Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? (40142 Views)

I've Just Been Employed As A Teacher, What Should I Do Next? / What Does Working Hard Actually Mean To You? / What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 9:50am On Dec 27, 2022
BATified2023:
this is a pure lie

Assault is taken serious irrespective of whatever way it swings

Students too have their limits bro
bro its true. it is their word against yours and every kid in the class will say you are lying. and they dont charge children in the uk for things like that. maybe the usa ? not the uk. instead they will just get rid of the teacher to sweep the case under the rug.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by ibkayee(f): 9:50am On Dec 27, 2022
being:
U haven't even mentioned the 40% tax yet..

And some will completely ignore the situation described above forgetting that having a 1-0-1 food regime in Nigeria is better than being insulted by kids...
Actually with that salary it will be a 20% tax rate on anything above £12,571 so the take home will not be £2,300 @ecolime

£28,000 is a low salary sha, teachers in the UK are notoriously paid low. Even private school teachers aren't paid much better

But then again, is it much better in Naija? Anyone planning to take this opportunity should weigh their options and pick their poison

That saying, many people trying to japa are also looking for a saner and better functioning society, not just money

Good luck to them

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by juman(m): 9:52am On Dec 27, 2022
If you have reliable and good job in nigeria dont throw it away, dont apply.
In first world the teaching environment is insultive, disrespective and ridiculing to teachers.

A school boy was shouting and making lot of noise in the class to disturb others.
The teacher requested that the boy should better be taken to another class room so that those his friends he wanted to impress with his rude attitude would not be there.

The head teacher said no, the boy has right to be in that particular class.
The teacher resign immediately.
The teacher is white woman.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Adelaide54: 9:52am On Dec 27, 2022
Reference:

You went from an autocracy to a democracy and to you this is hell?

Africans are indeed emotionally unintelligent and poor organisers of workable societies. If they are not allowed to rule in feudal set ups they misfire. Is this the famed legacy of colonialism or what?

Don't mind them. We're supposed to be eating their poo. Because, come to think of it, these oyinbo people are better than us in all ways. They pity us to be coming to their country so we can be successful in life. Do you think an average Nigerian can be successful without setting foot in the abroad? Hell No. Seriously, we're supposed to slave ourselves to death to satisfy the White people. Thanks to them, Nigerians are doing really fine today

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by uchman(m): 9:53am On Dec 27, 2022
sukkot:
he is correct. if you teach in the uk you have to kill your ego. meaning you have to accept that the children are greater than you and can yab you or throw balled up papers at you while you are teaching and nothing you can do about it. if you cannot accept that reality then uk teaching is not for you. women and children are the most powerful in that society and can do and undo. the laws revolve around them.

truthfully you have to be a captivating personality and a great orator and very witty before they can respect you. you control them with your oratory skills and wit and when they get enthralled by you then they will calm down and give you your respect. over there you have to earn your respect. they dont give it to you. dont come there with an african accent either. try to neutralise your accent or they will yab you taya

This one fear me but no problem, make dey yab.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by uchman(m): 9:54am On Dec 27, 2022
Newness2019:
I KNOW THE CULTURE SO I WON'T BE OFFENDED.

I WOULD SIMPLY SAY NO, I AM A TEACHER, REMEMBERING WHAT BROUGHT ME THERE FROM MY COUNTRY.

... and the pounds involved.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:54am On Dec 27, 2022
UK is commencing tier 2 for teachers and you are here trying to dissuade people. Not good.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by advanceDNA: 9:54am On Dec 27, 2022
Hezzyluv:

U guys are just putting fear on me oooo

No naaaaaaa!!!!
Why are u afraid??
because of children being naughty and abusive...

U go just ignore them naaa...
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Adelaide54: 9:55am On Dec 27, 2022
GloriousGbola:
When you get to a place where authority is not by physical intimidation.

Someone goes abroad and says the culture is so strange.

Better stay in your place where the culture is normal and everyone is a bully

Nonsense.

Don't mind them. We're supposed to be eating their poo. Because, come to think of it, these oyinbo people are better than us in all ways. They pity us to be coming to their country so we can be successful in life. Do you think an average Nigerian can be successful without setting foot in the abroad? Hell No. Seriously, we're supposed to slave ourselves to death to satisfy the White people. Thanks to them, Nigerians are doing really fine today . I pray we all have a chance to go abroad so we can all be successful in life
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Hezzyluv: 9:57am On Dec 27, 2022
arantess:

This epistle will not deter those who are interested

Shift

Go 2ru what he has written, he's not discouraging anyone. He's just telling those willing to apply to brace up for what may betide them. If na to deter people from applying, him no go let you know what it takes to apply na.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by LordIsaac(m): 9:57am On Dec 27, 2022
Nigerians will soon learn that not everything is about money and "making it". For the first time, in the UK, they will see that there's more to life than materialism.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by LordErrk: 9:58am On Dec 27, 2022
sukkot:
name one ? i know personally many teachers in the uk,including many of my exes who were white oooo and some black who are suffering from post traumatic stress disorder from teaching uk children. thats the problem with some of you guys who just open mouth anyhow oooo is you dont understand africa and uk are two different places. children woould come and slap you while you are teaching just because of your accent or you are bllack and you cant do nothing about it ooooo. this is not naija where mr nwosu will come to classroom with plenty cane and be flogging kids upanda. if you even raise your voice against any kids talk less of even mistakenly touching them you are going to prison. you never jam.

Una wey never reach cotonou go just come here dey yarn nonsense. No one can assault you and go free, and raising your voice won't take you to jail. Bloody hell

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by GreenCovering: 10:00am On Dec 27, 2022
No this can't be real.

sad
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by juman(m): 10:01am On Dec 27, 2022
A teacher in nigeria that is doing side business, a hardworking person, would be successful than most people living abroad.
FACT.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by meobizy(f): 10:01am On Dec 27, 2022
Funny story. Tech jobs plenty that side. With the patience one imbibes from teaching, jumping into the industry is easy.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Thermodynamics(m): 10:03am On Dec 27, 2022
Ttup:
I'm
Cool
You don't change your message, you de find runs girls for port Harcourt and you de ask people for money for nairaland. Wetin you wan use the money for? To carry runs girl?
You are not serious.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Adelaide54: 10:04am On Dec 27, 2022
fernandoc:
If they want cruise we will cruise away their time after which I get paid in pounds sterling. If you ask if I’m an idiot I will answer it’s you father that’s an idiot.

Are you mad? Never say this to a white man. If not for them, we'd never be able to make it this far in life. Even if they ask to open your mouth and pee inside, it's worth it. Mind you, their pee doesn't smell. We're supposed to be eating their poo. Because, come to think of it, these oyinbo people are better than us in all ways. They pity us to be coming to their country so we can be successful in life. Do you think an average Nigerian can be successful without setting foot in the abroad? Hell No. Seriously, we're supposed to slave ourselves to death to satisfy the White people. Thanks to them, Nigerians are doing really fine today

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by BATified2023: 10:04am On Dec 27, 2022
sukkot:
bro its true. it is their word against yours and every kid in the class will say you are lying. and they dont charge children in the uk for things like that. maybe the usa ? not the uk. instead they will just get rid of the teacher to sweep the case under the rug.
I get your point but they don’t joke with assault
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Xiaohei(m): 10:04am On Dec 27, 2022
Adelaide54:

Don't mind them. We're supposed to be eating their poo. Because, come to think of it, these oyinbo people are better than us in all ways. They pity us to be coming to their country so we can be successful in life. Do you think an average Nigerian can be successful without setting foot in the abroad? Hell No. Seriously, we're supposed to slave ourselves to death to satisfy the White people. Thanks to them, Nigerians are doing really fine today

Joking? Or are you just being sarcastic? I don’t think you meant what you wrote there.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Adelaide54: 10:04am On Dec 27, 2022
kunlegboye:
Seeing these comments is not a surprise!...An African can do anything to take shit! in a foreign land but cannot do anything to make his/her own work.beautiful culture back home they despised and ready to be the white man slave!

Are you mad? Never say this to a white man. If not for them, we'd never be able to make it this far in life. Even if they ask to open your mouth and pee inside, it's worth it. Mind you, their pee doesn't smell. We're supposed to be eating their poo. Because, come to think of it, these oyinbo people are better than us in all ways. They pity us to be coming to their country so we can be successful in life. Do you think an average Nigerian can be successful without setting foot in the abroad? Hell No. Seriously, we're supposed to slave ourselves to death to satisfy the White people. Thanks to them, Nigerians are doing really fine today
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 10:04am On Dec 27, 2022
uchman:

This one fear me but no problem, make dey yab.
so long as you can kill your ego you will be fine. kill your ego and accept that the kids are your master and they can treat you anyhow and talk to you anyhow. if you can master that aspect of yourself ? you will be alright

you have to understand that you are a black man from what they view as a failed continent. they already view you as an inferior being and they dont understand why an inferior being should teach them who are Superior beings ? so right there you are starting off in a pit when you teach in the uk and the question is can you dig yourself out of the pit and into a position of respect amongst these kids ? do you have what it takes ? the wit, the personality, the charisma, the oratory skills ? do you have what it takes to make them reverse their opinions about you being an inferior stupid being from a failed continent ? and quite frankly if you have what it takes why are you wasting such a talent being a teacher ? you should be a ceo in a fortune 500 company cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by tony9k: 10:05am On Dec 27, 2022
I saw his post on a whatshap forum last week and sent it to a friend who has been a teacher in the UK including the town under reference (Luton) for over ten years. The first thing he said is that the mode of enforcement of discipline for students in the Uk is completely different from Africa so any african in the UK will regards the discipline as lax. The treatment of children and young people is also different, An example he said is that corporal punishment (flogging) in african schools is basically abuse (child abuse) which africans (including some children) regard as right.

Apart from that Luton town schools generally are regarded as below average in terms of behaviour in the UK. A town close by - Harpenden - has 3 schools which are state schools where their behaviour is exemplary. In any school, especially the poorly behaved ones the critical issue is their behaviour management policy so if children are disruptive - throwing chairs making unnecessary noise etc they are warned and after 3 warnings are taken out of the class so others can learn. In each class there are a minority of students who are regularly disruptive and they can be sanctioned if persistent - from staying behind after school for 1 hour (detention) to exclusion for a few days to permanent exclusion.

It should also be noted that the attitude to teachers posted to schools temporarily (Supply Teacher) is different from a permanent teacher as students are more disruptive if the teacher is Supply. The narration appear as an exaggeration both from the behaviour of students (calling a teacher idiot and the racist language) and the authorities (the school will not condone such behaviour);

Like in the outside society you cannot touch anybody without permission so the sanctions approved is detention (staying behind during break, lunch or after school depending on the severity of the offence,

The poorly behaved students are a minority and the key issue is how the school authorities manages them

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 10:07am On Dec 27, 2022
BATified2023:
I get your point but they don’t joke with assault
white children against black man ? you lose all the time. they will joke with assault in those circumstances. you will be the one they will fire

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Adelaide54: 10:08am On Dec 27, 2022
Xiaohei:

Joking? Or are you just being sarcastic? I don’t think you meant what you wrote there.

Joking as how? If a man ask you to open your mouth to pee inside, you won't do it to leave Nigeria? They're superior to us by all standard. They're more intelligent and they do better in everything. We're like slave to them and that's what we should be. I don't like it when people talk thrash about abroad. We should be happy they think we're worthy enough to cone to their country
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by shantti(m): 10:08am On Dec 27, 2022
SocialJustice:
Bush primitive man. I definitely want my kids being educated in the UK. What a system. This story is an indictment on the African education system.

U want a system where your kids have the leverage to emotionally torture their teachers

Bro do u know how difficult and frustrating is it to teach.

Bro I would like you to teach kids just for a day and u will realize that the teachers r d victims and not d students

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Thazard(m): 10:08am On Dec 27, 2022
gringringrin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by sukkot: 10:11am On Dec 27, 2022
LordErrk:

Una wey never reach cotonou go just come here dey yarn nonsense. No one can assault you and go free, and raising your voice won't take you to jail. Bloody hell
the uk is a land of unique circumstances. you raise your voice against children thats an assault. you may not do time in prison but you will do a few hours in a jail cell . and what do you mean no one can assault you and go free ? maybe in america but in the uk assault is no big deal like that . just depends on who is being assaulted. if its a white woman or children then they will make it a big deal. if its guys or immigrants ? its no big deal

5 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Xiaohei(m): 10:12am On Dec 27, 2022
Adelaide54:

Joking as how? If a man ask you to open your mouth to pee inside, you won't do it to leave Nigeria? They're superior to us by all standard. They're more intelligent and they do better in everything. We're like slave to them and that's what we should be. I don't like it when people talk thrash about abroad. We should be happy they think we're worthy enough to cone to their country

Wow this is really serious man. You should speak for yourself. Next time you see a Caucasian, you should tell him or her to take a dump in your mouth!

6 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by jedisco(m): 10:13am On Dec 27, 2022
being:
U haven't even mentioned the 40% tax yet..

And some will completely ignore the situation described above forgetting that having a 1-0-1 food regime in Nigeria is better than being insulted by kids...

Understand how the tax system in the UK works.

There are many people in the UK who are out of job which the government funds. Thats simply means the government had to make earning a wage desirable.

First taxation is based on thresholds. Only the part of wage above a 50k will be taxed at 40%. That is above the band most teachers are paid.

Having a good part of your pay taxed at 40% is a privilege. It's what many people aim to achieve. Many would rather be a 'higher band' tax payer in the UK (i.e pay 40% above 50k income) than earn 1.5 million monthly in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by jchioma: 10:14am On Dec 27, 2022
tabaralph:

Your second paragraph killed it and the funniest thing about all this is that if any of the students get injured by throwing chairs at each other the teacher will still be punished for not being able to control them well

Exactly, the system is mad and sad at the same time. Imagine, with no just recourse to the teacher, their feelings are not considered. It's unfortunate when teachers don't get the respect and due recognition they deserve.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? by Adelaide54: 10:15am On Dec 27, 2022
Xiaohei:

Wow this is really serious man. You should speak for yourself. Next time you see a Caucasian, you should tell him or her to take a dump in your mouth!

I will. It's one of my ultimate goal. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Cardinal Stone 2015 Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test!!! / Online Sales Reps Needed! / Union Bank Calling For Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.