Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About (50836 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nobody: 6:39pm On Dec 01, 2022
No1girl:
after interacting with various immigrants abroad in different countries, and living abroad myself for the past 10yrs, there have been common challenges that immigrants face but don't like to often talk about due to shame and critics. life abroad could be your breakthrough but its good when you understand both sides of the coin. here are some struggles nigerians are facing in your dream countries (canada, usa, uk, etc);

- divorce: nigerian men like to complain about their wives growing wings once they reach abroad knowing fully well the system here is different. some women too no dey try, e be like say dey done ready the man, say once dey reach abroad, dey go show am shege. women love it here, the system empowers us. duh
i would imagine these wouldn't be an issue for a healthy couple that love and support each other.

- fake life: yes it looks good here. thinking of the dollar rate alone, there's no way your uncle abroad can convince you that he doesn't have any money, because you won't believe anyway. so your uncle will choose to live up to the expectation of looking good, taking nice pictures in the snow (on his days off from work) and dropping it hot on your socials to impress you. you love and respect that uncle, don't you? well, at least until he doesn't send dollarz home. grin

- broke af: uncle is broke. he's trying to pay off the money borrowed and spent on visa, fraudulent travel agents and expensive tickets while coming abroad. and even though he has spent 3yrs in canada, well think of the small small money he has sent so far. uncle dey try na. plus he has monthly bills to pay, like electricity, car insurance, house rent, phone bill, credit card debts, internet bills, life insurance ........ smiley

- child neglect: i'm a single mum with 2 beautiful daughters and i japa from nigeria to provide better life for my kids. yes sometimes i works 16hrs shift, and my kids have to stay at home by themselves, the eldest is 12yo and her younger sister is 9yo. i don't like leaving them at home by themselves especially because of social services but money has to be made na, i have plenty responsibilities. there is no grandma or house help to look after them here but, they will understand the sacrifice i'm making, when they grow up.

life abroad has lots of positives and its good to experience it (if you want to), but its not all rosy. plan & strategize.
wishing you the best.

*you can comment on the rest smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGd4AOA64TU
All these are common sense occurrences one should expect. However a risk is worth taking. Knowing that you are going to a nation that values people, ll pay you in time and you ll get dividend of what you paid for. That's what makes life easier. We know abroad isn't a place of making free money. But opportunities are always there and there are sacrifices to make.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by HRprof: 6:43pm On Dec 01, 2022
Angelfrost:

Yeah... Because the average Nigerian is living in paradise here!

Everybody has a right to make his choices with regards to where suits his lifestyle.

Channel this energy into ensuring sensible and incorruptible leaders are elected next... If not, the influx will be beyond shocking!!! cool

@bolded grin grin
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by franchasng: 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2022
promzy555:
I nor see any tin bad op. I thought I will read the white pple kill blacks everyday.

Abeg make una rest
cheesy grin
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Streetdreamx(m): 6:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
Who no come no go know, allow us to come first..
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by franchasng: 6:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
ednut1:
Same repetitive topics and videos. Can you guys just buy a ticket and return home
lol, the only thing I hate about abroad is the winter (cold weather), nothing else.

It is good for every Nigerian to witness living abroad even if for just 2 years, it will help Nigerians understand the need not to vote for greedy criminals like Emi Lo kan and co shocked

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by jesmond3945: 6:52pm On Dec 01, 2022
olaeffect:

When they always say it. I use to be number 1 to insult them and tell them to come home if they are tired.
Not until I went to Canada, that was when I truly understood that Jesus is Lord.
1. Before coming to Canada, please make sure you are coming in as a legal resident (with work permit)
2. Know right from Nigeria which province you would stay/work; with full information as regards work availability/cost of living.
a. Some provinces/places have very cheap cost of living, but to get work is war.
3. Getting work without Canadian experience is not easy; even if it's a cleaning job.
a. I met and got live testimonies from people (students with complete legal resident documents), that stayed in Canada for 4 to 5 months without securing a job
4. Your most expensive expense is housing. House is f*cking expensive!!! A room in a 4 bedroom flat (with 1 toilet/bath for everyone to use) will cost you average of CAD600.00 monthly minimum.
5. Minimum wage is CAD13.50 do your calculations, noting that their are lawful number of hours you are allowed to work depending on your visa (student visa allowed 40hrs per week)
6. Most landlords/agents/caretakers don't allow squatting (1 bedroom means 1 person in bedroom), not like Nigeria that you can rent a room and bring 3 friends grin
7. Cheaper houses of CAD350 to CAD500.00 at the outskirts of most towns will require you having a car as bus services don't run outskirts.
8. Note that your cost of accomodation may not include utilities. A friend got a nice room for CAD450.00 in town and was excited only for him to get extra bill of CAD250.00 at the end of the months for utility (hydro, electricity, waste, and WiFi) making his total actual monthly rent to be CAD700.00

Please listen to advice and plan well before going so that you will have a good Japa-ing.
But like they say: experience is the best teacher. No matter what people said before, I experienced it before I learn grin
My dear these things are subjective. There is no one rule fits all. Many get jobs without canadian experience, many nigerians live in one room and so on. Allow people to take the risk, no guts no glory.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by HRprof: 6:53pm On Dec 01, 2022
IMASTEX:

Agreed, many are willing to pay through their noses in Nigeria or are already doing so, yet the system offers them nothing. It's more like bribing the system to keep living because you pay taxes, and still arrange for a private security.

I understand but most peoples Jakpa for greener pasture not for security reason and you know what it mean to spend all you earn over there against their expectations. My advice is for them to get prepared for the reality before Jakpa and that’s what OP is trying to say I’m not disputing the fact that our leaders are not doing the right thing .
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by cystation: 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2022
What have u said now...

Rubbish!
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Angelfrost(m): 6:58pm On Dec 01, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Oga, there is nothing wrong with what she said.

Life abroad is hard. I say this as someone who has friends and relatives abroad...including one who shared flats for several years before he got into a financial state to rent a flat to himself.

Even their bills...by Nigerian standards, the power companies are being nice to us...over there, the bills are sky high by our standards.

I am not here to discourage anyone from going abroad, but if you must...HAVE SKILLS THE COUNTRY CAN USE. I repeat...HAVE SKILLS THE COUNTRY CAN USE.

There is also nothing wrong with asking people to stay. The sector where I work, we are going to have serious staffing shortages in the next ten years, unless government wakes up...because too many of us dey japa.

That's why things have to change fast starting from elections next year.

Many guys I know are just chilling on their passport waiting for the results of the election... Once the same recycled leaders are elected, the Japa will be historical next year and beyond!

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Cmanforall: 7:04pm On Dec 01, 2022
libertyfather:
Walahi, nothing u wan talk ooooo, all of us dey come
grin grin cheesy
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Eau01: 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2022
So many people will not understand but those who live abroad and those who's be there before and have had first class experiences about living abroad will understand better. Life abroad no easy man.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by sparko1(m): 7:11pm On Dec 01, 2022
That's it?

I thought you want to give some terrifying information, no kidnapping, no armed robbers, no lastman, no police issues, no efcc, no traffic issues.

Just some white collar issues, if these were the issues in Nigeria will you leave?

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Winnin009: 7:14pm On Dec 01, 2022
HRprof:
For those comments above me OP is letting you know the good and bad part of abroad before you Jakpa E get why grin
You guys don’t want to hear the negative part ! Is better to get prepared with reality over there before Jakpa ! Is working country yes, but you pay through your nose to enjoy what the system put in place by their government is not like Nigeria where we bypass almost everything.

After you bypass everything, what amenities do you enjoy? Is it the good road or is it the 24 hours light?!

Smh.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Fearyourcreator: 7:16pm On Dec 01, 2022
Charisco:
Make we get there first, all of una just dey talk rubbish. Is better to suffer once and rest than to keep suffering up and down in this useless country
Nobody fit hold anyone
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Winnin009: 7:17pm On Dec 01, 2022
Gerrard59:

Such a person is a lawless somebody. Anyone who cannot obey simple laws should please remain in Nigeria. Isn't that the reason the country is the way she is? This pay through your nose na wetin dey burst my head. Are you getting what you pay for, yes or no? Are the trains working optimally? You dey enter gallop? You dey pay for the electricity, and it comes 24/7? Health care nko? Shey you fit drive from Point A to B without Fulani herdsmen slaughtering you like suya?

No one is saying there are no negatives. Everything has a positive and negative. But when the complaints are consistent yet those complaining continue to put their yanshes in the abroad, it gets tiring and hypocritical. These complaints are humdrum. If the abroad is too difficult, book a flight and return to Nigeria.

It baffles me. How can you be grumbling about paying for what you’re using uninterruptedly?!
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Winnin009: 7:19pm On Dec 01, 2022
This woman can lie o. Your kids are 12 and 9 but you’ve been there for 10 years. Did you run away from home with a pregnancy and a two year old baby?

Make we dey take an easy.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by HRprof: 7:21pm On Dec 01, 2022
Dshocker:

No embassy will issue you a visa, if you don't have a destination.

How can you tell me you are traveling to another country and your host doesn't know you are coming, haba, try dey lie small small.

Low mentality I have seen in you.
Pointer
1. Visa applicants use hotel booking as a destination abroad but that doesn’t mean they will stay there if visa is issue
2. Indicating you have someone abroad can cause a visa denial so smart applicant use hotel to avoid that
3. If eventually you get visa and spend all your money on flight ticket hoping for someone to accommodate you and the person didn’t show up at the airport what will you do?. E dey happen everyday

With your comment above that’s shows you have not visited embassy grin

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by BRATISLAVA: 7:31pm On Dec 01, 2022
Everyday this? This is the new trend of threads?

Well, at least it isn't the former norm of daft boys.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by lordprogress: 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2022
All those things you listed if we tell you watin we dey go through for here, you nor go dey talk like this.
Let me finish my internship and nysc first I nor dey
Think twice Canada straight.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by kabukabu50(m): 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2022
Nobody is forcing you to stay in the US,lady.

You are free to go back to blackouts,bad roads,dirty sewers,erosion,unemployment,corrupt officials,dangerous highways and even more dangerous policemen and terrible Healthcare.

Social media is not life.

Buying or building a house for people that don't give a rats ass about you is meaningless.

You don't owe anyone anything just because "you travelled abroad and you must show them"

Letting people who don't pay taxes guilt trip you into burning hard earned money to impress them is very dumb.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Judolisco(m): 7:35pm On Dec 01, 2022
HRprof:
For those comments above me OP is letting you know the good and bad part of abroad before you Jakpa E get why grin
You guys don’t want to hear the negative part ! Is better to get prepared with reality over there before Jakpa ! Is working country yes, but you pay through your nose to enjoy what the system put in place by their government is not like Nigeria where we bypass almost everything.
if we r paying 2 in Nigeria then we can start asking for accountability.... As for japa... Nothing u fit tell us... Make we come see for ourselves
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Originalsly: 7:35pm On Dec 01, 2022
Dshocker:

No embassy will issue you a visa, if you don't have a destination.

How can you tell me you are traveling to another country and your host doesn't know you are coming, haba, try dey lie small small.

Hmmm...... I learn something new today. ..... to be issued a visa person must have a destination.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Emmanuel909090: 7:35pm On Dec 01, 2022
Really?
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by HRprof: 7:36pm On Dec 01, 2022
Winnin009:

After you bypass everything, what amenities do you enjoy? Is it the good road or is it the 24 hours light?!

Smh.
That’s the implications of bypassing taxes and light grin
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by IMASTEX: 7:43pm On Dec 01, 2022
HRprof:

I understand but most peoples Jakpa for greener pasture not for security reason and you know what it mean to spend all you earn over there against their expectations. My advice is for them to get prepared for the reality before Jakpa and that’s what OP is trying to say I’m not disputing the fact that our leaders are not doing the right thing .
Seconded, the truth is many Nigerians are naturally hard working, the problem is the system that doesn't reward hard work yet with less opportunity. Thus those set of people will definitely have a great life abroad. Most Nigerians aren't really seeking the moon or social media illusion but a basic standard of living, a sense of hope, security, opportunity for all and a system that reverence excellence.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by HRprof: 7:44pm On Dec 01, 2022
Judolisco:
if we r paying 2 in Nigeria then we can start asking for accountability.... As for japa... Nothing u fit tell us... Make we come see for ourselves
Nobody is stoping anyone from Jakpa but get prepared, know the do”s and don’t, know the positive and negative part e get why.
Nigerians are disgracing us abroad with illegal activities na because of this. Those who prepare before Japa don’t venture into illegal activities. I’m tire of been looked at with one eye once I mentioned I’m a nigeria to a foreignergrin
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by LaconicINC: 7:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
nothing new here, I have heard all these before, I was expecting something different TBH
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by ednut1(m): 7:46pm On Dec 01, 2022
franchasng:
lol, the only thing I hate about abroad is the winter (cold weather), nothing else.

It is good for every Nigerian to witness living abroad even if for just 2 years, it will help Nigerians understand the need not to vote for greedy criminals like Emi Lo kan and co shocked
is cold worse than heat plus mosquitoes angry
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Edusouls(m): 7:50pm On Dec 01, 2022
Failed race of humanity are blacks , always looking for a ready made place for comfort they didn’t contribute to, can’t put things in place for themselves and children, but only breed poverty, suffering and senseless reproduction..

3 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Vadese1: 7:51pm On Dec 01, 2022
Nothing much has been said. Since there is work to do to make money abroad, it is a welcome development. In Nigeria there is no work to survive life. that is why people are going abroad
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by kabukabu50(m): 7:58pm On Dec 01, 2022
ednut1:
is cold worse than heat plus mosquitoes angry

He is just a lazy person.

Many parts of US get hotter than Nigeria for at least 4 months in the summertime.

Its not seriously cold for more than 3 months of the year even in the coldest areas.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by planetx: 8:29pm On Dec 01, 2022
Edusouls:
Failed race of humanity are blacks , always looking for a ready made place for comfort they didn’t contribute to, can’t put things in place for themselves and children, but only breed poverty, suffering and senseless reproduction..
They think all those countries they are running to will not soon slam the door shut on them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Racially Abused A White Man On Train Going To London (Pictures) / The Arik Airline Passenger Seat An Expatriate Saw Today (pics) / 4 Ways Uber And Taxify Are Cheating Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.