dupyshoo:
I doubt people pay £20-£30 per month for landline.
I pay £30 for my landline, basic Virgin Media TV package and M350 broadband (350MBps download speed). You have to call to get discounted deals. Never sign up for deals on their website.

Regarding mobile contract, nobody forces you to get latest phone. It's a choice. You can always get sim only deal at an affordable rate.

I left UK 2009. So I'm just marking up prices. I know all the basic rules still apply. I do keep in touch with family there. But I'm seriouly not breaking my head over UK lifestyle in details anymore.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by AnitaofEurope: 8:23pm On Dec 03, 2022
ContinuousTortu:
nobody is talking about the "rat race" in the western world. hmm.

e no easy to japaa oooo

if you get the funds, you move.

if you no to get funds, move to morocco, cape verde or tanzania to start life

if you no get, stay nigeria, find one biz wey go dey fetch you funds, you fit dey do remote jib dey collect your $$$, nothing do you.

for every one job opportunity in abroad, there are 100 in nigeria.

So nah Nigeria no be rat race?
Hahahaha
Make una Dey deceive unaselves no go find money take japa make una Dey that useless country dey waste
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by vibrant99(m): 12:19am On Dec 04, 2022
Na this kind story dey make people do ritual, or steal all in the name of someone did it before.

this is not just false but also impossible in all aspects.

guys stop all this hype and let people grow at their own pace.

SaintUlot:
Don't let anybody deceive you not to japa o,

A friend who sold all his properties and japa to UK on a student visa with his wife and four kids, just in two years of being in the UK with student Visa, he now has two four star hotels in lekki and five duplexes in ajah and lekki areas of Lagos generating rental income for him steadily. Just in two years ooo, this is someone who borrowed money to travel after selling all his properties and he couldn't raise enough fund at the time.

If he can achieve all that just in two years, now imagine what he would have achieve in four years.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Get Your International Passport In 5 Steps / FG To Shut Third Mainland Bridge For Six Months / Nigerian Woman Racially Abused A White Man On Train Going To London (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.