Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar (25138 Views)

My Trip From Lagos To Ethiopia, Kenya And Mauritius Island / Lagos Ferry To Start Operations In November - See What The Ferries Look Like / Ikorodu-Mile 12 Road: Crowd At The Ikorodu Ferry Terminal Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 11:27am On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

Is your Village in the South South. Delta state to be sure

Yes
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by SMARTMOTORS(m): 11:33am On Jan 06, 2023
FiremanX:
He's 8 years old
your school fees no be waste my brother!

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Lanshile(m): 11:33am On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Do you know how many planes have had an engine defect and successfully completed their journeys? Do you know how many planes fly daily and how road trips pales in comparison to air trips? Boat and Air trips and way way safer than road trips. How many road vehicles are road worthy?
You have a valid point big man
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by dreofGod(m): 11:34am On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

Taking a boat or ferry ride from Lagos to PH is very risky. Kidnapping, Sea Piracy and Robbery, Cold, malaria, sea sickness, etc
I can understand cold, sea sickness and other factors that are not man-made. But if government decides to work so as to curb the human factors e.g. Kidnapping, woudn't that be a win-win for both government and the citizens?

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 11:34am On Jan 06, 2023
dreofGod:
I can understand cold, sea sickness and other factors that are not man-made. But if government decides to work so as to curb the human factors e.g. Kidnapping, woudn't that be a win-win for both government and the citizens?
True.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by nesphil(m): 11:39am On Jan 06, 2023
I must commend you Kingreign for sharing your experience on this trip here with us.

I've used that route in the recent past for up to ten(10) good times via speed boat.

I can tell you my experiences and how risky the trips were as at that time, either due to the nature of the speed boats, or the nonchalant attitude of the coxswain or the sea state.

In fact, in one of those 10 times, our speed got spoiled in the middle of the water and we were at the mercy of God and that of the current and waves until God brought one empty speed boat our way and we were trans-shifted into the boat, and we made our way back to Oron where we came from.

Another terrible experience was when I traveled from Oron to Tinapa for a training workshop, in the middle of that water our speed boat nearly broke into two, and water started gushing in, one of us had to take a scooper and scoop water out of the boat throughout the remaining part of that trip, everyone was scared and only pray that we made it to land safely, and thank God we made it to Tinapa safely. This was my last trip via this route, and that was in 2017.

But with this Ferry Service, I believe it's much safer to use this route from now henceforth.

I have also used speed boats and ferries to cross from CMS to Apapa several times in Lagos.

kingreign:
Hello family,
Just decided to share my ferry trip with you guys.
I have always been fascinated by boat rides but i never really took part in any boat ride which lasted over 10mins due to the horrible stories I heard about water transportation.
But on December 30th I made a few enquiries from people about the possibility of taking a boat ride from Akwa Ibom to Calabar. I was given mixed answers. I decided to summon courage and take on this thrilling journey for the fun of it.

2 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 12:08pm On Jan 06, 2023
dreofGod:
Canoe? Haba! Stop play joor. Talk better jare.

See you, am telling you fact,
Those days we had people travelling more by water than Road
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 12:11pm On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Yes

Same here, which part of Delta,

I had same experience will going to laid my late Dad to rest,

Everyone had to disembark from the bus onto the puncton , And it's be operated manually, though I saw a small boy there, don't knew who operate it, cos it was dark
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by dreofGod(m): 12:16pm On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

See you, am telling you fact,
Those days we had people travelling more by water than Road
Baba, abeg no vex o. From where to Lagos?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 12:31pm On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

Same here, which part of Delta,

I had same experience will going to laid my late Dad to rest,

Everyone had to disembark from the bus onto the puncton , And it's be operated manually, though I saw a small boy there, don't knew who operate it, cos it was dark

You got on a pontoon while it was dark? Jeez. I'm not sure I am brave enough for that. You know Esaba in Ughelli South?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by EmiDon11: 1:01pm On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

Life jackets may or may not help one float. It’s only for easy identification of bodies during rescue mission.
okay

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 1:04pm On Jan 06, 2023
dreofGod:
Baba, abeg no vex o. From where to Lagos?

Delta State ooo,
my Granddad was a very good fisherman as I was told
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 1:06pm On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

You got on a pontoon while it was dark? Jeez. I'm not sure I am brave enough for that. You know Esaba in Ughelli South?

No, I don't,

But am from. Iyede-Ame in Ndokwa East, We had to cross that pontoon, before getting to Ideye,

Actually Lagos life no green me fear cheesy
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 1:08pm On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

No, I don't,

But am from. Iyede-Ame in Ndokwa East, We had to cross that pontoon, before getting to Ideye,

Actually Lagos life no green me fear cheesy

Iyede Amen sounds like you guys are on the waterside. Is water called ame in your side?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 1:17pm On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Iyede Amen sounds like you guys are on the waterside. Is water called ame in your side?

Yes, we are,

That's what water is called in ISOKO, And am an Isoko Guy
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by airsaylongcome: 1:27pm On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

Yes, we are,

That's what water is called in ISOKO, And am an Isoko Guy

Isoko to'lopia grin

Urhobo here

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 1:42pm On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Isoko to'lopia grin
Urhobo here

grin Oshare

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 1:43pm On Jan 06, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Isoko to'lopia grin
Urhobo here

That River Niger do us strong thing
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by FashionCookie(f): 2:05pm On Jan 06, 2023
I'm from that area but I've never traveled by water or even know how to swim. cry
Na wa o

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Everbryte: 2:37pm On Jan 06, 2023
Thank you for this expository. I was born in Oron, (did secondary school & University in Uyo) but you can't believe that I have never been to Oron - I don't know Oron. I kept procrastinating until insecurity caught up within the polity

I keep saying I will take a trip to Oron; your write up is just the motivation that I needed.
Unfortunately, I just returned from Akwa Ibom (Uyo)

Oron is a "Must visit" Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 2:45pm On Jan 06, 2023
Everbryte:
Thank you for this expository. I was born in Oron, (did secondary school & University in Uyo) but you can't believe that I have never been to Oron - I don't know Oron. I kept procrastinating until insecurity caught up within the polity

I keep saying I will take a trip to Oron; your write up is just the motivation that I needed.
Unfortunately, I just returned from Akwa Ibom (Uyo)

Oron is a "Must visit" Thanks

I’m not from Akwa Ibom. However, my mother is from Uyo, my wife is from Uyo, I did my Masters Degree in UniUyo, my son was born in Uyo, I have a few properties in Uyo and I frequently visit Uyo. Please, you need to visit your kingdom. It’s a lovely and serene place to be.

3 Likes

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by dreofGod(m): 3:04pm On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

Delta State ooo,
my Granddad was a very good fisherman as I was told
Hmmm... Your grandpa na "legend of the waters" abeg. I give it to him. At least, he would spend weeks if not months on the sea or river using canoe.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by hardbody: 3:12pm On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:

I don’t. But I can’t tell, as this is my first time on a motorized boat, water transport has a different feel from road transport feelings.
Also, this is a relatively big boat and I believe it’s heavy

Your thoughts are valid. They probably won't do more than 80km/h if at all. A simple test. When on third mainland bridge, a car doing less than 100km/h leaves behind a speedboat crossing the waters enroute Ikorodu. Their speed is not really comparable to what motor car engines do on the ground

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by GorillaApp(m): 3:47pm On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:
The vessel itself was built in Nigeria by SERRIACRAFT LIMITED, EPE, LAGOS cool which had a sitting capacity of 30 passengers and was made from Fibreglass composite materials to help with weight reduction and buoyancy. The craft had twin Yamaha F200 outboard motors which by the way are 2.8L i4 4cycle engines putting out 200hp at the shaft and each motor was capable of 60 knots each; So, the combined outputs was 400shp

Written like a true motorhead grin

I'm not surprised.

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 3:49pm On Jan 06, 2023
cheesy cheesy grin
GorillaApp:

Written like a true motorhead grin

I'm not surprised.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 3:53pm On Jan 06, 2023
dreofGod:
Hmmm... Your grandpa na "legend of the waters" abeg. I give it to him. At least, he would spend weeks if not months on the sea or river using canoe.

If you know those who live Along or Fishes on the great river Niger, you will understand

Though I had been in Lagos since birth, I can't forgot, the tales on how they came to Lagos
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by dreofGod(m): 4:14pm On Jan 06, 2023
do4luv14:

If you know those who live Along or Fishes on the great river Niger, you will understand

Though I had been in Lagos since birth, I can't forgot, the tales on how they came to Lagos
I agree with you. From what I heard, those guys could stay inside the water during war only coming up briefly to take fresh air. God creates people sha.
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by Marpol: 4:29pm On Jan 06, 2023
spencekat:
UML?

Yes

1 Like

Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by do4luv14(m): 4:41pm On Jan 06, 2023
dreofGod:
I agree with you. From what I heard, those guys could stay inside the water during war only coming up briefly to take fresh air. God creates people sha.

Expediting the civil War, my mum told me about how her dad fought and also cross the river to Agbor,

He was a well respected man, Fishing in that River with a canoe, ahhh, even me no go agree cross Any river with canoe sef
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by tizteezy(m): 5:42pm On Jan 06, 2023
kingreign:
Hello family,
Just decided to share my ferry trip with you guys.
I have always been fascinated by boat rides but i never really took part in any boat ride which lasted over 10mins due to the horrible stories I heard about water transportation.
But on December 30th I made a few enquiries from people about the possibility of taking a boat ride from Akwa Ibom to Calabar. I was given mixed answers. I decided to summon courage and take on this thrilling journey for the fun of it.

Senior man

U don lap south south

How long will you be around?
Re: My Ferry Trip From Oron To Calabar by kingreign(m): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2023
tizteezy:

Senior man

U don lap south south

How long will you be around?

Lol.
I don comot go back my hustle ground. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Road Accident At Otukpa, Benue State (photos) / Gas Tanker Falls Flat At Chevron Roundabout In Lekki Lagos / Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.