Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? (22103 Views)

Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Farming | Which Is More Profitable? / Oil Pam Vs Cashew Farming Comparison / Banana Plantation And Plantain Plantation..which Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Owologbo(m): 9:52am On Jan 06, 2023
nurey:

2022, local rubber moved from #350per kg to #500 per kg as at may 2022. Yes we were paying local farmers #500 per kilo for cup lump though price has come down now.

Yes rubber has challenge in raining season but you spend extra to protect your harvest also remember that if 1hectare gives you 200kg a week in dry season, in raining season its x1.5 or 2 without any extra input.

Rubber raw material has grade
1. Latex the liquid form
2. Lump (coagulated latex) the first raw material that is sold by all farmers.
3. Cake (processed lump) raw material for all other rubber materials. Tyre, shoes, bags etc. Cake was 8000 per bundle as a 2020 but we don't sell it locally

ok.
I'm a Deltan and my friends used to tap rubber (mostly Christmas period) when I was in Delta State.
I know they have sold 1kg for less than #100 before.

1 Like

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by nurey(m): 9:56am On Jan 06, 2023
farem:

It seems you know so much about this rubber and the prospects. First time I am hearing someone talking about this.
I will like to know more on this. Thanks

I work in a rubber plantation. I may find time for a thread on it seems rubber tree is Alien to most farmers in Nigeria
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by AKWATGOLD1(m): 10:01am On Jan 06, 2023
Fantastic contribution.
nurey:
I would have adviced you plant Rubber (havea brasiliensis) but the land size though may be too small and you may not be patient enough [7years] to reap the fruit. But out of your choice, only oil palm would survive fire outbreak the rest you would have to start again.

Though for processing cashew is the easiest, just dry and sell or sell when fresh sef.

You can dry cocoa too but you can't process into high grade raw material for better profit, you need to look for processing factories for this.

Oil palm can be sold as banga or you can setup your own small processing factory guaranteed that you can get supply from other local farmers within your vicinity to not make your machines redundant when you dont have raw material.

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Agritech(m): 10:46am On Jan 06, 2023
nurey:

No .market for rubber grin who tell you that, there are buyers in Delta, Edo state, Ondo and Ogun state, rubber is so profitable that they even steal it.

Rubber is known as smelling money and has a long life span in its raw form

2hectares would get you about 1400 stands of trees with a good clone you are looking at around minimum 200kg per week at local price of very low #300per kg and high #500 per kg.

Note if you stimulate, you can get 200 to 300% yield per week.

Few people talk about rubber, but it the most profitable.

The below has been in production for 30 years and still counting.

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Jamahyel(m): 11:02am On Jan 06, 2023
cocoa
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by farem: 11:28am On Jan 06, 2023
Majesty33:
Why not add pawpaw to the list for quick income and within 6-7 months, u are already harvesting and selling to fruit juice factories. U ACN just create a space out of the five hectares to plant these pawpaw and u start making profit while u wait for your cashew and palm fruit.

Fruit juice companies? Are you that serious? IDo they come directly to farms? will like to connect some farms if you show the way. Thanks
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by farem: 11:37am On Jan 06, 2023
godofuck231:
Been to Malaysia and I realise drum of palm oil costs more than a drum of crude oil , then I realised Nigerians are stupid dunkies

So what have you done with this discovery?
If people,who are 99.89%, never been exposed to this reality are described as 'stupid dunkies'?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Tboymessiah(m): 11:50am On Jan 06, 2023
Wickedfacts:

They are talking about oil palm and cocoa, you're talking about pepper. You get sense so?

How many pepper farmers do you see riding Benz?
Cocoa farmers have been riding Benz before you were born.

Akure o yee
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Tboymessiah(m): 11:53am On Jan 06, 2023
Sweetplum:

Lol. Cocoa was like crude oil before and it's still the most profitable farming biz. Oil too is good but the quick cash you ll get in cocoa in a year is more than 5years oil palm. Except your biz no boom.

True talk NasoLifeBe!!!
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by farem: 11:54am On Jan 06, 2023
Ogunleti01:
That is one thing people dont know. Sofar so good i have made close to 1.2m from my platain farm alone from May 2021 -till date. The funniest thing is the plantain were planted to serve as shade for my cocoa. last year till date 52.45kg of cocoa in my area hovers around #90-94k. Do the math for just one tonne

Good ginger. Kindly provide more on planting and prospects of marketing of plantains. I will like to do this in Osun State.

I am also interested in Cocoa.
Please can you compare palm tree farming with cocoa's since you're experienced.
Thanks
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by farem: 12:06pm On Jan 06, 2023
Lesgupnigeria:

I am a farmer
We have cashew, cocoa and oilpalm plantations and I believe I am in the best position to advice him based on whats experienced on the field as per the 3 crops
Thank you. I may need to get closer to you!
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by farem: 12:10pm On Jan 06, 2023
nurey:

I work in a rubber plantation . I may find time for a thread on it seems rubber tree is Alien to most farmers in Nigeria
Please do.
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Majesty33(m): 1:03pm On Jan 06, 2023
farem:

Fruit juice companies? Are you that serious? IDo they come directly to farms? will like to connect some farms if you show the way. Thanks
well , u will always make connections to them when you indulge in the Agricultural business. Time shall tell. i am speaking in respect to my late dad business. He has orange, plantain, pineapple and palm fruit orchard and buyers from neighboring cities come to buy. As long as there are other farms around, other farmers will direct them to where they will get produce of their choice.

1 Like

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Nigerfine3: 1:21pm On Jan 06, 2023
meobizy:
Do all three since you can’t make up your mind. They are all profitable. Oil palm will take the longest time since I saw in a documentary that it takes twenty years before the plants produce seeds.

I once schooled outside the country with the daughter of a cocoa magnate from Yoruba land. Guy, governor daughter no spend reach this girl. I can not imagine how industrial the scale of their operation was. It was exported out of the country so her old man was obviously paid in foreign income.
Oil palm of today’s world produce in about 3 years, 100 palm tree gives you almost 3 million per year! This translate to 25 to 30 million per year for 1000 palm tree
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by afam4life(m): 1:56pm On Jan 06, 2023
ZUBY77:
I planted Usdt on a small mobile phone.
I make your yearly profit on 2 days.
But then we must eat. So plant palm

Teach us how to catch fish on USDT with small mobile phone.
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by wasuka14(m): 2:48pm On Jan 06, 2023
Lesgupnigeria:
If you are looking to make good money,go for oilpalm
Out of the 3 crops;cocoa, cashew and oilpalm
Oilpalm has the highest value added index
You can process palm fruits into palm oil,palm kernel oil,sell the palm kernel shaft,make broom,etc
Its more capital intensive to process cashew,and cocoa to their respective other value added products.
You either sell raw cashew or the raw cocoa with no value added to it to make money.

2 hectare of raw cashew nuts will give you 1 ton at first commercial harvesting which is about 300k -400k
2 hectare of cocoa will give you about 800kg which is about N450k
2 hectare of oilpalm will give 10 tonnes of processed palm oil at let's say N800 per kg
10 tons is 10,000kg
Which is about N8m
So 2 ha of oilpalm farm will give you N8m
Now compare 8m to 400k and 450k cashew and cocoa will give you
Go for oilpalm!!!

Pls also interested in this idea. So pls, i will you to sheild more light into the following areas. Thanks.

You didn't mention specie to plant, how many to plant on 2 ha, and cost of processing. And what's the cost of processing equipments? And if u source processing elsewhere, how will you guarantee to get the exact output??
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by yinkeys(m): 2:50pm On Jan 06, 2023
godofuck231:
watin de wow you , you no go do your research and know the value ? De there , buhari is more updated than you, and that's a shame
Talk is cheap fool
You think it’s just to start producing without bilateral agreements etc
Do you know how farm produce wastes in the country
You better watch how you interact with people
Countries will readily buy your crude oil but will prefer to artificially produce their vegetable or olive oil than use your African oil
Venezuelan oil is also cheaper but they’ve been sanctioned by the world powers that be that’s why their country is in shambles.
Foolish NL member
The fact I typed really doesn’t mean I’m not enlightened with respect to what’s going on globally
Sometimes people choose to play dull just to see if there’s more to learn from the other person

1 Like

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by wasuka14(m): 2:50pm On Jan 06, 2023
Nigerfine3:

Oil palm of today’s world produce in about 3 years, one palm tree gives you almost 3 million per year! This translate to 25 to 30 million per year for 1000 palm tree

Hmmmm. Pls shield more light oo
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by staga: 4:19pm On Jan 06, 2023
nurey:

I work in a rubber plantation. I may find time for a thread on it seems rubber tree is Alien to most farmers in Nigeria

During the era of the Rubber Board of Benin (yes, they also had a football club that they funded), rubber was the gold for Bendelites. Cartel-like wars and killings were occurring over rubber plantations. That's how much it was sought after. Back then in the 70s and 80s, Michelin and other companies producing tires were in Nigeria so the demand was out of this world.

I lost touch with the market and stopped tracking it, so I don't know much about it. I think the 7-year gestation period turns people off.
But when you consider that time flies fast, you may not feel it. I planted supergene palms during the pandemic. They have started fruiting. Three years have gone already!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Nigerfine3: 4:39pm On Jan 06, 2023
wasuka14:

Hmmmm. Pls shield more light oo
The seedlings of today from nifor is 500 Naira, start fruiting in three years, it gives 25 liters to 30 from beginning, after six years it jumps to 50 to 60 litters, go check per liter of palm oil. This is pure gold.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Abojupupa: 6:54pm On Jan 06, 2023
Nigerfine3:

The seedlings of today from nifor is 500 Naira, start fruiting in three years, it gives 25 liters to 30 from beginning, after six years it jumps to 50 to 60 litters, go check per liter of palm oil. This is pure gold.
How can one get seedlings from NIFOR? I'm interested in oil palm plantation.

1 Like

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by ORAFA(m): 9:06pm On Jan 06, 2023
Obascoetubi:
That was not me, i never send or I don't remember last time i D M on nairaland, where did u see me sending email?
Why do all the profiles have the same signature, YIM, Twitter, etc?
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by billyG(m): 9:21pm On Jan 06, 2023
Nigerfine3:

Oil palm of today’s world produce in about 3 years, one palm tree gives you almost 3 million per year! This translate to 25 to 30 million per year for 1000 palm tree
PLS explain this your arithmetic.
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Nigerfine3: 10:56pm On Jan 06, 2023
billyG:

Read the four or so write up above yours
Thanks
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Nigerfine3: 10:57pm On Jan 06, 2023
Abojupupa:

How can one get seedlings from NIFOR? I'm interested in oil palm plantation.
Go to their office in your state capital or nearest to you, the problem of the business is land. Palm need spacing, about 9/10 on one plot of land
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Nigerfine3: 12:00am On Jan 07, 2023
billyG:

My bad, 1 palm yields about 30 liters for early years, 100 gives you 3 million Naira. 6 years and above yield increase almost 100 percent.
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by Nigerfine3: 12:05am On Jan 07, 2023
[quote author=staga post=119774691]

During the era of the Rubber Board of Benin (yes, they also had a football club that they funded), rubber was the gold for Bendelites. Cartel-like wars and killings were occurring over rubber plantations. That's how much it was sought after. Back then in the 70s and 80s, Michelin and other companies producing tires were in Nigeria so the demand was out of this

I lost touch with the market and stopped tracking it, so I don't know much about it. I think the 7-year gestation period turns people off.
But when you consider that time flies fast, you may not feel it. I planted supergene palms during the pandemic. They have started fruiting. Three years have gone already![/quote

Please was any of your palms affected by any diseases, eaten by insects or any of such during their first year
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by oduncojamaica(m): 12:28am On Jan 07, 2023
Agbalagbi2013:
Happy new year my dear Nairalanders. I recently acquired 2 hecters of land which I originally planned to use for cocoa (TC series) plantation. But the land agent adviced I plant cashew instead while a friend said it's more profitable if I plant oil palm (Supergene)

As we speak, I have not concluded on which of the 3 crop to cultivate for a small holder plantation of just 2 hecters.

Hence I decided to bring it here to seek your opinions. Your advise would be highly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation for your responses.

My little note, all have spoken well.
Palm plantation
From my experience, cos am into palm plantation in Odogbolu, Ogun State.
2 hactares is not enough to breakthrough in palm plantation cos you will only have 300 stands minimum you will enjoy is 4 hactares 600 stand I can guarantee you of breakthrough and your retirement plan.
U can plant plantain together this will help you to sustain the farm Expenses for 2 years b4 harvesting your palm.
Things to consider
1. Land location- your farm location is very important there are some land that will not good for palm eg part of Ogun ( Imeko/Ayetoro axis and Oyo State( Ogbomoso). Ilorin axis, all this land are good for Cashew.
Rubber,Cocoa and palm can be planted in Ogun(Ijebu axis to Ondo, Edo

2. Fund availability- b4 you can break even you have to ready to finance the farm maintenance, u can reduce the expenses by planting mix crop.
Cocoa 3yrs
Palm 3yrs
Rubber 7yrs

1 Like

Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by oduncojamaica(m): 12:32am On Jan 07, 2023
Nigerfine3:

My bad, 1 palm yields about 30 liters for early years, 100 gives you 3 million Naira. 6 years and above yield increase almost 100 percent.
Do you have palm plantation?.
All your calculations, na for book.
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by godofuck231: 2:17am On Jan 07, 2023
yinkeys:

Talk is cheap fool
You think it’s just to start producing without bilateral agreements etc
Do you know how farm produce wastes in the country
You better watch how you interact with people
Countries will readily buy your crude oil but will prefer to artificially produce their vegetable or olive oil than use your African oil
Venezuelan oil is also cheaper but they’ve been sanctioned by the world powers that be that’s why their country is in shambles.
Foolish NL member
The fact I typed really doesn’t mean I’m not enlightened with respect to what’s going on globally
Sometimes people choose to play dull just to see if there’s more to learn from the other person
then you dull if you don't know that producing finished products for fellow third world countries give a raise to agriculture and export of finished products , look at blue band magarine and lux soap being sort after in West African countries , u no know Jack shiit
Re: Oil Palm Vs Cocoa Vs Cashew: Which Is More Profitable? by godofuck231: 2:25am On Jan 07, 2023
farem:

So what have you done with this discovery?
If people,who are 99.89%, never been exposed to this reality are described as 'stupid dunkies'?
the foreign intelligence agencies aren't only supposed to spy on military secrets but also on economic secrets , a military backed by a strong economy is a threat to another, if the NIA had made reports on how lip sticks and vegetable oil imports from Europe was being made out of palm oil , the government would invest in the production of vegetable oil , magarine, lip sticks , make up for women , lubricants, agro pharmaceuticals , even perfume oils

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Quail Farming In Nigeria / How Kebbi Revolutionised Rice Farming In Nigeria / All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.