Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? (40135 Views)

I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? / What Does Working Hard Actually Mean To You? / What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Creativity22: 10:46am On Dec 27, 2022
highbee02:
U can't discourage me, the portal will open on February 1st and I will apply.

This epistle is to discourage those of us in teaching profession. It's now the turn of we teachers to travel out, medical doctors and other professionals are moving out for better pay.
Discourage you to what gain ? Some of you guys talk anyhow

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by naturalwaves: 10:46am On Dec 27, 2022
uchman:

We move still my brother because £2300 pounds a month is running into #1.5M if not more...
Whatever they want, they should write on the board, it's not my concern.
My concern will only be the £££ which I have already calculated in my mind.

This post have been long why plenty people come dey comment today abi is it now on front page?
That is before tax. After tax , what would you be left with? After paying for your accomodation, what would you be left with and then bills too. A shared apartment can even cost as much as 700k a month . Something like a self con can cost as high as 1M to 1.2M a month. Teachers are generally poorly remunerated worldwide. In my opinion, the offer is trash.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by ibkayee(f): 10:48am On Dec 27, 2022
sukkot:
nna mayneeeeeeeeee all the kids are the same. whether na grammar or normal or private school. all spoilt brats with a sense of superiority to any other race and they are ready to give you wotowoto especially if you are from africa cheesy
I'm saying 'wotowoto' that comes in the form of violent slaps is more likely to come from a normal state school. Grammar and private school kids are troublesome too but their misbehaviour will likely manifest itself in other ways, not violent slaps on the teacher grin

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Donpenny(m): 10:49am On Dec 27, 2022
Association of private schools proprietors media propagandist skillfully doing his job to discourage their slavery staffs from leaving by February grin. From feb next if you guys don't review your staffs salaries , you will Have to enter class by yourself

6 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by SmartPolician: 10:49am On Dec 27, 2022
Agbadocassava:
You don’t need to go anywhere when Tinubu becomes the president, he values education and gives teachers priority.

Do you think Tinubu will be the person running this country if he wins?

Those criminals in government like him will be running this country and he will be too old to check what they do. He will only act on reports he gets.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by obedience4(m): 10:49am On Dec 27, 2022
cescky:

you seem to be a reallife monkey...you where not there when it happened but confidently say its a lie...in pulblic black footballers rashford etc are called monkeys, then an illitrate stays here and calls a story fake...omo

See this one, we haven't stayed aboard ba?
Social media racism and writing something on the board are they the same?
Writing such a thing on a school board, will instigate an investigation and such a thing would cause a huge out cry,
No UK school that don't have black kids..
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by adetayoonas(m): 10:50am On Dec 27, 2022
somehow:
Stubborn and ignorant people don't ask salient questions.

Why is the UK short of teachers?

A country known for education tourism short of home grown teachers.

Should that not pique your curiosity?

You are on point
The pay is even small

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Ahleebomaye: 10:51am On Dec 27, 2022
Nigerian teachers go finish those children, just wait and see... �

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 10:51am On Dec 27, 2022
ibkayee:

I'm saying 'wotowoto' that comes in the form of violent slaps is more likely to come from a normal state school. Grammar and private school kids are troublesome too but their misbehaviour will likely manifest itself in other ways, not violent slaps grin
forget that thing oooo. teachers collect hot slaps from students in normal and grammar and private schools. and quite frankly as a black person nobody is hiring you into private or grammar schools anyway. you are going to state schools were young jamaican thugs will be slapping you everyday cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by naturalwaves: 10:52am On Dec 27, 2022
ecolime:
£28,000 per year means a 'life of slavery' or 'lifetime rat race' What can £2,300 per month in UK do for you? The suffer no be small.

However, if you are a private school teacher in Naija, you can give it a consideration. For government teachers, you are much better off here.
What makes you think government school teachers are better off?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Reference(m): 10:53am On Dec 27, 2022
Evilstorm:

This has nothing to do with colonialism, our culture and traditions are different. A Chinese or Japanese would find the attitude of those students shocking. Do you know that in Japan, pupils are only taught on manners, respect and self discipline? They are mandated to clean their class room and to perform other non related formal educational activities in their childhood and the result has brought about one of the most organize set of citizens in the world. I'm sure you've heard about their exceptional conduct at Qatar during the world cup. This achievement boils down to their good educational system and it should be the one Africans should emulate. The western world is going crazy and we should not go down with them by copying and pasting.

A police man shot a non threatening civilian in our so called 'disciplined' culture over the weekend.
What school again did the policeman attend and how come in the 'indisciplined' United Kingdom these kinds of acts are not 'cultural'.
But the common thread to all these events is clear.

The fact is, the black man always feels threatened and thus cannot see himself making headway if he is not in 'control', by coercion if necessary.
We see it everyday in our politics, governance, business and work spaces.
We find it extremely hard to manage people of diversity and tolerate dissent, particularly when they do not present in 'our image'.

You walk into a class and see something 'insulting' on the board and it 'blows up your psyche'..... children oh..... then how do you handle 'unruly adults'.... like our ASP.... you just shoot them for 'indiscipline'.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by ibkayee(f): 10:53am On Dec 27, 2022
sukkot:
forget that thing oooo. teachers collect hot slaps from students in normal and grammar and private schools. and quite frankly as a black person nobody is hiring you into private or grammar schools anyway. you are going to state schools were young jamaican thugs will be slapping you everyday cheesy
Lmao clown

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by jeromestarks: 10:54am On Dec 27, 2022
prepresh:
Please I need the connection to teach in the UK I believe I can do it
Hahahaha, you won't last an hour there.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by obedience4(m): 10:55am On Dec 27, 2022
KosiGee:

I thought the same. I didn’t believe such offensive statement would be written on the board and the teacher would not complain Ti the head teacher or invite another colleague to witness that…she instead decided to turn her back and wipe it off. Loads of rubbish. Where was this copied from? Source?

Her bag was thrown out the classroom and not a single student was with her in that when they were queried. Nonsense.

Hackney, London can be difficult place to live or teach…lots of Nigerians and Caribbeans there. Home to some of gangs causing trouble in East London as well but the schools are not as bad as it’s being painted here. There are lots of very hard working children of Nigerian parents there who want to excel and who still fear and respect their parents and elders especially teachers.

For those who don’t know Hackney, it’s not far from Stratford, site of the London Olympic stadium and it was home to Matthew Ashimolowo’s KICC church.

There are challenges being a teacher in the Uk but I disagree with the picture painted by the op.

True, they are racism in the UK, and teachers face a lot not just black teachers, both white children in the UK especially London suburbans are normally rude and disrespectful to tutors
But writing such a thing on a UK school board, will cause outrage, even local media will cover it.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by 9ty4our: 10:55am On Dec 27, 2022
You are indeed an idiot if you don't relocate back to your country and stop posting rubbish.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by spiritedtete: 10:57am On Dec 27, 2022
Mindlog:

Explain how to apply reverse psychology within the context of the story, OP shared.

Spot the most troublesome of the kids and praise him or her... how beautiful she is(praising tonnot flattering tone) and you know he will be very brave... use that logic to extend to the trouble makers of the class. There are others ways.

Like the monkey thing written on the board the first thing to Do is to be silent.. mean eyes.. walk to the board and take snap shot.. and tell them how you will tell the whole world about There behaviour it will be in the news and the culprit will be disgraced... this is for kids in like grade 4 or 5. There are many ways to shut them up. Just build up a certain mechanism.

My kids are the only black in their school... sometimes I get lots of complaints from them. And I told them what to do everytime and it worked. They even started doing too much I had to caution them.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by FireUpNow(m): 10:57am On Dec 27, 2022
Everything has its own demerits. There are also very successful teachers from Africa in UK schools. Some teachers in Nigeria seems to misbehave a lot and talk too loud and aggressive
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 10:57am On Dec 27, 2022
ibkayee:

Lmao clown

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by millionboi(m): 10:59am On Dec 27, 2022
prepresh:
Please I need the connection to teach in the UK I believe I can do it
na so you go dey run your mouth now,wen time come you will b dieing and can't talk

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Inosky(m): 11:03am On Dec 27, 2022
I can cope teaching anywhere. But UK's pay for teachers is nothing to write home about.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 11:05am On Dec 27, 2022

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by naturalwaves: 11:05am On Dec 27, 2022
spiritedtete:

Spot the most troublesome of the kids and praise him or her... how beautiful she is and you know he will be very brave... use that logic to extend to the trouble makers of the class. There are others ways.

Like the monkey thing written on the board the first thing to Do is to be silent.. mean eyes.. walk to the board and take snap shot.. and tell them how you will tell the whole world about There behaviour it will be in the news and the culprit will be disgraced... this is for kids in like grade 4 or 5. There are many ways to shut them up. Just build up a certain mechanism.

My kids are the only black in their school... sometimes I get lots of complaints from them. And I told them what to do everytime and it worked. They even started doing too much I had to caution them.
How beautiful she is? So that you can be in trouble again for harassment. Why are you all trying to form experts

6 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by matm: 11:06am On Dec 27, 2022
How much is the pay?
If the pay is ok, whether they understand your teaching or not, keep talking, once your period is over, you go home.
Focus on money and not on making impacts on the learners since they and their parents don't care.Just have money mindset and nothing more. Afterall, u won't eat respect or their good behaviour.And if they become useful tomorrow, it's their parents that will gain and not you.
And when you make ur money, u japa back to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by dollarnaira: 11:06am On Dec 27, 2022
somehow:
Stubborn and ignorant people don't ask salient questions.

Why is the UK short of teachers?

A country known for education tourism short of home grown teachers.

Should that not pique your curiosity?

Lol
The moment some of us hear UK we view it as heaven. Let them go first and give us review.

A villager will run down to Lagos thinking money grows on every streets.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by dollarnaira: 11:07am On Dec 27, 2022
matm:
How much is the pay?
If the pay is ok, whether they understand your teaching or not, keep talking, once your period is over, you go home.
Focus on money and not on making impacts on the learners since they and their parents don't care.Just gave money mindset and nothing more Afterall, u won't eat respect or their good behaviour.
And when you make ur money, u japa back to Nigeria.

Money is too small to save.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by chloedogie(m): 11:09am On Dec 27, 2022
shantti:

U dey mind him.
People that have never taught for once in their lives will be here saying nonsense.

Let him go and teach just for an hour, he will see what we r facing as teachers.

Students enjoy humiliating teachers directly or indirectly. I remembered when i stammered just a little in class if you see the roars of humiliating laughter, in fact, the whole school had to enter my class to know what's wrong, and they joined in the laughter, I just stood there, hopelessly watching them laugh me.

U will be teaching and they will be hoping u make mistakes so they will disrupt d class with laughter. And I don't even flog.

Someone somewhere that have never entered d class will be capping bullshit about African teachers having primitive mentality yen yen yen, not knowing what we r passing through

Go and check where d idiot is working, it won't be surprising if he is d worst staff who doesn't know his job

You know if evidence of age is part of registration on nairaland, 3/4 will be disqualified from here. They are kids maybe in 200l studying library science and feel they have say on every topic. Some of them can't even boast of travelling up to four states within the country but can tell you what's going on in Australia.

The annoying part is they have very myopic opinions with no element of sense in it. I can never try teaching in the Western country. Even when I did in Nigeria, it was hell as shit. Give it to teachers what they go through daily, na only God fit compensate them.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by membranus: 11:12am On Dec 27, 2022
iHateFraudsters:

Discouragement?

The same OP just told you that the opportunity will be open to Nigerians in February.

The same OP just told you that you should prepare for ielts, get ready money for tb test and police report.

How is that discouraging?

Someone is trying to prepare you guys for a different type of life and you're here yarning dust.

Typical Nigerian mentality.

You are also exhibiting the same typical Nigerian mentality in being insultive and negative to every person you believe is in opposition to your own view.

It is irritating, stop it. If he wants to teach abroad despite all odds, why are you taking it personal?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by millionboi(m): 11:12am On Dec 27, 2022
highbee02:
U can't discourage me, the portal will open on February 1st and I will apply.

This epistle is to discourage those of us in teaching profession. It's now the turn of we teachers to travel out, medical doctors and other professionals are moving out for better pay.
can you listen to yourself,who is stopping you nonsense......if u move will u b the 1st or last nonsense.

Go and bite your fingers dia who cares,you will just be suffering and smiling bcoz by then shame no go allow you talk nonsense

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by chloedogie(m): 11:14am On Dec 27, 2022
spiritedtete:

Spot the most troublesome of the kids and praise him or her... how beautiful she is and you know he will be very brave... use that logic to extend to the trouble makers of the class. There are others ways.

You must be a joke. I can point out five things in your ideas that will lead you to jail. The least for each count is five years in a correctional centre. Some of you don't know shit about UK laws when it comes to children. Lol. You are funny sha. cheesy grin.

You will need a lawyer to get minimal punishment. And hope you know how much it takes to get a lawyer in the UK per hour. Not all these charge and bail nuisance ones in Nigeria with 25k they can represent you for a full year oo.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Mindlog: 11:16am On Dec 27, 2022
spiritedtete:

I believe you know the highlighted is unacceptable to the school management, teachers are not expected to record or snap such in the classroom....now, the threat to broadcast such is very unethical.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by eben97: 11:18am On Dec 27, 2022
jchioma:

Chai!

These oyinbo children are something else. No fear, not to talk of respect. I'm still contemplating whether I should allow my children attend school abroad.

"The culture here is so strange. There is nothing like stopping students from throwing chairs at each other. The schools here are a complete opposite of the schools back home. Teaching is a nightmare here."
AFTER MY small many years experience in this field both with d whites and d blacks,let give u my two cent;never allow your young kidson age lower than 18 to go study out there. The level of negative influence no be here o! No matter how strong u are .once you notice your child is not stable with character, please let white mans land wait untill he or she becomes very stable in character else that child Would become a Waste! Even to u a t d end of d day.they can go to d uni for masters but if they must go 4 degrees, please ensure they are already moulded and formed !

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by chloedogie(m): 11:18am On Dec 27, 2022
Mindlog:

I believe you know the highlighted is unacceptable to the school management, teachers are not expected to record or snap such in the classroom....now, the threat to broadcast such is very unethical.

Start with his first line calling a child troublesome can lead the child into a mental breakdown or affect the child's esteem in life permanently. Does he know the implication of that? Some people who claim to know everything know nothing. Let him or her just go and teach for two hours and come back to share his experience in that UK class. Lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Cardinal Stone 2015 Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test!!! / Online Sales Reps Needed! / Union Bank Calling For Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.