Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,081 members, 7,828,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? (31119 Views)

Should I Confront Directly Or Report To The Landlord? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by adekolaelect(m): 10:01pm On Jan 19, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:
Pumping machines especially the submersible type are buried underground.
If it spoils, it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix it.
If he doesn't, anytime the tenants are going, they reserve the right to remove it and leave his faulty one for him.
Any landlord wey wan show himself, his eyes will clear when the tenant is packing out.

I once had a landlord who showed himself and I cleared his eyes grin grin
You will become a landlord tomorrow then the Tenant will use pumping machine faulty and you will go there to repair it for them even you will evacuate their soakaway for them. It is the right of landlord to provide the normal things like that for the Tenants but the Tenant need to continuing maintaining it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 10:03pm On Jan 19, 2023
Sammy07:

So paying over 250k every year I don't deserve water?

You suppose say, government should build public toilets for us to use and I don't need kitchen, I should be using wood to cook

SMH.
This is not beer parlor talk. Meet a lawyer and learn. Na landlord go pay for your electricity bill?

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Sammy07: 10:09pm On Jan 19, 2023
jmoore:

This is not beer parlor talk. Meet a lawyer and learn. Na landlord go pay for your electricity bill?

He won't pay for my electricity bill

Same way he won't pump the water

If the meter, pumping machine got spoilt.
I have the right to request replacement cos I paid for it

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Sammy07: 10:11pm On Jan 19, 2023
adekolaelect:
You will become a landlord tomorrow then the Tenant will use pumping machine faulty and you will go there to repair it for them even you will evacuate their soakaway for them. It is the right of landlord to provide the normal things like that for the Tenants but the Tenant need to continuing maintaining it.

And the tenants just wake up one day, carry caterpillar to spoil am undecided

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 10:28pm On Jan 19, 2023
Sammy07:

He won't pay for my electricity bill
Same way he won't pump the water
If the meter, pumping machine got spoilt. I have the right to request replacement cos I paid for it
If water was not stated in the tenancy agreement, you PAID NOTHING.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Sammy07: 10:30pm On Jan 19, 2023
jmoore:

If water was not stated in the tenancy agreement, you PAID NOTHING.

Why I go rent house wey no get water?

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Yankee101: 10:32pm On Jan 19, 2023
How long was it installed?
Did you break it as tenants before its average lifespan?
If yes the tenants are responsible
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jmoore(m): 10:36pm On Jan 19, 2023
Sammy07:

Why I go rent house wey no get water?

Na you sabi.

I reiterate. If water was not stated in the tenancy agreement, you didn't pay for water.

All these gra gra na just for show. You paid for rent without reading tenancy agreement and you are claiming RIGHT. Chai!

5 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:56pm On Jan 19, 2023
adekolaelect:
I'm already a landlord. Sorry.

I'm also a tenant. And I'm telling you a tenant has no business buying pumping machine. I've given you the logic. It's not possible for tenants to "spoil" pumping machine. Besides that, when they leave, they'll have the right to take the machine with them and leave your broken one for you.
I changed pumping machine in the house I stayed as a tenant and took it with me when I was leaving. If dem born the landlord well, let him come and collect it from me

7 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:59pm On Jan 19, 2023
jmoore:

Don't fix it. You will use urine to bath and cook na, since water is not important to you.

When the septic tank is full, the landlord will pay for the evacuation. The landlord will pay for your sanitation fee and electricity bills.

Seems you're not reading well. If the landlord refuses, I'll change it but I'll take it when I'm leaving the house. Kwachiko?

As for septic tank, it depends. If I enter the house and less than a year the tank is full, then I have no business evacuating it. If however, I've spent more than two years, then I can evacuate it.
You keep sounding as if they used nails to hold you in the house. Na wa o

5 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by stuffs2002: 8:51am On Jan 20, 2023
Buccalcavity2:
The relationship is clear. Tenant is responsible. Landlord gives every asset and asks you to maintain and return as you came in when leaving. Any damage, fault must be repaired by tenant.
I have had interesting case.

No landlord or court would say that because facilities go through normal wear and tear.

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by fergie001: 3:10pm On Jan 20, 2023
Sammy07:
I disagree.
If it happens to me.

Then we will all won't pay for the next rent until something is done.
Some landlords no well ooooo. Something he left in good working conditions?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Reelmii: 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2023
Well na the landlord suppose install the pumping machine but its the duty of the tenants to maintain it
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by gaby(m): 3:38pm On Jan 20, 2023
Landlord..

It's his property and should come with portable water if that was promised during the rental negotiation.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Eniolohunda: 3:39pm On Jan 20, 2023
It is still landlord responsibility, it's just that in Nigeria, everything goes
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Segzy19: 3:40pm On Jan 20, 2023
Joint responsibility...

However, in this case the tenants will bear more responsibility....
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by frowland(m): 3:40pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
Help us solve this matter. Who should buy the pumping machine?

Outside repairs- Landlord
Inside repairs - Tenant

If your kitchen tap is faulty you fix it.
If borehole is bad landlord fixes it.

But here’s the deal….
When I was a tenant as far back as 2005-2011, I was fixing boreholes, repairing spoilt gates and attending street meetings, even paying land use charge (can you believe that?) ….and so on and so forth: These strange behavior made me hungry to have my own house. I dreamt of having a house more than having a car. The pride of paying taxes and bills with your name on it and all sort.
Today the story is completely different.
You too can dream.

9 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Otasikwe(m): 3:41pm On Jan 20, 2023
dat9jaguy:
The landlord is responsible. The tenant can leave at any time.
no be small thinking

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Bigchristo: 3:42pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house.

They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.
Don’t ever say that nonsense again, it’s the duty of the landlord to buy whatever spoils in his compound hence the borehole is not fixed inside the apartment, the tenancy agreement only covers whatever is inside the apartment not the property so the landlord should be the person fixing the borehole issues, this is why is good to have a security guard in a compound so he can be the only person in charge of pumping the borehole to avoid too many hands touching it, in a civilized society Government provide water for you and you pay for it when there’s any maintenance government is responsible

2 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Regex: 3:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

Landlord. Its in his house, he buys, he maintains.

Now whether or not he takes it from the tenants through rent does not concern the tenant.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
fergie001:

The landlord left it for them in good condition and doesn't even live in the house. They are the ones using it. They either buy/repair it or stay without water.

Yeah, that's what we do where I stay. As long as the landlord isn't living there, the tenants contribute to repair the pump.

Where I stay now, the landlord lives there, and we contribute anytime the pumping machine has fault

1 Like

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by TIGERSKY: 3:43pm On Jan 20, 2023
Bros kuku ma buyam oh, because landlords nawa days na to recover the money wey they take build house dey worry dem, they don't give a shit about how you survive nowadays.
If not you go end up like this woooo.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Tookool(m): 3:44pm On Jan 20, 2023
Zonefree:

Dey play.

Landlord follow you dey stay for the compound?

We paid 12k each to fix our pumping machine last year October, landlord is not even aware.
12k each to repair? How many of una cus new 1hp pumping machine no pass 45k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Foodqueen(f): 3:44pm On Jan 20, 2023
This thread wey one guy share for here, don go re- enforce come back?
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by jessylaurel(f): 3:44pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

The landlord should buy upon completion of the house if it's a new house. But once it's bad the tenant is meant to buy and replace, the tenant can decides to take it when vacating the house. Simple.

Or are you saying the landlord would replace a spoilt bulb whenever it goes bad? No. The house now belong partially to the tenant upon payment of rent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by nosike3(m): 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2023
Tenants.. Simple and short...
Someone is saying "I paid 250k and won't have water"...
Build a house first,you will know rent isn't money

6 Likes

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by BigDawsNet: 3:46pm On Jan 20, 2023
Landlord 80%
Tenant 20%
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by Oracleee: 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2023
It's abit complicated but it depends on the agreement between the tenants and landlord. My mum's place the tenants pay upfront for damages, utility and repairs. The last time there was an issue, the lawyer had to access what caused the issue with the generator serving the compound and it was detected it was mechanical and not anyone's fault so we fixed. Other times it could be different.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by phemmyfour: 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
It's the duty of the landlord. The tenant isn't going to remove the machine when leaving the house.

Landlord is responsible for the facilities available to the tenants.
Re: Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? by phemmyfour: 3:49pm On Jan 20, 2023
nosike3:
Tenants.. Simple and short...
Someone is saying "I paid 250k and won't have water"...
Build a house first,you will know rent isn't money
ignorance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Truck Carrying Gas Cylinders Explode In Edo State, Houses Burnt. Photos / How To Calculate Quantity&cost Of Asbestors Or PVC Ceiling Needed 4 Your Project / LRU Arrives Collapsed School With Echo Devices To Scan For Persons Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.