Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,926 members, 7,828,207 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (31103 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by descarado: 5:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
CaptainFM1:
If the landlord had one in the house for the tenants and they damage it, it's the tenants that will be responsible to buy a replacement.

Tenants didn't damage it. It got damaged while on duty. The two statements are diff.

Leaking roof or bust pipe also fall on that category.
Damaged while on duty. Landlord's responsibility.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Qatar2022: 5:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

who own the machine, tenant or the landlord?
Believe me landlord will bought it for the first time but when it spoiled tenants repair it and any other things upward
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by kolokolobi(m): 5:42pm On Jan 20, 2023
First what's in the agreement.

Secondly is there a service charge administration and is this covered there in.

Bottom line except expressly stated tenants fix it or replace it as it was working when they moved in.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by NovusHomo(m): 5:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out

That would be stealing. They were not the ones who bought the machine in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by descarado: 5:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Perfectbeing:
So you mean if the pumping machine keeps spoiling like 3 to 4 times per year I'd keep on replacing it?
Landlord should patronise good pumping machine and good mechanic.
Power spike damages pumping machine. Look for ways to cushion the effect of power spike.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by rajiedreez: 5:47pm On Jan 20, 2023
luluosas:
In my opinion, it's the landlord duty, as far rent is being paid. Now, if the roof is leaking, should the tenants be responsible?

Things like leaking roof, collapsed fence rebuild are landlords problem
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by SPAMBOX7: 5:47pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:
Pumping machines especially the submersible type are buried underground.
If it spoils, it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix it.
If he doesn't, anytime the tenants are going, they reserve the right to remove it and leave his faulty one for him.
Any landlord wey wan show himself, his eyes will clear when the tenant is packing out.

I once had a landlord who showed himself and I cleared his eyes grin grin
grin grin
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 20, 2023
If there was one when the tenants moved in (meaning that it got spoilt in the course of use), then the tenants need to repair or replace it themselves. You're supposed to maintain the house you're living in.

But if the tenants didn't meet any when they moved into the apartment, then the landlord has to do the needful. It's his house. Unless the tenants will be allowed to take it with them when relocating elsewhere.

However, if the landlord foots the bill, tenants should realize that the value of the apartment has automatically increased (which should translate to a slight increment on their rents too)

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 5:51pm On Jan 20, 2023
lsoul:
if you have up to 7 houses documents, I will show you 10 of mine. This is no bragging then we can let's have a stake and see. If not runaway little one

My brother, I'm very much interested.

With certificate of occupancy.

We are not talking about face me and slap me but a modern building.

Chat me up via 0810 372 0593.

I will be waiting.

Thanks
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by ejimatic: 5:52pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?
. It is yiur duty to repair your pumping machine if it is faulty. If it does not work again you can buy another one which you will remove when yiu are moving to yiur own house! Many lanlords will say don't use my rent to purchase a new machine. So if you buy it without his involment, remove it when you are relocating to yiur own house.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by CaptainFM1: 5:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
descarado:

Tenants didn't damage it. It got damaged while on duty. The two statements are diff.

Leaking roof or bust pipe also fall on that category.
Damaged while on duty. Landlord's responsibility.

The same way your toilet sceptic got filled while on duty!

That's why I said to avoid doubt some rent agreement would spell out each parties responsibilities. In the absence of None, the tenant can leave the house once his rent finishes.

However, the landlord will need to cover the repair cost from the tenants security fee and whatever remains if any will be paid to the tenant.

It all depends on what is in the agreement they both signed to.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by flourishing247: 5:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sammy07:

So if roof get carried away by wind.

Water closet collapse and get spoilt

Pumping machine spoilt

Na me go repair all of that?

Is this a joke? cheesy

I swear the landlord won't collect his next rent if he doesn't fix em

You fix and it is deducted from your house rent.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lsoul: 5:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Levels1:

My brother, I'm very much interested.

With certificate of occupancy.

We are not talking about face me and slap me but a modern building.

Chat me up via 0810 372 0593.

I will be waiting.

Thanks
I am not your brother, undecided, I have modern building and a plaza, home yours is at choice location? I don't want ikorodu, agbara, Ogun or Ibadan or ya village family house? I will WhatsApp soonest to show you mine if you meet my conditions
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Levels1(m): 6:05pm On Jan 20, 2023
lsoul:

I am not your brother, undecided, I have modern building and a plaza, home yours is at choice location? I don't want ikorodu, agbara, Ogun or Ibadan or ya village family house? I will WhatsApp soonest to show you mine if you meet my conditions

Aburo, you talk too much.

Chat me up biko

Like I said, it must include certificate of occupancy.

Stop the chat and let's do the needful.

Don't keep me waiting for too long, okay

Thanks.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by BecomeALandLord(m): 6:06pm On Jan 20, 2023
Zonefree:

I doubt you've ever rented a house.

It's clear he/she hasn't rented a house.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by PROPEACE: 6:09pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.
If he doesn't fix it, they should park and leave to another compound, if he likes, let him not change it. Stupid landlord.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by 5starMan: 6:13pm On Jan 20, 2023
The slavery has made everyone not to no know their right again.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fergie001: 6:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
PROPEACE:

If he doesn't fix it, they should park and leave to another compound, if he likes, let him not change it. Stupid landlord.
grin grin cheesy
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobodysboo(m): 6:17pm On Jan 20, 2023
It's the landlord's duty: the tenants will eventually leave the house for him if they find it diffecult to get water from other houses
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by SirFred1759: 6:22pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sumor or pumping machine, is a sole responsibility of the Landlord, if he is staying there or not. He can only ask the tenants to replace and ask them to deduct from rent. There are major things the landlord takes care of, because is part of the reason he takes the amount he takes for rent, which that pump is part of it. Roofing, painting and general maintenance.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by FireUpNow(m): 6:22pm On Jan 20, 2023
Who is using it will have to repair or replace it because it was in good working condition when you rented the apartment and working

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by esosuo: 6:26pm On Jan 20, 2023
It is the duty of the tenant if the machine did not spoil out of old age or maybe a fake machine , if it got bad due to misuse or bad current the tenant should take charge because it was handled to them in good condition
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Jevica: 6:27pm On Jan 20, 2023
Under normal rent agreements there’s always maintenance clause attached to it which cover sweeping, sewage disposal, boreholes etc. whiny didn’t you ask your landlord to provide you with generator and fuel. I pray you become landlord one day
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by hillaryjeff(m): 6:34pm On Jan 20, 2023
Must you quarell in every arguement? The submersible pump can develope a fault that repairable, agreed the tenant can fix that one. e.g electrical fault, dissengagement of the riser pipe and changing the morto of the pump. Besides if any careless tenant tamper with the pump marine rope and the pump goes under the water resulting to a situation where you have to fish out the pump, tenant may be liable to pay for the fishing but for buying of new pump please channel it to the oga @ the top.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by DoxxAnon: 6:46pm On Jan 20, 2023
If the landlord refuses to replace the pump and I know he is fully aware of the damaged pump then it is simple;

Buy a new pump

Remove damaged pump and store it in a safe place

Install your new pump and enjoy your stay

When you are leaving the property, reinstall the damaged pump and keep your pump. One day when you build your own property, you will have use for it

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lereinter(m): 6:48pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.

If it's beyond repair na landlord go buy and increase rent to its effect even not immediately

Pumping machine are one of the physical structure of a building
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lereinter(m): 6:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
Zonefree:

Dey play.

Landlord follow you dey stay for the compound?

We paid 12k each to fix our pumping machine last year October, landlord is not even aware.

Fix is different from buying new

Else the tenants should remove the money from subsequent rent money
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fergie001: 6:51pm On Jan 20, 2023
lereinter:
If it's beyond repair na landlord go buy and increase rent to its effect even not immediately

Pumping machine are one of the physical structure of a building
Everything depends on the landlord and the type of tenants he has.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by oloyedewaris(m): 6:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

Ehen. Chief investigator. Tell me how I spoilt it.
I'm sure if rain blows off the roof it's me that spoilt it too
Mugu
Thats a different case, it's natural occurrence that caused roof to remove

But Its your usage that spoilt the pumping machine,
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lookingfly: 6:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:
Pumping machines especially the submersible type are buried underground.
If it spoils, it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix it.
If he doesn't, anytime the tenants are going, they reserve the right to remove it and leave his faulty one for him.
Any landlord wey wan show himself, his eyes will clear when the tenant is packing out.

I once had a landlord who showed himself and I cleared his eyes grin grin
same thing with me and my former land lady........it was the day the day I wanted leaving the house that she knew I was packing. She treated us badly and I dealt with her before leaving. That woman deliberately removed the tank supplying the whole house in name of selling water outside making us to surfer unduly. You pack car, she complains, you lock gate she complains, you bring visitors she complains, you come back late she complains......it wasn't easy living with her.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by lereinter(m): 6:57pm On Jan 20, 2023
jmoore:

Who spoil the property? No be tenants? You spoil something and you want landlord wey no use am to replace am free of charge. No be juju be that?

Hear yourself

And you want a new nigeria

How will tenants intentionally destroy pumping machine

So if roof spoil na tenant go repair too

Nigerians are horrible
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2023
Levels1:

Aburo, you talk too much.

Chat me up biko

Like I said, it must include certificate of occupancy.

Stop the chat and let's do the needful.

Don't keep me waiting for too long, okay

Thanks.
That's how you know people who just boast emptily
See shalaye with no end for something he started

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fence Building Section / Truck Carrying Gas Cylinders Explode In Edo State, Houses Burnt. Photos / How To Calculate Quantity&cost Of Asbestors Or PVC Ceiling Needed 4 Your Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.