Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. (24874 Views)

Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by yahoodetector: 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2022
valarinz:

You drove an unhealthy XC90 then, stop using your reality to impose on everyone else.

If you couldn't keep an XC90 healthy and in good shape then you don't qualify to own any car at all or even dish out car advise

Now, stop embarrassing your lineage on a public forum, thanks

Because you sell the said vehicle in bulk?

Just say you are trying to protect your business interest.

Na you dey embarrass your lineage!
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by valarinz: 4:43pm On Dec 29, 2022
yahoodetector:

Because you sell the said vehicle in bulk?

Just say you are trying to protect your business interest.

Na you dey embarrass your lineage!

That puts me in a better position to give advise on its fuel consumption, don't you think?

Not in comparison to someone who used one unhealthy unit and is now generalising based on his sour experience.

There are thousands of corolla currently also "drinking fuel", don't you think?

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by yahoodetector: 6:29pm On Dec 29, 2022
valarinz:

That puts me in a better position to give advise on its fuel consumption, don't you think?

Not in comparison to someone who used one unhealthy unit and is now generalising based on his sour experience.

Here's a picture of the Google results with information on comparison of the fuel consumption of your Volvo XC90 and Toyota Highlander both of which are 2008 models.

No dey argue senselessly!

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by 2felix(m): 6:31pm On Dec 29, 2022
valarinz:

Oga i expected you to confirm from him the model and year of the said Volvo xc 90 that is fuel drunk. I suspect that he is comparing honda civic fuel economy with an V6 or V8 suv
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by valarinz: 6:51pm On Dec 29, 2022
2felix:

Oga i expected you to confirm from him the model and year of the said Volvo xc 90 that is fuel drunk. I suspect that he is comparing honda civic fuel economy with an V6 or V8 suv

No matter the model, his assertions are wrong

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by valarinz: 6:56pm On Dec 29, 2022
yahoodetector:

Here's a picture of the Google results with information on comparison of the fuel consumption of your Volvo XC90 and Toyota Highlander both of which are 2008 models.

Yet you keep disgracing yourself publicly and you have the nerve to call your better "senseless"

From your charts I see a difference of 4mpg on both highway and city, is that your definition of "fuel drunk"?

I always knew you were empty and ignorant, hence the reason why you are so loud and confident in your ignorance.

Also, get some free education, XC90 is a luxury SUV, next you'll pull up the fuel charts of a Honda CRV to embarrass yourself further

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Rinoxy: 7:20pm On Dec 29, 2022
valarinz:

The bolded is actually something nobody talks about o! As if Corolla cars are immuned to basic car issues.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by bimppyola: 8:39pm On Dec 29, 2022
patwilly:
I enjoin all forum members to actively contribute
my budget is 4.5M
the choices I am looking at are these :

1. Toyota Rav 4, (2011) Nigerian used. A friend is actually convinced this is the car I should buy as it fits nicely in terms of prestige and functionality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.

2. Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle) : I like this car and if it falls within my budget I'd happily buy it. The only negative here is I've been wanting an SUV to be my first car considering Lagos roads etc so I'm not totally sold on the idea of getting this car.

3. Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.

So that's it. I'd appreciate if forum members advice correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.

The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car.

I appreciate you all.

To check vin of any car

For comprehensive vehicle history report

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

For Custom Duty Verification
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Duty

https://verifyithq.com/lost-customs-papers/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by psalmson001: 11:21pm On Dec 29, 2022
yahoodetector:

Pssst psssst.....bros, abeg off your mic and stop embarassing yourself with all these online figures.
There is alot to mpg than just car brand. Your driving pattern, idling in traffic, engine health, even tyre size & air pressure, all these things are factors that affect mpg. Also, have it at the back of your mind that most of these online figures are based on certain factors which wont be stated. Also, shey you know say our type of fuel here different too, very poor grade. Let them come test these same vehicles in nigeria with nigerian drivers, and with our very poor grade petrol and trust me, you will get totally different figures.
People say corolla no dey chop fuel at all, but fact is its all dependent on your driving pattern. I own a corolla, and im a heavy footer. Full tank that will last some peoaple one month, i will finish it in one week covering same mileage. I also owned a xc90 v8 (for travelling) and when people ask me about its fuel consumption, i tell them "na as you take match am e go take drink fuel", which is same for every vehicle.

2 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Rinoxy: 11:27pm On Dec 29, 2022
psalmson001:

Pssst psssst.....bros, abeg off your mic and stop embarassing yourself with all these online figures.
There is alot to mpg than just car brand. Your driving pattern, idling in traffic, engine health, even tyre size & air pressure, all these things are factors that affect mpg. Also, have it at the back of your mind that most of these online figures are based on certain factors which wont be stated. Also, shey you know say our type of fuel here different too, very poor grade. Let them come test these same vehicles in nigeria with nigerian drivers, and with our very poor grade petrol and trust me, you will get totally different figures.
People say corolla no dey chop fuel at all, but fact is its all dependent on your driving pattern. I own a corolla, and im a heavy footer. Full tank that will last some peoaple one month, i will finish it in one week covering same mileage. I also owned a xc90 v8 (for travelling) and when people ask me about its fuel consumption, i tell them "na as you take match am e go take drink fuel", which is same for every vehicle.
Na as u take match am e go take drink fuel. Hmmmm, I hear you sir.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by 2felix(m): 9:19am On Dec 30, 2022
psalmson001:

Really thought provoking.
But please sir i will like to further my education on your Volvo xc90 v8 experiences as it remains my dream car
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by psalmson001: 11:20am On Dec 30, 2022
2felix:

Really thought provoking.
But please sir i will like to further my education on your Volvo xc90 v8 experiences as it remains my dream car

First of all, why exactly are you considering the v8? Whats attracting you to it?
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Ghideourn(m): 12:49pm On Dec 30, 2022
For sale or swap
Lagos - 08086429763
1.2M last price

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Tzar91: 5:27pm On Dec 30, 2022
MansoryMX:

Do your research and look for a reputable car dealer who deals in cars. Get yourself a clean few months used 2012 Toyota camry sport version and thank me later. Don't go for any lexus, benz or BMW else you will regret your life. As for the Rav4, the only model I can advise you to buy that can suits a your lad is 2014 model upwards and you don't have the money. Lastly if you can top up the money to 5m then I will gladly advice you to go for Toyota venza V4 engine. It's way better than the camry but both cars are fuel economical, cheap maintenance and not one single fault to worry about. I have both cars. Although my Venza is v6 but the v4 of is even preferable than v6.

Run away from Benz and Lexus. Both will send you to your village bro.
I am contemplating buy 2012 camry sports or lexus by January, this ur comment is very helpful, am going for camry, thanks alot
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Michael547(m): 4:39am On Dec 31, 2022
Tzar91:

I am contemplating buy 2012 camry sports or lexus by January, this ur comment is very helpful, am going for camry, thanks alot
I can help you with professional Pre-purchase car inspection sir when you are ready to buy....here is my contact 08167469103
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:23pm On Jan 11, 2023
Nwadu:
Are you married
yes I am
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:23pm On Jan 11, 2023
ibkayee:
Toyotas aren't known for prestige or aesthetics, they're known for being economical and reliable with low maintenance, so at least you get 2/4 requirements ticked

I'd go with the Camry
Thanks ibkayee. you are a gem.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:24pm On Jan 11, 2023
IslamIsIdiotic:
I'm surprised you're not considering a Highlander.

I am but the general consensus on here seems to be a Camry.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:25pm On Jan 11, 2023
Princeton92:
From your options go for Toyota Camry 2012

But outside that I'd recommend Toyota Corolla 2014/2015.

You're welcome!!!
Thanks Princeton92. Appreciate your comment.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:26pm On Jan 11, 2023
XOGBADO:

Exactly my thoughts. How can one talk about all those qualities without considering the Highlander
Which of the years of Highlander are you recommending?
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:28pm On Jan 11, 2023
MansoryMX:

Do your research and look for a reputable car dealer who deals in cars. Get yourself a clean few months used 2012 Toyota camry sport version and thank me later. Don't go for any lexus, benz or BMW else you will regret your life. As for the Rav4, the only model I can advise you to buy that can suits a your lad is 2014 model upwards and you don't have the money. Lastly if you can top up the money to 5m then I will gladly advice you to go for Toyota venza V4 engine. It's way better than the camry but both cars are fuel economical, cheap maintenance and not one single fault to worry about. I have both cars. Although my Venza is v6 but the v4 of is even preferable than v6.

Run away from Benz and Lexus. Both will send you to your village bro.
Thank you so much bro. sound advice
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:31pm On Jan 11, 2023
danhans:
Good day with my little experience about cars I will advice you to buy a 4cylinder car,possibly a Toyota Corolla or Toyota Highlander Belgium.
As a beginner Nigerian use should be a no go area because you have no experience about cars and you might fall prey to monsters
As a beginner forget about prestige also because when the car start developing fault prestige won't be there anymore
My little advice enjoy your day
Thanks so kindly sir
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 4:33pm On Jan 11, 2023
Dramadiddy:
pls don’t take this advice OP
of course not. I've remonstrated with him earlier and expressed my reservations at his bad behavior.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Nwadu: 5:02pm On Jan 11, 2023
patwilly:

yes I am

Ok... You can go ahead... That's a step in the right direction
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 7:37am On Jan 12, 2023
Privatepart00:

Acura MDX either 2009 or 2010 model .
Acura RDX either 2009 or 2010 model.
This matches what you looking for.

Someone buying sedan in this country will regret later
Remind me of my friend who said is either Lexus ES330 or nothing.
He can’t drive the car in peace now.
He doesn’t want to raise suspension or change tires either
Ordinary to pass speed bump is war .
Thanks bro for your advice. can I ask what maintenance of the Acura is like?
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 7:39am On Jan 12, 2023
Nnatuu:
Listen carefully...

If youre above 5.8ft in height, and drive for over an hour to work,...then avoid rav4 or corolla, because of leg room and comfort.

And getting any of the two(Nigerian used) with 4.5m budget is not a smart move.....

Focus on Camry...get a good one(tokunbo), put it in great shape...and thank me later. any model from 2008 is fine, forget this your aesthetics talk...I have 013 Highlander currently, and its not more valuablethan my 09 Camry which by far gives betterbbalance on the road, smooth driving, ease of maintenance and second hand value.

Buy Tokunbo, not Nigerian used, thennuse 17 rim or 16 with a high tyre...then yiure good..

This is my advice based on the ones i've used personally, not stories i read online.

Good bye.

Thank you sir
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 7:52am On Jan 12, 2023
EstateVerify:

With a budget of 4.5 million, you are not prestigious, and shouldn't be concerned about prestige. It is your life though, stop living for what people will say or think..

Whatever you buy, don't buy a Nigerian used vehicle.

I know you came here to make us tell you to buy the Rav4. You are looking for validation, just like your prestige assertions. It is your life, and you will bear the brunts, sadly, you go still come worry us how your car is stopping at your inlaws gate.

Lastly, do not buy a vehicle without inspection. There is the assumption that Belgium vehicles don't have problems. You are only buying abroad problems. Make sure they are not major.

If all the budget for car is 4.5 million.

Get a vehicle for 4 million, use 500k for general repairs.

So many use their last card to buy cars, forgetting they need to fix the suspension, change tyres, change the fluids, register the vehicle, get insurance. They are suddenly faced with reality and return broke.

BTW, congratulations. Hope you've tied more investments to what's made you raise 4.5m.... Invest in your business. I Don try.

Compliments of the season.
Thank you kind sir. Appreciate your comment.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by XOGBADO(m): 8:39am On Jan 12, 2023
patwilly:

Which of the years of Highlander are you recommending?
You can go for the 2005 or 2008 model. They are both reliable.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Privatepart00: 10:30pm On Jan 12, 2023
patwilly:

Thanks bro for your advice. can I ask what maintenance of the Acura is like?

Using the recommended oil , would save you lots of headache .
Driving 2001 MDX since Nov 2012 till date aside changing brakepad , oil change , tyres etc no issue has happened to the engine before . Still firing till date .
Also driving 2007 RDX since Aug 2014 till date no major issue has been worked on the car ,aside occasional maintenance the vehicle is still in top shape .
NB : always use the recommended oil and fluids you absolutely be fine .
Endeavor to check your dashboard while driving very important.
Both vehicles are in the South Eastern part of Nigeria.
You can also register as a member in Acurazine where you get to learn from other owners the issue they have faced in their Acura and how they solved it .

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by DECLAN2015(m): 5:38am On Jan 13, 2023
AK481:
Buy your camry in peace .
Your first car should be a car that an average mechanic will understand inside out and won't cheat you.

Go to express,count 100 cars coming ,the most common ones among your choices is the one you go for .

Just say corolla.....heaven no go fall
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by DECLAN2015(m): 5:41am On Jan 13, 2023
macaranta:
If by first car you also will be putting an "L" behind it ,I'd advice you use like 1.5m to 2m to buy a Honda/camry...when you are conversant with cars (driving,maintenance,etc) you will be in a better position to pick another vehicle in like 2years time.

Wisdom
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by BlackMan6969(m): 2:07pm On Jan 13, 2023
DECLAN2015:

Just say corolla.....heaven no go fall
hehehehehe...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ECU Stolen / Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? / Man Destroys Maserati Because He Was Angry With Dealer (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.