Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,053 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans (9196 Views)

Syrian Rebels Used Sarin Nerve Gas, Not Assad’s Regime: U.N. Official / Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them / Gaddafi Falls: Libyan rebels in 'final push' for capital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by razznaija(f): 6:02pm On Sep 01, 2011
I thought GEJ was evacuating Nigerians from Libya, but some people decide to stay back, well as for those people that decided to stay, it's at their own risk. I just feel sad for them.
I don't really blame them sha with how bad the country is, who would want to stay there?
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by daphil: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2011
My heart goes out to those nigerians out there in libya. Considering what black africans especially nigerians are facing in libya, is there any justification for gej to have supported the libyan rebels led government. I see alot of im.maturities from gej ends. He has not displayed a single smart.ness since his assumption of office.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by cicero(m): 6:14pm On Sep 01, 2011
I do not support the attack on blacks but I dont think we should put so much blame on the Libyan rebels because they are in a war situation and Ghaddafi actually had black mercenaries that killed a lot of Libyans.

It is now left for our government to step in quickly through the NTC put a stop to the attacks.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
[flash=400,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDRbdXp0Du4[/flash]

Video of Nigerians pleading for their lives.

And these guys need georgraphy lessons,
If indeed Gaddafi utilised mercenaries? from Niger. How the fucck are they called 'Nigerians'

Got nothing against their emancipation from a dictator, But our government should lobby for protection of all our citizens and interests in Libya
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by hbrednic: 6:21pm On Sep 01, 2011
what do you expect from terrorist,rats from benghazi ?
come on guys,they beheaded their own commandant,
very soon they will point the barrels at each other.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by okadaman2: 6:25pm On Sep 01, 2011
razznaija:

I thought GEJ was evacuating Nigerians from Libya, but some people decide to stay back, well as for those people that decided to stay, it's at their own risk. I just feel sad for them.
I don't really blame them sha with how bad the country is, who would want to stay there?

Please research this issue a bit more. You believe that the one plane sent by the FG to pick influential Nigerians like Bash Ali can take the thousands of Nigerians in Libya?

See read this report from the same site, watch the video on the link to see how your people were bombed while trying to escape Libya months ago.

JEFFREY BROWN: And now to the bloody conflict in Libya, where the battle for a key port has gone on for two months.

Today, government forces kept up their shelling of Misrata. At least five people were killed as they waited for the aid ship "Red Star One" to dock. It was the only lifeline for hospital patients in critical condition, as well as 1,000 stranded migrants.

Alex Thomson of Independent Television News watched the scene unfold.

A warning, some of the images in the story are disturbing.

ALEX THOMSON: It's Monday afternoon at the hospital in Misrata[b]. The U.N. may well have charged NATO with protecting Libya's civilians, but it is easy to find civilians NATO is not protecting.[/b]

DEMETRIUS MOGNIA, International Medical Corps: Come. And now you see another one, another one.

ALEX THOMSON: Another blown-up person arrives in Misrata's intensive care unit, ICU, only to find it's shot. It's full to overflowing.

DEMETRIUS MOGNIA: If one injured now came with this bombing, he -- are going to die. Should be moved immediately to let the ship enter in the port to take, to evacuate this person to Benghazi. This is our problem.

ALEX THOMSON: Already patients are dying whilst listed for transfer by boat to Benghazi. They have a list of others desperate to move.

These are people in need? These are people who must be evacuated?

DEMETRIUS MOGNIA: Yes. Yes. And it's far from ICU.

ALEX THOMSON: Four intensive care cases, 33 in all, waiting for that ship.

The problem for those running the rescue vessel is a stark one. To get in and get out of Misrata Port involves congregating around 1,500 people, dock workers, 1,000 migrant workers desperate to escape, 50 or 60 hospital patients and so forth, congregating 1,500 people in a confined space in the middle of a shelling zone for anything up to five or six hours. It is not an easy call.

And this is why the rescue ship lies out of range 12 miles offshore, unable to dock. Colonel Gadhafi says any ship now leaving or entering Misrata is a target. Smoke rises from the almost daily salvos of Grad missiles and shells that hit the port area.

MAN: Incoming.

ALEX THOMSON: So to make a run for it is to be either brave or foolish, or both.

And yet, to our astonishment, the skipper of this Turkish freighter did just that, unladen and at full-throttle between the piers, even as they're hit by incoming shells and mortars. Close in, at the dockside, it is lethal.

MAN: We need to get under here. We need to get out of here.

(Screaming)

ALEX THOMSON: Shelling the port happens daily, two people killed in this attack alone, several more seriously hurt. But consider, too, the reason why this ship is coming in the first place, 1,000 migrant workers still here, still trapped in somebody else's war and desperate to go home. They too are being shelled.

IBRAHIM MOHAMMED, migrant worker: We don't have anything. We are dying here. This bombardment, the smoke is killing us, as now everybody's sick here now, no medicine, no anything. We are dying here. Please, world, if they are hearing me, they should help us.

ALEX THOMSON: [b]And this Nigerian man was shelled in that camp and could indeed be dying. He's scheduled to be moved on the ship to the safety of Be[/b]nghazi when the ship comes in -- if the ship comes in.

By this morning, the ship's been waiting four days. We went to see the harbormaster and found chaos, the ship not even speaking to this harbormaster's office.

MAN: NATO warship, Misrata port control try to contact you on channel 16. Over.

MAN: OK.

ALEX THOMSON: Finally, people started talking, and a ship began appearing, and steamed straight into port, without contacting the harbormaster.

Five-and-a-half days, but they have made it here. The medicine is unloaded at top speed. This is an incoming zone for shells. But the jubilation is short-lived. Two hours after docking, the sound of incoming missiles, and people move to cover.

That was a salvo of 12 Grad missiles. And because of that, quite understandably, it looks like the ship is cutting and running. They have delivered medical goods this morning. They're not waiting to pick people up from the hospital.

But armed rebels screamed at the captain not to go, and he seemed to listen. And suddenly the first ambulances with those ICU patients were at the dockside. The loading systems going well, the last 1,000 migrant workers trapped by the fighting queuing up, embarking, it's very orderly -- until, that is, scores of well-connected Libyans from Misrata turn up, push in, and it all falls apart.

(SHOUTING)

(GUNFIRE)

(SCREAMING)

ALEX THOMSON: A rebel gunman fires his Kalashnikov. At this point, hundreds more migrant workers arrive. They're the people this boat was sent for, and now they can't get on. They have lost control. The captain fears the boat being overloaded and incoming shells.

Without warning they cast off. A ship which came to pick up hundreds of migrant African workers leaves them forlorn, on the key side, in the shelling zone. And only now we learn that several were indeed killed in that salvo an hour or so before.

MAN: They killed three children, one old woman, plus her husband, five this morning maybe one hour ago.

ALEX THOMSON: This woman distraught, her husband still on the key side. And down below, one of the patients is dying. They have to re-dock. Five days to get into this port, five hours to get out of it and still the humanitarian mission in this town is not complete.

JEFFREY BROWN: The ship did manage to pick up 800 people but had hoped to take away as many as 1,000. Its destination is Benghazi in the east, which is held by the rebels.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/world/jan-june11/libya_05-04.html

I'm not asking the Nigerian Govt to fly planes to rescue all Nigerians at once, that will be too difficult.

But they should pressurize the Rebels to protect Nigerians and push for better respect for our people.

They also need to publicly acknowledge that possibly thousands of Nigerian workers are still stranded in Libya and then demand better care and protection for them.

Any foreign policy that does not protect your people's interests abroad is not worth the paper it's written on.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by phreakabit(m): 6:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
okada_man:

That is not the issue and it's absolutely unnecessary for you to say that.

A lot of the voices I've heard from various reports sounded Northern. It's not just Igbo, Yoruba or Edo. All dark skinned People are being discriminated against by those wicked People.

You cannot become a Great country if your citizens can't do business or export their services abroad. A lot of Arabs and Middle easterners own thriving businesses in Nigeria, despite their historical disdain for dark skinned people we still welcome them and patronize them.

Mega plaza is owned by an Israeli.

Setraco, one of the more successful Construction companies in Nigeria is owned by a Lebanese, he too started small in Nigeria.

Many of these Nigerian construction workers are in Libya to work and help their families too. Why discriminate against them?

Chagouris are billionaires here in Nigeria, we are not killing them. Many Arabs own restaurants all over VI and Apapa, we are not burning their shops, why discriminate against our people In their region?

Our government needs to protect us, Especially when they seem to have allied themselves with these Rebels. They must get something in return - Respect and favor for Nigerian workers and businesses is one.

You have to Wonder what we are getting for supporting them if they cannot give our people protection and respect in their country. What kind of silly foreign policy is that when it does not benefit your own people.

Honestly the only way to curb the incessant maltreatment suffered by Nigerians (or citizens of any other country) in diaspora is to practice the eye for an eye ideology. Now I am not preaching xenophobia, but I think its only wise to return the "favour". I dont see why we should welcome these Arabian bastards here whereas they threat Black Africans with utter disdain. I once had a friend of mine a Nigerian in qatar tell me that regardless of how qualified you were you will hardly get a white-collar job in Arab countries if you are black.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by SmoothCrim: 6:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
To the person trying to portray Nigerians as Niger shame on you,  Niger speaks French!

THe Rebels have killed more Nigerians than any other ethnicity apart from Chad maybe!

Before the revolution the Black foreigners were Chad, Sudan, Niger, Mali, Ghana, Nigeria.

Of these countries only Ghana made a significant evacuation. The Ghanaians there are those who decided they wanted to wait it out(their choice since they are adults), 

In the end, It is shameful how few people we evacuated!   Then, on top of that we recognize the same people killing those who may not have even wanted to wait it out!!! I was watching the news and some NIgerian lady said she wanted out! Will we go get her?? Doubt it!
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by SmoothCrim: 6:41pm On Sep 01, 2011
Look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaplRuASg1M

Pause at 58 seconds,  Notice the color of all those killed!!

Do you think she was really a mercenary!!!

Or this,  French media promoting propaganda about Nigerian Mercenaries!

http://www.france24.com/en/20110225-where-do-gaddafi%27s-mercenaries-come-from-libya-darfur-nigeria
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by hbrednic: 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
its a pity
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by okadaman2: 6:50pm On Sep 01, 2011
phreakabit:

Honestly the only way to curb the incessant maltreatment suffered by Nigerians (or citizens of any other country) in diaspora is to practice the eye for an eye ideology. Now I am not preaching xenophobia, but I think its only wise to return the "favour". I dont see why we should welcome these Arabian bastards here whereas they threat Black Africans with utter disdain.

I once had a friend of mine a Nigerian in qatar tell me that regardless of how qualified you were you will hardly get a white-collar job in Arab countries if you are black.

I understand your position but like Ghandi(i think) said: an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

A visit to the MMA international airport in Lagos will convince anyone that we treat foreigners better than our own people, even with the poor infrastructures we have yes it could be silly and sad sometimes but we need to be accommodating.

Yes some of it could be due to a massive national inferiority complex hidden under our loud voices, but we don't need to stop our accommodating culture, we just need to treat our own people better and put them first.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by Chubhie: 6:53pm On Sep 01, 2011
Watched some clips on youtube about how the rebels were going from house to house arresting and killing blacks whom they thought were gaddafi's mercenaries. So so sad!
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by tpia5: 6:59pm On Sep 01, 2011
Video of Nigerians pleading for their lives.

And these guys need georgraphy lessons,
If indeed Gaddafi utilised mercenaries? from Niger. How the fucck are they called 'Nigerians'

those men do seem nigerian however.

the tall, dark skinny one looks south south [ijaw-ish], while most of the others also arent so hard to decipher.

the accent of one of them also is nigerian.

nigeriens and nigerians generally arent that hard to differentiate.

niger is francophone for crying out loud.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by SmoothCrim: 7:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
pretty Obvious they are Nigerian, Only a person who has never been to Niger will confuse those people as Niger citizens, Even their mannerisms are very Nigerian!

A person from Niger will probably just accept to be shot and not cry and make a big show grin! grin grin
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by hbrednic: 7:12pm On Sep 01, 2011
SmoothCrim:

pretty Obvious they are Nigerian, Only a person who has never been to Niger will confuse those people as Niger citizens, Even their mannerisms are very Nigerian!

A person from Niger will probably just accept to be shot and not cry and make a big show grin! grin grin
they guys are obviously nigerians sad sad
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 01, 2011
tpia@:

those men do seem nigerian however.

the tall, dark skinny one looks south south [ijaw-ish], while most of the others also arent so hard to decipher.

the accent of one of them also is nigerian.

nigeriens and nigerians generally arent that hard to differentiate.

niger is francophone for crying out loud.
Don't get me wrong.

I'm talking of other videos I'd seen on the internet with these bastard rebels unable to differentiate between the two countries.

Unconfirmed reports from the beginning was Gaddafi recruited [i]'Nigerien' [/i]tuareg rebels hence whenever they came across Nigerians they killed them.

Similar names ain't an excuse, how about the Congo-Brazaville and Congo-Kinshasa

Of course, the video shows Nigerians with one or two having tribal marks plus our recognisable accents too
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by norrisman: 7:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
Name: John Sofia
Nationality: Nigerian
Sex: Female
DOB: 21 Sep 89
Place of Birth: Benin

I am 101% sure that that poor lady (God rest her soul) in the video posted by Smooth was just another Benin lady passing through Libya hoping to get to her ultimate destination, Italy. Nigerian woman fighting as a mercenary? I dagger belle, tear yansh. Who wan die. If Nigeria had even half the number of people these terrorists from Benghazi are claiming to be Nigerian mercenaries, the corrupt Nigerian politicians will be sh*ting their pants.

Listen to this track called Libya Story by Don Ziggy, a Benin boy who made the same journey from Nigeria to Italy via Libya. This woman most definitely embarked on the same journey before she met her untimely end in the hand of the racist rats of Benghazi backed by their imperialist masters in western capitals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5UY925FgpI
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by tpia5: 7:18pm On Sep 01, 2011
Of course, the video shows Nigerians with one or two having tribal marks plus our recognisable accents too

more like babalawo marks for "protection" or initiation.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by tpia5: 7:20pm On Sep 01, 2011
in general

how exactly do we know nigerians and black africans arent in fact mercenary fighters in libya?

not all of them, true, but the fact that nigerian traffickers are based there enroute to europe doesnt mean some of them arent doubling as mercenaries [which they actually already are], or that others arent in that field.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by SmoothCrim: 7:23pm On Sep 01, 2011
About Sofia John (RIP), She may have simply been an economic immigrant picked up raped and killed! Did you not see the end of the video were they said the Rebels dumbed 2 female snipers bodies, You have to read in between the line,
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by norrisman: 7:25pm On Sep 01, 2011
tpia@:

in general

how exactly do we know nigerians and black africans arent in fact mercenary fighters in libya?

There could be black and maybe even Nigerian mercenaries in Libya but the majority of these people we have seen captured on TV do not look like mercenaries. If they were, Gadaffi must have used juju cos he must have been paying them peanuts as they all look unkept and dirt poor! They would have been better off staying in Nigeria, getting a few AK47s and robbing banks with all that  mercenary courage they have.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by tpia5: 7:26pm On Sep 01, 2011
SmoothCrim:

About Sofia John (RIP), She may have simply been an economic immigrant picked up violated and killed! Did you not see the end of the video were they said the Rebels dumbed 2 female snipers bodies, You have to read in between the line,

the way guys from that region constantly rain curses and hatred on women, kind of makes one wonder. . . . . . .

anyway, who knows.

lord have mercy.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by SmoothCrim: 7:26pm On Sep 01, 2011
Because there is no evidence of it! Amnesty international has come out and said it! So has Human rights watch!

The Libyan NTC even admitted to having lied recently about having Gaddafi's son as a mechanism to destabilize the gov on the day on the invasion of Tripoli, These same rebels claimed Gaddafi was in Venezuela early on in the revolution! The Rebels have no credibility!
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by okadaman2: 7:27pm On Sep 01, 2011
These racist and prejudiced people don't care where you are from in Sub-Saharan Africa!!

If your skin in dark and black enough, then you will experience the same treatment, I does not matter to them. We just Need to protect our own people and seek their interests.

BTW I can excuse racist Arabs, but only Dumb and ignorant Nigerians and those Nigerians with little experience living in Nigeria will fail to differentiate Between a Nigerian accent and other Black sub-Saharan African accent even on a video/audio clip of that nature.

They look and speak Nigerian, these are not half-caste or some rich Naija kid forming fone english. They are Conc Nigerians
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 01, 2011
tpia@:

more like babalawo marks for "protection" or initiation.

lol

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/Africa-Monitor/2011/0830/Qaddafi-s-African-mercenaries-head-home.-Will-they-destabilize-the-Sahel

Read the above article about 'Nigerien' mercenaries.

At no time did I insinuate people in the videos are not Nigerians o.

Our Government should ask for protection of NIGERIANS

What I'm trying to say is that most media houses and people seem to be confusing the 2 countries.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by tpia5: 7:27pm On Sep 01, 2011
norrisman:

There could be black and maybe even Nigerian mercenaries in Libya but the majority of these people we have seen captured on TV do not look like mercenaries. If they were, Gadaffi must have used juju cos he must have been paying them peanuts as they all look unkept and dirt poor! They would have been better off staying in Nigeria, getting a few AK47s and robbing banks with all that  mercenary courage they have.

with the "peles" on their faces and going by their professed line of work, we dont really know for sure they werent in the armed robbery business while in nigeria.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by okadaman2: 7:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
Some of the so called black mercenaries where reportedly forced and coerced to carry guns for Ghaddafi at the pain of death! Terrorized onto submission.

Ghaddafi and his Rebels are the same in their treatment of Dark skinned Africans, racist bunch!!

Ghaddafi only used his so called "love of Black Africa" to spite his "white enemies" I don't care about ghaddafi or these Rebels all na the same.  An Arab warlord calling himself "King of Africa" Go figure. embarassed

I'm just concerned about my government and my people.
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by SmoothCrim: 7:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
That CS article is talking about the Tuaregs,

Even the so called Tuaregs they are calling mercenaries are part of Libya's demographics!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Libya_ethnic.svg

The Tuareg are one of the lost groups in Africa not having any country where they constitute the majority or are in the mainstream!

The crazy thing is the Tuareg are of North African origin are are considered "Berbers" but, are darker . Many have lived in Libya for something like 20 years , were born in Libya or are from Libya!

! I don't know why they would be considered mercenaries when they are essentially citizens!
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by Builder: 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2011
hmmm, thanks to NATO and obama they have finally succedded in turning africa up side down, im just disappointed in that basta.rd called obama, surely he should have known that all dis will happen, no wonder his father disowned him cos he prolly knew he will turn out to be an uncle tom
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by phreakabit(m): 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2011
The talks about mercenaries is an obvious lie. Even a blind man should be able to see through this deception. Just last night on CNN some Female "fighters" loyal to "Gaddafi" where "interviewed". I couldn't help but laugh at it all. First of all The ladies all seemed amused by the apparently empty weapons that they were GIVEN and ASKED to display, honestly I saw a lady smiling like a kid in an all you can eat cake buffet / exhibition and pointing an empty rocket launcher in the wrong direction. The only lady amongst them who could shoot an AK-47 had her face covered and was well built, the other ladies just stood there chanting songs in support of "Gaddafi", who they claimed asked them to fight for him. Now I couldn't care less about Gaddafi or the Libyan women, but the BIG question here is if CNN and the rest of the western media could secure interviews with this ladies, the rebels , even rebels in CONGO OF ALL PLACES, why weren't we ever opportune to see these so called BLACK PRO GADDAFI MERCENARIES?
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by SmoothCrim: 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2011
Goodluck Jonathans Libya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtuIZozNryo&feature=player_embedded

Black Libyan massacred like a dog due to his color!
Re: Libyan Rebels Wary Of Sub-saharan Africans by hilli666(m): 8:14pm On Sep 01, 2011
How long must we sit and watch while the west pillages our continent. America wanted Irag, and Europe wanted Libya. Yankee invaded Iraq, Eropre did what they have always done, divide and conquer. Africans sit and watch like baboons, why dont we form our own collition and bomb Libya and take control of the oil. Thats whats the west is doing, isnt it? Why cant it be us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Opposition Party Sets Off Tear Gas Inside Kosovo Parliament(Photos) / Nelson Mandela Is Dead / South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.