Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,186 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. (24879 Views)

Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? / Tips On Buying A Used Mercedes Benz Car - The Pros And Cons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by SpatialKing(m): 11:36am On Dec 27, 2022
Go for Honda Civil

Forget the noise about Toyota Corolla
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Privatepart00: 11:36am On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
I enjoin all forum members to actively contribute
my budget is 4.5M
the choices I am looking at are these :

1. Toyota Rav 4, (2011) Nigerian used. A friend is actually convinced this is the car I should buy as it fits nicely in terms of prestige and functionality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.

2. Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle) : I like this car and if it falls within my budget I'd happily buy it. The only negative here is I've been wanting an SUV to be my first car considering Lagos roads etc so I'm not totally sold on the idea of getting this car.

3. Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.

So that's it. I'd appreciate if forum members advice correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.

The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car.

I appreciate you all.

Acura MDX either 2009 or 2010 model .
Acura RDX either 2009 or 2010 model.
This matches what you looking for.

Someone buying sedan in this country will regret later
Remind me of my friend who said is either Lexus ES330 or nothing.
He can’t drive the car in peace now.
He doesn’t want to raise suspension or change tires either
Ordinary to pass speed bump is war .

3 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Lastborn0074: 11:37am On Dec 27, 2022
Bro i would recommend Toyota Corolla, AKA American mistake. This is a great car for starters. It's easier to maintain and is strong.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Kobicove(m): 11:45am On Dec 27, 2022
Viridis:
I advice you to buy bicycle instead with the money because of too much traffic jam, bicycle will take you faster to your destination

grin
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by deavicky(m): 11:45am On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

1. Toyota Rav 4, (2011) Nigerian used. A friend is actually convinced this is the car I should buy as it fits nicely in terms of prestige and functionality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.

2. Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle) : I like this car and if it falls within my budget I'd happily buy it. The only negative here is I've been wanting an SUV to be my first car considering Lagos roads etc so I'm not totally sold on the idea of getting this car.

3. Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.

So that's it. I'd appreciate if forum members advice correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.

The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car.

I appreciate you all.
the only thing I can tell is never by any Nigerian used car up to 4.5m as ur first car.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by tishbite42: 11:48am On Dec 27, 2022
Range Rover Evoq ue or Autobiography won't be a bad idea, cuz
wink wink smiley cheesy grin
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by LaconicINC: 11:48am On Dec 27, 2022
Thepotterman:
Buy 2012 Hyundai Elantra, not an SUV but that car is bae

You don face electrical issues for Hyundai before?then you go know say Village people hold convention for your matter

3 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by tishbite42: 11:49am On Dec 27, 2022
Or patapata
Take the money run two odds

4 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by LaconicINC: 11:49am On Dec 27, 2022
Useless dead car lolz
MansoryMX:

Some of you think German cars are cars. Fine, they are fast but not luxurious except the recent makes which Op can't afford. Make he go buy c300 of 2008 abi? When he easily 2012-2013 neat camry. C300 is dirty and dead car! That's the only car 4.5 can afford in Benz. Another set of useless cars are 2008-2012 is250, 2005-2009 rx350 and 2007-2011 es350.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by joshuaidibia(m): 11:50am On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

That budget can get you a good BMW 328i 09/10 direct Belgium. There's your prestige and good engine all in one
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by saintnegroid(m): 11:54am On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:

buygala I dey disappointed in your comment. Me and you don tey for this forum and I respect you a lot. I no expect this kind comment from you at all.
ain't see his comment as a bad one... There is no insult on that his comment
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by XaToXi: 11:58am On Dec 27, 2022
LordReed:

For your budget and living area I'd say go for foreign used SUVs. The options I would recommend are Acura MDX, Ford Edge, Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRV or Crosstour, all in the 2010-2013 range.
Privatepart00:

Seconded.

Honda Pilot too.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by flexyrule(m): 11:59am On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.
Whatever you do... Don't buy a Nigerian used car. And flee from Mercedes Benz.

My two cents!

3 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by macaranta(m): 12:02pm On Dec 27, 2022
If by first car you also will be putting an "L" behind it ,I'd advice you use like 1.5m to 2m to buy a Honda/camry...when you are conversant with cars (driving,maintenance,etc) you will be in a better position to pick another vehicle in like 2years time.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by backtovillage: 12:03pm On Dec 27, 2022
No picture
Which kind mumu op b ds
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Goldbw122(m): 12:05pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.

Buy this one and enjoy peace of mind.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by ChiabiamaNedum: 12:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
Everyone's saying don't buy Nigerian used. Plz how do even know Nigerian used? You mean the ones sampled with empty bottle water? I need a family car and the more I read opinions, the more confusion. How about Ford products? May be Ford Escape?

3 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by weslay: 12:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
RZArecta:
that V8 engine by 2am on third mainland bridge grin

Baba calm down... You dey make me get goose pimple

2 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Chimoobii: 12:08pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

If you are buying for personal use, then your first car shouldn't be Nigerian used, for all these qualities you mentioned ( functionality, ease of maintenance e.t.c.) , you should check around for Toyota camry 2010, if you want an SUV then you should look for lexus Rx 300-330 ,2000-2006( more elegant than any Toyota with your budget).
You can contact me for more information

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Streetmovement(m): 12:09pm On Dec 27, 2022
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Which ever you choose just Split the money into two and buy for two grin

That's my candid advice
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Jeterry(m): 12:13pm On Dec 27, 2022
Your first car, hmm this guy Ok

If you can afford it, a lexus rx350 013 is the best suv you need.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by veron007: 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

Bro congrats. I'll advice you to go for Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle). It's a newer car and I presume less millage on it.
Toyota Camry is a well known car in Nigeria and can be fixed by almost any mechanic, parts are also cheap with good retail value.
Just make sure that you write your car number on all the removable parts because of 2nd owners.

2 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by umuna(m): 12:20pm On Dec 27, 2022
harley88:
I’m an Honda fan so I’d advice you for the tokunbo of the Honda Civic 2012 model. Change go still remain from the 4.5.
Or you go for the naija used 2013/14 Honda Accord. Change no suppose remain.
These cars are easy to maintain and also command some prestige.

I would have advised VW Jetta 2013, but maintenance might be an issue esp for a first time owner.

THANKS. you are the only person that have mentioned a vw car. one of the best car i have driven. i call them highway beast! Highly reliable and i advise vw owners to stick with the recommended parts and oil. I think not recommended for a beginner.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by naturalwaves: 12:30pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:

Lagos.
The truth is no one cares about the vehicle you drive. Just focus on functionality. I used to stay in a place where from Ikeja to my house is all tarred and good. Then, I drove a very low level Hyundai Accent 2014 model. I never felt it. Then a friend invited me to a wedding around Ipaja Ayobo one day. After brushing the hell out of the car against the ground, I felt so terrible and had to park the car somewhere safe and then I got a bike to the venue of the wedding. Since most areas in Lagos can be like that(Even on the island where I stay) ,your best bet is to get something that has a good ground clearance first of all(Like 8 inches above the ground ). Being your first vehicle, I suggest you go for the RAV 4.

2 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by naturalwaves: 12:35pm On Dec 27, 2022
LaconicINC:

You don face electrical issues for Hyundai before?then you go know say Village people hold convention for your matter
You will take Hyundai to the service centre should anything happen. Not a big deal. I've had a close family member drive Accent for 8 straight years with no issue whatsoever. The cars are generally reliable.

4 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by jmichael259(m): 12:39pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
First car must start with a brand new or manage toks not fairly used.

Prestige and ease of maintainance are two opposite paths. Buy affordability, functionality and fuel economy first, then, you will know what prestige really means for you and be ready when to make the leap in future.

I would advice to forget company name and try brand new first. Enquire about innoson, geely, GAC and many of these companies. They have SPANKING NEW vehicles around your budget.
Also, since you like toyota, you can check brands like Hyundai. That budget will get you more recent and stylsh vehicles with wonderful economy. Infact hyundai is like Toyota copy. e.g. Check hyundai elantra versus toyota corolla design and performance similiraties.

All in all, stay away from nigerian drive anything.

6 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by livewithpurpose: 12:40pm On Dec 27, 2022
Privatepart00:

I concur. I got an Acura MDX 2010 model and I have never had any issues with the car. Service as at when due and go. The interior is also fantastic considering it is the luxury brand for Honda

2 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Slynation(m): 12:42pm On Dec 27, 2022
MansoryMX:

Some of you think German cars are cars. Fine, they are fast but not luxurious except the recent makes which Op can't afford. Make he go buy c300 of 2008 abi? When he easily 2012-2013 neat camry. C300 is dirty and dead car! That's the only car 4.5 can afford in Benz. [/b]Another set of useless cars are 2008-2012 is250, 2005-2009 rx350 and 2007-2011 es350
Please explain how are these cars useless...you might be saving a soul!!

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by kolaaderin: 12:43pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

Don't be confused, don't buy Nigerian used, buy a clean tokunbo cheaper cars and as reliable as the Toyota. Hyundai is doing it for many people now. I have a foreign used 11/12 Sonata for 4.8m and foreign used 08/09 Santa fe for 4.9m. You budget can get you this.
Buy Tokunbo I reapeat. Message me

2 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by 2kurupt(m): 12:46pm On Dec 27, 2022
Whatever your choice, avoid Nigerian used car, that budget should get you a sharp Tokunbo and peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by BigYash: 12:48pm On Dec 27, 2022
oluseyiforjesus:
Buying jeep as ur first car is not a good advice, for motivational speaker ooooo, start little bro, if u have left over from your budget use it to help d poor
See your own advice grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? / Man Destroys Maserati Because He Was Angry With Dealer (photos) / N90million Koenigsegg Regera’s Key Is The Most Expensive Car Key In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.