Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) (31497 Views)

Which Of These Local Snacks Did You Enjoy As A Child? (pics) / Party Guests Served Food From A Hot Stove In Nigeria (Video) / Nigerian Food Combinations That You Haven't Tried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Foodie1(m): 8:19pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fried plantain and egg sauce.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Curious345: 8:22pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fried Irish potatoes with roasted chicken breast

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by metalgear11(m): 8:22pm On Dec 19, 2022
All of the igbo soups.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Probz(m): 8:24pm On Dec 19, 2022
Dybala11:

Gbegiri almost Nupe?? grin
By the way, have you eaten "efo riro" before??

I have. One thing I’d say is that Igbo people tend to be somewhat more fond of cooking food with turkey more than Yorubas (and torotoro, in-turn, is probably more popular in Imo State than anywhere-else, especially with their Christmas stews and jellof rice) and that’s another important factor when it comes to making certain types of soup/maximising their taste and so I would like to see more efo-riro cooked with that than just major cow-roundabouts (which are still very important for what they are). With certain of even those higher-ranking Yoruba foods I just get the vibe that an Owerri or Awka woman could just make it better given a bit more direct exposure to whatever the food is so I can be a bit sheepish in ascribing a great deal of credit to Yorubas for foods beyond the good take so many of them have more general/shared Nigerian foods (moi-moi, akara, rice, stews) unless they’re from Ondo/Ekiti (they really do have a lot of good native foods) but for what it is now efo riro is actually a very sweet one and I enjoy it.
Ekiti people are more likely to serve it with e/agidi, yam and rice, whereas other Yorubas (I don’t think efo-riro is particularly common with Ondo folk, so obviously apart from them) tend to go more with utara-ji/eba as a side-food; am I right?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by BigCowHornn: 8:25pm On Dec 19, 2022
Beans and bread
Afang soup... calabar style
Banga soup

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Mckandre(m): 8:27pm On Dec 19, 2022
baralatie:

Preparation styles are different for each tribes though
igbos preparation is the best qoute me anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Bintdawood(f): 8:28pm On Dec 19, 2022
mariahAngel:

Thank you.

What about the ingredient that gives it the sweet taste?
That is what does it for me. grin

You welcome.

Sorry i forgot to mention honey and grounded groundnut.
But u see some people add sugar to the paste. But those ones with sweeeeet taste is vedan, its a seasoning, idk if you know it sha.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Probz(m): 8:28pm On Dec 19, 2022
Mckandre:
igbos preparation is the best qoute me anywhere.

I’m not going to not quote you, like. Akwa Ibom and Ondo people do a quite banging egusi, too. Delta for egusi pepper-soup.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Bahamas95(m): 8:29pm On Dec 19, 2022
SocialJustice:
Lol, which one is tomi fish? I prefer it with pomo, cow head, periwinkle and dried river fish. Those very expensive fish that cost up to N200k. That fish is good in banga soup too. Owho spooks non indigenes a lot compared to banga.
I don't know if I got the spelling correctly but that's how the Urhobos call it......It has this kinda soured taste when eaten like that but tastes differently and better in owho soup. It's regarded as big man fish by the Urhobos. I am very sure Simplepee will understand what am trying to explain.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by IGBOSON1: 8:33pm On Dec 19, 2022
Liron:
Tea and bread.

Liron keeping things simple!

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by mariahAngel(f): 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2022
Bintdawood:

You welcome.

Sorry i forgot to mention honey and grounded groundnut.
But u see some people add sugar to the paste.

But those ones with sweeeeet taste is vedan, its a seasoning, idk if you know it sha.

OK. Thanks. smiley

That's monosodium glutamate.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Mckandre(m): 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2022
Probz:

I’m not going to not quote you, like. Akwa Ibom and Ondo people do a quite banging egusi, too. Delta for egusi pepper-soup.
grin no mind me, the one i ate at paiko one time for Niger during camp killed my tastebuds instantly, relinquishing my crave for other tribe egusi.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by SunTzu123(m): 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2022
Tuwo Masara, tuwo shinkafa and fura de nunu, though I'm not Hausa.
Amala/ewedu with titus fish or ogunfe) though I'm not Yoruba.
Ikpangkwukwo, though I'm not efik
Octopus (it tastes like snail) though I'm not Chinese.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by MyAmericandream(f): 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2022
Urheadmaster:

Well prepared Amala and ewedu soup can make you bite off your fingers tongue

Jesu! Dem fit use this food kidnap me. I never get full.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Osariemen12: 8:40pm On Dec 19, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Have you eaten ego-riro?

No at all. Will not in this lifetime.
Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by DanAugust2021: 8:41pm On Dec 19, 2022
Cutehector:
Fisherman soup!

Banga soup!

Afang soup!
I enjoyed Fisherman's soup, Ataama, White soup, Ekpang kuko( don't know if I got the spelling right), during my stay in Akwa Ibom State. Akwa Ibomites can cook. Mfon, I really miss your delicacies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by CrystalMax: 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2022
(Rivers state) Native Soup.
Afang soup

Kai, these 2 soups are the best soup in the world. cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Dybala11(m): 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2022
Probz:

I have. One thing I’d say is that Igbo people tend to be somewhat more fond of cooking food with turkey more than Yorubas (and torotoro, in-turn, is probably more popular in Imo State than anywhere-else, especially with their Christmas stews and jellof rice) and that’s another important factor when it comes to making certain types of soup/maximising their taste and so I would like to see more efo-riro cooked with that than just major cow-roundabouts (which are still very important for what they are). With certain of even those higher-ranking Yoruba foods I just get the vibe that an Owerri or Awka woman could just make it better given a bit more direct exposure to whatever the food is so I can be a bit sheepish in ascribing a great deal of credit to Yorubas for foods beyond the good take so many of them have more general/shared Nigerian foods (moi-moi, akara, rice, stews) unless they’re from Ondo/Ekiti (they really do have a lot of good native foods) but for what it is now efo riro is actually a very sweet one and I enjoy it.
Ekiti people are more likely to serve it with e/agidi, yam and rice, whereas other Yorubas (I don’t think efo-riro is particularly common with Ondo folk, so obviously apart from them) tend to go more with utara-ji/eba as a side-food; am I right?
Some of your statements are right, Amala is more commonly eaten than you've it credit for in Yoruba land though. I'm a Yoruba man anyway.
The akara I've been eating here tastes better than the ones I ate while I was in Enugu. Also, the food wey fall my hand pass na okpa o. The hype around it, before I tasted it anyway, was that it has a better taste compared to moin-moin. I believe the only Yoruba soup outsiders often have reservations against is "ewedu", cos of how slimy it looks. I should have tried more of Igbo soup while I was at Enugu though, the few ones I ate wasn't really too palatable with my taste buds. That's why I decided to stick to what I know. grin
I think the Yorubas around generally have a higher tendency of sticking to the traditional methods of cooking their meals/soups, the reason it seems like there's no varieties to the efo riro I asked you about. But you can actually garnish efo riro with other condiments and according to your tastes, whether it's turkey you want to add or beef, goat meat, chicken, fish etc. I've actually eaten efo riro with cooked with all of the above several times o. I remembered the day my friend and I, prepared efo riro at the corper's lodge at Udi. We became demigods among them that day and till the rest of our service year. grin
Probz:

Some of your statements are right, Amala is more commonly eaten than you've it credit for in Yoruba land though. I'm a Yoruba man anyway.
The akara I've been eating here tastes better than the ones I ate while I was in Enugu. Also, the food wey fall my hand pass na okpa o. The hype around it, before I tasted it anyway, was that it has a better taste compared to moin-moin. I believe the only Yoruba soup outsiders often have reservations against is "ewedu", cos of how slimy it looks. I should have tried more of Igbo soup while I was at Enugu though, the few ones I ate wasn't really too palatable with my taste buds. That's why I decided to stick to what I know. grin
I think the Yorubas around generally have a higher tendency of sticking to the traditional methods of cooking their meals/soups, the reason it seems like there's no varieties to the efo riro I asked you about. But you can actually garnish efo riro with other condiments and according to your tastes, whether it's turkey you want to add or beef, goat meat, chicken, fish etc. I've actually eaten efo riro with cooked with all of the above several times o. I remembered the day my friend and I, prepared efo riro at the corper's lodge at Udi. We became demigods among them that day and till the rest of our service year. grin
Probz:

Some of your statements are right, Amala is more commonly eaten than you credited in Yoruba land though. I'm a Yoruba man anyway.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by ogwumgbe: 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2022
God1000:
Amala, it's a Yoruba food

Amala is my favorite swallow food,

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 19, 2022
You never eat better ogbono, especially the day after its made
Hamzashaf99:

I don't like the taste, or maybe it's just the ones I've tasted here

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by SonOfEl(m): 8:47pm On Dec 19, 2022
mattenny:
Which ibo get ogbono soup. Abi Edo esan tribe

Igbo communities also eat ogbono soup. It's not limited to Delta communities alone. It's not even Esan that owns the soup. Stop misrepresenting
Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Burgerlomo: 8:48pm On Dec 19, 2022
Bahamas95:
Fresh catfish banger soup and starch.....The soup should be served with that traditional clay plate (ēwērè)

When you eat that food even if you nor be witch you go confess.

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by wman(m): 8:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
Bintdawood:

What is dankwa?

Donkwa.

Groundnut that has been grinded and molded into balls. It's an hausa by-product of groundnut just like Kuli-Kuli

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by The5DME(m): 8:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Have you eaten ego-riro?
Isn't it spelt "efor-riro"?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by DanAugust2021: 8:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
gibsonwales:
I'm Yoruba amaka / ndi Yoruba but I enjoy afang, okazi, edikaikong, OHA na Baba of all grin
True, but I never liked and still doesn't like afang soup.
Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by SonOfEl(m): 8:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
Ukazi soup with pounded yam. D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S
Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by airsaylongcome: 8:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
Osariemen12:

No at all. Will not in this lifetime.

Should have been efo-riro not ego-riro.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Pierced(f): 8:51pm On Dec 19, 2022
sacajawea:

Where are you from?

Enugu

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by 1Dray(m): 8:54pm On Dec 19, 2022
It has got to be danwake, gurasa and shanshaka.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by Ubdavis(m): 8:55pm On Dec 19, 2022
Urheadmaster:

Well prepared Amala and ewedu soup can make you bite off your fingers tongue

It makes u. Not me

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by AngelicBeing: 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2022
Hmmmmmm cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic) by mariahAngel(f): 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2022
wman:

Donkwa.

Groundnut that has been grinded and molded into balls. It's an hausa by-product of groundnut just like Kuli-Kuli

I used to be cray-cray about this stuff, until someone told me how it's made. cry cry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Yam Porridge Without Palm Oil: How Make Yam Porridge In Tomato Sauce / How To Prepare KFC Fried Chicken (yes You Can Do It All By Yourself) / The Best Edikaikong Soup Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.