Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,197 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (31132 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by CaptainFM1: 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
If the landlord had one in the house for the tenants and they damage it, it's the tenants that will be responsible to buy a replacement.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
jmoore:

Don't fix it. You will use urine to bath and cook na, since water is not important to you.

When the septic tank is full, the landlord will pay for the evacuation. The landlord will pay for your sanitation fee and electricity bills.

Na broke tenants dey do all these arguments

Wait for the landlord to come back from 3months vacation to fix the water,fix the septic tank etc.. una go wait tire

It's a two way relationship, the landlord doesn't use it,he provided it and gave it to you guys to use, if it spoils,you guys should fix it or wait till landlord comes,that's if it's in ur agreement b4 renting the house

The roofing is different from the pumping machine, the house is different from the appliances, if light spoil, u go wait for landlord who lives far from you to come and fix it

The 5% fee you pay is that, this is how my house is, if you are leaving I expect it to be like that else your money isn't refundable

It's a simple logic

I gave you phone to use, when you buy or tired of using you return it back, the phone spoilt,you dey call me to come fix am for you

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Dshocker(m): 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?

Of course it is the landlord, but if it develops fault, all the tenant will contribute money to fix it.

And in a situation where they can't fix it, the landlord brings half of the money, while the tenants brings the remaining half.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by nnamdi640: 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:

if the tenant fix it for you then they reserve the right to remove it when they are packing out
What if they are more than 2 tenants that contributed in order to fix it.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
Na landlord duty, me busying paying money for rent so i will be mumu paying for pumping machine, i de crazy
adekolaelect:
You will become a landlord tomorrow then the Tenant will use pumping machine faulty and you will go there to repair it for them even you will evacuate their soakaway for them. It is the right of landlord to provide the normal things like that for the Tenants but the Tenant need to continuing maintaining it.
Simple tactics, I go fix am come increase the rent, mata no pas like dat

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Sleekfingers: 3:50pm On Jan 20, 2023
Jones4190:
no one tamper with the machine, the machine got spoiled of it own, in taking rent there is what is call causion feel which is normally 5% of the total rentage, it cover the expenses of things like that.

Your caution fee is meant to be giving back to you , when you are leaving the house, without damaging anything.
Is it not meant to spent , while you are still a tenant there

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by VIKTO83(m): 3:51pm On Jan 20, 2023
I believe availability of water in the house most definitely influenced d Rent.
The landlord takes responsibility of fixing the water facilities, emptying d soakaway, repairing roofs, r3painting the houses, changing and maint3nance of the compound.

But those factors must be considered when renting an apartment.
Unfortunat3ly Nigerians don't take them into consideration.
However, in some terms of tenancy, the tenant yak3 inventory of whatever that's in d property and keep them in good condition. While leaving d property u must make sure they are in good condition too.

So the bottom line is that the leaser and leasee must come to a renting agreem3nt.
Funny too is that people pay foe agreement while j don't understand what agreement they are reaching if such important factors are not considered.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by davodyguy: 3:52pm On Jan 20, 2023
Anyone that uses the fixture, will expect it to deprecate and must fix it
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 20, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:

Yeah, that's what we do where I stay. As long as the landlord isn't living there, the tenants contribute to repair the pump.

Where I stay now, the landlord lives there, and we contribute anytime the pumping machine has fault

Yes, since the landlord is also living there,he is also going to contribute to the repairs but contrary to that, just dey play till when he returns from 6 months vacation
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by integrity16(m): 3:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
Tenants of course. Landlords who replaces pumping machine for tenants does so out of magnanimity.

5 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Wazman15: 3:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.

So, if as a tenant I contributed with others to buy a new pumping machine but decide to move out of the house after few months, am I going to have a refund?

Don't forget I even pain an nonrefundable DAMAGE fees before moving into the apartment.

Lagos landlords are even worse of. Paid for a 2 bedroom apartment. Complained to the landlord the water closet was faulty and the kitchen cabinet needed some renovation/replacement. The man got annoyed claiming it wasn't his duty to replace anything there. He transfered my money back.

My present landlord is nice, fixes anything, unless you didn't inform him
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by eldoradoxx: 3:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

Can the landlord rent the house to a new tenant without a functional pumping machine? Anything that a landlord cannot rent his house without is his complete obligation to maintain. The machine belongs to the landlord, so he should keep it maintained.

4 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by phemmyfour: 3:53pm On Jan 20, 2023
jessylaurel:

The landlord should buy upon completion of the house if it's a new house. But once it's bad the tenant is meant to buy and replace, the tenant can decides to take it when vacating the house. Simple.

Or are you saying the landlord would replace a spoilt bulb whenever it goes bad? No. The house now belong partially to the tenant upon payment of rent.
Wrong
You mean every tenant in that house will buy pumping machine each? It's still the responsible of the landlord. Bulb is a personal gadget not a facility.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by israelmao(m): 3:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
That is where terms and conditions in your tenancy agreement come in.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Oracleee: 3:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
phemmyfour:
It's the duty of the landlord. The tenant isn't going to remove the machine when leaving the house.

Landlord is responsible for the facilities available to the tenants.

It's quite cheeky. That's why it's always okay to have a future agreement before paying for rent
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by 18wheeler: 3:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
Tenant to pay. Landlord doesn’t use the pump so why should he pay? Tenant should visit the statutory provisions of the tenancy law and see that a lot of responsibilities lie on him that are generally ignored.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Ferdinandu(m): 3:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
If you are paying service charge it is the landlord, if not it is the tenants duty

5 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Samuel1402(m): 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
If landlord put a bulb inside ur bedroom when u rented ur appartment, and the bulb stop working after just two month, will u ask landlord to come and change the bulb for u ?

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Pootle: 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
the last place i stayed we contributed for a new water pump and and i packed out 2month later undecided
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Sunnyski: 3:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
Zonefree:

I doubt you've ever rented a house.

what if the tenants decide to pack out? grin cheesy
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by DLuciano: 3:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Tookool:

12k each to repair? How many of una cus new 1hp pumping machine no pass 45k

Well, it depends on the number of you in that yard. In my own case, we the tenants take the responsibility of fixing the general facilities, if we must keep enjoying them. We replace the water pumping machines when its bad, we evacuate the sewage when full, we hired and pay monthly for our gateman, if the electricity to the yard is faulty, we contribute and fix it. The landlord has provided the basic amenities and that is your attraction to the house, its now the responsibility of the tenant to keep enjoying it, by running its maintenance.

5 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by CaptainFM1: 3:56pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?

Your query is not clear enough!
You've got to state:

1. If it's a replacement pump, i.e tenants damaged the one landlord installed

Or

2. There was none in the house before.

The Answer for the two questions below:

1. Tenants

2. Landlord

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by phemmyfour: 3:57pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

So if the roof of your house removed or wall collapsed, you LL allow tenant to fix it "anyhow" for you in the name of "roof was there before.

Gadgets and buildings ain't design to last forever
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Curious345: 3:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

As a landlord , I support you
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by BATified2023: 3:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

so u expect me to repair his pumping water for him?

So if the fence collapses the tenants will have to build it cos since they are d ones staying in d house?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Makamatic: 3:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sammy07:

So paying over 250k every year I don't deserve water?

You suppose say, government should build public toilets for us to use and I don't need kitchen, I should be using wood to cook

SMH.

What about people who pay about 700k in Abuja and still pay money monthly to water board

3 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by valentineuwakwe(m): 3:59pm On Jan 20, 2023
Its a simple case but some of us will see truth n call it bitter....
If its to repair then all tenants will contribute to it and where it is way too high sef they may involve the landlord to contribute too.

Then if its a case of getting a new one..its he landlord..if he is not buoyant enuf the tenants can come in....the house n property belongs to him n no tenant will move out with any of compound properties.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by 18wheeler: 4:00pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sunnyski:

what if the tenants decide to pack out? grin cheesy
The tenant is supposed to leave all facilities in the condition he met them when he rented the house. This is not being observed in practice due to ignorance of the rules on the part of both landlords and tenants.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by sudeba(m): 4:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
If the landlord fix the pump, then the landlord should pay for his tenants electricity bills as he stays in the compound with them.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by ZUBY77(m): 4:01pm On Jan 20, 2023
This question is a debate between poor and rich tenants.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by josephevergreen(m): 4:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
Is the responsibility of the landlord but Lagos landlord too the form jagaban...our own done spoil for over 6month now landlord still the promise us ..

My co-tenant no gree make rub mind do am ..so all of us the hustle water now.😜

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Calculate Quantity&cost Of Asbestors Or PVC Ceiling Needed 4 Your Project / LRU Arrives Collapsed School With Echo Devices To Scan For Persons Alive / Introducing Havens Cottage: Affordable Luxury Homes In Epe (Starting from ₦13m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.