Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,132 members, 7,811,198 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. (24815 Views)

Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? / Tips On Buying A Used Mercedes Benz Car - The Pros And Cons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by SamuelLoch: 12:48pm On Dec 27, 2022
@patwilly
On your list, I would pick the Rav4. I don't understand the feminine part. Na color pink you wan buy?

Whichever you conclude, buy Tokumbo or a well-maintained Naija used.
Good luck!

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Munzy14(m): 12:59pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
I enjoin all forum members to actively contribute
my budget is 4.5M
the choices I am looking at are these :

1. Toyota Rav 4, (2011) Nigerian used. A friend is actually convinced this is the car I should buy as it fits nicely in terms of prestige and functionality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.

2. Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle) : I like this car and if it falls within my budget I'd happily buy it. The only negative here is I've been wanting an SUV to be my first car considering Lagos roads etc so I'm not totally sold on the idea of getting this car.

3. Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.

So that's it. I'd appreciate if forum members advice correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.

The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car.

I appreciate you all.
Lexus Rx330 is your best bet.

Or a Toyota highlander.

These are cars with durability, cool prestige and maintenance.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Nnatuu: 1:00pm On Dec 27, 2022
Listen carefully...

If youre above 5.8ft in height, and drive for over an hour to work,...then avoid rav4 or corolla, because of leg room and comfort.

And getting any of the two(Nigerian used) with 4.5m budget is not a smart move.....

Focus on Camry...get a good one(tokunbo), put it in great shape...and thank me later. any model from 2008 is fine, forget this your aesthetics talk...I have 013 Highlander currently, and its not more valuablethan my 09 Camry which by far gives betterbbalance on the road, smooth driving, ease of maintenance and second hand value.

Buy Tokunbo, not Nigerian used, thennuse 17 rim or 16 with a high tyre...then yiure good..

This is my advice based on the ones i've used personally, not stories i read online.

Good bye.

8 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Youngzedd(m): 1:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

1. Toyota Rav 4, (2011) Nigerian used. A friend is actually convinced this is the car I should buy as it fits nicely in terms of prestige and functionality. However, I'm not fully convinced as per buying a Nigerian used car and also because I'm not really taken to the RAV4 as I see it as not a masculine car.

2. Toyota Camry 2011 or 2012 (muscle) : I like this car and if it falls within my budget I'd happily buy it. The only negative here is I've been wanting an SUV to be my first car considering Lagos roads etc so I'm not totally sold on the idea of getting this car.

3. Toyota Highlander full option (2007) Direct Belgium or Nigerian used: Now this is the car I I'm most taken to. However, Friends are of the opinion that it is an old car (being 2007) and is gradually being phased out. Also the fact the car does not exactly convey much in terms of prestige etc.

So that's it. I'd appreciate if forum members advice correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.

The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, prestige/aesthetics of the car.

I appreciate you all.

Avoid 9ja used car like a plague, since its your first car I recommend foreign Honda Civic or any that's not 9ja used.

Don't let your village people succeed with 9ja used car.

4 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Oluseglon(m): 1:10pm On Dec 27, 2022
Just go for Camry 2012/2013. Still falls within that budget I believe and you’re good to go. Maintenance is cost friendly too and of course durability is confirmed
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by jmichael259(m): 1:14pm On Dec 27, 2022
ChiabiamaNedum:
I need a family car and the more I read opinions, the more confusion. How about Ford products? May be Ford Escape?

Ford has strong engine but availability &affordability of parts and mechanic is the problem.
Asian cars (japanese & korean) dominate nigerian market e.g. Toyota, nissan, hyundai etc because they're cheap, fuel economy and tolerate the suffering on our roads. You can tie something with thread or wire and drive it for years. Lolz but don't do it o!
As naija roads concern, buy only bus or suv. Nothing low or fancy. E get why.
Slynation:
Please explain how are these cars useless...you might be saving a soul!!

All that glitters is not gold. Most of those overhyped vehicles are trash that need the hype to be sold off to gullible people. They are not daily drivers. If you don't have money to buy new and drop em cleanly under a few months/years, then better stay off. They're just effizy not for upcoming hustlers.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Brownshoe: 1:19pm On Dec 27, 2022
Why buying 4.5m car as first timer, buy Golf 4, keep the change, go out and do some shopping buy nice watch, shoe, belt,clothes, buy landed property somewhere, eat good food

Dancok advising
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by jossytech(m): 1:22pm On Dec 27, 2022
Get 09 Corolla or 010
07 Corolla
Unless unless muscle is V6 with perfect state, V6 used will gulp your finances
4 plus mucke will drink oil coz the body big pass d engine capacity
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by LaconicINC: 1:27pm On Dec 27, 2022
naturalwaves:

You will take Hyundai to the service centre should anything happen. Not a big deal. I've had a close family member drive Accent for 8 straight years with no issue whatsoever. The cars are generally reliable.

One thing about cars is to be generally lucky

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by LaconicINC: 1:29pm On Dec 27, 2022
jmichael259:

Ford has strong engine but availability &affordability of parts and mechanic is the problem.
Asian cars (japanese & korean) dominate nigerian market e.g. Toyota, nissan, hyundai etc because they're cheap, fuel economy and tolerate the suffering on our roads. You can tie something with thread or wire and drive it for years. Lolz but don't do it o!
As naija roads concern, buy only bus or suv. Nothing low or fancy. E get why.

All that glitters is not gold. Most of those overhyped vehicles are trash that need the hype to be sold off to gullible people. They are not daily drivers. If you don't have money to buy new and drop em cleanly under a few months/years, then better stay off. They're just effizy not for upcoming hustlers.

Omo you know your onions! Ford issue is spare parts and lack of qualified mechanics and auto electricians!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by naturalwaves: 1:45pm On Dec 27, 2022
LaconicINC:

One thing about cars is to be generally lucky
I get.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by IamtheTruth1(m): 1:48pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

You dey find prestige you dey mention Toyota . Go for BMW, Lexus and Benz na
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Timagex(m): 1:51pm On Dec 27, 2022
MansoryMX:

You are not a good person cheesy

grin grin

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by grubby221: 1:57pm On Dec 27, 2022
odimbannamdi:

OP, take this advise.

I got a 2006 Volvo Xc90 early this year and it was a very good decision. For a car that age, it was very neat, solid, with beautiful interior and drives gallantry. I have had owners of highlanders enter my car and the sight of the dashboard leaves them very impressed. Hoping to upgrade to the 08 model next year so I can have a feel of the V8 engine... wink

How much did you buy it and what is the current price now?
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by freenature: 1:57pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

So that's it. I'd appreciate it if forum members advise correctly on any of these three car models or recommend something else. Kindly highlight the merits/demerits of buying the foreign used or Nigerian used version of any car you'd recommend.

The attributes I'm looking out for are Functionality, ease of Maintenance, and prestige/aesthetics of the car.

I appreciate you all.

don't go for an SUV or Mini SUV, go for a saloon car that is going to be maintainable for you. Remember the way things are right now in Naija. Also, think about depreciation cost and parts in case of an eventuality.

N: B---- Stop getting worked up about prestige or whatever. What you should be worried about is maintaining what you are going to have and what is yours. No one will help you fix your car when it brakes down, everyone will find a different route when things go south on your car.

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Acehart: 2:00pm On Dec 27, 2022
You have to be patient. Do a proper research before you buy any car. You have to think of comfort, frequency of maintenance, second-hand value, your path between office and home etc. I guess someone who wants to spend 4,5m doesn’t have an issue with fuel consumption, so don’t be pulled in with many people who know cars by hearsay and not by experience.

You would hear a lot about Acura MDX 2007-2013. Avoid the car, it has crazy electrical issues, inferior material used for the upholstery and heat sensitive on-board screen. Fuel consumption is quite high, if you don’t mind.

You might be tempted by Lexus RX350. It wasn’t made for bad roads. It has weak suspensions (you have to replace quite often) which will in turn affect your tires and rims. You would need to replace the radiator as it often comes with a single cell radiator. Get a double cell radiator so that you save the life of the engine. Get a 2009 option if you absolutely like them.

Toyota, uhm! apart from its high second hand value and overrated fuel economy, I don’t know what is so exceptional about the models your money can afford. Their safety ratings are poor, the drive comfort is poor, poor design, their parts are inferior and need frequent replacement etc. Avoid the Camry option between 2005-2008.

Benz. Go for ML350, 2011 model. The errors of the previous models have been corrected. You can’t go wrong with it. The only issue here is you can't tell people you are broke- people will always beg you for money.

A Hyundai Santa Fe. It’s a very good everyday car. Don’t worry about spare parts if you live in Lagos.

-Buy a foreign used SUV and maintain them properly

6 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by odimbannamdi(m): 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
grubby221:

How much did you buy it and what is the current price now?

Sadly, i wont be revealing that information here. Apologies. Please speak with Valarinz and he will update you on pricing. I actually got it from him

1 Like

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by LaSenior: 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
naturalwaves:

First and foremost, you need to erase the notion that a certain kind of car is meant for a woman and another kind is meant for a man. The vehicle you drive is none of anyone's business. What you should be concerned about is functionality.

For me, I do not like SUV and I like the ES350 Lexus sedan cos of the centre of gravity things but if you drive in Lagos, your best bet is an SUV. It is more sensible to get something that's around 8 inches off the ground because of clearance advantage and to save yourself all the mechanic visits and all.

For me also, any vehicle below 2010 manufacture year is a NO No No. This is 2022/2023. Imagine buying a vehicle that was manufactured 15 years plus ago. If you like highlander , why not get one that is a bit more recent.

I do not think the RAV 4 is a bad buy. You can customize it to look aggressive. I have a colleague that drives one. Easy to maintain but everything is plastic . If you're not too concerned about aesthetics, you may get it.

Also, being your first car, I think your focus should be functionality for now then when you want to buy another vehicle , you may consider aesthetics and all.
me nko wey still Dey drive 22years old car seinna 1998 model AC still chilling moving fine and I still don't bother about bad road because e no concern me car was bought since 2017 at 1.650million Naira I never regretted buying that ride you can still drive old cars well pimped and maintained

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by naturalwaves: 2:17pm On Dec 27, 2022
LaSenior:
me nko wey still Dey drive 22years old car seinna 1998 model AC still chilling moving fine and I still don't bother about bad road because e no concern me car was bought since 2017 at 1.650million Naira I never regretted buying that ride you can still drive old cars well pimped and maintained
Lol@he no concern you grin
You're so funny bro.
I understand you. Maintenance is very important as well. Even if you give some people a vehicle manufactured 5 years ago, dem go spoil am.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by snoopz: 2:23pm On Dec 27, 2022
You're planning on your prestige and you have 4.5m is this a joke? Bros get that Camry 2012 the car make sense if your area no too good, raise the absorbers and enjoy your life
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Moseshasss: 3:11pm On Dec 27, 2022
This guy came to get further confusion...

Now tell me which one are you going to buy with all these ideas..

5 Likes

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by yahoodetector: 3:31pm On Dec 27, 2022
odimbannamdi:

OP, take this advise.

I got a 2006 Volvo Xc90 early this year and it was a very good decision. For a car that age, it was very neat, solid, with beautiful interior and drives gallantry. I have had owners of highlanders enter my car and the sight of the dashboard leaves them very impressed. Hoping to upgrade to the 08 model next year so I can have a feel of the V8 engine... wink

That vehicle that guzzles fuel like a toad undecided
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by XTHRONE(m): 3:31pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

Black Toyota Highlander in Enugu, hit me up, very good condition,nice interior, good engine, fairly used, price affordable, good millage. no scam,. 09157073058

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by CarGuideNG: 3:48pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

Planning to buy a car?

Comprehensive VIN Checks & Reports

https://www.carguide.ng

+2347011116171 [Direct WhatsApp Chat Link In Signature]

Available 24 Hours

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by ViktorCash: 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2022
Let him use that money and Japa. The country is gone angry
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Ransomtheking(m): 3:53pm On Dec 27, 2022
Waka
tishbite42:
Or patapata
Take the money run two odds
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by PRODUTIM1(m): 3:59pm On Dec 27, 2022
Car lovers
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Wealthoptulent(m): 4:29pm On Dec 27, 2022
patwilly:
my budget is 4.5M

I appreciate you all.

Well all cars are good. Once you get yourself familiarize with it brand and availability of mechanical attention could be received withing ur environment and also budget after purchase [e fit replace ur wife monthly attention place oo].

I have 9months used direct from [NONACCIDENT] Canada DIRECT HYUNDAI 2008 AWD LIMITED. , not even upto your budget of 4.5M. DM ME ASAP

Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Slymonster(m): 4:44pm On Dec 27, 2022
SpatialKing:
Go for Honda Civil

Forget the noise about Toyota Corolla

Is civil good for uber?
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by Kwara1stson: 5:02pm On Dec 27, 2022
MansoryMX:

Some of you think German cars are cars. Fine, they are fast but not luxurious except the recent makes which Op can't afford. Make he go buy c300 of 2008 abi? When he easily 2012-2013 neat camry. C300 is dirty and dead car! That's the only car 4.5 can afford in Benz. Another set of useless cars are 2008-2012 is250, 2005-2009 rx350 and 2007-2011 es350.
which one your papa fit afford.
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by ojladi(m): 6:13pm On Dec 27, 2022
U wan use Nissan Murano kii this upcoming guy ni���

Your confusion is confusing me sef.. You seem not to have made up your mind on what kind of car you want..

Pending when you get your thoughts together, buy Nigerian used Nissan Murano make sufferness clear your head small.

Or you can make up your mind and get a good specimen of any of the cars you have mentioned..They are all good vehicles in their own individual rights.. Gbogbo confusion yi ko necestri. [/quote]
Re: He Wants Advice On Buying His First Car. by largeman4u(m): 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2022
The best Car you can have as a first Car is a Toyota Corolla.

You can buy from us @largemanmotors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This N110m Jayco Embark RV Is A Mansion On Wheels (photos) / ECU Stolen / BMW 7 Series Facelift: Everything You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.