Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,462 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. (24837 Views)

Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? / Tips On Buying A Used Mercedes Benz Car - The Pros And Cons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 8:47am On Dec 17, 2022
I enjoin all forum members to actively contribute
my budget is 4.5M
the choices I am looking at are these :

1. Toyota Rav 4, (2011) Nigerian used. A friend is actually convinced this is the car I should buy as it fits nicely in terms of prestige and functionality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.

2. Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle) : I like this car and if it falls within my budget I'd happily buy it. The only negative here is I've been wanting an SUV to be my first car considering Lagos roads etc so I'm not totally sold on the idea of getting this car.

3. Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.

So that's it. I'd appreciate if forum members advice correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.

The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car.

I appreciate you all.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Timagex(m): 9:37am On Dec 17, 2022
I believe you are looking at the wrong cars. If you want prestige, you are looking at the wrong cars o. Kindly pitch your tent with Lexus or Mercedes Benz. Also, ease of maintenance is not part of the benchmark of some luxury cars.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by buygala(m): 10:21am On Dec 17, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M
1. Toyota Rav 4, (2011) Nigerian used. A friend is actually convinced this is the car I should buy as it fits nicely in terms of prestige and functionality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.
2. Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle) : I like this car and if it falls within my budget I'd happily buy it. The only negative here is I've been wanting an SUV to be my first car considering Lagos roads etc so I'm not totally sold on the idea of getting this car.
3. Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.
So that's it. I'd appreciate if forum members advice correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.
The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car. I appreciate you all.

Your confusion is confusing me sef.. You seem not to have made up your mind on what kind of car you want..

Pending when you get your thoughts together, buy Nigerian used Nissan Murano make sufferness clear your head small.

Or you can make up your mind and get a good specimen of any of the cars you have mentioned..They are all good vehicles in their own individual rights.. Gbogbo confusion yi ko necestri.

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by naturalwaves: 11:06am On Dec 17, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M
The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car. I appreciate you all.

First and foremost, you need to erase the notion that a certain kind of car is meant for a woman and another kind is meant for a man. The vehicle you drive is none of anyone's business. What you should be concerned about is functionality.

For me, I do not like SUV and I like the ES350 Lexus sedan cos of the centre of gravity things but if you drive in Lagos, your best bet is an SUV. It is more sensible to get something that's around 8 inches off the ground because of clearance advantage and to save yourself all the mechanic visits and all.

For me also, any vehicle below 2010 manufacture year is a NO No No. This is 2022/2023. Imagine buying a vehicle that was manufactured 15 years plus ago. If you like highlander , why not get one that is a bit more recent.

I do not think the RAV 4 is a bad buy. You can customize it to look aggressive. I have a colleague that drives one. Easy to maintain but everything is plastic . If you're not too concerned about aesthetics, you may get it.

Also, being your first car, I think your focus should be functionality for now then when you want to buy another vehicle , you may consider aesthetics and all.

91 Likes 7 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 1:20pm On Dec 17, 2022
naturalwaves:

First and foremost, you need to erase the notion that a certain kind of car is meant for a woman and another kind is meant for a man. The vehicle you drive is none of anyone's business. What you should be concerned about is functionality.

For me, I do not like SUV and I like the ES350 Lexus sedan cos of the centre of gravity things but if you drive in Lagos, your best bet is an SUV. It is more sensible to get something that's around 8 inches off the ground because of clearance advantage and to save yourself all the mechanic visits and all.

For me also, any vehicle below 2010 manufacture year is a NO No No. This is 2022/2023. Imagine buying a vehicle that was manufactured 15 years plus ago. If you like highlander , why not get one that is a bit more recent.

I do not think the RAV 4 is a bad buy. You can customize it to look aggressive. I have a colleague that drives one. Easy to maintain but everything is plastic . If you're not too concerned about aesthetics, you may get it.

Also, being your first car, I think your focus should be functionality for now then when you want to buy another vehicle , you may consider aesthetics and all.
Thank you for your comment. But if you were me and considering the budget which car would you go for?

4 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 1:22pm On Dec 17, 2022
buygala:

Your confusion is confusing me sef.. You seem not to have made up your mind on what kind of car you want..

Pending when you get your thoughts together, buy Nigerian used Nissan Murano make sufferness clear your head small.

Or you can make up your mind and get a good specimen of any of the cars you have mentioned..They are all good vehicles in their own individual rights.. Gbogbo confusion yi ko necestri.
buygala I dey disappointed in your comment. Me and you don tey for this forum and I respect you a lot. I no expect this kind comment from you at all.

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by naturalwaves: 1:39pm On Dec 17, 2022
patwilly:

Thank you for your comment. But if you were me and considering the budget which car would you go for?
Where do you stay?
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by buygala(m): 2:54pm On Dec 17, 2022
patwilly:

buygala I dey disappointed in your comment. Me and you don tey for this forum and I respect you a lot. I no expect this kind comment from you at all.

Dont expect anything from me Sir

Only God never fails

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 6:36pm On Dec 17, 2022
naturalwaves:

Where do you stay?
Lagos.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 6:37pm On Dec 17, 2022
buygala:

Only God never fails
Alright.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by cmoney22222: 7:09pm On Dec 17, 2022
Seems you love the Toyota.

If I were me I buy the Toyota Camry 2018 or Honda Accord 2017 sport.

Op check this cars out

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by kisscivic(m): 7:19pm On Dec 17, 2022
cmoney22222:

Op check this cars out

With a budget of ₦4.5 million abi

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by cmoney22222: 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2022
Ewo , my bad biko… I didn’t even think about the budget before recommending. Anyways oo Go for your mind. Whatever you do just buy a toks.

Blessings on you

kisscivic:

With a budget of ₦4.5 million abi

11 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by vivalavida(m): 9:10pm On Dec 17, 2022
Have u bought the pajero yet? I can see some last year thread of yours alternating between 2007 and 2011 pajero. Who wants a status car and thinks of a pajero.

Baba u just dey whyne everybody for here jare.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Foodie1(m): 1:55am On Dec 18, 2022
The budget can get you a neatly Nigerian used Mercedes-Benz 2008 350, or Honda Crv 2009 model unless u like Toyota cars .
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Hondajosh: 4:50am On Dec 18, 2022
Get the 2013 Honda accord.

22 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Dozieson(m): 5:11am On Dec 18, 2022
As your first car, try and get a sound toks ride. I will not advise you to buy a Nigerian used car. Look for a good toks car within your budget range

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by RZArecta(m): 7:22am On Dec 18, 2022
Forget the opinions of your friends and prestige, what you need is something within your budget, functional, an SUV, fun to drive, parts yakpa with considerate pricing and fun to drive. They might laugh or call it fugly but you know the beast under the hood. Volvo XC90 2007/08 will fit your budget very nicely. Contact valarinzautos and thank me later cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 8:22am On Dec 18, 2022
cmoney22222:

Op check this cars out
The price will be way above my budget?
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Wisdom2003: 10:43pm On Dec 19, 2022
1 You need to examine if you are buying the car for yourself or to please your friends.

2. You must understand that you worked for the money, hence you can comfort yourself a bit.

3. Your first car should be a direct Tokunbo.

4. You can start with Camry 09-11or the Highlander because it’s a sin for you to turn Kazeem’sshop to your office.

patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M
1. Toyota Ra) Nigerian used. A friend is actuallnality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.

13 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by patwilly(m): 9:58pm On Dec 23, 2022
Wisdom2003:

1 You need to examine if you are buying the car for yourself or to please your friends.

2. You must understand that you worked for the money, hence you can comfort yourself a bit.

3. Your first car should be a direct Tokunbo.

4. You can start with Camry 09-11or the Highlander because it’s a sin for you to turn Kazeem’sshop to your office.

Thank you very much sir for your advice. I appreciate you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by odimbannamdi(m): 7:07am On Dec 24, 2022
RZArecta:
Forget the opinions of your friends and prestige, what you need is something within your budget, functional, an SUV, fun to drive, parts yakpa with considerate pricing and fun to drive. They might laugh or call it fugly but you know the beast under the hood. Volvo XC90 2007/08 will fit your budget very nicely. Contact valarinzautos and thank me later cool

OP, take this advise.

I got a 2006 Volvo Xc90 early this year and it was a very good decision. For a car that age, it was very neat, solid, with beautiful interior and drives gallantry. I have had owners of highlanders enter my car and the sight of the dashboard leaves them very impressed. Hoping to upgrade to the 08 model next year so I can have a feel of the V8 engine... wink

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by RZArecta(m): 9:18am On Dec 24, 2022
odimbannamdi:

OP, take this advise.

I got a 2006 Volvo Xc90 early this year and it was a very good decision. For a car that age, it was very neat, solid, with beautiful interior and drives gallantry. I have had owners of highlanders enter my car and the sight of the dashboard leaves them very impressed. Hoping to upgrade to the 08 model next year so I can have a feel of the V8 engine... wink
that V8 engine by 2am on third mainland bridge grin

9 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by saysugar(m): 12:02pm On Dec 24, 2022
buygala:

Only God never fails
hmm correct fact
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by oluseyiforjesus(m): 11:03am On Dec 27, 2022
Buying jeep as ur first car is not a good advice, for motivational speaker ooooo, start little bro, if u have left over from your budget use it to help d poor

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Pells1: 11:04am On Dec 27, 2022
K
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by bigdammyj: 11:04am On Dec 27, 2022
Reading...
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by seanwilliam(m): 11:04am On Dec 27, 2022
Well, go for Lexus es 350 2010 or Lexus rx 350 2008
Up your budget to 5m.

8 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by harley88(m): 11:04am On Dec 27, 2022
I’m an Honda fan so I’d advice you for the tokunbo of the Honda Civic 2012 model. Change go still remain from the 4.5.
Or you go for the naija used 2013/14 Honda Accord. Change no suppose remain.
These cars are easy to maintain and also command some prestige.

I would have advised VW Jetta 2013, but maintenance might be an issue esp for a first time owner.

5 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Viridis(m): 11:04am On Dec 27, 2022
I advice you to buy bicycle instead with the money because of too much traffic jam, bicycle will take you faster to your destination

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by yungz: 11:05am On Dec 27, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ECU Stolen / BMW 7 Series Facelift: Everything You Need To Know / 5 Advantages Of Driving An Innoson Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.