Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? (40137 Views)

I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? / What Does Working Hard Actually Mean To You? / What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by somehow: 8:49am On Dec 27, 2022
Stubborn and ignorant people don't ask salient questions.

Why is the UK short of teachers?

A country known for education tourism short of home grown teachers.

Should that not pique your curiosity?

52 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by HBB1(m): 8:50am On Dec 27, 2022
Not trying to be a Sadist, but anybody that wants to go pick up a teaching job in the UK should be prepared for the worst...

It is only someone that has been in the system that will understand.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by iHateFraudsters: 8:50am On Dec 27, 2022
JOACHINpedro:

Calm down bro. I don't mean that in the negative way, it's just a fact, certainly that writeup will discourage alot. So where is the lie?
PS- people wey go still Japa go still japa

I misunderstood you bro.

Apologies.

Have a nice day.

8 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by SocialJustice: 8:50am On Dec 27, 2022
kingthreat:
Is teaching in Nigeria any better?
Nigerian public schools are now a rearing ground for criminals, cultists and prostitutes.
It is no longer like the pre-90s where discipline was sacrosanct. Now it is way worse.
If teaching in the uK will give you a better life, please embrace it. Way better than doing caregiving in the UK, where you have to clean white people's shyt.
I have a friend in care giving that his job is to go round the elderly home every 15 minutes for about 9 hours. He gives medication when it is time. No sh*t business. £9/hr.

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by stano2(m): 8:51am On Dec 27, 2022
obedience4:
Fake , there is no way ° a difference between a monkey and a black man will be on a UK school board

Lies lies lies
Rest… some worse statements are written in Nigerians schools

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Strokes: 8:51am On Dec 27, 2022
Actually if you work in a good private school in Nigeria and you're hardworking to get extra lessons, even the highest cadre in public school cannot stand with you.

I have people who make an average of 700k per month here in Nigeria as private school teachers

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by highbee02: 8:53am On Dec 27, 2022
U can't discourage me, the portal will open on February 1st and I will apply.

This epistle is to discourage those of us in teaching profession. It's now the turn of we teachers to travel out, medical doctors and other professionals are moving out for better pay. AWA LOKAN

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by loswhite(m): 8:53am On Dec 27, 2022
IyaTola:
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A TEACHER IN THE UK?

Being a teacher in the UK is a horrible experience — it is a taste of hell.
I was a teacher in Zimbabwe for over 10 years.

I loved my work; I remember assemblies where children would greet us in chorus.
I was proud to be a teacher.

Our students would salute and greet us on the streets, showing us respect.
A misbehaving pupil would hide, show remorse on being found out.

The day I left for the UK, I was excited and convinced that I would make an impact as a teacher in the land of the Queen.

According to Mhofu from Luton, teaching in the UK is no walk in the park.
Mhofu: “You know, if it wasn’t for teaching, I probably wouldn’t have travelled as much as I did. It was the teaching that got me around the world. But here in the UK, I got a rude awakening.

I got a teaching job at a school in Luton which was touted to be one of the best schools. I was grateful and overjoyed. On my first day in class the children looked at me as if they were seeing a ghost. One child raised his hand and said to me: ‘Are you an idiot’.
I was shocked; I was a teacher.

I looked at the child and wanted to hit him but I had been warned never to touch a child or I would die in prison. I pretended I had not heard the child then I heard another say: ‘Hey, are you deaf?’ I was so angry and I walked out to make a complaint to the teacher-in -charge. As I stepped out, the classroom broke into uncontrollable laughter. I had never been insulted by a child and let alone a white one. I was so angry l started shaking.

I walked into the teacher-in-charge’s office. He looked at me and said go and control your class first. I walked back in the class and everything that followed made me sick to my gut. I just had to leave the classroom as l did not trust myself not to take my typical ‘teacher action’ against these wayward children. I went home.

I got a call from the school which informed me that I had been fired because I had no confidence and skills of dealing with children.
I then got another job as a teacher. This time, I was called a ‘supply teacher’ who is equivalent to a temporary teacher. The only difference is a supply teacher is a qualified teacher.

I arrived at the school, this time determined to bring some order. As I walked into the classroom, I saw, on the green board, an offensive statement. It was a question: ‘What’s the difference between a monkey and a blackman?’

Just below it was an answer: ‘At least a monkey can climb trees.’ When I asked who wrote that in a very angry voice, the class remained silent.

I turned to the board to rub the offending statement. When I was done and turned to the class, I saw my bag fly out of the window.
I got angry and shouted at the class. The head-teacher and a few other teachers rushed to the class. The pupils all rushed to one corner and on seeing the headmaster, they started screaming.

The headmaster, in front of the children told me I was intimidating the kids and making the learning environment a war zone. I told him they had thrown my bag out of the window and had written racist remarks on the board.

The head-teacher said he could see nothing on the board and the kids shouted that they had thrown it out after I had tried to hit them with it. I was asked to go home and reflect on my teaching skills.

The classroom is controlled by children; you must do what they want and you must not dictate to them. The head takes the word of the child against yours. Now I am working towards extracting myself from a career I was passionate about and I ask myself why?

Those who are thinking of teaching here must brace themselves for a torrid time.” According to Paul Taruvinga: I had my interview with a teaching agency in the UK before I finished University.

I was accepted and so when I arrived in London in 2003 on my UK working holiday visa, I was ready to start my teaching career in Hackney, East London, an area I was soon to discover to be one of London’s most challenging.

I wasn’t quite ready to settle into a full time job so I went straight for the supply (casual, substitute) teaching. This meant I was running all over the East End, going to different schools every day. It was a great way for me to get to know the city.

It was also a fantastic way for me to learn how to be an adaptable teacher – different students, different classes every day.

One day I was called to the headmaster’s office; I was informed that a child had complained that I speak so loud that the child is now having sleepless nights. I was asked to lower my voice or I would be sued if the child went deaf.

I am not a loud speaker; I was shocked. I could not answer. Then one day I was accused of sexual abuse. I was alleged to have touched a girl-child on the shoulder. I was told any form of touching was abuse. I was suspended.

After three months of no pay, I was reinstated. I now hate teaching with a passion.”

John Dickson: “l was reprimanded for calling a child ‘my son’. When I came to school the following day there was a fuming parent who said to me: ‘Hey, my son has a father at this school now!’

I said I didn’t know about that and then she accused me of calling him ‘my son’ the previous day in class. I went numb.

She went to the head and I was seriously admonished.” The culture here is so strange. There is nothing like stopping students from throwing chairs at each other. The schools here are a complete opposite of the schools back home. Teaching is a nightmare here.
It is the most stressful job in the UK.

Copied!
Why is this nonsense just coming out now? Is it because they requested for Teachers? All this evil news will just pop up from no where....lol

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Parachoko: 8:54am On Dec 27, 2022
I go slap any student wey ask me this kin foolish question

I no fit teach in Nigeria or the UK, I no dey take nonsense from anybody, not to talk of kids

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Thegamingorca(m): 8:55am On Dec 27, 2022
grin grin
highbee02:
U can't discourage me, the portal will open on February 1st and I will apply.

This epistle is to discourage those of us in teaching profession. It's now the turn of we teachers to travel out, medical doctors and other professionals are moving out for better pay.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by hadjipapiey(m): 8:55am On Dec 27, 2022
That's a sickening situation to have found oneself, while self esteem will soon be thrown in the thin air. undecided

Bullying and racism are cankerworms printed on the fabrics of pupils in most metropolitan countries; Uk and US especially. sad

Brace up if you are nursing the thought of teaching in those shores .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Thegamingorca(m): 8:55am On Dec 27, 2022
grin
loswhite:
Why is this nonsense just coming out now? Is it because they requested for Teachers? All this evil news will just pop up from no where....lol
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by arantess: 8:55am On Dec 27, 2022
IyaTola:

The day I left for the UK, I was excited and convinced that I would make an impact as a teacher in the land of the Queen.

Mhofu: “You know, if it wasn’t for teaching, I probably wouldn’t have travelled as much as I did. It was the teaching that got me around the world. But here in the UK, I got a rude awakening.

I got a teaching job at a school in Luton which was touted to be one of the best schools. I was grateful and overjoyed. On my first day in class the children looked at me as if they were seeing a ghost. One child raised his hand and said to me: ‘Are you an idiot’.

I looked at the child and wanted to hit him but I had been warned never to touch a child or I would die in prison. I pretended I had not heard the child then I heard another say: ‘Hey, are you deaf?’ I was so angry and I walked out to make a complaint to the teacher-in -charge. As I stepped out, the classroom broke into uncontrollable laughter. I had never been insulted by a child and let alone a white one. I was so angry l started shaking.

I walked into the teacher-in-charge’s office. He looked at me and said go and control your class first. I walked back in the class and everything that followed made me sick to my gut. I just had to leave the classroom as l did not trust myself not to take my typical ‘teacher action’ against these wayward children. I went home.

I got a call from the school which informed me that I had been fired because I had no confidence and skills of dealing with children.
I then got another job as a teacher. This time, I was called a ‘supply teacher’ who is equivalent to a temporary teacher. The only difference is a supply teacher is a qualified teacher.

I arrived at the school, this time determined to bring some order. As I walked into the classroom, I saw, on the green board, an offensive statement. It was a question: ‘What’s the difference between a monkey and a blackman?’

Just below it was an answer: ‘At least a monkey can climb trees.’ When I asked who wrote that in a very angry voice, the class remained silent.

I turned to the board to rub the offending statement. When I was done and turned to the class, I saw my bag fly out of the window.
I got angry and shouted at the class. The head-teacher and a few other teachers rushed to the class. The pupils all rushed to one corner and on seeing the headmaster, they started screaming.

The headmaster, in front of the children told me I was intimidating the kids and making the learning environment a war zone. I told him they had thrown my bag out of the window and had written racist remarks on the board.

The head-teacher said he could see nothing on the board and the kids shouted that they had thrown it out after I had tried to hit them with it. I was asked to go home and reflect on my teaching skills.

The classroom is controlled by children; you must do what they want and you must not dictate to them. The head takes the word of the child against yours. Now I am working towards extracting myself from a career I was passionate about and I ask myself why?

Those who are thinking of teaching here must brace themselves for a torrid time.” According to Paul Taruvinga: I had my interview with a teaching agency in the UK before I finished University.

I was accepted and so when I arrived in London in 2003 on my UK working holiday visa, I was ready to start my teaching career in Hackney, East London, an area I was soon to discover to be one of London’s most challenging.

I wasn’t quite ready to settle into a full time job so I went straight for the supply (casual, substitute) teaching. This meant I was running all over the East End, going to different schools every day. It was a great way for me to get to know the city.

It was also a fantastic way for me to learn how to be an adaptable teacher – different students, different classes every day.

One day I was called to the headmaster’s office; I was informed that a child had complained that I speak so loud that the child is now having sleepless nights. I was asked to lower my voice or I would be sued if the child went deaf.

I am not a loud speaker; I was shocked. I could not answer. Then one day I was accused of sexual abuse. I was alleged to have touched a girl-child on the shoulder. I was told any form of touching was abuse. I was suspended.

After three months of no pay, I was reinstated. I now hate teaching with a passion.”

John Dickson: “l was reprimanded for calling a child ‘my son’. When I came to school the following day there was a fuming parent who said to me: ‘Hey, my son has a father at this school now!’

I said I didn’t know about that and then she accused me of calling him ‘my son’ the previous day in class. I went numb.

She went to the head and I was seriously admonished.” The culture here is so strange. There is nothing like stopping students from throwing chairs at each other. The schools here are a complete opposite of the schools back home. Teaching is a nightmare here.

Copied!
This epistle will not deter those who are interested

Shift

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by zoedew: 8:55am On Dec 27, 2022
Munzy14:

That part got me grin grin grin Africans made the Whiteman place there own heaven on earth.

This is just the beginning sha..
End times things though. Wise Nigerian parents who live abroad get their children educated here and take them back abroad when their formative years are done nicely.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by eyinjuege: 8:55am On Dec 27, 2022
Many teachers in the UK have lost their zeal and passion for the job.
They just go in to the class, write whatever on the board, and go home.
If the children like, let them be shouting , say swear words that's their family problem.
Children pick up on this, and even the good ones start acting up because they know nobody cares.
Shame, no discipline in the schools and at home.
Teaching used to be such a great profession, but even in the UK the teachers are not paid enough for the shit they have to go through.
Anyone planning to relocate, be patient with the children, no need to shout and remember to be defensive about your qualification because they don't waste time in calling the police on you for abuse or whatever and you can lose everything within a blink of an eye.
When I say defensive, see each child as a potential law suit lipsrsealed

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Thegamingorca(m): 8:56am On Dec 27, 2022
hadjipapiey:
That's a sickening situation to have found oneself, while self esteem will soon be thrown in the thin air. undecided

Bullying and racism are cankerworms printed on the fabrics of pupils in most metropolitan countries; Uk and US especially. sad

Brace up if you are nursing the thought of teaching in those shores .
grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Thegamingorca(m): 8:56am On Dec 27, 2022
arantess:

This epistle will not deter those who are interested

Shift

He say shift lol

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by chloedogie(m): 8:57am On Dec 27, 2022
Reference:

You went from an autocracy to a democracy and to you this is hell?

Africans are indeed emotionally unintelligent and poor organisers of workable societies. If they are not allowed to rule in feudal set ups they misfire. Is this the famed legacy of colonialism or what?

LOL says someone who has never written a lesson note before.

Go into one of those classes with your own mentality and come back to share your experience with us. You don't know anything bro. In the next ten years, school education will be almost eradicated in the UK. Come and see how universities are closing down so many faculties and departments for undergraduate programs because no one is attending. Few of their kids go to the university.

If not for Africans and Indians trooping I to the country through postgraduate programs, most of their universities would have been more quiet than a cemetery.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 27, 2022
IyaTola:

Copied!
A lot on my mind now. This is too much to bear after trying to escape from Nigerian abuse n hell you ll now get double from kids that are spoilt from the belly in oversea. Why are they hiring black teachers or let me say foreign teachers when they know that their wayward kids ll make life difficult for them?
Why will a white kid equate blacks to monkeys when there are white apes too which closely resembled the whites?
If not for bad economy, who gives a fuc k about travelling to UK or any racist country?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Thegamingorca(m): 8:57am On Dec 27, 2022
grin grin
eyinjuege:
Many teachers in the UK have lost their zeal and passion for the job.
They just go in to the class, write whatever on the board, and go home.
If the children like, let them be shouting , say swear words that's their family problem.
Children pick up on this, and even the good ones start acting up because they know nobody cares.
Shame, no discipline in the schools and at home.
Teaching used to be such a great profession, but even in the UK the teachers are not paid enough for the shit they have to go through.
Anyone planning to relocate, be patient with the children, no need to shout and remember to be defensive about your qualification because they don't waste time in calling the police on you for abuse or whatever and you can lose everything within a blink of an eye.
When I say defensive, see each child as a potential law suit lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by pedrilo: 8:57am On Dec 27, 2022
We move still
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by hush15: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2022
prepresh:
Please I need the connection to teach in the UK I believe I can do it

It's true....
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by loswhite(m): 9:01am On Dec 27, 2022
iHateFraudsters:

Discouragement?

The same OP just told you that the opportunity will be open to Nigerians in February.

The same OP just told you that you should prepare for ielts, get ready money for tb test and police report.

How is that discouraging?

Someone is trying to prepare you guys for a different type of life and you're here yarning dust.

Typical Nigerian mentality.
Obviously you don't know the difference between preparing someone and discouragement.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 9:05am On Dec 27, 2022
he is correct. if you teach in the uk you have to kill your ego. meaning you have to accept that the children are greater than you and can yab you or throw balled up papers at you while you are teaching and nothing you can do about it. if you cannot accept that reality then uk teaching is not for you. women and children are the most powerful in that society and can do and undo. the laws revolve around them.

truthfully you have to be a captivating personality and a great orator and very witty before they can respect you. you control them with your oratory skills and wit and when they get enthralled by you then they will calm down and give you your respect. over there you have to earn your respect. they dont give it to you. dont come there with an african accent either. try to neutralise your accent or they will yab you taya

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Newness2019: 9:12am On Dec 27, 2022
I KNOW THE CULTURE SO I WON'T BE OFFENDED.

I WOULD SIMPLY SAY NO, I AM A TEACHER, REMEMBERING WHAT BROUGHT ME THERE FROM MY COUNTRY.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Kenmatt(m): 9:12am On Dec 27, 2022
You said you have passion for teaching as it's what you love doing, but from what I have read from this piece of writing, you don't have any passion for teaching let alone having the skills and the mental stamina as well as the knowledge and understanding to teach these white Children.

Low Self-esteem has eaten deep into your system.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by IbrahimSkiba(f): 9:12am On Dec 27, 2022
advanceDNA:

Relax....the portal will open to nigerians by february...

go and start preparing for your ielts, get ready money for tb test and police report....jappaa no easy oooo... and its not all course.... its more of ...maths, biology, physics, chemistry

Nawa
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 27, 2022
pocohantas:
Nawa. UK done really suffer for our hand.
Analysis and criticisms ear and dear.

But Africans talk too loudly sha. Especially Nigerians. You won’t know because you are used to it. It gives me sleepless nights too. grin

Nairaland town crier don drop quote!

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by AndroidAI(m): 9:15am On Dec 27, 2022
iHateFraudsters:

Discouragement?

The same OP just told you that the opportunity will be open to Nigerians in February.

The same OP just told you that you should prepare for ielts, get ready money for tb test and police report.

How is that discouraging?

Someone is trying to prepare you guys for a different type of life and you're here yarning dust.

Typical Nigerian mentality.

It's simply reversed psychology. Telling you how the UK is hell, then told you to apply. Who in his right sense will apply?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by emperorlaqrin: 9:18am On Dec 27, 2022
somehow:
Stubborn and ignorant people don't ask salient questions.

Why is the UK short of teachers?

A country known for education tourism short of home grown teachers.

Should that not pique your curiosity?

Bros they are not only short of teachers. With little that I have seen it’s we immigrants that do most of the jobs in every sector. Don’t be surprised in years to come unskilled workers go soon follow

10 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Chosimba: 9:19am On Dec 27, 2022
obedience4:
Fake , there is no way ° a difference between a monkey and a black man will be on a UK school board

Lies lies lies

The whole story seems to be one big lie. There are black kids in every school and there is no way they'd let that be on the board. Even the very white, more remote areas have very well behaved kids.

London is challenging no doubt, but the writer seems to believe he has no fault in the way the story played out. He obviously didn't do his research as his first go-to solution was to hit the children.

As a parent picking up your kids, you're not allowed to speak to ANY other children except your own, even to ask for directions. You definitely aren't allowed to shout in any way or form to adults talk less of kids.

Bottom line, I know many great teachers who are African and have a nice time..

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:19am On Dec 27, 2022
SmartyPants:

Why look at it that way?

Someone is giving you information so that you know what you're getting into. If you are happy to proceed, that's on you. If you are scared, that's on you.

But you should know that there is a reason why the UK is short of homegrown teachers.
Correct
because their citizens no longer want to take up the dirty job they now see as "trashy"

That's what will eventually destroy their civilization.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Cardinal Stone 2015 Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test!!! / Online Sales Reps Needed! / Union Bank Calling For Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.