Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,864 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) (35688 Views)

Best Way To Deal With Angry Moments As A Man (Opinion) / I May Not Return - Ghanaian Teacher Says After Finding Pretty White Lady Abroad / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Kelechi009: 7:28pm On Feb 17, 2023
Persephone1:
I love your contribution and I am pleased you try to make others see from men's perspective. Believe me, i understand your points as well. I am not one to throw allegations or speak ill of people without trying to understand what made them who they are. From my write up, i insult no one but rather blame the society for raising both genders the wrong way.

Most Nigerian marriages do not last anymore, they are not standing the test of time. The modern marriage is nothing to write home about due to evolution i.e changes in our ways of lives. There is a shift but Men want to retain traditional benefits of being Men.

Women are taking just as much as financial responsibilities men take, you will hardly see a home where Men provides all in this Nigeria economy yet women are expected to continue with traditional homes. You all play this providing card so much that one is left to wonder if women don't also share responsibilities in the homes anymore. How may Men can successfully run a home singlehandedly?

Most Men lose interest in Marriage because they can't keep up, they have lost the bargaining power and are yet to understand or conform to the new dating norms. Thats where their issues lies, they don't know how to be in "control" because things have changed. They suffer reality shock because contrary to what they were raised with, they need more that having a manhood to thrive in the society.

The truth is Most men weren't raised with love in the Nigerian culture, that is why it is found wanting in typical Nigerian Man.

Whatever you wrote here & also in your initial post completely ignores the fact that Nigeria is highly traditional and those roles which are defined and expected of us in the 80s and are still expected of us today in 2023. We can all summersault 100 times and It won't change anything for both genders. In Nigeria. Do you what is funny? This same type of analog love is what people in Western countries miss & they always cry about how they miss Lagos men & how Lagos men take care of them the most, I suggest you should invest more time in watching British black women podcasts. Watch programmes that explore more of black women outside Nigeria. Go on Instagram, see what women are saying about Lagos men. You'll be shocked.

Nairaland is a bubble dear, big bubble.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 11:14pm On Feb 17, 2023
This is how you know those that came from broken homes, or had bad fathers, and whose brothers too are same.

It's not an insult but it's fact.
If you have this much against Nigerian men, you won't like any man at all. You need some education about human psychology, and how it varies by gender.

Your mind is broken. Don't get married. Nigerian men don't want to marry you too.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Cinema4d: 8:20am On Feb 18, 2023
crows2ravens:
This is how you know those that came from broken homes, or had bad fathers, and whose brothers too are same.

It's not an insult but it's fact.
If you have this much against Nigerian men, you won't like any man at all. You need some education about human psychology, and how it varies by gender.

Your mind is broken. Don't get married. Nigerian men don't want to marry you too.
Exactly. I wonder what makes her think other men from different nationalities are different 🤷‍♂️

These countries Maldives, Belarus, United States, Cuba, etc have the highest rate of divorce compared to africa combined.

Just making random generalizations. They never admit they're the problem.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Obarofrederick(m): 1:31pm On Feb 18, 2023
CaveAdullam:
1. If you say they are "horsebands", I get the point. But to say "they lack empathy is a twist of facts and reality".

Ok. Let's go.

2. Genuine love means the tendency to go beyond your boundary and make sacrifices for the person you desire. This can cause you pain and loss, however, you don't care because you are obsessed with this person - your lover.

3. Firstly, is there anything like genuine love?

"Genuine" becomes attached to "love" when the sacrifice of one lover supersedes the other. Or, when both are working together and reciprocating the benefits they gain from each other, albeit, unequal.

There's nothing like "genuine love".

Though, we may want to cancel the aforementioned by introducing religion: God and his worshippers, and nature: a mother and her child.

It seems genuine because both God and the mother are stronger and wiser. They cater for the ones beneath them because they are weak. However, if this relationship between them can tarry amid sin and old age, it would have been "pure genuine love". But this is not the case. In the end, God wants stainless worship and the mother wants to be taken care of in old age. Their present sacrifice is speculation of reciprocity in the future.

4. Empathy and kindness are easy byproducts of "genuine" love, even outside the sexual relationship.

Take note: there is nothing like Nigerian men or Nigerian women. Men are men. Women are women. There will always be tinctures that tend to differentiate them in their behaviors, but these are just social behaviors, that sprout from their culture, tradition, background, etc. To get the full scope of "men are men" and "women are women", you must begin to microscopically examine them from their evolutionary behavior, biochemical makeup, and physical and psychological makeup. Now you don't judge from one demography, you conclude by judging men and women from different demographics.

5. Constant weddings keep churning weekly. Men in their hordes still complain about being manipulated and losing their money.

Young women still see young men without luxury as useless (of course, they are useless to women in the grand scheme of the reproductive game).

Weak men who plead for love aka "simps" still abound.

This evidence questions your take on their level of empathy, kindness, and genuine love. If they were absent, it wouldn't have been the case.

6. To date, (Nigerian) men are still proving their love for (Nigerian) women. Empathy, genuine love, and kindness are famous in men's corridors. They may be suppressed, but for the women they love, it manifests.

7. Meanwhile, men don't marry women they hate. But a woman can deceive a man into marrying her even if she doesn't love him. It is a psychological and evolutionary game.

8. I agree.

But as stated above, relationship is a transaction, love is the currency. It is less mechanical because both love themselves and fight to stay above the odds or see each other not as tools but rather, as an unequal useful pair.

9. Let me tell you, it is women and children that benefit not the man. The man holds a greater power because he's able to provide and protect for his family. What's his benefit there?

10. Women cook and clean, a role that can easily be reversed and given to a maid for lesser amount and problems. But can the woman wake up one morning and pick any man that will commit? No.

You may think that this is the reason women should become independent and have their money. Yet if she gets married, she desires the man to meet up with his primal duties. In egalitarian societies, there are still sexual differences.

11. The benefits men derived are evolutionary. The benefits women derived are evolutionary, physical, material, and emotional.

12. You are correct.

What you must understand is that the average human is under the control of their primal instincts. Despite our evolved environment, that hunter-gatherer instinct wired in us for thousands of years still got a loud mouth and a loudspeaker.

It takes self-awareness to understand another person, only then will you be able to reach reasonable conclusions about people and not fall into feuds daily.

13. Based on their nature and environment, cooking and cleaning were the appropriate ways to get their number 1 priority, which was to get married to a man that will fulfill their needs. In the same way, "horsebands" work hard to provide for their wives.

These were the thought of 99.9% of women even to date. The reason you are objecting is because of the rapid change in our environment, level of exposure, and information consumed.

14. However, there is a need for women to understand themselves before even choosing a man. Here the importance of a father and mother becomes imminent, to guard, lead and counsel her in the way of men and the operations of the world.

15. Financial resources are not all they need, however, come first on the list of what they should possess before getting married.

Finance is important for his personal growth and development.

Without finance, he will be ridiculed.

Without finance, no one will respect him.

Women want commitment, finance signals that. This is what women consider before marriage.

16. Intelligence, personality, wisdom, kindness, empathy, confidence, and braveness comes second. If women chase this second bag in men, many wouldn't have been baby mamas/single mothers who complain about deadbeat dads; finance may not be obvious for this reason, but there was the mystery of it. They made the mistake of choosing wrongly.

17. These personalities may be suppressed due to circumstances at a particular time, but for the average man, these personalities are quotidian in their domain. You just need to observe the way they treat their loved ones and the people around them.

18. Women or not, men must provide, either for their family or themselves. It is because of this eternal burden to provide that makes them dwell less in the emotional domain. That emotional plane is for women because nobody expects much from them.

Men must either provide or create or else, be considered a nuisance. A bigger nuisance if he opts out of the game because he will first be disrespected and later die of hunger.

19. To be sincere, all men desire in a woman is teachableness, smartness, boldness and being able to fulfill her common role: nurturing, cleaning, and cooking.

Woke and independent women going off the scale find a problem with men since in the long run, men aren't willing to comply.

Many men are sheep though.

20. For the record, men don't marry women they hate. The cost of a wedding ceremony and running a family is too risky a task to treat a woman wrongly. Disagreements will always arise but they wouldn't get to the point it will erase his love for her except otherwise.

21. It is left for the woman to do a thorough job on the man she decides to submit to. Women make mistakes in selecting the wrong men and cry cats and dogs when these men aren't what they bargained for.

Thanks.

Cc. Emmaodet, Hedgefunds, Reminderz
My Man wink

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by pressplay411(m): 2:41pm On Apr 19, 2023
Persephone1:
"Marry a typical Nigerian Man at your own peril"

When I type these words, it's not from a place of hate towards men ( I don't hate anybody) It is from careful analysis of marriages to Nigerian Men which mostly lack genuine love, empathy and kindness. Nigerian Marriages are mostly driven by "needs" and "means" to an end. Too systematic and unnatural and the one with the highest bargaining chip gets the most benefit.

Our mothers didn't teach us enough about Men. They didn't know either until they got married, unfortunately they are still learning about Men too. That is why the popular saying "Ile oko ile eko ni" (Your husband house is a school) is usually the soothing balm to unfavourable experiences a wife has with her husband. One question I always ask myself when I hear these words as parting words of advice for young wife is. Does that mean she is getting married into a strange,unknown and possibly unfavourable world? Why represent her husband as an unending course? And will she ever graduate and be relieved of painful lessons?. Ask these women these questions and they will shake their heads in mockery but the truth is, They weren't taught enough about the Men they are getting married to. How would they when they didn't know who they are either. To understand another person there must be a certain level of self awareness you have reached yourself. This way you have enough level of intelligence to be a perfect judge of character. But when a woman believe all she needs to be is a good cook and good konji reliever then all she will seek is a man who has Kitchen and bed.

Men are the worst in this joke of an institution. Configured to believe all they need to posses is Financial ability to provide. The upbringing of the typical Nigerian Man is very very wrong. Trained with little to no empathy,kindness, self care, sense of belonging, self love but burdened with sense of responsibility brought up like a robot to "provide" only. Most Nigerian men are robotic minded, unable to connect emotionally without aide yet this men are expected to naturally see their brides as a part of themselves. Wishful thinking if you ask me. And when some men luckily achieve this, the society (Men and Women) mock him. Aside this, they don't readily know what they want and are easily tossed by the society.

We create a society devoid of emotional engagement but want the benefits emotions birth. Compassion and affections brings liberty, a man who lacks these will see his wife as his slave and property, he gets to do with her what he seem best and not what is good for her. We really have a long way to go as a Society.

Nigerian Men make terrible horsebands

Cc Nlfpmod
😡🤬

Oh wow.
Mind blown by this.
Well said/written.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by pressplay411(m): 2:42pm On Apr 19, 2023
Kelechi009:

Whatever you wrote here & also in your initial post completely ignores the fact that Nigeria is highly traditional and those roles which are defined and expected of us in the 80s and are still expected of us today in 2023. We can all summersault 100 times and It won't change anything for both genders. In Nigeria. Do you what is funny? This same type of analog love is what people in Western countries miss & they always cry about how they miss Lagos men & how Lagos men take care of them the most, I suggest you should invest more time in watching British black women podcasts. Watch programmes that explore more of black women outside Nigeria. Go on Instagram, see what women are saying about Lagos men. You'll be shocked.

Nairaland is a bubble dear, big bubble.

Life is all about balance.
Good observation.
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by garriAndsugar: 10:37pm On May 16, 2023
Until the OP meets me her perspective go change
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Bellotelli: 6:35am On May 17, 2023
Persephone1:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Mexican Men all the way ✈️✈️
Soap opera don mess up dis one brain undecided

8 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Dshocker(m): 6:46am On May 17, 2023
Persephone1:

When I type these words, it's not from a place of hate towards men ( I don't hate anybody) It is from careful analysis of marriages to Nigerian Men which mostly lack genuine love, empathy and kindness. Nigerian Marriages are mostly driven by "needs" and "means" to an end. Too systematic and unnatural and the one with the highest bargaining chip gets the most benefit.

Our mothers didn't teach us enough about Men. They didn't know either until they got married, unfortunately they are still learning about Men too. That is why the popular saying "Ile oko ile eko ni" (Your husband house is a school) is usually the soothing balm to unfavourable experiences a wife has with her husband. One question I always ask myself when I hear these words as parting words of advice for young wife is. Does that mean she is getting married into a strange,unknown and possibly unfavourable world? Why represent her husband as an unending course? And will she ever graduate and be relieved of painful lessons?. Ask these women these questions and they will shake their heads in mockery but the truth is, They weren't taught enough about the Men they are getting married to. How would they when they didn't know who they are either. To understand another person there must be a certain level of self awareness you have reached yourself. This way you have enough level of intelligence to be a perfect judge of character. But when a woman believe all she needs to be is a good cook and good konji reliever then all she will seek is a man who has Kitchen and bed.

Men are the worst in this joke of an institution. Configured to believe all they need to posses is Financial ability to provide. The upbringing of the typical Nigerian Man is very very wrong. Trained with little to no empathy,kindness, self care, sense of belonging, self love but burdened with sense of responsibility brought up like a robot to "provide" only. Most Nigerian men are robotic minded, unable to connect emotionally without aide yet this men are expected to naturally see their brides as a part of themselves. Wishful thinking if you ask me. And when some men luckily achieve this, the society (Men and Women) mock him. Aside this, they don't readily know what they want and are easily tossed by the society.

We create a society devoid of emotional engagement but want the benefits emotions birth. Compassion and affections brings liberty, a man who lacks these will see his wife as his slave and property, he gets to do with her what he seem best and not what is good for her. We really have a long way to go as a Society.

Cc Nlfpmod
😡🤬

Sorry to burst your bubble, you are in no position to pick or chose a husband 🤣🤣🤣

Men does the choosing and your changes of getting married to a white guy is slim, because dem no send you.

So that leaves you with no option of marrying a Nigerian guy 🤡🤡🤡

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Madups(m): 6:55am On May 17, 2023
So says a very bittered evening newspaper.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by dbestuncle: 9:48am On May 17, 2023
I have taken time to read your writeup carefully n will suggest the following:
1. No society arrangement and institution of man is perfect n marriage is no exception.
2. You thought about Nigerian men are really low.
3. The saying ile oko, ile eko ni, actually didn't exactly mean what you suggested. This saying is used to depict the fact that the new home will be a school since there is no way that the lessons learnt from a woman's home can be exactly enough for the new home. And yes it is often focussed on the women because she is the one who is expected to be submissive and the man is expected to be the head.
But in reality the both learn because the way a thing is done from the individual family will be different from what is required in the new home.
3. Yes women now work and we have infact seen more understanding in our today's marriage and this means that alot has and keep changing.
4. You single out the Nigerian man as if the iyibo woman doesn't cook for her home or takes care of her kids.
5. What about the women, nothing was wrong abi?
What you did is call the horn effect (piking a small fact and blow it out of proportion)

Persephone1:

Cc Nlfpmod
😡🤬

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 10:33am On May 17, 2023
dbestuncle:
I have taken time to read your writeup carefully n will suggest the following:
1. No society arrangement and institution of man is perfect n marriage is no exception.
2. You thought about Nigerian men are really low.
3. The saying ile oko, ile eko ni, actually didn't exactly mean what you suggested. This saying is used to depict the fact that the new home will be a school since there is no way that the lessons learnt from a woman's home can be exactly enough for the new home. And yes it is often focussed on the women because she is the one who is expected to be submissive and the man is expected to be the head.
But in reality the both learn because the way a thing is done from the individual family will be different from what is required in the new home.
3. Yes women now work and we have infact seen more understanding in our today's marriage and this means that alot has and keep changing.
4. You single out the Nigerian man as if the iyibo woman doesn't cook for her home or takes care of her kids.
5. What about the women, nothing was wrong abi?
What you did is call the horn effect (piking a small fact and blow it out of proportion)

Okay! I will respond to this, other mentions are from narrow-minded lots who can't deal with the fact that every being ( man or woman ) has freedom of choice and desire.

1) You are right, I have attentively analyzed the Nigerian marriage system and I do not like it. I am from the most liberal tribe in Nigeria but I still do not find the "give and take" systematic structure of marriages pleasing enough. This is from a place of personal preference.

2) Lol you are wrong there, that they do not meet my expectations do not mean I think low of them cheesy. There are some same ones but when it comes to relationships most have a lot to learn. Starting with emotional intelligence, did you read a thread where a guy shouted at his suicidal girlfriend and hung up on her because according to him"she didn't say what was wrong with her"? Well, girlfriend ended up killing herself. Now lack of sensitivity and emotions with partners is something common with Nigerian men, it is why a husband would not notice a change in his wife's mood or body until she is admitted to the hospital. I have seen lots of cases and I don't find them pleasing at all.

3) I get your drift. Nevertheless, both couples should learn about each other. On submission and head, I don't have an issue with that as long as the leadership isn't autocratic or dictatorship or the submission isn't subversive.

4) Good, hopefully, this will continue and soon enough all marriages will be enjoyed not endured.

5) In the Western world there's hardly discrimination of roles. Couples understand their weakness and strength and complement one another. They share roles according to ability and willingness, you may never come across gender roles with them. And when there is it comes with different forms of support that ensures none is burdened. But here you see people saying it is the job of a man to provide any which way ( even if he is limited) while a seven-month pregnant wife must take care of the home any which way. A very toxic system if you ask me.

6) Analyze the shortcoming of both genders in marriage and you will realize which gender has the most redemption and restitution to do. I have written it here once, a Nigerian lady has only financial dependency syndrome to deal with if she's to date or marry outside her race while Nigerian men have so much more to correct. If Nigerian women travel more, they will be hot cake out there, because they are very homely and lovely. But Nigerian men are trained to be money bags which in the long run does not meet long-term commitment standards.

Although there are some black sheep most marriages fail when the woman gets tired of enduring in Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 10:41am On May 17, 2023
garriAndsugar:
Until the OP meets me her perspective go change
grin grin grin grin I believe you grin

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by BigDickProblems: 11:59am On May 17, 2023
Persephone1:

Cc Nlfpmod
😡🤬

I didn't read the trash you wrote here since it's coming from a female gender.

The only thing I want to correct you here is that

You are not the one to Marry any Man, it is the Man that will choose to Marry you

That should sink into your fish brain.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 17, 2023
Mentally unstable people just fill this section sha. They read the title and go haywire. grin grin

Calm down, drink water, you will be alright

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by BigDickProblems: 12:05pm On May 17, 2023
Persephone1:
Mentally unstable people just fill this section sha. They read the title and go haywire. grin grin

Calm down, drink water, you will be alright

When you understand why no body will bother to read through your thread, you will understand why they believe nothing meaningful will be found there since it's coming from your gender. Your mental states (female gender) fluctuate most of the time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 17, 2023
BigDickProblems:

When you understand why no body will bother to read through your thread, you will understand why they believe nothing meaningful will be found there since it's coming from your gender. Your mental states (female gender) fluctuate most of the time.
You either suffer from dyslexia or partial blindness. Have I been conversing with myself on the four pages of this thread?

Na your type suitable for marriage true true grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by torqque7(m): 5:36pm On May 17, 2023
Honestly I didn’t even read the trash written there I from the comments I read under it was good I didn’t waste my time to read that trash.

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Atolu01: 6:22pm On Aug 15, 2023
They are a very abusive and unappealing "creation".

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by madscientist88(m): 9:24pm On Aug 15, 2023
Persephone1:

Cc Nlfpmod
😡🤬
have you finished defining what you want for yourself? you totally forgotten that bad eggs litters all over communities in the world,in my opinion you preferr a man who would slave for you ? yet you don't want to slave for him? how just is that? would you call yourself a lioness or s queen?do you know what female lions do for their king?most of you women dont want to accept that men are automated and genetically wired to be dominant ,why wont people just let life be life?men are the positive part of this energy field,dont forget that in a rush,we may be robotic as the creator made us to be but we deserve to be understood too,when you are created to be something its unfair to try to be something else,i have seen women in trouble and all they say often is i wish i have a man or a son,you wont understand that part,my sisters husband would hurt her certain times,this time he did something terrible,when he came to my house he wanted to force her to leave with him and was struggling with her,i heard them then went upstairs, with a single stare from me i could feel chill going down his spine,i told him to leave since she said she wasn't ready to go with him,he stood up without a word and left.why do you think he left? he left because a real man never underestimate another man and he knew i got my defences up,this isone mans language to another man, my intention wasn't to fight him but to let him know he was disrespecting me by what he was doing and he got the message, since then he has been carefull towards my sis. sometimes a dominant force needs to fend off another that's just the way its , therefore you can't just rule out men for being who they are,men are not women and we are trying hard to understand women,there is a man for every woman except if that woman decided to build walls around herself which has blinded her from seeing the man made for her, maybe we shouldn't write what we think our stories should be in life,may life just want us to live so it can make our stories,no one should try to change anyone, sooner or later,you come to realise in this life " its each beauty to her own beast". that kind of man you are looking for isnt on earth, something's are called wifely duties or chores,if you think wifely chores and dutiy is suffering then marriage isnt for you.

5 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2023
Lol people are still getting mad over this thread? grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by FalseProphet1(m): 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2023
Persephone1:
Lol people are still getting mad over this thread? grin grin
😒
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2023
FalseProphet1:

😒
My 101th concubine elect cheesy wink smiley

How have you been? Don't tell me you are disturbed by this masterpiece of mine grin

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by FalseProphet1(m): 9:54pm On Aug 15, 2023
Persephone1:
My 101th concubine elect cheesy wink smiley

How have you been? Don't tell me you are disturbed by this masterpiece of mine grin
I've been busy doing the work of my father. I cannot be disturbed because you're already my 8th wife. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Olaxbolax100: 12:39am On Aug 23, 2023
Omo... I can't believe I read everything on this thread... It's quite insightful... I love the arguments for and against... I also think everything that needed to be said, has been said...

One thing I'd love to add is the fact that by reason of our genetic makeup and environment we find ourselves in, guys have been wired not to be too emotional.
We are basically logical rather than emotional. @persephone1, ur arguments are valid but I also think it falls within the ambit of hasty generalization.

If the tables were turned, how many ladies would be able to continually support their family (wife, kids and other extended family members)... The implication of this massive financial burden itself turns some men into something else. They become less romantic and all but believe me, they (they still care about their women)... For every woman that contributes equally or more to the finances of the family, I'd count 100 men who do same and carry this burden for a lifetime.
I also think it's more about the man you find... Is he someone who is flexible enough to learn and become a better version of himself? Are you as a lady also doing ur bit to alleviate his burden and contribute not just through s*x ( some ladies have nothing else to offer).... That's y a guy can have s*x with a lady he has no affection for even when he has a wife ( Not supporting this in any way). This is because s*x can't tie a man down....

If a man is not financially stable, 99% of the time, he wouldn't get the woman of his dreams. That's nature... A man by nature, is designed to provide for his family, failure to do that is tantamount to being useless and subject to ridicule.... Even the Bible says it -1 Timothy 5:8
But if any provide not for his own
Not only for his wife and children, but for his parents, when grown old, and cannot help themselves:

and specially for those of his own house;
that is, who are of the same household of faith with him; see ( Galatians 6:10 ) , and so the Syriac version renders it, "and especially those who are the children of the house of faith"; for though the tie of nature obliges him to take care of them, yet that of grace makes the obligation still more strong and binding; and he must act both the inhuman and the unchristian part, that does not take care of his pious parents: wherefore it follows,
he hath denied the faith;
the doctrine of faith, though not in words, yet in works; and is to be considered in the same light, and to be dealt with as an apostate from the Christian religion.

And is worse than an infidel
for the very Heathens are taught and directed by the light of nature to take care of their poor and aged parents. The daughter of Cimon gave her ancient father the breast, and suckled him when in prison. Aeneas snatched his aged father out of the burning of Troy, and brought him out of the destruction of that city on his back; yea, these are worse than the brute creatures, and may be truly said to be without natural affections; such should go to the storks and learn of them, of whom it is reported, that the younger ones will feed the old ones, when they cannot feed themselves; and when weary, and not able to fly, will carry them on their backs. The Jews F23 have a rule or canon, which obliged men to take care of their families, which runs thus:

``as a man is bound to provide for his wife, so he is hound to provide for his sons and daughters, the little ones, until they are six years old; and from thenceforward he gives them food till they are grown up, according to the order of the wise men; if he will not, they reprove him, and make him ashamed, and oblige him; yea, if he will not, they publish him in the congregation, and say such an one is cruel, and will not provide for his children; and lo, he is worse than an unclean fowl, which feeds her young.''...

Putting religion aside,
I think communication matters alot... Based on your initial agreement before going into marriage, you guys can decide to have a house-help who can take care of some menial tasks (just that it has become dangerous) and all. If a woman is the one working and providing for the family, the husband should look for a way to do the needful by cooking, cleaning the house and so on (but I can tell you that majority of such marriages won't last as most ladies find it difficult to singlehandedly sustain a family over a prolonged period of time - it's because they are engineered by nature to be like that and not because they are lazy or other things)...

While not putting to disrepute or belittling the duties of both gender, I think a common ground should be found... No man or woman is perfect but the major factor is... Are you flexible enough to adjust and reason towards making the marriage work out?

I've also seen how married women tend to divert all their energy and love towards their children ( I understand and respect the effort put into childbirth) while leaving their husbands in limbo.

This would lead me to the final conclusion... According to the 2nd law of nature - No system is 100% efficient.... Men are not perfect... Women are not perfect... We can't achieve perfection... Nature itself ain't perfect... Your fears and points are valid and I appreciate the fact that you sound and reason differently from some other ladies...
We men can also do better.... I rest my case

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by dontrulee: 12:54am On Aug 23, 2023
I'm sure Nigerian Men sef no wan marry you, so rest. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Olaxbolax100: 1:59am On Aug 23, 2023
dontrulee:
I'm sure Nigerian Men sef no wan marry you, so rest. grin grin
Not true.... She's intelligent yet respectful... I love those features... It's her view and should be respected.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by tit(f): 2:43am On Aug 23, 2023
They are shot, fat and ugly

2 Likes

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Olaxbolax100: 3:30am On Aug 23, 2023
tit:
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by dontrulee: 8:21am On Aug 23, 2023
Olaxbolax100:

Not true.... She's intelligent yet respectful... I love those features... It's her view and should be respected.

Unfortunately, you're a Nigeria man, so you do not qualify grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why I May Not Marry A Nigerian Man (opinion) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 12, 2023
tit:
Mumu, look at the Ape looking being.

I won't be surprised if you are still single, at such an old age. It's best you preserve your egg, for your morning omelette, since they are of no essence.

Broke, bitter thing. angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

To Marry A Lady Who Loves You More Than You Love Her , Is It Okay? / Bride Dances Naira Marley's 'Coming' On Her Aso Ebi Girl (Video) / How Many Persons Have You Dated In Your Entire Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.