Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,931 members, 7,828,245 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (31105 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Amosaloud(m): 5:00pm On Jan 20, 2023
It is the duty of government to provide access to clean drinking water. They can do it themselves or through licensed private providers. This is the tragedy of the Nigerian state. We are having the wrong debate. I remember when taps used to run in houses up till the late 80's.
The reality is different now.
Landlords providing water is extra value above that of renting the property. So unless you are paying a service charge that explicitly states that it covers water provision then you are on your own. The same as if you were paying a service charge for central electricity generation or cleaning of communal areas.
Most landlords install these facilities with the understanding that tenants will be responsible for upkeep and replacement.
So please read your agreement carefully, if it is not explicitly stated that the landlord will provide free water and maintenance of pumping machine then it means it is your responsibility by default. If you are not happy before moving into the property then please go somewhere else. Don't pack in then start forming Jackie Chan on someone else's property and inconveniencing other tenants.
This is from a long term tenant but insha'Allah soon to be a home owner myself.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 5:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
lsoul:
you are a bloody tenant buying time with court quit notice.

Can you read?

If not, chat me up via WhatsApp I need to show you some documents.

I'm a LANDLORD as God builts for me.

Pray to buy land before trying to reap your ignorant tenants.

Stop been childish, as no reasonable tenant will pay for such, okay
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by ihedioramma: 5:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?
Who by the pumping machine and who is it helping ?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Perfectbeing(m): 5:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out
So in a compound with 4 tenants, which of them will leave with the pumping machine?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

What is this one saying?
Cold dark cell on top say I remove my property
You must be highly high
I'm sure folks like you if you own a house will tell the tenants to sleep outside once it's 10:00 p.m.
As I said, your eyes will clear

Lol.

No worry yourself!
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 5:02pm On Jan 20, 2023
Perfectbeing:
So in a compound with 4 tenants, which of them will leave with the pumping machine?
that is where you will know that it's not the duty of the tenant
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by gabbytabby: 5:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
The tenancy agreement is the basis of the relationship between tenant and landlord.

Equipment if repaired by the landlord is charged back to the tenant as a service fee. As a landlord I will stipulate what services are covered and others remain with the tenant.

Me I give notices to arrogant tenants who think they have 2 heads and want to set their own terms. They need to take their war elsewhere.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by frozen70(f): 5:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
is the duty of the landlord, water was considered before paying the rent

If the landlord is not living with them and the pumping machine have been working fine before it got spoilt

The tenants should share the money equal parts and include the landlord

If they want to wait for the landlord to repair it alone, they will wait longer especially if the landlord is not living there
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Larrykaysail(m): 5:07pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
landlord ni oo
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 20, 2023
jmoore:
You pay the landlord money for house rent.

Any other thing, the occupants should contribute.

So if the septic tank is full, you will wait for the landlord to pay the sewage disposal guys to come and evacuate it?

Greedy tenants!! Tell your landlord to pay your electricity bills too.
That is the stupid and wicked mindset of most Nigerians. Mostly Lagosians.
Dem just pay and stay e dey be dem like say make them collect am from you.
Some no dey try at all
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by LaconicINC: 5:09pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

It depends, when our pumping machine got bad, the landlord bought it, unfortunately what was brought turned out to be fake, and got bad after 1 year, we told him about it and he said we the tenants should donate and replace it this time around, which we did.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lsoul: 5:10pm On Jan 20, 2023
undecided
Levels1:

Can you read?

If not, chat me up via WhatsApp I need to show you some documents.

I'm a LANDLORD as God builts for me.

Pray to buy land before trying to reap your ignorant tenants.

Stop been childish, as no reasonable tenant will pay for such, okay

documents to your face me I slap you? Ain't interested
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 5:12pm On Jan 20, 2023
Buddha3:

Lol.

No worry yourself!
Bro, it's something I did. You Nigerians have subservient mentality.
I called the landlord and he told me he isn't responsible for the spoilt machine and won't be responsible for fixing it. I asked him if anyone told him I reached into the hole and destroyed the machine. He refused to answer. I kept quiet. Since we were two in the compound, we contributed money and bought a new one but I made sure to keep the faulty one. I was lucky the other guy left before me. When I was leaving, I removed the working one and installed his faulty one.
A week or so later, he called me and I reminded him when the pumping machine spoiled. He was dumbstruck.
Let him tell the incoming tenants to buy a new one.
Werey wey dey disguise

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by gabbytabby: 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
somehow:
To avoid issues like this, landlords should charge service fees.

For somethings yes. My experience is tenants will rough handle, know that rain and low current will damage but unless you make them responsible they will continue to send their children to put on when there is low current and leave the unit uncovered.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by CaptainFM1: 5:23pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
who owns the machine? landlord or the tenant?

Look, it's very simple. Like where I am currently, everything is spelt out for you in your agreement. You break it, you fix it.
And in any case, the landlord holds a month security worth of your rent in Advance all the time.

When moving in, there's a checklist you will tick to confirm everything installed in the house for you and their conditions, even down to the paintings in the rooms. All these will be contained in your agreement.

You get your refund back when you're moving out if the "checklist condition" stays intact or part if any is left after covering the cost of all the damages you made in the house.

So, you can guess you won't even get to rent the property to start with if you're not happy with the requirements and the checklist condition which will be contained in your agreement anyway.

If you think the way you're thinking, you can as well say it's the Landlord duty to put a new TV for you in the house after you broke the one he put in when you moved in. I guess many landlords get scammed because they didn't spell everything out in writing to their tenants!

There must be a level of responsibility on your part which must be clearly written in the agreement. In the absence of none, I guess if you want to move out of his property you reserve that right once your rent is over if the landlord wouldn't buy another one once you break the one he puts.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nooner: 5:24pm On Jan 20, 2023
In Nigeria, it’s the tenants
Outside Nigeria, it’s the building management that’ll record and handle all damages and pay all the expenses.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fabian063: 5:25pm On Jan 20, 2023
07kjb:
Responsible tenants repairs it while the idiotic ones keep hoping for the landlord
You're probably a landlord
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 5:25pm On Jan 20, 2023
lsoul:
undecided documents to your face me I slap you? Ain't interested

Little kid, you are wrong.

Why not permit that to see the fact
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Perfectbeing(m): 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
that is where you will know that it's not the duty of the tenant
The tenants are the ones using the pumping machine. It's their duty to maintain it
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by henchc(m): 5:29pm On Jan 20, 2023
Irresponsible Tenant .

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 5:33pm On Jan 20, 2023
Perfectbeing:
The tenants are the ones using the pumping machine. It's their duty to maintain it
whose dust to maintain the house? if the government is constructing the house and the fence ISS mark for demolition who will fix the fence?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Qatar2022: 5:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
is the duty of the landlord, water was considered before paying the rent
It's a lie bro , tenant should buy it because they're the one using it
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Spandau: 5:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
no one tamper with the machine, the machine got spoiled of it own, in taking rent there is what is call causion feel which is normally 5% of the total rentage, it cover the expenses of things like that.

Don't mind the otondo guy.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lsoul: 5:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
Levels1:

Little kid, you are wrong.

Why not permit that to see the fact
if you have up to 7 houses documents, I will show you 10 of mine. This is no bragging then we can let's have a stake and see. If not runaway little one
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by descarado: 5:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
It is the landlords duty. He refuses, tenants will do the math and deduct from rent. This is the official thing to do before the law.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Qatar2022: 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out
It's seems you have not pay rent before in this country
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jones4190(m): 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2023
Qatar2022:

It's a lie bro , tenant should buy it because they're the one using it
who own the machine, tenant or the landlord?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by descarado: 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2023
Perfectbeing:
Not possible. Seems you guys don't know your right as tenants.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

Bro, it's something I did. You Nigerians have subservient mentality.
I called the landlord and he told me he isn't responsible for the spoilt machine and won't be responsible for fixing it. I asked him if anyone told him I reached into the hole and destroyed the machine. He refused to answer. I kept quiet. Since we were two in the compound, we contributed money and bought a new one but I made sure to keep the faulty one. I was lucky the other guy left before me. When I was leaving, I removed the working one and installed his faulty one.
A week or so later, he called me and I reminded him when the pumping machine spoiled. He was dumbstruck.
Let him tell the incoming tenants to buy a new one.
Werey wey dey disguise

Lol.

I greet you!

I just happen to be in a mood where plenty words aren't exactly feeling palatable to my palates today. So, your take on the issue is right. And I don't have a subservient mentality.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Perfectbeing(m): 5:37pm On Jan 20, 2023
descarado:

Not possible. Seems you guys don't know your right as tenants.
So you mean if the pumping machine keeps spoiling like 3 to 4 times per year I'd keep on replacing it?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Perfectbeing(m): 5:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

whose dust to maintain the house? if the government is constructing the house and the fence ISS mark for demolition who will fix the fence?
Totally different scenario bros. And you know it..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fence Building Section / Truck Carrying Gas Cylinders Explode In Edo State, Houses Burnt. Photos / How To Calculate Quantity&cost Of Asbestors Or PVC Ceiling Needed 4 Your Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.