Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,208 members, 7,829,324 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (31135 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by 18wheeler: 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2023
ZUBY77:

Yes op. Long time. Hope you are good
Sure boss
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Emempaul(m): 6:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Who fixes the bulb when it does in your room? Is it the landlord or you

That is why most tentant go and rope themselves. You signed a tenancy agreement that everything you met in the house was in good condition when packing into the compound that the landlord is not even staying in and promised to take proper care of them Then when the pumping machine spoil you expect the landlord to come and repair it when it was hand to you the tenant in good condition. If that landlord take u tenant to any court with better baby lawyer, na thru ur nose you go damages

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 7:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
oloyedewaris:

Thats a different case, it's natural occurrence that caused roof to remove

But Its your usage that spoilt the pumping machine,
What usage is that? I'm NEPA that supplied bad light or what?

Do you know the part called impaler can actually go bad after prolong usage
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lereinter(m): 7:02pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:
Everything depends on the landlord and the type of tenants he has.

If landlord doesn't have money to buy new one

Tenants can contribute and he will deduct from their next year rent

Tenants aren't landlord cash cow

Haba
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fergie001: 7:03pm On Jan 20, 2023
lereinter:

If landlord doesn't have money to buy new one

Tenants can contribute and he will deduct from their next year rent

Tenants aren't landlord cash cow

Haba
Fair enough.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Geesaintagape: 7:24pm On Jan 20, 2023
It's absolutely landlord duty.
It has happened in my rented house.
When it spoiled we contributed and fixed it but when it required buying it was landlord because we are paying him rent which cover renovation and maintenance.
Rent is not just collect and go.
Those shouting tent duty what if the GP tank expires and break who replace or the roof is pulled by breeze who fix it?

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by charlsecy(m): 7:25pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:
If he doesn't, anytime the tenants are going, they reserve the right to remove it and leave his faulty one for him.
I am sure all the tenants would pack out all at once.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by otunbateejay(m): 7:37pm On Jan 20, 2023
When u enter the house does the machine working or not so think if u are the owner of the house will u buy it
Jones4190:
is the duty of the landlord, water was considered before paying the rent
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 7:40pm On Jan 20, 2023
lereinter:

Hear yourself

And you want a new nigeria

How will tenants intentionally destroy pumping machine

So if roof spoil na tenant go repair too

Nigerians are horrible

Roof is part of a house. Pumping machine is not part of a house.

Common sense 101.

You are horrible!

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 7:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

What usage is that? I'm NEPA that supplied bad light or what?

Do you know the part called impaler can actually go bad after prolong usage

Prolong usage by who? Ghosts, tenants or landlords?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jessylaurel(f): 7:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
phemmyfour:
Wrong
You mean every tenant in that house will buy pumping machine each? It's still the responsible of the landlord. Bulb is a personal gadget not a facility.

Yes..if that's how they meant it. Once a tenant finds he's responsible for any damages he would be more careful with it.

Are you telling me that when the machine gets spoilt the tenant will call the landlord to fix it??
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Bananapill: 7:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?

My landlord bought in my compound. It's not even pumping machine but sumo. Will tenants carry it off if they were the ones that bought it when relocating?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by nedekid: 7:57pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
no one tamper with the machine, the machine got spoiled of it own, in taking rent there is what is call causion feel which is normally 5% of the total rentage, it cover the expenses of things like that.

causion feel?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by beamed: 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

the process where you fix that message yourself, you reseave the right to remove it when you are going

When you fix, you're probably at liberty to remove the spare part used in fixing it while you re-install the faulty part. You can't take the pumping machine away because the tenants didn't buy it. You can only take what you bought away but you must drop the faulty one back.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by flourishing247: 7:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jevica:
Under normal rent agreements there’s always maintenance clause attached to it which cover sweeping, sewage disposal, boreholes etc. whiny didn’t you ask your landlord to provide you with generator and fuel. I pray you become landlord one day

Landlords now provide generator for pumping water. It is a new thing.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Aghaclem67: 8:00pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sammy07:

So paying over 250k every year I don't deserve water?

You suppose say, government should build public toilets for us to use and I don't need kitchen, I should be using wood to cook

SMH.

Utility bills are not part of house rent. If the govt were to provide water to every house as is done in some countries, the tenant pays the water bill same as electricity bills and not the landlord. So long as they are not paying any water bill to the landlord, the tenants bear the cost of repairing or replacing the pumping machine. Who replaces a faulty kitchen sink tap in the house, the landlord or the tenant.

Now if the NEPA meter spoils, who is responsible for its repair or replacement, is it NEPA, landlord or the tenant? I think it is high time landlords started installing flowmeter (just like electricity prepaid meter) in the their houses and start collecting water bills from tenants according to their consumption, then he will be responsible for repairing or replacing bad pumping machine. Until that is done some tenants will not stop wasting water or been careless. Before the introduction of prepaid meters, some tenants never paid electric bills once, the settle the corrupt power holding company staff whenever they come thereby incurring huge debt which they leave behind when they pack out. very unfair.

5 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by beamed: 8:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
Nobodysboo:
It's the landlord's duty: the tenants will eventually leave the house for him if they find it diffecult to get water from other houses

Is it also the landlord responsibility to replace blown bulbs, faulty taps, malfunctioning closet et cetera? Perhaps you will affirm the scenario is not the same ?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by tonididdy(m): 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out

That can only happen to landlord wey nor know esef

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fotadmowmend(m): 8:20pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out
Was it not in good condition when you packed in ?

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by ifihearam: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2023
jmoore:

Roof is part of the house.

Pumping machine is not. The government should be providing water to you, not landlord.

Thank you in sane societies govenment provides water.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
jmoore:

Prolong usage by who? Ghosts, tenants or landlords?
What kind of question is that? Ok if the fence of the compound falls due to prolonged usage, the tenants will repair it abi
You for kuku talk say make dem build another house for the landlord if the one they're staying in falls on their heads
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Aghaclem67: 8:45pm On Jan 20, 2023
Geesaintagape:
It's absolutely landlord duty.
It has happened in my rented house.
When it spoiled we contributed and fixed it but when it required buying it was landlord because we are paying him rent which cover renovation and maintenance.
Rent is not just collect and go.
Those shouting tent duty what if the GP tank expires and break who replace or the roof is pulled by breeze who fix it?

I blame the govt for not providing the water. Where water is provided either by the govt or a company, the users pay bill per their consumption. Because it is given to them free of charge by the landlord, tenants see it as their right to misuse the water. Where the landlord stays in the same compound as the tenants, he pays the bill for pumping the water, uses his generator when there is no light and no tenant ever contributes to buy fuel.
Naija we too like free things. Go to where govt provides water and see how much tenants pay for water every month. In Douala Cameroon, my friend pays as much as N6,000.00 depending on his consumption every month as water utility bill. If you fail to pay, they will come and disconnect the pipe that supplies water to your flat.
How I wish every landlord will incorporate flowmeters in their houses and collect water bills at the end of the month, then tenants will be careful (not all tenants are careless but majority are) on how they use or waste water. God help landlords.
If I were the landlord, I go just leave them, by the time they buy water for one month them go humble and think of how to either repair or replace it. Na so one come dey wait for landlord to replace him prepaid meter, landlord no just listen to him. Nobody tell am to go repair the meter after staying in darkness and heat and burning of fuel for some months.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by SweetDipBenny(m): 8:46pm On Jan 20, 2023
In Nigeria na d tenants
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 8:47pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

What kind of question is that? Ok if the fence of the compound falls due to prolonged usage, the tenants will repair it abi
You for kuku talk say make dem build another house for the landlord if the one they're staying in falls on their heads

Fence is part of the house.

When did submersible water pump become part of a house?

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2023
jmoore:

Fence is part of the house.

When did submersible water pump become part of a house?

Will you rent a house that does not have water?
I never knew submersible pump is not part of the house.
Look. No matter how you try to twist it. If you refuse to buy a new one, the tenants reserve the right to take the one they bought when they're leaving.
So you'll either buy now, or later.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Aghaclem67: 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
Emempaul:
Who fixes the bulb when it does in your room? Is it the landlord or you

That is why most tentant go and rope themselves. You signed a tenancy agreement that everything you met in the house was in good condition when packing into the compound that the landlord is not even staying in and promised to take proper care of them Then when the pumping machine spoil you expect the landlord to come and repair it when it was hand to you the tenant in good condition. If that landlord take u tenant to any court with better baby lawyer, na thru ur nose you go damages

Na so some people as tenants go dey claim right until they become landlord before they understand say no be so e be grin grin grin shocked shocked. Them go use and damage the sockets, lampholders, sink taps, shower taps etc and expect the landlord to come fix them because he paid house rent. Them go wait for tailor wey sew their trouser or the boutique owner where them buy their cloth to come mend am for them when it tear grin grin. We like free thing no be today.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 8:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

Will you rent a house that does not have water?
I never knew submersible pump is not part of the house.
Look. No matter how you try to twist it. If you refuse to buy a new one, the tenants reserve the right to take the one they bought when they're leaving.
So you'll either buy now, or later.
More than 95% of houses in Nigeria do not have borehole.

It is after you repair the one that spoilt during usage by you that you have right to take the one you bought.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 9:05pm On Jan 20, 2023
jmoore:

More than 95% of houses in Nigeria do not have borehole.
Lol. Where did you get that statistics from?
That's totally irrelevant to the point I'm making.
Replacing submersible pump is a part of major repair that the landlord should be responsible for because there's no particular tenant you can claim is responsible for it unlike some other ones that happen per flat
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by deebrownneymar: 9:07pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?

The tenants contribute. Most Landlords are useless.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobodysboo(m): 9:08pm On Jan 20, 2023
beamed:

Is it also the landlord responsibility to replace blown bulbs, faulty taps, malfunctioning closet et cetera? Perhaps you will affirm the scenario is not the same ?
the scenario are different ofcourse. When moving into a house as a tenants, you get to buy bulb and other thing the house needs. As for water supply it is the reponsibility of the landlord or house agent. Without water people will find it hard to move in except it's a cheap house
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 9:09pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

That's how you know people who just boast emptily
See shalaye with no end for something he started

Busybody we are already in talks.

Rude kid
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 9:16pm On Jan 20, 2023
Levels1:

Busybody we are already in talks.

Rude kid
Ok.

You people should sha not end up scamming yourselves

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Calculate Quantity&cost Of Asbestors Or PVC Ceiling Needed 4 Your Project / LRU Arrives Collapsed School With Echo Devices To Scan For Persons Alive / 10 Most Lucrative Cities In Nigeria For Property Investment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.