Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,903 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) (35579 Views)

Best Way To Deal With Angry Moments As A Man (Opinion) / I May Not Return - Ghanaian Teacher Says After Finding Pretty White Lady Abroad / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Exceed15: 8:45am On Nov 11, 2023
Your opinion is noted and made some sense However I'd suggest you stay away from marriage because it will never be the way u envisioned it. Funnily you might just be the one that develop headache for the man in the house. You will not fully understand until u get in. One can be happy, fulfilled without marriage. It's society that lied to us that we are missing something big . I m married and n have my challenges I never read in a book or told.

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Abagworo(m): 8:46am On Nov 11, 2023
The best thing you can do for yourself is to marry someone with less emotion cause he will be caring, kind, tolerant and respectful. Oyibo marriage doesn't last because reality sets in and the love will turn to hatred .

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Magnoliaa(f): 8:46am On Nov 11, 2023
Fira 09:
Absolutely nonsense!

The OÇP is even tagging the mods to push the downright-mischievous-impossible-online ego Thread to the frontpage.

No mods in his or her right senses would take this overall garbage 🗑️ Thread to the frontpage

Ouch.

This definitely didn't age well. 😜🤣

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by DeepSight(m): 8:46am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:

Nigerian Men make terrible horsebands

And Nigerian women make great brides from heaven I suppose. Give us a break. If you must write, learn to wield a balanced pen. This hogwash is nothing but the most pathetic whining.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 11, 2023
Magnoliaa:

😂😂😂😂

The tears will flow in excess like the Jordan River.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I hope tears fit generate electricity sha... It will help Nigeria a long way grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by rapheal5(m): 8:48am On Nov 11, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

wow, awesome... you are right and have a strong point
A very compeling piece of idea about Nigerian men... sadly its true but wholistically its myopic.

I am not here to make a CASE for men... i acknowledge your expressed thoughts as reality but as INCOMPLETE.

SEE, MEN ARE NOT LOVED UNCONDITIONALLY... We are only LOVED BY MERIT, RAISED AS HUNTERS TO COMPETE AND PROVIDE else we are not competent.

THE THINGS YOU MENTION WE LACK ARE ACTUALLY NOT LACKING BUT SURPRESSED BY THE HARSH REALITIES OF LIFE WE HAVE LIVED THROUGH....

Let me explain... EVEN on the case of wooing or getting a LADY for sex or marriage... LADIES GENERALLY FEEL SAFER WITH A RICH DUDE, THAN A CARING, EMPATHETIC S.O.B. Whyyy because the COUNTRY IS HARD.... and Ladies think of the FUTURE ALOT.
So after being drilled by our parents to always COME FIRST IN CLASS, and being punished for not coming first or not outdoing others.... we now enter a tetiary institution where only the BEST GRADUANDS are assured of jobs or connections... so we have to compete, hustle for money and do everything possible to be among those who thrive or survive.. AFTER YEARS OF LIVING AS A SURVIVOR.... we now marry, with HOOOOOGEE responsibilities, wife and kids... most likely WIFE HAS NOTHING DOING OR EARNS LITTLE YET FEELS ENTITLED TO BE TREATED LIKE A QUEEN.... Then we should let down our GUARD and still be as caring, as emotionally sensitive, as all that you women want us to be??
C'mon sis... YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL.

Marry unambitious men from other countries who are not living in the same terrible conditions we have had in NIGERIA... they have emotions to spare, because THEIR FINANCIAL SYSTEM WORKS and is DEPENDABLE... not here. So you can't come here and GENERALIZE, when majority of your GENDER.... WILL CHOOSE SIX CARS OVER SIX PACKS. Pls... have some balance.

Little wonder why MEN are no longer interested in MARRIAGE... because it has become like an orphanage, so baby mama is now what many opt for, so as to retain their freedom. Ladies wanting EVERYTHING yet offering so little JUST BECAUSE THEY EXIST, is the highest form of lowkey witchcraft ever. grin

ALL MEN ARE NOT THE SAME, ALL WOMEN ARE NOT THE SAME..... MARRIAGE IS NOT FOR EVERYONE..... BUT MONEY IS IMPORTANT TO ALL.
kudos to you man.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Soltix9y(m): 8:50am On Nov 11, 2023
The whole write up is not intelligent to be honest. It reeks of hate and subjectivity even though the op said she's not hateful
Persephone1:
Example 1

They can't keep healthy intelligent conversations angry

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by LEGALSER: 8:51am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:
[i]"Marry a typical Nigerian Man at your own peril"

When I type these words, it's not from a place of hate towards men ( I don't hate anybody) It is from careful analysis of marriages to Nigerian Men which mostly lack genuine love, empathy and kindness. Nigerian Marriages are mostly driven by "needs" and "means" to an end. Too systematic and unnatural and the one with the highest bargaining chip gets the most benefit.

Our mothers didn't teach us enough about Men. They didn't know either until they got married, unfortunately they are still learning about Men too. That is why the popular saying "Ile oko ile eko ni" (Your husband house is a school) is usually the soothing balm to unfavourable experiences a wife has with her husband. One question I always ask myself when I hear these words as parting words of advice for young wife is. Does that mean she is getting married into a strange,unknown and possibly unfavourable world? Why represent her husband as an unending course? And will she ever graduate and be relieved of painful lessons?. Ask these women these questions and they will shake their heads in mockery but the truth is, They weren't taught enough about the Men they are getting married to. How would they when they didn't know who they are either. To understand another person there must be a certain level of self awareness you have reached yourself. This way you have enough level of intelligence to be a perfect judge of character. But when a woman believe all she needs to be is a good cook and good konji reliever then all she will seek is a man who has Kitchen and bed.

Men are the worst in this joke of an institution. Configured to believe all they need to posses is Financial ability to provide. The upbringing of the typical Nigerian Man is very very wrong. Trained with little to no empathy,kindness, self care, sense of belonging, self love but burdened with sense of responsibility brought up like a robot to "provide" only. Most Nigerian men are robotic minded, unable to connect emotionally without aide yet this men are expected to naturally see their brides as a part of themselves. Wishful thinking if you ask me. And when some men luckily achieve this, the society (Men and Women) mock him. Aside this, they don't readily know what they want and are easily tossed by the society.

We create a society devoid of emotional engagement but want the benefits emotions birth. Compassion and affections brings liberty, a man who lacks these will see his wife as his slave and property, he gets to do with her what he seem best and not what is good for her. We really have a long way to go as a Society.

The funny thing is that after this epistle na people like you Dey make wrong decisions in marriage, whether you marry a Nigerian man or not, you already have a deformed ego and way of reasoning. Las las na even ladies wey no dey interested in all these wey dey marry better husbands and they enjoy their homes. Talk say your mama no teach you anything about men, talk say she failed no Dey bring in all mothers when yours did a terrible job raising you in a wrong way. For you to generalise this shows your problems is in capital letters.

My 2cent.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by kazyhm(m): 8:51am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:

When I type these words, it's not from a place of hate towards men ( I don't hate anybody) It is from careful analysis of marriages to Nigerian Men which mostly lack genuine love, empathy and kindness. Nigerian Marriages are mostly driven by "needs" and "means" to an end. Too systematic and unnatural and the one with the highest bargaining chip gets the most benefit.

Our mothers didn't teach us enough about Men. They didn't know either until they got married, unfortunately they are still learning about Men too. That is why the popular saying "Ile oko ile eko ni" (Your husband house is a school) is usually the soothing balm to unfavourable experiences a wife has with her husband. One question I always ask myself when I hear these words as parting words of advice for young wife is. Does that mean she is getting married into a strange,unknown and possibly unfavourable world? Why represent her husband as an unending course? And will she ever graduate and be relieved of painful lessons?. Ask these women these questions and they will shake their heads in mockery but the truth is, They weren't taught enough about the Men they are getting married to. How would they when they didn't know who they are either. To understand another person there must be a certain level of self awareness you have reached yourself. This way you have enough level of intelligence to be a perfect judge of character. But when a woman believe all she needs to be is a good cook and good konji reliever then all she will seek is a man who has Kitchen and bed.

Men are the worst in this joke of an institution. Configured to believe all they need to posses is Financial ability to provide. The upbringing of the typical Nigerian Man is very very wrong. Trained with little to no empathy,kindness, self care, sense of belonging, self love but burdened with sense of responsibility brought up like a robot to "provide" only. Most Nigerian men are robotic minded, unable to connect emotionally without aide yet this men are expected to naturally see their brides as a part of themselves. Wishful thinking if you ask me. And when some men luckily achieve this, the society (Men and Women) mock him. Aside this, they don't readily know what they want and are easily tossed by the society.

We create a society devoid of emotional engagement but want the benefits emotions birth. Compassion and affections brings liberty, a man who lacks these will see his wife as his slave and property, he gets to do with her what he seem best and not what is good for her. We really have a long way to go as a Society.

You have three choices....
1) Marry a retired man or
2) Marry a new recruit.......
3) Don't marry at all.....

All has it advantages and disadvantages

Only if you understand that life is a crazy ride..... caveat: you can't marry a new recruit and expect retirement benefits......

life is not a bed of roses madam Cinderella!

The question you should have asked is.....do most men like how their life turned out to be or do most men become what they had dream ?

Life is hitherto class struggle

Women think empathy and emotion is all about breaking down in tears............that at its best is a survival trick for women....but for a man...."a chick that can't crack it shell; shall die"

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:52am On Nov 11, 2023
Listen 2
Bury Me A G
by
Rick Ross
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by ShangTsung000: 8:52am On Nov 11, 2023
Na inferiority complex make you type this thing. You no geh case abeg.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by rapheal5(m): 8:52am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:

what you typed is total thrash, and that's the definition of self-obesession or lack of consideration...90percent of you ladies don't know what you want in life.... No wonder some men tagged ladies confused gender..most of you ladies chooses money over caring husband, you need to study your society and make real life research before posting stuffs that smells like poo next time..
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by DCmaverick(m): 8:52am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Mexican Men all the way ✈️✈️

na ur type the fall victim to those ritualists everywhere.
GOLDDIGGER!

wel it ur opinion, which i have to respect
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by TheRedpillguy: 8:53am On Nov 11, 2023
And that is ok, you still have 194 countries to choose from.

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by BreakingNews21: 8:54am On Nov 11, 2023
abeg, horsebands? what be that one? 🤣
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Meedon: 8:54am On Nov 11, 2023
Na Canada
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by PepeXKermit: 8:54am On Nov 11, 2023
The problem with women is that they want men to see the world how they also see the world not realizing that men and women are totally different beings. Like she rightfully said, her mother did not teach her about men. Your mother is not supposed to be teaching you any jackshit about men. Where is your dad? That is his indirect job. If your father was at home and responsible, you will definitely get a glimpse of what a masculine man is about through his behavior. Single mothers have been raising boys and trying to shape them to the man they think women want. Women themselves do not even know what they want. They say they want a man to show emotions, as soon as you show those emotions, they tag you weak. Women are not built to take bitching from men. There is a difference between showing emotions and having emotional intelligence. Don't let them misconstrue both of them to you.

The only way they can have their way is through manipulation as they are the weaker gender and that is the only power they have. This post here is manipulation. If you are a man, you take care of your family, provide and protect, love your kids and wife, don't let any body especially a woman tell you that you are not worthy. Even this one ranting sef she will still have to be in competition with the foreign women for their men. Abi she no hear say black women and Asian men dey the bottom of the dating chain in the world? Nobody wants to be with a black girl outside Africa, so she will tell me if she will be the one doing the choosing. This one still get alot to learn she does not know anything. Its also surprising how these women will think they are very smart but they don't know jackshit about men. Think of it, these women just have to sit there, be pretty and wait for a man to approach them and court them, and for a man who is successful with women, you have to know alot about them, know how to talk to them, predictively think of their needs just to make them happy to even still want to be with you, them on the other hand do not know anything at all, and they will be calling a mans house school. Why you no go call am school when you never even went to it before... Yeye gender. The world does not owe you understanding

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by oweniwe(m): 8:54am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:

Why all these rants?

In normal circumstances, ten (10) men may be asking a woman's hand for marriage, but it is up to her to choose one man out of the 10 men she want to marry.

During the payment of dowry, the girl will be asked in front of everyone.... "Is this the man you want to marry?" And she will reply yes.

So in most normal dating/marriage conditions, it is actually you women that select the man you want to marry out of the many men asking you out. Nobody force you to accept to date or marry the man.

So why are you complaining about your choice. If a woman ends up marrying a bad husband, it is her fault.... Because out of many men asking her out, it is that bad man she choose to marry. Let her bear her cross

4 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:56am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I hope tears fit generate electricity sha... It will help Nigeria a long way grin grin grin grin

download

Bury Me A G

by Rick Ross
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by PepeXKermit: 8:59am On Nov 11, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Ouch.

It did, that means the modnwho took this to fp is not in their right senses..
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by LivingSage: 9:00am On Nov 11, 2023
I don't know what's wrong with you all both men and women angry

What's all these nonsense generalization about angry

Yenyenyen Nigerian men
Yenyenyen Nigerian women

Are there Better people than thesame Nigerian or you all are just psychotic

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by gladdensir(m): 9:02am On Nov 11, 2023
This OP is trying to eclipse every compos mentis homo sapiens here in a pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoniosis and a brobdingnagian floccinaucinihilipilification.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by jeromestarks: 9:07am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:

When I type .

Never invest emotionally in a Nigerian woman else you die daily and shortly.

Give her money. Fvck her. Impregnate her. Take care of her children but never attach your emotions to her.

If you do, you're DEAD!
Do not commit to a Nigerian woman. If you do, you're commiDEAD!

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by MrPresident1: 9:09am On Nov 11, 2023
Marry Cameroonian

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by jeromestarks: 9:09am On Nov 11, 2023
oweniwe:

Why all these rants?

In normal circumstances, ten (10) men may be asking a woman's hand for marriage, but it is up to her to choose one man out of the 10 men she want to marry.

During the payment of dowry, the girl will be asked in front of everyone.... "Is this the man you want to marry?" And she will reply yes.

So in most normal dating/marriage conditions, it is actually you women that select the man you want to marry out of the many men asking you out. Nobody force you to accept to date or marry the man.

So why are you complaining about your choice. If a woman ends up marrying a bad husband, it is her fault.... Because out of many men asking her out, it is that bad man she choose to marry. Let her bear her cross
That's just it.
Persephone1 lacks basic understanding.
Case closed!

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by uvie66: 9:12am On Nov 11, 2023
Persephone1:

You made some valid and good points but fail to mention why Men feel it is their responsibility to meet there financial obligations in the family, there is always undue pressure from there spouse. Most Nigerian women marry for, firstly financial security and secondly love. But uppermost in women's mind is financial security.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by DOM7: 9:12am On Nov 11, 2023
These are kind of women that destroy not only marriages but the society, you can't stand on your own kind of view and perspective and draw a conclusion on billions of men out there.. so biased, selfish and wicked conclusion, you have to deal with your experience as individual and not all, that your own failed doesn't mean all women own fail. What about the terrible women out there? Shout out to all the good men and women out there doing God proud and making our society better God bless you!

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Jamie1000: 9:15am On Nov 11, 2023
A typical Nigerian man is only valued and respected based on what he can provide. Nigerian women don't appreciate a good man or empathetic one. If you can't provide, get lost. Irrespective of how he provides. Weather through
yahoo, stealing or ritual as long as he's not caught, the women are happy. So, the men are wired to provide while the women submit and remain loyal. But, everyone wants to eat thier cake and have it. You want feminism but doesn't want to associate with the responsibility that comes with it. Men wants loyalty but doesn't want to be loyal to thier women. Despite all this, Nigerian men still remain one of the best in being responsible. In other countries, the men are grocely irresponsible for the ladies. E.g 🇬🇧UK

4 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by FX(m): 9:21am On Nov 11, 2023
They should try South African men. Then give us feedback. Nigerian men are the best in world. Go and ask.
Creativity22:

You made a great point. But it still baffles me, when these ladies open there mouth to complain that nigeria men lack empathy and love. Is quite shocking and possibly the biggest lie of the century. Men here try to provide everything for these ingrates. They protect them. They give them absolutely everything they can possibly provide, yet they complain of lack of love, care and empathy towards. Nigerian men demonstrate love, and empathy towards there women regularly. Yes i agree that men here, do cheat alot. But you can never take away the fact that most men are the reason why majority of women are able to even feed today. That is possibly the best way to demonstrate love to your significant half(who may not deserve this title).
Honestly, i strongly encourage these women to try other men. Travel to other countries and try other men, lets see how it goes.
Bunch of worthless ingrates

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by TheFinesseKid: 9:21am On Nov 11, 2023
Magnoliaa:

Ouch.

Rest.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by amadiama(m): 9:23am On Nov 11, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

wow, awesome... you are right and have a strong point
A very compeling piece of idea about Nigerian men... sadly its true but wholistically its myopic.

I am not here to make a CASE for men... i acknowledge your expressed thoughts as reality but as INCOMPLETE.

SEE, MEN ARE NOT LOVED UNCONDITIONALLY... We are only LOVED BY MERIT, RAISED AS HUNTERS TO COMPETE AND PROVIDE else we are not competent.

THE THINGS YOU MENTION WE LACK ARE ACTUALLY NOT LACKING BUT SURPRESSED BY THE HARSH REALITIES OF LIFE WE HAVE LIVED THROUGH....

Let me explain... EVEN on the case of wooing or getting a LADY for sex or marriage... LADIES GENERALLY FEEL SAFER WITH A RICH DUDE, THAN A CARING, EMPATHETIC S.O.B. Whyyy because the COUNTRY IS HARD.... and Ladies think of the FUTURE ALOT.
So after being drilled by our parents to always COME FIRST IN CLASS, and being punished for not coming first or not outdoing others.... we now enter a tetiary institution where only the BEST GRADUANDS are assured of jobs or connections... so we have to compete, hustle for money and do everything possible to be among those who thrive or survive.. AFTER YEARS OF LIVING AS A SURVIVOR.... we now marry, with HOOOOOGEE responsibilities, wife and kids... most likely WIFE HAS NOTHING DOING OR EARNS LITTLE YET FEELS ENTITLED TO BE TREATED LIKE A QUEEN.... Then we should let down our GUARD and still be as caring, as emotionally sensitive, as all that you women want us to be??
C'mon sis... YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL.

Marry unambitious men from other countries who are not living in the same terrible conditions we have had in NIGERIA... they have emotions to spare, because THEIR FINANCIAL SYSTEM WORKS and is DEPENDABLE... not here. So you can't come here and GENERALIZE, when majority of your GENDER.... WILL CHOOSE SIX CARS OVER SIX PACKS. Pls... have some balance.

Little wonder why MEN are no longer interested in MARRIAGE... because it has become like an orphanage, so baby mama is now what many opt for, so as to retain their freedom. Ladies wanting EVERYTHING yet offering so little JUST BECAUSE THEY EXIST, is the highest form of lowkey witchcraft ever. grin

ALL MEN ARE NOT THE SAME, ALL WOMEN ARE NOT THE SAME..... MARRIAGE IS NOT FOR EVERYONE..... BUT MONEY IS IMPORTANT TO ALL.

Oil dey your head..

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by TheFinesseKid: 9:23am On Nov 11, 2023
Jamie1000:
A typical Nigerian man is only valued and respected based on what he can provide. Nigerian women don't appreciate a good man or empathetic one. If you can't provide, get lost. Irrespective of how he provides. Weather through
yahoo, stealing or ritual as long as he's not caught, the women are happy. So, the men are wired to provide while the women submit and remain loyal. But, you women wants to eat your cake and have it. You want feminism but doesn't want to associate with the responsibility that comes with it. Nigerian men still remain the best in being responsible. In other countries, the men are grocely irresponsible for the ladies. E.g 🇬🇧UK
majority of women born 1994-downwards are senseless. And it's a cold hard fact. You see the useless Gen Z's? Those ones are relentless in exhibiting their foolishness. I prolly won't get married . Just baby mamas would do. CR7 get sense.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Fans Left Shocked As Zodwa Wabantu Cleans Her House Pantyless / My Boyfriend Hunting Experience In Lekki / HELP ! My P*nties Do give Me Orgasm When Walking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.