Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,434 members, 7,815,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? (7996 Views)

Why I Demanded Return Of Tithe From My Former Church – Abuja Man / Tithe In The New Testament: Who's Wrong Between Daddy Freeze & Nigerian Pastors? / Bishop Oyedepo: I Cart My Tithe In Trailer Loads To God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Frank25: 6:44am On Jan 15, 2023
Let's gather and discuss

What does tithe signify in the bible
Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by sageb: 6:48am On Jan 15, 2023
Frank25:
Let's gather and discuss

Legal for what?

Which act or law is it stated in Nigeria or diaspora?

It is a personal decision.
Righteousness and salvation is more important than Tithe.

@Frank25 You have changed the topic of this thread.
Your first post was " Is paying of Tithes, legal?"

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by StrongAlphMale: 6:52am On Jan 15, 2023
Oga, God commanded it. And if you no wan give then rest, no be force

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by SALLYBERRY01(m): 6:53am On Jan 15, 2023
Open to learning

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jan 15, 2023
We are always discussing tithe on nairaland.

Tithe means tenth literally.
Before the law, Abraham was the first to give tithe to Melchizedek.
Then Jacob promised to give tithe if God blessed him.
Then the mosaic law came and make it obligatory for Israelites to give tithe to the Levi - they are priests and workers of the temple and they don't have inheritance or work.
The Levi also give tithe of what they received to the aaronic priest.
They are different types of tithes in the law for Israelites. The one I mentioned above is the first tithe, there's also tithe for the poor, there is also a tithe called second tithe where all Israelites must go to the temple to eat it (the tithe must be agricultural produce, something you can consume) ... etc. It's a sin if you break the law.

-now to the old testament, Christ never explicitly told his disciples to pay tithe. But we can infer that Christ and his disciples since they were Jews and subjected to the law.

-now also the disciples didn't tell the Christian explicitly to give tithe because tithe was mosaic law which the Christian are not subjected to. However, there is admonistion to give cheerfully in church and there is a collection being made on the first day of the week.

- now to modern church history . Many denominations have changed their stances over the years on tithing. Catholic I believe does not mandate tithing, Methodist advocates for tithing but I don't think it is compulsory... some churches believes not paying tithes is a sin while some don't.

My stance: I don't believe that tithing is compulsory for Christians.

I will put Bible reference when I have free time.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Rashdimuh(m): 6:56am On Jan 15, 2023
Without giving it will be difficult to receive, Tithe is not a tool for salvation but it's surely the one for blessing simply the principle of life

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Hendrixky: 6:56am On Jan 15, 2023
Hmmmm

The white really messed with us psychologically

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Burster55(m): 6:56am On Jan 15, 2023
Let's lay this issue to rest pls. Tithing is Biblical, however, God cannot force you to pay. If u have, you pay. If u wish, u pay. But it's good u pay though.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Burster55(m): 6:56am On Jan 15, 2023
Let's lay this issue to rest pls. Tithing is Biblical, however, God cannot force you to pay. If u have, you pay. If u wish, u pay. But it's good u pay though. But it doesn't guarantee you Heaven

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by honestivo(m): 6:57am On Jan 15, 2023
Christianity is personal (You and God) relationship

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:57am On Jan 15, 2023
Frank25:
Let's gather and discuss

Dem no dey tell pesin dis one!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Aforxzy(f): 6:57am On Jan 15, 2023
When we obey and give our tithe, It opens the windows of heaven and pour out overflowing blessing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by ReacherSaidNoth: 6:57am On Jan 15, 2023
It's a shameful thing to carry imported gods and religions on ones head like gala. Imagine Jewish people being bothered about their devotion to a tribal deity in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Mindlog: 6:58am On Jan 15, 2023
I don't tithe but do put in my offertory and offer some time and skills to the Church.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by daygee12: 6:58am On Jan 15, 2023
The passage of the Bible that tithing is explicitly analyzed is DEUTERONOMY 14:22-29 , I'm 100% sure ur Pastors won't read it to u.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by tunwumi: 6:58am On Jan 15, 2023
Reading
Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Jokerman(m): 6:59am On Jan 15, 2023
Giving is encouraged in the bible, especially giving to expand and bless the work of God.

Tithe is giving, and appreciating God for what he's doing in a person's life, finance, health etc

So it's recommended to tithe, and ignore the voices of the devil who discourage it

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by money121(m): 6:59am On Jan 15, 2023
Ok
Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Antoeni(m): 6:59am On Jan 15, 2023
To. Be Honest , God Doesn't Need Our Money .
Don't Let Any Washing & Settring Pastor Deceive You , The Downtrodden in Our Society needs the Money . Motherless Babies, Widows, Cripple And Disables

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Victor1097: 7:01am On Jan 15, 2023
Tithe signifies many things:

1. Obedience
2. Faith
3. Love for God and his Church

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Heroicvic(m): 7:02am On Jan 15, 2023
I don't give tithes, I rather give out to the poor
The biggest school/investment are own by church
Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by jasminer: 7:03am On Jan 15, 2023
It's was first a token of appreciation to God by Abraham via Melchizedek after the slaughter of kings
Gen 14 vs 18-20

Next, Jacob promised to pay tithes as a convenant between him and God on his way to Pandanaran when he was fleeing from his twin Esau. Gen 28 vs 20 to 22

I believe the Israelites began to tithe as a homage to the convenant of their father Jacob before it became a law under Moses.

Even the levitical law of tithing has three types:
1. The Levitical, or sacred tithe (Num. 18: 21, 24).
2. The tithe of the feasts (Deut. 14:22-27).
3. The tithe for the poor (Deut. 14:28, 29).

However, the only tithe still commonly practiced is the first tithe and it's paid in cash mainly because farming isn't the major occupation anymore and the church doesn't even have the capacity to store products of various types.

In summary: tithes is a convenant for wealth and increase as indicated in Malachi 3 vs 10 to 12.

Happy Sunday

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by bankyblue(m): 7:05am On Jan 15, 2023
Make I sit here today
Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by Chukwudi4naija(m): 7:05am On Jan 15, 2023
Tithing in African context is fraud. Tithe means food which one eats with one's family and others who serve in the temple, as they do not have any work and property . Deut 14:22-26

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by RedChiefPriest: 7:06am On Jan 15, 2023
Payment of tithe is in the bible
The levites and the priest must not till or have any share in the land that was shared between the children of Israel that's why they eat from the offerings brought into the house of God and it was commanded by God.
READ the BIBLE you will see the story inside and the tithe part also.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by NNTR: 7:08am On Jan 15, 2023
Frank25:
Let's gather and discuss

Tithe, after the curtain at the temple was torn apart, has since then, in the bible, signified the end of an era

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by DWJOBScom(m): 7:08am On Jan 15, 2023
So that they will be food in God's house.
The priests and workers can be taken care of - their welfare , education, health, etc .
The Church can finance its departments and other obligations such as schools , hospitals , missions , the needy, etc
The church has brought development to some communities never seen by the Govement thanks to tithes and offering
Have you ever had a situation or challenge in an unknown community and a church came to your rescue by way of accommodation, funds, etc , It was someone's tithe
There are many more, and It's just a tenth
A tiny sum

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:10am On Jan 15, 2023
Frank25:

Let's gather and discuss

It signifies faithfulness in the lives of God's people!

Nobody knows what an Israelite makes yearly in his or her business yet he must calculate all his expenditure with the capital invested then subtract his gain/profit this must be divided into ten places and a part he or she will bring to the Levites.

So it's impossible to ascertain if an Israelite is honest with this or not that's why it takes great faith on the part of the depositor!

But after Jesus established Christianity the rule changed {Hebrews 7:12} Christians aren't required to bring in tithes anymore because all of them are Levites spiritually speaking but yet they must pay their tithes to the High Priest (Christ Jesus) HOW?

Jesus commanded his disciples to make profits through the talent (knowledge) given to each of them {Matthew 25:15} with the knowledge they have each must preach and teach to increase the disciples of their master {Matthew 28:19-20} this is lot more difficult than the former tithe because each disciples must go out to preach and teach in his or her neighbourhood so there's no way a dubious person can hide without being noticed in his neighbourhood if he's one of Jesus' disciples unlike the former tithe that only required giving out materials things a disciple of Christ must prove to be blameless in his territory otherwise everyone will know him as they will be pointing fingers at him or her when he/she is preaching from house to house and door to door for Christ.

Today JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES are the one and only group practicing this tithe system that's why they must spend their time preaching and teaching in our neighborhood. Each making the best use of the TALENT the master gave them.

You may have been wondering why Jehovah's Witnesses always preach and teach as if they're forced to do it well it's because that's the one and only way we pay our TITHES to the master DIRECTLY. So it's left for any disciples what he or she will do with the TALENT (KNOWLEDGE) our Master Lord and King Christ Jesus gave him! Matthew 25:24-30

God bless you and may you have PEACE! smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by HomeTutorsPro: 7:11am On Jan 15, 2023
Rashdimuh:
Without giving it will be difficult to receive, Tithe is not a tool for salvation but it's surely the one for blessing simply the principle of life

There is only one requirement for receiving rewards and that is work.
Give your time, energy, knowledge, skills and expertise into solving problems and you'll receive a reward for it.
God doesn't need anyone's tithes before blessing them. He is not a poor God.
He owns us and everything we are and have.
The earth and everything in it belongs to Him.
The best principle of giving is to give to people who do not have, as your mind tells you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by ibechris(m): 7:11am On Jan 15, 2023
Rashdimuh:

U have been brainwashed too much.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Significance Of Tithe In The Bible? by ibechris(m): 7:14am On Jan 15, 2023
HomeTutorsPro:

There is only one requirement for receiving rewards and that is work.
Give your time, energy, knowledge, skills and expertise into solving problems and you've receive a reward for it.
God doesn't need anyone tithes before blessing them. He is not a poor God.
He owns us and everything we are and have.
The earth and everything in it belongs to him.
The best principle of giving is to give to people who do not have.

Pls,tell all those who always read their Bible upside-down only to come here to say rubbish.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"I'd Be A Christian If It Were Not For The Christians!" / Is It A Sin To Kill In Self Defense? / Eat Your Tithe Before The Lord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.