Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) (44525 Views)

Tusquets: Messi Should Have Been Sold, Says Barca Boss / "Lionel Messi Should Retire" - Maradona / "Messi Should Be Banned Until Fifa Proves He Is Human" – Iran Coach Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by superintendents(m): 12:23am On Dec 19, 2022
no sleep for d wicked,e dey sweet us

grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by ULSHERLAN(m): 12:42am On Dec 19, 2022
Zee0007:
If you talk they will say you are pained. Messi is always favoured. That's why Ronaldo will always be many goat.

Don’t you want to be favored in life?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by joyandfaith: 1:00am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:
First I want to say congratulations to Argentina but....

Why was Messi given the best player of the tournament instead of Mbappe? Even if it was given to Messi I think it should have been shared with Mbappe! That is 2 best players of the tournament!

Someone said because Messi won the world cup

Let me remind you all that in 2014 Germany won the world cup yet Messi who didn't win the cup still was given best player of the tournament that year.

This is the reason many people still prefer CR7 because he is not pampered like this. And all his achievements were done with so much hate from even people around

Lalasticlala semid4lyf

I agree with you. Mordric won best player in 2018 world cup.
Fifa just like many organizations are for making money. Messi is a good player with many fans and endorsement. Fifa need messi and other star players in the last 4. Small country can never win world cup.

Population, fans, endorsement and adverts are source of income for fifa. Brazil didn't do well against croatia and later would likely lost to Argentina in the Semifinal. Portugal didn't do well against morocco. Fifa didn't manipulate that because Morocco stands for Arabs, Africans and Islamic world. Of course, Ronaldo also has a huge fans. Brazil v argentina semi-final would have been an historical game with many eyes watching it. Either Brazil or Argentina at the semifinal was a good deal for Fifa with either of them facing france or portugal at final.

Subtle manipulations were done to ensure Argentina gets to final. Early penalties in the most Argentina games unsettled vibrant opponent- Netherlands, Croatia and France.

I can say messi effort, fifa manipulation and luck helped Argentina. It is like that in the most life achievement.

Corruption has overtaken the entire world.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by shimolv: 1:34am On Dec 19, 2022
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by OJEEMAH(m): 2:24am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Why was Messi given the best player of the tournament instead of Mbappe? Even if it was given to Messi I think it should have been shared with Mbappe! That is 2 best players of the tournament!
It’s not like Mbappe was all round better than Messi. Mbappe 8goals 2assists. Messi 7goals and 3assists. Just like he was instrumental in their run to the final, so was Messi.

Messi was pulling the strings with defense splitting passes, playmaking and also scoring to secure their qualification to the next round.

The 2 best player in the World Cup made it to the final. In this case, whoever wins the tournament should be crowned best.

Let me remind you all that in 2014 Germany won the world cup yet Messi who didn't win the cup still was given best player of the tournament that year.
You obviously don’t know how it works. Germany had no exceptional player in their team that year.

Do you think Messi would have won golden ball if Germany had an outstanding player like James Rodriguez?

Messi was outstanding in 2014. He was individually better than all German players. The only person that would have stopped Messi from winning 2014 golden ball was James Rodriguez but unfortunately, they knocked Columbia out in the quarter finals.

This is the reason many people still prefer CR7 because he is not pampered like this. And all his achievements were done with so much hate from even people around.
Lalasticlala semid4lyf
When they robbed Ribery to crown him world best in 2013, he wasn’t pampered.

When they robbed Juventus in the champions against Madrid, he wasn’t pampered.

When he scored offside against Bayern & ATM, he wasn’t pampered.

Once Messi win anything, una go look for excuse. This shit is stale already…….Messi won Balon D’or, he was pampered. He won European Golden Boot, he was pampered, he won Copa America, pampered
Again, he won UCL, still pampered.

When it became clear, he was leading Argentina to the trophy, you guys started with this emotional blackmail cos Portugal was out.

Can you guys just take your time to watch Messi’s and contributions for once?

At 35, he was running the show for his country and competing with a 23years old electric and energetic Mbappe.

These are the records he broke and set in this World Cup yet you still think he doesn’t deserve golden ball

first and only player to score in all knock out games.

First and only player to score and assist in 3 World Cup games.

Most goal contribution in World Cup history

Most MOTM in World Cup history.

Give the guy some credit biko

88 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Nobody: 2:59am On Dec 19, 2022
Oluwasheyijossy:
Sorry sir its Messi's birthright cheesy
Absolutely Correct.
It's beyond Favor.
That's his BIRTHRIGHT

7 Likes

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Nobody: 3:01am On Dec 19, 2022
OJEEMAH:
It’s not like Mbappe was all round better than Messi. Mbappe 8goals 2assists. Messi 7goals and 3assists. Just like he was instrumental in their run to the final, so was Messi.

Messi was pulling the strings with defense splitting passes, playmaking and also scoring to secure their qualification to the next round.

The 2 best player in the World Cup made it to the final. In this case, whoever wins the tournament should be crowned best. You obviously don’t know how it works. Germany had no exceptional player in their team that year.

Do you think Messi would have won golden ball if Germany had an outstanding player like James Rodriguez?

Messi was outstanding in 2014. He was individually better than all German players. The only person that would have stopped Messi from winning 2014 golden ball was James Rodriguez but unfortunately, they knocked Columbia out in the quarter finals. When they robbed Ribery to crown him world best in 2013, he wasn’t pampered.

When they robbed Juventus in the champions against Madrid, he wasn’t pampered.

When he scored offside against Bayern & ATM, he wasn’t pampered.

Once Messi win anything, una go look for excuse. This shit is stale already…….Messi won Balon D’or, he was pampered. He won European Golden Boot, he was pampered, he won Copa America, pampered
Again, he won UCL, still pampered.

When it became clear, he was leading Argentina to the trophy, you guys started with this emotional blackmail cos Portugal was out.

Can you guys just take your time to watch Messi’s and contributions for once?

At 35, he was running the show for his country and competing with a 23years old electric and energetic Mbappe.

These are the records he broke and set in this World Cup yet you still think he doesn’t deserve golden ball

first and only player to score in all knock out games.

First and only player to score and assist in 3 World Cup games.

Most goal contribution in World Cup history

Most MOTM in World Cup history.

Give the guy some credit biko
It can only be OJEEMAH!
Please make u guys line up for beer soon.
One penaldian gave me a purgative meat

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by OJEEMAH(m): 3:29am On Dec 19, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

It can only be OJEEMAH!
Please make u guys line up for beer soon.
One penaldian gave me a purgative meat
Hahahahahahah……boss just holla I dey with you

Penaldians are not to be trusted this period. Biko be careful

8 Likes

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by jimmychang: 3:43am On Dec 19, 2022
joyandfaith:

I agree with you. Mordric won best player in 2018 world cup.
Fifa just like many organizations are for making money. Messi is a good player with many fans and endorsement. Fifa need messi and other star players in the last 4. Small country can never win world cup.

Population, fans, endorsement and adverts are source of income for fifa. Brazil didn't do well against croatia and later would likely lost to Argentina in the Semifinal. Portugal didn't do well against morocco. Fifa didn't manipulate that because Morocco stands for Arabs, Africans and Islamic world. Of course, Ronaldo also has a huge fans. Brazil v argentina semi-final would have been an historical game with many eyes watching it. Either Brazil or Argentina at the semifinal was a good deal for Fifa with either of them facing france or portugal at final.

Subtle manipulations were done to ensure Argentina gets to final. Early penalties in the most Argentina games unsettled vibrant opponent- Netherlands, Croatia and France.

I can say messi effort, fifa manipulation and luck helped Argentina. It is like that in the most life achievement.

Corruption has overtaken the entire world.

The problem is that if it was Ronaldo that won the world cup you won't drop this nonsense here.

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Roboto11: 4:29am On Dec 19, 2022
It should have gone to Penaldo.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Roboto11: 4:33am On Dec 19, 2022
Indabello:
Firstly, I must acknowledge that I am a Ronaldo fan and till tomorrow, I will be. The reality I acknowledged after Argentina made it past Croatia was that 'might' be Messi was a better player to Ronaldo. And even today, something deep down tells me, probably he is the real GOAT after all.

However, with all sincerity, if Argentina made it past Round 16, Quarter final and now the final, it is not because of Messi, it's because of the Goalkeeper.
I feel FIFA should have acknowledged this fact and recognize the Keeper's contributions.
Again, if we truly want to be objective, we will realize that compensating Messi in 2014 with player of the tournament even when he wasn't deserving of it and denying Mbappe similar compensation after his lawfully earned Goldenbooth amounts to double standard or speaking with both sides of your mouth.

Again, Messi might have accomplished more than CR7 and probably is even the GOAT, the fact still remains that I remain ever sympathetic to CR7 because all his awards were duly earned without pampering or unnecessary sympathy from any body. This is evident in FIFA acknowledging that XAVI should have won the 2010 Balon d or. Again, for winning Copa America while Ronaldo did not enjoy similar privilege for winning a more prestigious title in Euro. Moreover, Lewa should have won it that year.

This not withstanding, Respect should be given to whom it is due and MESSI deserves nothing but that������������������‍���‍���‍�

The tiebreaker is who wins the tournament.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Smashspesh(m): 4:58am On Dec 19, 2022
Messi was the best player in the competition before the final.

While Griezman was rated the best in the France team before the final.

So, there's no how Mbappe's masterclass in the final match can overshadow Messi's who has been the best in Qatar plus winning and scoring two vital goals.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by joyandfaith: 6:05am On Dec 19, 2022
jimmychang:

The problem is that if it was Ronaldo that won the world cup you won't drop this nonsense here.

If it is Ronaldo, i would still talk.
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Connected1: 6:16am On Dec 19, 2022
If you want to win, do it honourably.

I have always disliked Messi because of the football fraud they do for him, right from his Barcelona days when they rigged so many matches for him including that PSG win which the referee was demoted after several complaints.

This Worldcup is not an exception, the fraud was so much, I don't know who is better amongst Ronaldo and Messi but I always use Ronaldo to motivate myself, he's an Underdog.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by tk4radi: 7:20am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

This is the reason many people still prefer CR7 because he is not pampered like this. And all his achievements were done with so much hate from even people around

Lalasticlala semid4lyf
I was expecting you to list the criteria for selecting the best player of the tournament, for which Mbappe met all better than Messi

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by maxwell530(m): 7:31am On Dec 19, 2022
oyatainer:
Ronaldo fans cannot see anything Messi did with this average team. He is the leader who at the age of 35 played and won 4 man of the match. All these are accumulated to give him Golden ball. Besides, in 2006 world cup, Zidane almost won golden ball if not for the headbutting incident. Almost everyone wanted Zidane to win it, if Zidane was almost won the golden ball, and Canavaro won it can you please tell me what Zidane did differently in French team other than controlling the game in the midfield. So now compare what he did to many unforgettable moments Messi had in this tournament. Messi ticked all the boxes, goals, assists, chance created, leadership and marketing. In fact, he deserves more than Golden ball for this tournament. Modric no play half of what Messi played in this tournament in 2018 and he won it without people's complain. Why now?
Boss,Zinedine Zidane still won 2006 Golden Ball not Canavaro

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by AAA593: 7:40am On Dec 19, 2022
Connected1:
If you want to win, do it honourably.

I have always disliked Messi because of the football fraud they do for him, right from his Barcelona days when they rigged so many matches for him including that PSG win which the referee was demoted after several complaints.

This Worldcup is not an exception, the fraud was so much, I don't know who is better amongst Ronaldo and Messi but I always use Ronaldo to motivate myself, he's an Underdog.

This is first class jealousy and hatred for Messi. Maybe you watched back of your TV all through the world cup.
Messi and Ronaldo can longer be compared because the argument is no longer valid.
You were among those praying for France to win but Messi and his boys humbled all of you.
You people are now using fraud excuses grin I pity una.
France was awarded 2 PK in the finals una no see fraud. Oya tell us the fraud u see for the tournament grin.
Messi..........

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by zuma4k(m): 7:49am On Dec 19, 2022
I feel your pain, it's been back to back premium tears for pendu fans. Please take heart. Sucks to be a Messi hater right now.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by maxwell530(m): 7:57am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Lalasticlala semid4lyf
highest Goalscorer is not the criteria for choosing world cup Golden Ball,this is one of the reasons I always believe you Ronaldo fans are not always the intelligent type when it comes to football matters, y'all believe football start and end with Just the goals. Davor suker of Croatia was 1998 top scorer yet Ronaldo de Lima won Golden Ball despite losing final to France.De Lima Ronaldo was 2002 highest Goalscorer and won the trophy but Golden Ball still went to Oliver Khan a Goalkeeper.miroslav klose was 2006 top scorer yet Zinedine Zidane won the Golden Ball despite the controversy in the final and ended up on losing side, Thomas Muller was 2010 top scorer yet Diego forlan won Golden Ball despite crashing out in the quarter finals,not even David Villa nor Wesley sneidjer could displace him. Who in the German Squad would you have given the Golden Ball in 2014 ahead of Messi? I guess by your logic,shurlle or gotze should have won it, Lol. Despite Mbappe brilliance in 2018 by coming back with 2 Goals against Argentina round of 16 and scoring in the final against Croatia,these couldn't make him win Golden Ball ahead of Luka Modric who didn't even do half of what Lionel Messi did in Qatar.

I SMH for Una o

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Kirchoffs: 8:18am On Dec 19, 2022
MrColdsweat:

To you idiots, everything is messi vs ronaldo.

Go and meet your level.
Take sniper bro , it'll end this tortorous pain you are going through

1 Like

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Kirchoffs: 8:20am On Dec 19, 2022
maxwell530:
highest Goalscorer is not the criteria for choosing world cup Golden Ball,this is one of the reasons I always believe you Ronaldo fans are not always the intelligent type when it comes to football matters, y'all believe football start and end with Just the goals. Davor suker of Croatia was 1998 top scorer yet Ronaldo de Lima won Golden Ball despite losing final to France.De Lima Ronaldo was 2002 highest Goalscorer and won the trophy but Golden Ball still went to Oliver Khan a Goalkeeper.miroslav klose was 2006 top scorer yet Zinedine Zidane won the Golden Ball despite the controversy in the final and ended up on losing side, Thomas Muller was 2010 top scorer yet Diego forlan won Golden Ball despite crashing out in the quarter finals,not even David Villa nor Wesley sneidjer could displace him. Who in the German Squad would you have given the Golden Ball in 2014 ahead of Messi? I guess by your logic,shurlle or gotze should have won it, Lol. Despite Mbappe brilliance in 2014 by coming back with 2 Goals against Argentina round of 16 and scoring in the final against Croatia,these couldn't make him win Golden Ball ahead of Luka Modric who didn't even do half of what Lionel Messi did in Qatar.

I SMH for Una o
Penaldo fans are always bitter and frustrated f00ls , I heard one of them drank sniper yesterday grin grin

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by maisams01(m): 9:23am On Dec 19, 2022
okomi562:
your father is a gerenational fool. did i adress Op. I said face d article, leave ronaldo. was ronaldo in the my statement. it is ur type that writes waec 55 times. your mother is a dog
mumu since you didn't address the Op you lack the moral right to address anyone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by ecoco2014(m): 9:33am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Lalasticlala semid4lyf
Kylian Mbappe scored 6 goals in the run of play and 2 penalties while Messi scored 3 goals in the run of play and 4 penalties. Yes Messi had 5 man of the match Awards but the final Man of the match award was a travesty as Kylian deserved it and that would have tied them at 4 each rather awarding it to Messi meant Mbappe had only 3 MOTM(Man of the Match) awards. Mbappe had 2 assists with no yellow card while Messi had 3 assists with a yellow card. Messi played more minutes than Mbappe in this world Cup which should add up to less efficiency than Mbappe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by teebagy: 9:42am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Lalasticlala semid4lyf
Broh apart from goals mbape had nothing against messi. Messi was doing both griezman and mbape work at argentina. He created more chances had more assit helped in mildfield. While mbape teamates worked for him. Griezman was better than mbape. Mbape didnt turn up against england and morocco. Messi turned up .

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Kingcalls: 9:47am On Dec 19, 2022
Blake755:
True Sha but Messi really tried he carried his team for this world cup I hope you saw Croatia match the second and third goal u saw the magic

2nd goal was Alvarez brilliance
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by teebagy: 9:48am On Dec 19, 2022
ecoco2014:

Kylian Mbappe scored 6 goals in the run of play and 2 penalties while Messi scored 3 goals in the run of play and 4 penalties. Yes Messi had 5 man of the match Awards but the final Man of the match award was a travesty as Kylian deserved it and that would have tied them at 4 each rather awarding it to Messi meant Mbappe had only 3 MOTM(Man of the Match) awards. Mbappe had 2 assists with no yellow card while Messi had 3 assists with a yellow card. Messi played more minutes than Mbappe in this world Cup which should add up to less efficiency than Mbappe.

Kylian was only efficient in front of goal. If u watched yesterday match messi played better than mbappe. Apart from the goals mbape struggled. And mbape struggled against fast and strong opponents. England and morocco . Because he rely on pace not on intelligence like messi.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Blake755: 9:49am On Dec 19, 2022
Kingcalls:

2nd goal was Alvarez brilliance
I know but did you see the counter where Messi chipped the ball before falling

2 Likes

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Kingcalls: 9:56am On Dec 19, 2022
realsammie:
It's like the opp only watch today's final. Let me ask you a question. Between Mpape and Messi, who has carried their team from match day one the most. Or should i also remind you of the number of assist Messi has in this world cup. What about Chances created.

The problem with penaldo fans is that they think football is all about goals. that Is why you keep seeing cr7 fans bringing some stupid stats like "more headed goals, more right footed goal more left footed goals. Haba now.

Messi more than deserve the best player award.

Did u watch France Morocco ?? Did u watch the group games ?? Did u watch what mbappe did to Poland ... Messi was just scoring penalties while mbappe was firing goals ... Scoring a hat trick in a world cup final no b beans .. not just scoring , pulling ur team back ... Mbappe deserved the golden ball... If Messi did the same thing mbappe did and mbappe did same that Messi did , they wud have still given Messi , they will say mbappe was just scoring penalties... Mbappe had 12 goal contributions for France out of 16 goals scored by France ...only 2 penalties played... Messi on the other hand had 10 goal contributions out of the 15 goals by Argentina with 4 penalties... And he played more minutes... Mbappe deserved it

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by teebagy: 9:57am On Dec 19, 2022
okomi562:
I get your point. Ronaldo is great but he is not liked by majority. Fifa and people feel he is the only one that can challenge messi. I had a brilliant guy in secondary school always collecting best students award but as i joined the school it became a competition but he was mostly favoured when there was a tie and because he did not come from a well to do home which they can tag as a disadvantage or humility. I feel pity for ronaldo because he is not at his best time. if ronaldo was banging at d moment he will just ignore this messi acheivement, score like 50 goals, probably win the champions league again, showing he is still there no matter what. The funny thing about life is that no matter what people like me still take cr7 as the goat. My opinion, what do i know.
cr7 is not liked by fifa but he has 5 ballon d or and he plays estonia . Faroe island where he batters them what an irony.

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Kingcalls: 9:58am On Dec 19, 2022
Blake755:

I know but did you see the counter where Messi chipped the ball before falling

Did u also see what mbappe did against Morocco?? Messi has been too pampered in his career ...no player has ever had it this easy

4 Likes

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Kingcalls: 9:58am On Dec 19, 2022
Landlord97:
Evil people, so up on all the playing that Messi played he doesn't deserve the player of the tournament truly humans are insatiable, and no matter what you do not everyone would like you, congratulations though to the only known accepted and confirmed GOAT.

Did Messi deserve 2014 golden ball??

1 Like

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by maxwell530(m): 10:02am On Dec 19, 2022
Kingcalls:

Did u also see what mbappe did against Morocco?? Messi has been too pampered in his career ...no player has ever had it this easy
how far Bros? I thought argentina were avoiding European teams

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Football Players Seize AK-47 From Soldier In Uganda During Match (Photos) / The Elite List Of Nigerian Players Who Have Won The English Premier League. / Timo Werner Misses Big Chance To Score Vs Real Madrid, Fans React (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.