Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares (13146 Views)

I Didn’t Lose 2023 Presidential Election, Atiku Declares / Atiku Declares To Run For President / 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by ochejoseph(m): 1:57pm On Dec 12, 2022
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has promised to meet the demand of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to pay their backlog of salaries if he is elected president.

Though the union embarked on an eight-month strike which ended in October, it has since been at loggerheads with the Federal Government over unpaid salaries, arguing that its members will make up for the lost time in the classroom.

However, Atiku gave the academics an assurance of clearing the backlog during his appearance at The People’s Townhall organised by Channels Television in Abuja on Saturday.

“I’m going to increase the funding level (of education) as against what is currently obtained, no doubt about that because I am a firm and committed believer in education.

“I have undertaken to say, ‘Whatever backlog – we are going to clear all the backlogs and make sure that you go back to classes and students go back to school,” he said.

The former vice president acknowledged the “sometimes invisible roadblocks,” explaining that when the Federal Government releases money for the universities, it does not go straight to the universities.

According to him, the funds are channelled through “another federal bureaucracy” that “might decide to do whatever they want” before the monies are sent to the individual universities.

“Why not remove the bottleneck?” he asked. “Whatever is due to university A, B, C, D, send it directly!”

The PDP candidate recalled an experience during his tenure as vice president between 1999 and 2007, where according to him, a visit to several embassies revealed that “all the staff” were not owed for “several months.”

“I even visited Togo which is the headquarters of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). Every West African country has a building and staff quarters as poor as they may be, and Nigeria didn’t have, a founding member of ECOWAS,” he said.

“I came back and called the minister of finance and said, ‘What is happening? Let’s do something different.’ She said, ‘What?’ ‘Let’s ask every embassy to give us their budget.

“And when they give us their budget, we don’t send the money through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), we send the money straight to the embassies.’ That immediately eliminated the backlog of all the salaries that they were owing to our staff abroad.”

But, according to Atiku, the ministry was not pleased.

“They (MFA) kept on fighting. So, sometimes you have to really be bold enough to change some of the processes or procedures that are currently obtained in the public service to get service delivered to where they should be delivered,” he said.

“I was told of a story where, of course, some funding for universities was stalled at the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC): ‘NUC, what do you want to operate?’ (This) much. ‘Universities, where do you want to operate?’ (This) much.’ You give them directly. Why do you have to go through NUC?

“As I’ve said, I’ve pledged to increase the funding of education as far as our budget is concerned. Sadly, we are not even meeting our counterparts in West Africa. They may be poorer than we are, but we are not spending as much, as far as the educational sector is concerned.”

You can watch the full video of the interaction via channels link source below

H.E Atiku and Dr. Okowa is the combination Nigeria needs.

As One We can Get It Done!!!!!

Dr. Oche Otorkpa (FRSPH-UK)

https://www.channelstv.com/2022/12/11/i-will-clear-ASUU-salary-backlog-atiku/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by ochejoseph(m): 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2022
I there is one thing I know about this man .......Atiku values education he is passionate about t

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Deenee34: 2:01pm On Dec 12, 2022
Yes, from the above said by Atiku we knew he can do it because he knows where the problem is

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Garga01: 2:02pm On Dec 12, 2022
I personally agree with Atiku because of his love to Education

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Naktinakkr(m): 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2022
The Nigeria must Recover, Atiku Abubakar is our solution

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Jostoman: 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2022
Hummmm?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by owobokiri(m): 2:05pm On Dec 12, 2022
At the rate he's going, Atiku will ultimately promise to pay the dowry for all unmarried bachelors in West Africa if we can allow him to rule Nigeria for one day! Just one day!! Even 12 hours will do...

Such desperation is a sign of danger. Buhari came with similar promises. .. We saw hell..

171 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by OtejiriEriegha: 2:05pm On Dec 12, 2022
This can only be done by someone who have the future of our Education system at heart. ATIKU &OKOWA got us covered.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by MADUBukar005: 2:06pm On Dec 12, 2022
I agree with Atiku Abubakar with what he says about ASUU Nigeria need a person like to clear all problem of education

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by IdofiAma: 2:07pm On Dec 12, 2022
There's no doubt about Atuku's passion for the suffering educational sector in Nigeria

#Atikuorganizingforaction

1 Like

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Bulama1234: 2:11pm On Dec 12, 2022
H.E Atiku Abubakar have experience on education he will solve all the problems that is crippling our universities, Atiku will make education standard In Nigeria there will be no more ASUU strike if we elect ATIKU/OKOWA 2023, #AtikuOrganizingForAction

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Deenee34: 2:11pm On Dec 12, 2022
I trust Atiku, because he isn't the one that can't find his school certificate
He knows the year he completed his school.
He knows his schoolmates.
He knows the value of education.

#AtikuOrganizingForAction

4 Likes

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by DDLuwa: 2:12pm On Dec 12, 2022
I lived in Lagos and partly in Yola, Adamawa State, I've visited most of the Universities in the South and I can testify that Atiku's University is one of the best Private University In the Country. He will use his experience and competence as a University proprietor to resolved the lingering crisis that crippled our educational system in the Country. In Atiku we Trust!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Prinota: 2:13pm On Dec 12, 2022
Atiku always see the key area that can make Nigerian working again

#Atiku for a better and greater on Nigeria come 2023

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Prinota: 2:13pm On Dec 12, 2022
Sai the unifyer come 2023
Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by SirNature23: 2:14pm On Dec 12, 2022
Once the educational sector is settled, Nigeria will leap forward. Thank God for his vision to reposition the universities to what it should be.
My singular vote is for you sir

1 Like

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Amkson22(m): 2:15pm On Dec 12, 2022
Atiku is the man of his word definetly he will do so if elected

1 Like

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Camplying: 2:15pm On Dec 12, 2022
Atiku Nigeria best Candidate in this next Election.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Msbose(m): 2:16pm On Dec 12, 2022
I'm very sure Atiku will do more than that in other to settle educations system in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Arafat2022: 2:16pm On Dec 12, 2022
Supported our next President
By the special Grace of Almighty Lord.
AtikuOkowaOrganizingForAction

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Rfgyal342: 2:18pm On Dec 12, 2022
Keep up the good work Baba Atiku Abubakar

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Camplying: 2:20pm On Dec 12, 2022
Atiku Abubakar remains the only candidate fit for becoming Nigeria's next leader to rescue Nigeria Base on fact's.

Sai the unifyer come 2023

1 Like

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by SANTALIABDUL: 2:21pm On Dec 12, 2022
unifier help the poor student, so that they can enjoy their study....
Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Akauda(m): 2:21pm On Dec 12, 2022
Atiku is Educated person
Atiku Unifear

1 Like

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Aliyuetsu01(m): 2:23pm On Dec 12, 2022
With Atiku Abubakar Wazirin Adamawa as the President of Nigeria, our Educational system will be back in good shape.

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Kinglying: 2:26pm On Dec 12, 2022
Atiku abubakar of the PDP is Nigerians main ambassador for the "operation rescue Nigeria" come 2023 by God's Grace.

#Nigeria Needs Fixing come 2023.

Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by uzair90: 2:26pm On Dec 12, 2022
Atiku is the right choice for Nigerians we will vote for him massively
Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Amuzfat(m): 2:27pm On Dec 12, 2022
Wazirin Adamawa have the future of our education system at heart and If given tge chance, we believe he would change our education system positively
Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Nasan(m): 2:30pm On Dec 12, 2022
We Believe With Atiku Abubakar As President 2023, All ASUU Demands Will Be Meet.

Atiku Abubakar Is An Educationalist, So He Value Education.
Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Honariske(m): 2:30pm On Dec 12, 2022
[our incoming president Alhaji Atiku Abubakar wazirin adamawa insha Allahu Nigeria sai Atiku Abubakar,
Re: I Will Clear ASUU Salary Backlog - Atiku Declares by Gebala(m): 2:31pm On Dec 12, 2022
OtejiriEriegha:
This can only be done by someone who have the future of our Education system at heart. ATIKU &OKOWA got us covered.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking News - Elections Cancelled. Fresh elections- Obi vs...BAT! / Nigerian Troops Capture Boko Haram, Kill 27 Militants In Hildi, Balmo Forest / Anti-Corruption Fight: Top 'Own Goals' Scored By The Buhari Administration -Tori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.