Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) (44563 Views)

Tusquets: Messi Should Have Been Sold, Says Barca Boss / "Lionel Messi Should Retire" - Maradona / "Messi Should Be Banned Until Fifa Proves He Is Human" – Iran Coach Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Paullo19: 11:40am On Dec 19, 2022
Kingcalls:

Same penalty u Messi fans used in mocking Ronaldo... Messi is now labelled the new penaldo ... First player to play 5 penalties in a wc ...

How many mbappe play yesterday

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by IMMUNO1(m): 11:41am On Dec 19, 2022
Getat. You people have suddenly left Ronaldo for Mbappe. You didn't watch the finals, if not, you would have seen the statistics FIFA used to determine the best player of the tournament when it was displayed. Mbappe not close to Messi. Football is a team work not some private business.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Centurion101: 11:41am On Dec 19, 2022
Zee0007:
If you talk they will say you are pained. Messi is always favoured. That's why Ronaldo will always be many goat.
Stupid people,he won man of the match 5 times out of 7 ,he scored in every knockout game,scored twice in the final and you don't know why he is the best player, you're a compound f00l

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Baselm: 11:41am On Dec 19, 2022
Messi was instrumental in all his team's matches, even the loss against S/Arabia and the PK miss against Poland, he still got either a goal or an assist to accompany his displays.
Mbappe on the other hand has a couple of games where he wasn't all that. He didn't start the loss to Tunisia and when he came on, couldn't offer much, against England he was curtailed too.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by jackie35(m): 11:42am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:
First I want to say congratulations to Argentina but....

Why was Messi given the best player of the tournament instead of Mbappe? Even if it was given to Messi I think it should have been shared with Mbappe! That is 2 best players of the tournament!

Someone said because Messi won the world cup.

Let me remind you all that in 2014 Germany won the world cup yet Messi who didn't win the cup still was given best player of the tournament that year.

This is the reason many people still prefer CR7 because he is not pampered like this. And all his achievements were done with so much hate from even people around.

It should have been given to Ronaldo grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Carmal90(m): 11:42am On Dec 19, 2022
kpakpankolo:
To be honest Argentina goal keeper deserve it more than anybody

long live the king anyway

Only player I would have chosen instead of Messi.

Mbappe had a quiet game against England and Morroco..
Congratulations bto king Messi

3 Likes

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Kingcalls: 11:42am On Dec 19, 2022
Paullo19:

How many mbappe play yesterday

2 in the whole tournament...Messi played 5
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by mecuries(m): 11:43am On Dec 19, 2022
the tournament was rigged to favour Messi,no team has ever won a penalty in every round of the tournament.....Messi scored just how many open play goals? Even Olivier Giroud did way better
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Paullo19: 11:43am On Dec 19, 2022
Kingcalls:

When they kept on giving them penalties to spoil game.... They made sure they gave them penalty against each of the European teams they played
1, the referee was from Europe
2, France were given two penalties
3, the match was decided by penalties

So if e still dey pain u, keep crying

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by benqo01(m): 11:44am On Dec 19, 2022
MrColdsweat:
For marketing purpose. Messi is the most marketable player in football. Imagine if Argentina had crashed out, so many Messi fans would have left qatar.

It's all about the money. Fifa is no different from nigerian politicians.

SERIOUSLY THEY RE DESTROYING THE GAME OF FOOTBALL WITH THEIR CORRUPTION
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Paullo19: 11:44am On Dec 19, 2022
mecuries:
the tournament was rigged to favour Messi,no team has ever won a penalty in every round of the tournament.....Messi scored just how many open play goals? Even Olivier Giroud did way better

To whom it may concern... Plastic man u fans
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by zinaunreal(m): 11:44am On Dec 19, 2022
superintendents:
oya crying continuation thread

grin

Go to Argentina na bananna them go feed you. Baboon
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by kendrick93(m): 11:44am On Dec 19, 2022
HedwigesMaduro:

So, it should have been given to Ronaldo? By the way, anyone that knows anything about football knows Messi is far ahead of Ronaldo. The only thing Ronaldo competes either him is in goal scoring. Never, ever heard of anyone comparing Maradona with Gerd Muller. Maybe Muller wasn't using hair gel and wasn't backed by the biggest PR machine in football history.
Ronaldo is the biggest PR machine ever created.
This guy basically scores tapins and you have people calling him goat..
lmao
Gerd muller was better than him but no one ever compare him to Pele and maradona

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by IMPARTIAL: 11:45am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Why was Messi given the best player of the tournament instead of Mbappe? Even if it was given to Messi I think it should have been shared with Mbappe! That is 2 best players of the tournament!

Let me remind you all that in 2014 Germany won the world cup yet Messi who didn't win the cup still was given best player of the tournament that year.

This is the reason many people still prefer CR7 because he is not pampered like this. And all his achievements were done with so much hate from even people around.

Know ye that he was given the award because he is the goat.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Eagba(m): 11:45am On Dec 19, 2022
Indabello:
Firstly, I must acknowledge that I am a Ronaldo fan and till tomorrow, I will be. The reality I acknowledged after Argentina made it past Croatia was that 'might' be Messi was a better player to Ronaldo. And even today, something deep down tells me, probably he is the real GOAT after all.

However, with all sincerity, if Argentina made it past Round 16, Quarter final and now the final, it is not because of Messi, it's because of the Goalkeeper.
I feel FIFA should have acknowledged this fact and recognize the Keeper's contributions.
Again, if we truly want to be objective, we will realize that compensating Messi in 2014 with player of the tournament even when he wasn't deserving of it and denying Mbappe similar compensation after his lawfully earned Goldenbooth amounts to double standard or speaking with both sides of your mouth.

Again, Messi might have accomplished more than CR7 and probably is even the GOAT, the fact still remains that I remain ever sympathetic to CR7 because all his awards were duly earned without pampering or unnecessary sympathy from any body. This is evident in FIFA acknowledging that XAVI should have won the 2010 Balon d or. Again, for winning Copa America while Ronaldo did not enjoy similar privilege for winning a more prestigious title in Euro. Moreover, Lewa should have won it that year.

This not withstanding, Respect should be given to whom it is due and MESSI deserves nothing but that������������������‍���‍���‍�
Ronaldo is a prolific goal scorer and football is that and more.
Ronaldo's work ethic is the only thing I like about him

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by CodeTemplar: 11:46am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

There is politics in football. From grassroot to worldcup. That's why hooligans like Blatter who are educated always lead FA of nations. In 2010 they robbed sneider and gave messi when sneider just won treble with Inter and still left his mark in world cup. It took the world cup a move from summer to winter and shiity league standing for messi to conjur his best performance in Argentina shirt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Paullo19: 11:46am On Dec 19, 2022
Kingcalls:

2 in the whole tournament...Messi played 5
lol was it the penalty that gave him the cup? Was it not penalties? If you had Messi in your team who would u choose to take ur penalties??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by EDOLUWA: 11:46am On Dec 19, 2022
MESSI is very good but quite favoured, pampered,gratified and indulged just like a chameleon.

It's because of him that Super Star like Iniesta, Wesley Sneijer and the likes never won Ballon D or.

Congratulations to Messi and Argentina

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by ThierryJay: 11:47am On Dec 19, 2022
OJEEMAH:
It’s not like Mbappe was all round better than Messi. Mbappe 8goals 2assists. Messi 7goals and 3assists. Just like he was instrumental in their run to the final, so was Messi.

Messi was pulling the strings with defense splitting passes, playmaking and also scoring to secure their qualification to the next round.

The 2 best player in the World Cup made it to the final. In this case, whoever wins the tournament should be crowned best. You obviously don’t know how it works. Germany had no exceptional player in their team that year.

Do you think Messi would have won golden ball if Germany had an outstanding player like James Rodriguez?

Messi was outstanding in 2014. He was individually better than all German players. The only person that would have stopped Messi from winning 2014 golden ball was James Rodriguez but unfortunately, they knocked Columbia out in the quarter finals. When they robbed Ribery to crown him world best in 2013, he wasn’t pampered.

When they robbed Juventus in the champions against Madrid, he wasn’t pampered.

When he scored offside against Bayern & ATM, he wasn’t pampered.

Once Messi win anything, una go look for excuse. This shit is stale already…….Messi won Balon D’or, he was pampered. He won European Golden Boot, he was pampered, he won Copa America, pampered
Again, he won UCL, still pampered.

When it became clear, he was leading Argentina to the trophy, you guys started with this emotional blackmail cos Portugal was out.

Can you guys just take your time to watch Messi’s and contributions for once?

At 35, he was running the show for his country and competing with a 23years old electric and energetic Mbappe.

These are the records he broke and set in this World Cup yet you still think he doesn’t deserve golden ball

first and only player to score in all knock out games.

First and only player to score and assist in 3 World Cup games.

Most goal contribution in World Cup history

Most MOTM in World Cup history.

Give the guy some credit biko

Brilliant! Thanks for saving me the effort of schooling these annoying twats.

Imagine them still opening their yeye mouth to discredit a 35 year old Messi that scored a massive 2 goals in World cup final. I mean these are the same peeps that their Idolo did not even score at all in the Euro 2016 final that they used to taunt Messi for years until the GOAT shut them up by himself.

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by hkidola00(m): 11:47am On Dec 19, 2022
oyatainer:
Ronaldo fans cannot see anything Messi did with this average team. He is the leader who at the age of 35 played and won 4 man of the match. All these are accumulated to give him Golden ball. Besides, in 2006 world cup, Zidane almost won golden ball if not for the headbutting incident. Almost everyone wanted Zidane to win it, if Zidane was almost won the golden ball, and Canavaro won it can you please tell me what Zidane did differently in French team other than controlling the game in the midfield. So now compare what he did to many unforgettable moments Messi had in this tournament. Messi ticked all the boxes, goals, assists, chance created, leadership and marketing. In fact, he deserves more than Golden ball for this tournament. Modric no play half of what Messi played in this tournament in 2018 and he won it without people's complain. Why now?
man of the match with penalties

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Lamanii22(f): 11:47am On Dec 19, 2022
OJEEMAH:
It’s not like Mbappe was all round better than Messi. Mbappe 8goals 2assists. Messi 7goals and 3assists. Just like he was instrumental in their run to the final, so was Messi.

Messi was pulling the strings with defense splitting passes, playmaking and also scoring to secure their qualification to the next round.

The 2 best player in the World Cup made it to the final. In this case, whoever wins the tournament should be crowned best. You obviously don’t know how it works. Germany had no exceptional player in their team that year.

Do you think Messi would have won golden ball if Germany had an outstanding player like James Rodriguez?

Messi was outstanding in 2014. He was individually better than all German players. The only person that would have stopped Messi from winning 2014 golden ball was James Rodriguez but unfortunately, they knocked Columbia out in the quarter finals. When they robbed Ribery to crown him world best in 2013, he wasn’t pampered.

When they robbed Juventus in the champions against Madrid, he wasn’t pampered.

When he scored offside against Bayern & ATM, he wasn’t pampered.

Once Messi win anything, una go look for excuse. This shit is stale already…….Messi won Balon D’or, he was pampered. He won European Golden Boot, he was pampered, he won Copa America, pampered
Again, he won UCL, still pampered.

When it became clear, he was leading Argentina to the trophy, you guys started with this emotional blackmail cos Portugal was out.

Can you guys just take your time to watch Messi’s and contributions for once?

At 35, he was running the show for his country and competing with a 23years old electric and energetic Mbappe.

These are the records he broke and set in this World Cup yet you still think he doesn’t deserve golden ball

first and only player to score in all knock out games.

First and only player to score and assist in 3 World Cup games.

Most goal contribution in World Cup history

Most MOTM in World Cup history.

Give the guy some credit biko
you’ve said it all….

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Bentonite1: 11:48am On Dec 19, 2022
Slawomirr:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Penaldo fans always coming up with reason to cry

One thing about penaldians is that they don't know anything about football
They just believe football is all about tap -ins
Now watch in the coming days how how most of them will start sympathising with mpappe

Not knowing that even the mpappe self ....Neymar play ball pass am by far

Your the most sick and dumbb, retadd being I have ever seen. I spite on you. the day you will speak the truth will be your end.
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Bentonite1: 11:49am On Dec 19, 2022
maisams01:
but Ode you don't have a problem with the op trying to demean Messi's achievement saying he doesn't deserve this or that ahbi, nonsense and hypocrisy

Op how did Messi win golden ball in 2014 without winning world cup? are you sick? MBAPPE deserved it better and not penalty merchant PESSI
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Eagba(m): 11:50am On Dec 19, 2022
kaey10:
Mbappe deserves it but nothing wey you won talk Messi fans no go gree. So save yourself the stress.

Mbappe didn't play with a lackluster team from the beginning, Messi did. And literally took the team from the dungeon of a Lossing spirit to winning.

Some other person's would have been shouting," oh they didn't pass to me, oh the team is mediocre and so on and so forth".

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by toujurs: 11:52am On Dec 19, 2022
Shurrup!!, Na yur opinion we go chop? Messi is an undisputable GOAT

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by assholemods: 11:53am On Dec 19, 2022
Zee0007:
If you talk they will say you are pained. Messi is always favoured. That's why Ronaldo will always be many goat.
Of course all of you are pained including the bitter OP.... At this level it is a shame that you all are still comparing Messi to CR7 what an insult.
2014 he won player of the tournament without winning the cup, now with his performance plus the cup what do you expect?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Paullo19: 11:53am On Dec 19, 2022
Eagba:

Mbappe didn't play with a lackluster team from the beginning, Messi did. And literally took the team from the dungeon of a Lossing spirit to winning.

Some other person's would have been shouting," oh they didn't pass to me, oh the team is mediocre and so on and so forth".

lol weda una like am or not Messi is the greatest player that has ever lived... I no understand how u go like football hate messi
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by main24(m): 11:54am On Dec 19, 2022
Same thing I said immediately it was announced. Yes Messi is the GOAT but for the best player in this Tournament award? it's Mbappe.

But Messi fanatics say otherwise lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by kenex4ever(m): 11:54am On Dec 19, 2022
LesbianBoy:

Messi dominated the stats in 2014 worldcup.
Thesame way he did in this worldcup.

Besides competing for top scorer,
Messi led in assist, chances created, dribbles in both world cups.

Why Messi is different is that he delivers man of tje match performance in every game.

Just check the copa america he won, he also led in every possible attacking dept of tje game

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by ak22(m): 11:54am On Dec 19, 2022
MrColdsweat:

You messi and ronaldo fans have killed football with silly sentiments.

Football is a team sport. There is no such thing as best player.

this just started yesterday ni abi?
Re: Messi Should Not Have Won Best Player Of The Tournament (opinion) by Papadoh(m): 11:55am On Dec 19, 2022
Indabello:
Firstly, I must acknowledge that I am a Ronaldo fan and till tomorrow, I will be. The reality I acknowledged after Argentina made it past Croatia was that 'might' be Messi was a better player to Ronaldo. And even today, something deep down tells me, probably he is the real GOAT after all.

However, with all sincerity, if Argentina made it past Round 16, Quarter final and now the final, it is not because of Messi, it's because of the Goalkeeper.
I feel FIFA should have acknowledged this fact and recognize the Keeper's contributions.
Again, if we truly want to be objective, we will realize that compensating Messi in 2014 with player of the tournament even when he wasn't deserving of it and denying Mbappe similar compensation after his lawfully earned Goldenbooth amounts to double standard or speaking with both sides of your mouth.

Again, Messi might have accomplished more than CR7 and probably is even the GOAT, the fact still remains that I remain ever sympathetic to CR7 because all his awards were duly earned without pampering or unnecessary sympathy from any body. This is evident in FIFA acknowledging that XAVI should have won the 2010 Balon d or. Again, for winning Copa America while Ronaldo did not enjoy similar privilege for winning a more prestigious title in Euro. Moreover, Lewa should have won it that year.

This not withstanding, Respect should be given to whom it is due and MESSI deserves nothing but that������������������‍���‍���‍�
They did acknowledge the keeper though. Afterall he won the Golden Glove award.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Fans React Angrily After Lionel Messi Got Snubbed From FIFA's The Best Award / Chelsea Announce British-record Signing, Caicedo With Nigeria R&B Music / Perpetua Nkwocha Weds Nwufoh In Owerri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.