Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,960 members, 7,814,248 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk (39491 Views)

My Journey From Maiduguri To Lagos||worse Experience Ever. / Lagos Has The Worst Case Of Traffic Congestion In The World? (Photos) / Zero Visibility At Toll/7up Road, A Case For Serious Concern (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by KosiGee(m): 4:07pm On Jan 03, 2023
koife:

Yeah but Lowestoft campus

All the best. Lowestoft is a seaside town with lots of water, old buildings and annoying seagulls.
Try and make friends with Nigerians in Ipswich.

2 Likes

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by bonnyhope: 4:10pm On Jan 03, 2023
dplordx:
Human beings;
You Dey country where you get 24/7 light
With good security
With peace of mind if small change dey
With leaders who give a damn about you
With decent neighbors who nor Dey disturb your life
Still you dey look for family and Naija friends wahala. Alaye, try dey grateful nah

The guy just wan talk

Na him type the run from family and friends for naija here......shm..m

2 Likes

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by uvie66: 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2023
lexy2014:

Who force una go UK?
yesoooo...at least Man fit come naija two or three times a year come flex, you dey naija no money na so so window shopping you go dey do according to fifty cents

2 Likes

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by iammolise(m): 4:17pm On Jan 03, 2023
The abroad folks don't do partying during xmas, they only do quiet get-together, hold carol services and do gift exchange, lowkey stuff no gragra, its their way of life bro... Maybe they party on new year but it has to be in closed doors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by lexy2014: 4:25pm On Jan 03, 2023
uvie66:
yesoooo...at least Man fit come naija two or three times a year come flex, you dey naija no money na so so window shopping you go dey do according to fifty cents

you havent answered the question. you are complaining about UK. Who forced you to go to UK?
Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by lexy2014: 4:26pm On Jan 03, 2023
Godsgift7837:
who no go no know bros. Life abroad no sweet reach naija. I miss my country and I miss my mama food

then what are you still doing there?

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 4:32pm On Jan 03, 2023
koife:
Hello nairalanders, I am particularly compelled to pen this down as I observe my first Xmas away from nja.

Omo forget, nja get swag, community life and it's much fun there during this time of the year.

Yeah, we have our own bad side, but mehn, our social and family life is none to compare with.

Can you imagine, a whole Xmas, the place be like say na curfew Dem declare... Everybody "on your own". Mall shut, pubs shut, kababs, shut, no taxi....everywhere dead.

D one wia pain me pass na say I never carry eye see my flatmate since two days now. Abi this people normal so, or abi na over civilization dey worry Dem? I am so bored and tired that I had to drive out and to my greatest surprise na dead dry town I see. If na nja I dey so, na steady balling...huz to huz chopinz, visits, laughter, palmy, give away, oloshi lmao etc.

Abroad mongers abeg I carry God name beg una, stay back ooo nja na Diamond and Gold. Una no know wetin una get untill una come hia.

By the way, if any nja correct guy dey around Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK abeg make we connect gather make some noice jor, even if na Norwich I go drive come.

I run come hia, as we no get better education. If e bin dey, I nor for come hia lailai.

Meanwhile, seasons greetings y'all.
Much love.
Xoxo

Even Canada is not this bad lol *looking at the pics* grin
Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by Gerrard59(m): 4:36pm On Jan 03, 2023
lexy2014:

you havent answered the question. you are complaining about UK. Who forced you to go to UK?

Don't mind the bloody hypocrites! Tell them to work hard to make Nigeria a functioning place so that they can shout, travel to far-flung places without being waylaid and drink shayo amidst prosperity and security, mbanu. Move to a new place and start craving the Nigerian experience only to dissuade others from moving.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 4:37pm On Jan 03, 2023
SouthCaroliina:
Once I’m settled abroad like after 4-5 years, I’ll always come home for xmas with family and friends. Naija xmas too sweet abeg. Pack enough dollars come. Sleep the highest hotel, Bleep the highest bitch, go the highest club. After celebration come back to my abroad again till next December

Abi. A case of eating your cake and have it. For naija insecurity, take local flight from MMA or Nnamdi Azikiwe to your city's airport and rent a car there or book a rental car service in your city tell them to bring the car to you at the airport for extra fees. Now, that is what is called eating your cake and having it.

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by uvie66: 4:37pm On Jan 03, 2023
lexy2014:

lack of good wages, insecurity, and 24 hour power supply forced me to go

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by lexy2014: 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2023
uvie66:
lack of good wages, insecurity, and 24 hour power supply forced me to go

then why are you complaining? if UK no favour you, pack your bags and come back and manage your "lack of good wages, insecurity, and 24 hour power supply".

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2023
dplordx:
Human beings;
You Dey country where you get 24/7 light
With good security
With peace of mind if small change dey
With leaders who give a damn about you
With decent neighbors who nor Dey disturb your life
Still you dey look for family and Naija friends wahala. Alaye, try dey grateful nah

And you think it comes cheap? Like the OP said, experience is the best teacher. People should lower their expectations when planning to Japa. The grace is not always greener at the other side, many are depressed low key.
Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 4:41pm On Jan 03, 2023
Kenn55:

Do you have Nigerian community in your area? Or are you the only Nigerian there?

Do you attend a Nigerian church? Do you relate with fellow Nigerians?

A Nigerian once told me he is lonely and bored in a city that has lot of Nigerians. When I probed him, it turns out that he doesn't want to associate with fellow Nigerians. In his words " I don't have time for Nigerians and their wahala " .

I don't know about where you are anyway but what happens where I am is that the Nigerian community organize parties during this period where Nigerians gather and have fun. I and my family went to a party on Christmas day and I hosted one on boxing day. We have another one on Friday and Saturday hosted by different families.

The last 2 days have been sweet. Lots of food,drinks,dance, games etc. 2 students even recreated the Townhall bala blue dance and got lots of dollars for the performance.

So even in Nigeria, the fun does not come to you. You have to find it and make it happen.

So my advice is know your city, know the Nigerians in your city. If the Nigerians in your city are the dull and individualistic type, you can be that person that bring them together and start forming a community that would start making things happen. Expand to other African countries like Ghana. I will be attending a Ghana organized get together on Sunday. They came to ours and we will go to theirs after all we are all Africans

This is a very nice idea! You can make use of this. If you don't know where the Africans are in the community, as long as your city has a post-secondary institution whether college or university, go there and search out for the African-Carribean Association there, most post-secondary institutions always have this association as their population are usually significant there. Just a heads up

2 Likes

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 4:42pm On Jan 03, 2023
koife:
Thnx bro.
Na mixed church I dey go. The only nja guy there no dey keep hm word. Dude is blessed though but keeps forgetting appointment. We were to travel to Norwich together but guess what, he forgot yet again

Why don't you go remind him?

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 4:46pm On Jan 03, 2023
TWoods:

The Nigerian communities aren’t really as close knit as we claim. Here in the US, a large number of Americans live and work within a few miles of their extended family. Many have annual family get togethers and thanksgiving/Christmas holidays are strictly family time. That isn’t the case with Nigerians. Closeness isn’t what we have, it’s a tendency for chaos, being overly involved in the lives of our neighbors and restlessness.

You got this right! The Americans are more family close-knit than we are even to some extent the Canadians, they value family time too especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays (the former most of the times).

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 4:48pm On Jan 03, 2023
chukxie:

Same folks that relegate their old to care homes? In Nigeria people do not wait for some special occasions to have a family gathering; we up and take the kids to visit uncles, aunts and cousins ...I grew up in a family where visiting family members or being visited by them was the norm. Don't know about yours, mate.

That tradition is fast fading currently because of the situation of the country. In the early to mid 2000s when the economy was the best ever, this was what was in vogue. What was in vogue then brings me a lot of childhood memories, a lot of visits to my paternal grandmother then and some close-knit extended family members.

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by Probz(m): 4:52pm On Jan 03, 2023
Shut up, man. The world doesn’t solely revolve around Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by drlateef: 4:59pm On Jan 03, 2023
koife:
Hello nairalanders, I am particularly compelled to pen this down as I observe my first Xmas away from nja.

Omo forget, nja get swag, community life and it's much fun there during this time of the year.

Yeah, we have our own bad side, but mehn, our social and family life is none to compare with.

Can you imagine, a whole Xmas, the place be like say na curfew Dem declare... Everybody "on your own". Mall shut, pubs shut, kababs, shut, no taxi....everywhere dead.

D one wia pain me pass na say I never carry eye see my flatmate since two days now. Abi this people normal so, or abi na over civilization dey worry Dem? I am so bored and tired that I had to drive out and to my greatest surprise na dead dry town I see. If na nja I dey so, na steady balling...huz to huz chopinz, visits, laughter, palmy, give away, oloshi lmao etc.

Abroad mongers abeg I carry God name beg una, stay back ooo nja na Diamond and Gold. Una no know wetin una get untill una come hia.

By the way, if any nja correct guy dey around Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK abeg make we connect gather make some noice jor, even if na Norwich I go drive come.

I run come hia, as we no get better education. If e bin dey, I nor for come hia lailai.

Meanwhile, seasons greetings y'all.
Much love.
Xoxo

Lol!!! You are clown to be honest!!!

3 Likes

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by antimason(m): 5:02pm On Jan 03, 2023
Baba the truth be say you dey well to do in naija as regards finances if not believe me poverty for defeat miss wey you dey miss Naija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 5:06pm On Jan 03, 2023
Sweetvie:
Good
I think USA is for you... Thou you got to look for fun yourself, it ain't gonna meet u in ur apartment.
Canada is also lonely smiley

Canada is fine too. It is not as lonely as Europe and during holidays, the friendly Canadians have people's time.

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 5:07pm On Jan 03, 2023
koife:
USA or Canada

Smart choice. Europe is too conservative when it comes to social relations.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 5:12pm On Jan 03, 2023
TheGoodAmerican:
Did you expect those places to open on Christmas day? Christmas is only once a year; those people deserve to spend it with their loved ones too. Besides, since the UK is only a few hours away from Nigeria, if being with your family is important to you on Christmas, all you had to do was book a flight.

Good advice.

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by GorillaApp(m): 5:14pm On Jan 03, 2023
SouthCaroliina:
Once I’m settled abroad like after 4-5 years, I’ll always come home for xmas with family and friends. Naija xmas too sweet abeg. Pack enough dollars come. Sleep the highest hotel, Bleep the highest bitch, go the highest club. After celebration come back to my abroad again till next December
Aswear!

Na my pattern be this. My uncle does Same. This Christmas, dude ordered for fresh palm wine( straight from top of the tree to his car boot, no addictive or sacharine). We chop suya and barbeque fishes.
He enjoys all this coupled with the jokes and mad laughters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by Zeinymira(f): 5:37pm On Jan 03, 2023
mmsen:

Would you want to be in the street when it's 5C outside?

Not everywhere is 5C tho. Was the point of buying all that groceries n gifts when you'll be indoors. Like, they didn't even go to the cinema.
Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by TobiAbuja: 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2023
UK people were celebrating with their families in the warmth of their homes. That's Christmas for you!

But Lowestoft really is the back of beyond....

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by divieq17: 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2023
New Year, New You! Improve your CV with a new certification, #skill, #value

Looking for an exciting new career field? Why not consider becoming a heavy equipment operator? The pay is good, and the field is growing faster than ever, with job opportunities in Nigeria, US, UK, Turkey, and more

Registration is currently ongoing for the next batch of trainings starting Wednesday 18th January, 2023.

#skilledworkervisa #forklifttraining #forkliftjobs #travel #training #safety #japa #newyear #2023challenge #newyearnewyou #equilog

Visit any of the office to confirm your registration...

Royal Building Office (4th floor) KM 25 Lekki Epe Expressway Opposite Fidelity Bank Ajah

Exponential Hub 1A, Akin Osiyemi street off Allen Avenue, Ikeja

1 Share

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by yemi1504: 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2023
koife:
USA or Canada

Smart choice!
Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by Sweetvie: 6:05pm On Jan 03, 2023
yemi1504:

Canada is fine too. It is not as lonely as Europe and during holidays, the friendly Canadians have people's time.
I don't think he'll be able to cope in Canada.
Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by mmsen: 6:15pm On Jan 03, 2023
Zeinymira:

Not everywhere is 5C tho. Was the point of buying all that groceries n gifts when you'll be indoors. Like, they didn't even go to the cinema.

Most parts of the UK are too cold to be outside in December. Plus it's gloomy, what's the point?

1 Like

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by mercysamuelson(m): 6:34pm On Jan 03, 2023
Kenn55

Do you have Nigerian community in your area? Or are you the only Nigerian there?

Do you attend a Nigerian church? Do you relate with fellow Nigerians?

A Nigerian once told me he is lonely and bored in a city that has lot of Nigerians. When I probed him, it turns out that he doesn't want to associate with fellow Nigerians. In his words " I don't have time for Nigerians and their wahala " .

I don't know about where you are anyway but what happens where I am is that the Nigerian community organize parties during this period where Nigerians gather and have fun. I and my family went to a party on Christmas day and I hosted one on boxing day. We have another one on Friday and Saturday hosted by different families.

The last 2 days have been sweet. Lots of food,drinks,dance, games etc. 2 students even recreated the Townhall bala blue dance and got lots of dollars for the performance.

So even in Nigeria, the fun does not come to you. You have to find it and make it happen.

So my advice is know your city, know the Nigerians in your city. If the Nigerians in your city are the dull and individualistic type, you can be that person that bring them together and start forming a community that would start making things happen. Expand to other African countries like Ghana. I will be attending a Ghana organized get together on Sunday. They came to ours and we will go to theirs after all we are all Africans

I'm a Nigerian man and I'm married to an American. We associate ourselves with our Nigerian brothers and sisters here in Lancaster California and we attend West Africa Pidgin speaking congregation here in Lancaster, California. Below are few from pics we took on the 01-01-2023.

2 Likes

Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by Owologbo(m): 6:38pm On Jan 03, 2023
FavouredNK:

Make una no mind this person, he just wanted to create awareness, now we know that you are in UK so rest and allow us to rest it's new year pls

Hope this your response is not for me?
I'm in Nigeria, please.
Re: My Worst Xmas Experience Ever. A Case Of Uk by Codes151(m): 6:51pm On Jan 03, 2023
all these idiots that come here to complain...

u foolishly passed tru the challenge and expenses of a visa to come and rant...

u want make we know say u don travel?
smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lawyer & His Uber Driver Stuck In Lagos Flood (Photos) / Pictures Of The Completed Ijebu Ode-Epe-Sagamu-Benin Expressway Interchange. / An Unhappy Train Experience From Enugu Railway (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.