Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About (50833 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Hezzyluv: 5:31pm On Dec 01, 2022
libertyfather:
Walahi, nothing u wan talk ooooo, all of us dey come

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin angry grin grin grin angry grin grin grin grin grin grin grin angry grin angry grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by onlinestaff2020: 5:36pm On Dec 01, 2022
No1girl:
after interacting with various immigrants abroad in different countries, and living abroad myself for the past 10yrs, there have been common challenges that immigrants face but don't like to often talk about due to shame and critics. life abroad could be your breakthrough but its good when you understand both sides of the coin. here are some struggles nigerians are facing in your dream countries (canada, usa, uk, etc);

- divorce: nigerian men like to complain about their wives growing wings once they reach abroad knowing fully well the system here is different. some women too no dey try, e be like say dey done ready the man, say once dey reach abroad, dey go show am shege. women love it here, the system empowers us. duh
i would imagine these wouldn't be an issue for a healthy couple that love and support each other.

- fake life: yes it looks good here. thinking of the dollar rate alone, there's no way your uncle abroad can convince you that he doesn't have any money, because you won't believe anyway. so your uncle will choose to live up to the expectation of looking good, taking nice pictures in the snow (on his days off from work) and dropping it hot on your socials to impress you. you love and respect that uncle, don't you? well, at least until he doesn't send dollarz home. grin

- broke af: uncle is broke. he's trying to pay off the money borrowed and spent on visa, fraudulent travel agents and expensive tickets while coming abroad. and even though he has spent 3yrs in canada, well think of the small small money he has sent so far. uncle dey try na. plus he has monthly bills to pay, like electricity, car insurance, house rent, phone bill, credit card debts, internet bills, life insurance ........ smiley

- child neglect: i'm a single mum with 2 beautiful daughters and i japa from nigeria to provide better life for my kids. yes sometimes i works 16hrs shift, and my kids have to stay at home by themselves, the eldest is 12yo and her younger sister is 9yo. i don't like leaving them at home by themselves especially because of social services but money has to be made na, i have plenty responsibilities. there is no grandma or house help to look after them here but, they will understand the sacrifice i'm making, when they grow up.

life abroad has lots of positives and its good to experience it (if you want to), but its not all rosy. plan & strategize.
wishing you the best.

*you can comment on the rest smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGd4AOA64TU

Hi No1girl,

I read your post with utmost attention and found out that you are really a hard-working mom who loves taking absolute care of her lovely and adorable daughters...Thumbs up!

You really did justice by your expository expectations for a Nigerian who intends to JAPA outta of the country...Thumbs up!

I've a request that you need to look at, please - I'm interested in loving you until eternity...I want to be an integral part of your life, just like your daughter's.

Can we bond together?

You can send me a mention on this thread, please or better still, pm.

Happy life in abroad!
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by donmik: 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2022
You made no point but only try to deceive and scare people from migrating there.

There is nothing difficult in all you have said that we can experience worse pain here.

Stop wasting our time posting jonsense

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by chibnnodi: 5:38pm On Dec 01, 2022
Allow us to experience it, first. If you can't survive, get a return ticket, let another person replace you. We don't have light for more than 3 weeks and we'd pay for the bills. I know bills are higher there, but, you get what you're paying for.

6 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Biafraaa: 5:39pm On Dec 01, 2022
Don't be surprised that the Op is part of those that went to abroad on student visa. People who have stayed abroad for a decade and more doesn't come out to talk all these shits. If abroad don tire you enter flight come back 9ja.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by viodemus: 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2022
OP, no even waste your energy.

Who no go, no go know. I think say na only for Bush that thing get meaning, until I japa, na im I cun dey reborn.

Remember when you sef been wan travel, e no get wetin anybody for tell you to discourage you.

Japa no bad if you tell yourself say I dey ready, and even get some assistance. many will go there and become criminals, Yahoo, drugs, etc. some go pull through, some no go fit pull through. Some go still go there, go learn valuable skills and go through the grind, and might have to disassociate themselves from Nigeria to succeed. But it is a good experience for anyone capable.

When I first travel, I been dey frustrated with lack of success, I still dey call Naija everyday. But a wise man cun drop jewel for me and my bro, he say, "sometimes to elevate you have to separate". That was the best decision I do, for 2 years, we no too send many people for Naija, but when we come back, persona change. If your foolishness dey steady increase, I go cut you off. Some of those paddies wey we been no dey call, are also doing good now, from the wisdom we been spread.

So, focus over there, take care of yourself and your family, if any excess dey, and e touch you for mind, spread the love to others.

I know guy wey been dey work many jobs for yankee, because he see the opportunity, everything na family and friends for am, when he die for traffic due to exhaustion, after the first week, dem dun share all him things, cun dey find another host to leech on. meanwhile, he get two small pikin for yankee, none of the Naija relatives, send them at all.

For Naija, people dey chop govt money dey use am deceive people, many Nigerians go still dey clap for them, dey worship dem, dey encourage dem to draw the country backwards, but when they see your pictures for japaland, e remain small make dem tell you make you send dem electricity, the clean streets, and the bridges, wet dem dey see for the picture. Like say na you make Nigeria hopeless.

9 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by olaeffect(m): 5:45pm On Dec 01, 2022
HRprof:
For those comments above me OP is letting you know the good and bad part of abroad before you Jakpa E get why grin
You guys don’t want to hear the negative part ! Is better to get prepared with reality over there before Jakpa ! Is working country yes, but you pay through your nose to enjoy what the system put in place by their government is not like Nigeria where we bypass almost everything.

When they always say it. I use to be number 1 to insult them and tell them to come home if they are tired.
Not until I went to Canada, that was when I truly understood that Jesus is Lord.
1. Before coming to Canada, please make sure you are coming in as a legal resident (with work permit)
2. Know right from Nigeria which province you would stay/work; with full information as regards work availability/cost of living.
a. Some provinces/places have very cheap cost of living, but to get work is war.
3. Getting work without Canadian experience is not easy; even if it's a cleaning job.
a. I met and got live testimonies from people (students with complete legal resident documents), that stayed in Canada for 4 to 5 months without securing a job
4. Your most expensive expense is housing. House is f*cking expensive!!! A room in a 4 bedroom flat (with 1 toilet/bath for everyone to use) will cost you average of CAD600.00 monthly minimum.
5. Minimum wage is CAD13.50 do your calculations, noting that their are lawful number of hours you are allowed to work depending on your visa (student visa allowed 40hrs per week)
6. Most landlords/agents/caretakers don't allow squatting (1 bedroom means 1 person in bedroom), not like Nigeria that you can rent a room and bring 3 friends grin
7. Cheaper houses of CAD350 to CAD500.00 at the outskirts of most towns will require you having a car as bus services don't run outskirts.
8. Note that your cost of accomodation may not include utilities. A friend got a nice room for CAD450.00 in town and was excited only for him to get extra bill of CAD250.00 at the end of the months for utility (hydro, electricity, waste, and WiFi) making his total actual monthly rent to be CAD700.00

Please listen to advice and plan well before going so that you will have a good Japa-ing.
But like they say: experience is the best teacher. No matter what people said before, I experienced it before I learn grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by phemmyfour: 5:45pm On Dec 01, 2022
promzy555:
I nor see any tin bad op. I thought I will read the white pple kill blacks everyday.

Abeg make una rest
Seems there is an agenda going on to discourage people from japaing...this is the second thread today on FP

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Dshocker(m): 5:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
Originalsly:
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Any sensible person wanting to japa will want to know what he will face abroad and be well prepared before leaving. Those who don't are mainly the ones who live in misery from day one.

From personal encounter. Went to pick up a Nairalander at JFK ... arrived well prepared ... was chatting with two others first timers. Asked where th ohr two were going ... they didn't know. They simply bought tickets... and japa. Tried calling their contacts... the people answering apparently knew nothing about their coming and hung up. One .... living in another State ... finally claimed she would try and come for them. I left them there. The airport is isolated .... not a place where you can just walk off into the city. Whatever happens to them I always wonder.

Nobody I swing don't japa .... just be prepared.

If you think knowledge is bad ... try ignorance.

No embassy will issue you a visa, if you don't have a destination.

How can you tell me you are traveling to another country and your host doesn't know you are coming, haba, try dey lie small small.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by GUNITGuy: 5:48pm On Dec 01, 2022
you stay abroad saying negative trash the cons and pros of living abroad but stress the cons so much to discourage people....wether you people living abroad and flashing your happy life to sad nigerias like it or not more people are coming next year to compete with you guys ...i know what you guys are afraid of ...... please live people to make their choices that would better their lots in life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Exceed15: 5:50pm On Dec 01, 2022
Are you allowing your children communicate with their father?

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by tshtsh: 5:52pm On Dec 01, 2022
No1girl:
after interacting with various immigrants abroad in different countries, and living abroad myself for the past 10yrs, there have been common challenges that immigrants face but don't like to often talk about due to shame and critics. life abroad could be your breakthrough but its good when you understand both sides of the coin. here are some struggles nigerians are facing in your dream countries (canada, usa, uk, etc);

- divorce: nigerian men like to complain about their wives growing wings once they reach abroad knowing fully well the system here is different. some women too no dey try, e be like say dey done ready the man, say once dey reach abroad, dey go show am shege. women love it here, the system empowers us. duh
i would imagine these wouldn't be an issue for a healthy couple that love and support each other.

- fake life: yes it looks good here. thinking of the dollar rate alone, there's no way your uncle abroad can convince you that he doesn't have any money, because you won't believe anyway. so your uncle will choose to live up to the expectation of looking good, taking nice pictures in the snow (on his days off from work) and dropping it hot on your socials to impress you. you love and respect that uncle, don't you? well, at least until he doesn't send dollarz home. grin

- broke af: uncle is broke. he's trying to pay off the money borrowed and spent on visa, fraudulent travel agents and expensive tickets while coming abroad. and even though he has spent 3yrs in canada, well think of the small small money he has sent so far. uncle dey try na. plus he has monthly bills to pay, like electricity, car insurance, house rent, phone bill, credit card debts, internet bills, life insurance ........ smiley

- child neglect: i'm a single mum with 2 beautiful daughters and i japa from nigeria to provide better life for my kids. yes sometimes i works 16hrs shift, and my kids have to stay at home by themselves, the eldest is 12yo and her younger sister is 9yo. i don't like leaving them at home by themselves especially because of social services but money has to be made na, i have plenty responsibilities. there is no grandma or house help to look after them here but, they will understand the sacrifice i'm making, when they grow up.

life abroad has lots of positives and its good to experience it (if you want to), but its not all rosy. plan & strategize.
wishing you the best.

This one is your own. My own is I got PR for canada via express entry and applied for software engineering jobs remotely from Lagos. Landed two and accepted one before I landed. I stayed at a friends house for my first few days sleeping on his sofa till my first salary entered. After I received my first salary (less than two weeks after I landed) I sent 100k to my dad and 100k to my mum. They called to ask me why I'm sending them money when I only just arrived and havent settled down. I moved to an Air bnb that weekend and spent 4 months there. I also got a credit card a day after I arrived with a limit of $4000. I used up the first four months building my credit score and saving. After four months I rented a condo in Toronto for $2000 monthly. My mum retired in February as a civil servant while my dad is much more buoyant than she is. Her pension is barely a little over 100k but I change $450 and send to her monthly. In addition to doing this I'm able to live comfortably and still save 25% of my income monthly. Later this month I'll be going to Nigeria to visit them as I havent seen my parents since I moved here 6 months ago. Anyone that wants to leave nigeria should do their homework and move. Nigerians are doing well in both home and abroad. Make yourself among the ones that do well either at home or abroad. Don't be discouraged by all this negative talk. By the way I'm 31 years old. Some days ago the bank increased my credit limit. I never use more than 10 per cent of my limit hence they probably want to get me to spend more. With good planning, entering the country legitimately (avoid aduro route), proper skills and some luck you'll be alright.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by FireUpNow(m): 5:54pm On Dec 01, 2022
OP all these nor go ever stop japa because it's in our plan to cut out, the good life is what we want

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by nedekid: 5:56pm On Dec 01, 2022
Originalsly:
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Any sensible person wanting to japa will want to know what he will face abroad and be well prepared before leaving. Those who don't are mainly the ones who live in misery from day one.

From personal encounter. Went to pick up a Nairalander at JFK ... arrived well prepared ... was chatting with two others first timers. Asked where th ohr two were going ... they didn't know. They simply bought tickets... and japa. Tried calling their contacts... the people answering apparently knew nothing about their coming and hung up. One .... living in another State ... finally claimed she would try and come for them. I left them there. The airport is isolated .... not a place where you can just walk off into the city. Whatever happens to them I always wonder.

Nobody I swing don't japa .... just be prepared.

If you think knowledge is bad ... try ignorance.
Na wah oh. Things de happen!
Remember my sisters househelp those days. She use to follow them on vacations. She had US visa etc on her passport. About 2 days before her visa was to expire she decided to leave the family and relocate. Village lady that knew nothing but had traveled with them few times. Anyway they assisted her with ticket money. This girl went to airport and took off to the US without knowing anybody. This happened about 15 years ago! Anway few years later she actually visited my sis while she was on vacation in the US. She came with "man" lol.
I understand she is well established now. Went to school and a nurse.
Some people are quite rugged oh, they don't look back only front.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by AllDModsAreMaad: 5:59pm On Dec 01, 2022
Thank you for your concern, you can now face front and mind your business...

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by occfx: 5:59pm On Dec 01, 2022
OloYeOfEgbE:
Gettat..

Hahaha, it's simply frustration of a single mom. She no need man ooo but inside her she wishes man dey house dey provide and arrange things.

She dey work 16hrs a day to make ends meet. Some people dey work 24hrs here and still go home with 25k at the end of the month. Anyhow you look am, abroad better pass this dongeon unless Peter Obi enter next yr

5 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Faposky95: 6:02pm On Dec 01, 2022
...write and sell your book.... Don't come here telling ppl the bad side...we know
Tell us the good side .....

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 01, 2022
tshtsh:

This one is your own. My own is I got PR for canada via express entry and applied for software engineering jobs remotely from Lagos. Landed two and accepted one before I landed. I stayed at a friends house for my first few days sleeping on his sofa till my first salary entered. After I received my first salary (less than two weeks after I landed) I sent 100k to my dad and 100k to my mum. They called to ask me why I'm sending them money when I only just arrived and havent settled down. I moved to an Air bnb that weekend and spent 4 months there. I also got a credit card a day after I arrived with a limit of $4000. I used up the first four months building my credit score and saving. After four months I rented a condo in Toronto for $2000 monthly. My mum retired in February as a civil servant while my dad is much more buoyant than she is. Her pension is barely a little over 100k but I change $450 and send to her monthly. In addition to doing this I'm able to live comfortably and still save 25% of my income monthly. Later this month I'll be going to Nigeria to visit them as I havent seen my parents since I moved here 6 months ago. Anyone that wants to leave nigeria should do their homework and move. Nigerians are doing well in both home and abroad. Make yourself among the ones that do well either at home or abroad. Don't be discouraged by all this negative talk. By the way I'm 31 years old. Some days ago the bank increased my credit limit. I never use more than 10 per cent of my limit hence they probably want to get me to spend more. With good planning, entering the country legitimately (avoid aduro route), proper skills and some luck you'll be alright.

What she said is not meant for guys like you...it is meant for people who think they can jump into Canada or any foreign country with no skills the country can use. You have skills canada can use, that's why they took you in, and why you got a good enough job.

Like UK takes a lot of Nigerian doctors and nurses because they have skills they can use. Someone wey read economics...unless he or she has a academic place in a postgrad programme, jobs would be hard to find.

So, she spoke well. Very well.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by habeeboladimeji(m): 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2022
Until we hear and see people coming back home en masse thats wen we will give up on japa, but till then make we all go face the positive and negative together

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Realguyman1(m): 6:09pm On Dec 01, 2022
OloYeOfEgbE:
Gettat..
Omo, this one weak me grin

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by IMASTEX: 6:10pm On Dec 01, 2022
HRprof:
For those comments above me OP is letting you know the good and bad part of abroad before you Jakpa E get why grin
You guys don’t want to hear the negative part ! Is better to get prepared with reality over there before Jakpa ! Is working country yes, but you pay through your nose to enjoy what the system put in place by their government is not like Nigeria where we bypass almost everything.
Agreed, many are willing to pay through their noses in Nigeria or are already doing so, yet the system offers them nothing. It's more like bribing the system to keep living because you pay taxes, and still arrange for a private security.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by MacDani(m): 6:11pm On Dec 01, 2022
I don't blame you, na nairaland wey give you platform to yan this rubbish I go they blame. Who get salt Biko gemme my maggi don finish.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by BleedTears: 6:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
No1girl:

wishing you the best.

Ok would you tell us while a lady is a single parents.
Did the father of the kids died?
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
Angelfrost:
Wait o... Second thread on FP today trying to discourage Japa!

What exactly is the motive?!!

Life is about choices!!!... If e hard you over there, then get on a plane and get the fvck out!

The harder you all try to discourage others from coming to 'suffer' with you, the more they show up... So, give it up already!

This is not gonna work dear abroad people...! These people are coming to drag that abroad with you! grin

The only way to cut down Japa is to turn Naija to Japan!!! cool

The most annoying part is that some of you abroad also support APC and PDP!!!... Don't worry, the numbers coming over next year alone will shock y'all to the bone! grin grin grin

Oga, there is nothing wrong with what she said.

Life abroad is hard. I say this as someone who has friends and relatives abroad...including one who shared flats for several years before he got into a financial state to rent a flat to himself.

Even their bills...by Nigerian standards, the power companies are being nice to us...over there, the bills are sky high by our standards.

I am not here to discourage anyone from going abroad, but if you must...HAVE SKILLS THE COUNTRY CAN USE. I repeat...HAVE SKILLS THE COUNTRY CAN USE.

There is also nothing wrong with asking people to stay. The sector where I work, we are going to have serious staffing shortages in the next ten years, unless government wakes up...because too many of us dey japa.

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Hezzyluv: 6:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
AllDModsAreMaad:
Thank you for your concern, you can now face front and mind your business...

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Y you just dey Para..... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nonywendy(m): 6:16pm On Dec 01, 2022
onlinestaff2020:

Hi No1girl,

I read your post with utmost attention and found out that you are really a hard-working mom who loves taking absolute care of her lovely and adorable daughters...Thumbs up!

You really did justice by your expository expectations for a Nigerian who intends to JAPA outta of the country...Thumbs up!

I've a request that you need to look at, please - I'm interested in loving you until eternity...I want to be an integral part of your life, just like your daughter's.

Can we bond together?

Happy life in abroad!
SImP spotted. Simp on man.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by NONSO740: 6:18pm On Dec 01, 2022
She no tell us that she is using masubators to cure konji...
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by sameoldguy: 6:21pm On Dec 01, 2022
onlinestaff2020:

Hi No1girl,

Can we bond together?

Happy life in abroad!

My guy grin grin grin grin…. You want to enjoy her ‘oto’?

Enjoy bro, na Wetin men de do
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by eyinjuege: 6:22pm On Dec 01, 2022
Abroadarians, una no dey drink water drop cup?
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nnamaka1: 6:25pm On Dec 01, 2022
No1girl:

wishing you the best.

What happened to your husband or the father of your kids? Why is he not in your life right now?

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by formular2002(m): 6:28pm On Dec 01, 2022
Up until today, Nigerians, indians, Philippinos and other European migrants in the UK are still the most hardworking people making their money to pay their bills. I have never seen an immigrant become homeless. All homeless folks I have seen here are UK citizens because of their love for free money.
Yes, it's not easy (it's not easy anywhere in the world).
But seeing value for what you pay for and the security alone is enough.
The crux of the matter is to plan and have enough cash buffer when coming. It may be rough initially but laslas, everybody go dey alright. Even those in Nigeria go dey alright. It's all about timing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by benqo01(m): 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2022
Seriously? Re u kidding me? What the OP listed here doesnt look negative it's a normal stuff jàre.

Na man everyday life either here or there,but me i must japa

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Racially Abused A White Man On Train Going To London (Pictures) / The Arik Airline Passenger Seat An Expatriate Saw Today (pics) / 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.