Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,805 members, 7,810,098 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? (27328 Views)

Why Do Married Men Suddenly Lose Interest In Their Wives and try to avoid her? / Nigerian Man Celebrates Sallah With His Three Wives And 19 Children (photos) / I Hate My Life, I'll Make Sure My Father Suffers At Old Age. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Tallesty1(m): 5:26pm On Jan 24, 2023
pocohantas:

Lol. I ate amala, but I doubt it is the food.
With the green soup?

It possible that something else, a foreign leave was used in the soup and you probably look at your screen this way grin

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by achimendy(m): 5:48pm On Jan 24, 2023
LadyRosa:

He doesn't have to abandon them, he can still be living with his kids and still be a deadbeat dad.

We know that, but that's not what the writer said.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by pocohantas(f): 6:08pm On Jan 24, 2023
Tallesty1:
With the green soup?

It possible that something else, a foreign leave was used in the soup and you probably look at your screen this way grin

“Hydraulic soup”. Nairalanders are such bad company. Just maybe…

Talk of the devil. I found a black bingo for you.

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by LadyRosa(f): 6:09pm On Jan 24, 2023
achimendy:

We know that, but that's not what the writer said.

The writer asked what is happening in Nigeria homes right?

I answered with my opinion concerning the reasons for it.It shouldn't rattle you at all.

Thanks
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
LadyRosa:

Solid cash flow will only bring bought comfort.
You pay for attention most of the time.
An old wealthy man is at the mercy of those who are ready to get what they want out of him , and then what happens when he has challenging health conditions that makes him immobile?

Happiness comes from within. Sigma men know this.

The earlier people realize that no one gives a Bleep about them the better.

As per challenging health problem, have you heard of setting up a Trust account to manage your health at old age.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Tallesty1(m): 6:23pm On Jan 24, 2023
pocohantas:

LKWKD.

Where did you get this picture?

Looks exactly like Needle, a bingo that someone brought for Rex for crossing. Rex refused grin
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by pocohantas(f): 6:55pm On Jan 24, 2023
Tallesty1:
LKWKD.

Where did you get this picture?

Looks exactly like Needle, a bingo that someone brought for Rex for crossing. Rex refused grin

Lol. Coincidentally I saw it. I thought it was a goat until it turned to look at me. cheesy
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by GloriousGbola: 6:58pm On Jan 24, 2023
pocohantas:

Looks like Ishiloves fav ekuke waiting to be turned into scrumptious 404
😈
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by vince96w2(m): 8:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
Saintmary:

How many people are waiting for men's money nowadays, in the next 50 years women will be leaving houses to their children after dying.

The world is changing, if you can't change oyo is your case.
They world is only Changing on the side of the women abi? Continue...
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by achimendy(m): 8:24pm On Jan 24, 2023
LadyRosa:

The writer asked what is happening in Nigeria homes right?

I answered with my opinion concerning the reasons for it.It shouldn't rattle you at all.

Thanks

It doesn't rattles me at all. My point is that, you're being bias by feeling father's are the only cause of the problem.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Jan 24, 2023
vince96w2:
■ when men were chasing the women as young girls una no know abi?Guys go they hustle una go reject am for rich men..when them dump una and him don make am, una go use him picture go Shiloh..Deceive am with love and wife material stuff .him marry una come say make him no enjoy wetin u enjoy? Baba na lie oo..I will be rich and if I notice my wife and kids doing that I will go and marry another and will everything to her
So, you will marry another woman and finally do what you ought to have done, as a husband and father with your first wife and children, with this new woman? Some of you are preprogrammed fools. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by LadyRosa(f): 9:41pm On Jan 24, 2023
achimendy:

It doesn't rattles me at all. My point is that, you're being bias by feeling father's are the only cause of the problem.

I didn't say fathers, i pointed specifically DEADBEAT Fathers.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Tallesty1(m): 9:41pm On Jan 24, 2023
pocohantas:

Lol. Coincidentally I saw it. I thought it was a goat until it turned to look at me. cheesy
E come pose well grin grin
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by LadyRosa(f): 9:43pm On Jan 24, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

Happiness comes from within. Sigma men know this.

The earlier people realize that no one gives a Bleep about them the better.

As per challenging health problem, have you heard of setting up a Trust account to manage your health at old age.

I'm sure you are talking about wealthy men and bit the ones among the poverty statistics that's on the majority in naija.

Trust fund kor?
Even pension your government never still pay cheesy
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by ehay(f): 11:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Unreasonable response.
[color=#006600][/color]

Not unreasonable....that's how it works for us women. You treat us like shit when were young and expect us to be their for you in our old age. No it does not work that way.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by ehay(f): 11:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
[color=#006600][/color] ok
onumadu:
It is happening because it is the natural course of things in life, and there are bio-social reasons for it.
If there is any FIRM strike against monogamy, this is it.
In my ancestral Igboland, a man married as he aged.
Example, at 20 year old, he married his first wife who may be 15/16 yrs old.
At his 30 birthday, he married another woman... and so on until he gets to about 60-70 yrs old when he married a woman that (in Igbo language we say) "ga ene ya nka" (that would take care of him in old age). Go and see in the Bible where king David did exactly the same thing.
But today, clueless men herd other clueless men into a clueless marriage system that is almost anti-men, only to get discarded and abused in their old age.
This is why I keep advocating for a return to the ancestral Igbo marriage system by the Igbo.
Euro-monogamy comes with things you cannot handle.
When my beloved uncle died alone after raising children but was abandoned in old age, the handwriting on the wall became bright red for us his male relatives.
Argue with yourself if you like! cool

This your story only works if you are rich ..ie have lots of farmlands etci n the ancestral igbo land.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by ehay(f): 11:34pm On Jan 24, 2023
[color=#006600][/color]
Ariketolu:
THIS HAS BEEN BOTH A COMMON CONCERN OF EVERY RESPONSIBLE MAN AS WELL AS A FAMILIAR TOPIC AMONG MEN THROUGH AGES, But unfortunately, it is a lost battle

Not long ago, I stumbled on a discussion in relation to how some women abandon their husbands at advanced ages and pitch their tents with their children under the guise of helping them to nurse their (children's) children. In some other cases, the men have been abandoned at old age by their wives because they felt it was 'pay back time' for unforgivable sins allegedly committed by the old man when he was younger. Such sins don't necessarily have anything to do with infidelity or taking a younger wife, but it's enough if the wife and the children all concluded he was too harsh with (or to) them when the marriage was younger or the children were growing up. They carefully elect to wait until the old man has retired and needs the company of his wife and the affection of the children most before they embark on a revenge mission!

In most, if not all, cases, the man must have worked day and night towards the physical, economic, and educational advancement of the family, most especially the children when they were growing up. Ironically, but for what the children now label as 'high-handedness', most, if not all, of them would have ended up as wayward children and unable to make anything worthwhile out of their lives. But they don't appreciate that!

The most painful part of it is that, the wife it was who used to obtain the children's submission to her 'dictations' by mentioning their Daddy's name each time they tended towards obstinacy! 'Your daddy is coming', 'your daddy will soon come', 'if you don't listen to me, I will report you to your daddy when he comes back', and so on. Expectedly, the children would not like to incur the wrath of their daddy, hence, they will 'maintain'! Where the children refused to listen to the mother and she was constrained to report them to the father, the father's reaction by way of punishment is what is now being used against the man as being too high-handed.

Another reason for the children's resentment towards their father is the mistaken impression that the father never contributed towards their education. While this can be true in some extreme cases where the father is irredeemably irresponsible, the truth is that in most other cases, because the father had to pursue money most of the time, he would give money for school fees and upkeep to the wife to go and settle whilst he goes 'hustling'. These facts are usually unknown to the children and the mother never told them it was their father who provided the money. Such children would later grow up and rebel against the father for his 'irresponsible' behaviours when they were growing up!

It will amount to over-generalisation to conclude that all women and children do this. Far from it! Recently, I was discussing with a former colleague in one of the banks where I previously worked. She told me that she was outside the country with Daddy. What for? One of their children just gave birth and both of them had travelled abroad to 'baby sit'! I think that's how it should be unless the old man elects not to travel!

Even in very extreme cases where the man had been beastly during the 'sinning' period, why should the woman wait until the husband's old age to 'pay him back'? Why not call it a day with the relationship when the man could still have been able to find someone with compatible behavioural patterns?

What Shall Men Do?

In the first place, a man must learn to be responsible and responsive in matrimonial homes! He must be actively involved in the children's affairs! Where some roles have been delegated to the mother, he should let the children be aware!

Second, no father must allow the woman to surreptitiously turn him into a masquerade in the estimation of the children. That you went out and you're returning home should be something that your children are looking forward to. If you continue to allow yourself to be portrayed as the family masquerade, in your old age you will definitely pay for it.

Furthermore, as a father, learn to correct your children in and with love. Let them know the reason a particular course of punishment was administered. Whatever level of punishment to be administered must be commensurate to the act of misdemeanour! Just like the Yorubas would say: 'Abéré ò gbudò sonù, ká lo gbé Ṣàngó síta'! Let the punishment fit the offence!

Finally, fathers must learn to provide for any 'incasity' at old age! In other words, learn not to eat with both hands. If you haven't been doing that before, start saving for the rainy day (old age) today. If your spouse and children decide to be supportive at old age, all well and good, but if it turns out to be otherwise, there will be no regrets. Times are changing fast too! The children also have their own lives to live. If anything comes from them to the parents at old age, fine, otherwise try and be prepared! Whatever you have as savings would eventually go to them upon your inevitable departure anyway. No parent knows the art of raising or bringing up children. Only God does!

This battle of mother and children in relation to men, in most cases, is a lost battle for men. You cannot win it. The most deceptive belief a man can have is to think that he knows everything that goes on under his roof. This is because there's usually a lot of 'Má jé kí Daddy ẹ ó mò tàbí gbó o' in all homes! In other words, 'don't let your daddy know or hear that o'! This usually exists between the mother and the children to the exclusion of the father! They understandably spend more time together than men do, no matter how hard the fathers try! I think it's unconscionable for any woman to 'conspire' with the children to dub her husband a devil after using him as a tool to train the children to achieve greatness! God bless our homes, Amen!

Caleb Arogundade

You said nothing about loving your wife like you love yourself. Even if you do all you wrote and your children watch frequently maltreat your wife, they will have a soft spot for her, and makr her future happiness part of their life goals. The way to your children's heart is by loving their mother.

In old age, you realise that love and care especially from family supercedes money.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by achimendy(m): 11:38pm On Jan 24, 2023
LadyRosa:

I didn't say fathers, i pointed specifically DEADBEAT Fathers.

Ok o.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by ehay(f): 11:58pm On Jan 24, 2023
[color=#006600][/color]
onatisi:
the more reason why you should marry more than one wife , no matter how bad there will be one of the wives who will want you to stay alive and truly love you . that was the wisdom of our forefathers and it really helped them and made life very very easy but the blind adoption of the white man religion and culture has blinded many africans

Loll,this did not work for my dad. They both abandoned him. The Key is being a loving husband to your wife. And let the children see it. The way the will be around you in old age eehh, and even quarrel with their mother because of you.....

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:14am On Jan 25, 2023
LadyRosa:

I'm sure you are talking about wealthy men and bit the ones among the poverty statistics that's on the majority in naija.

Trust fund kor?
Even pension your government never still pay cheesy

At old age make sure you are finanicially indepedent and highly liquid, you will thank me later.

i doubt if you know how the corporae trustee sector operates.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by cococandy(f): 6:02am On Jan 25, 2023
Because women are created to be your servants

Delusional doofus
onumadu:
It is happening because it is the natural course of things in life, and there are bio-social reasons for it.
At his 30 birthday, he married another woman... and so on until he gets to about 60-70 yrs old when he married a woman that (in Igbo language we say) "ga ene ya nka" (that would take care of him in old age). Go and see in the Bible where king David did exactly the same thing.
But today, clueless men herd other clueless men into a clueless marriage system that is almost anti-men, only to get discarded and abused in their old age.
This is why I keep advocating for a return to the ancestral Igbo marriage system by the Igbo.
When my beloved uncle died alone after raising children but was abandoned in old age, the handwriting on the wall became bright red for us his male relatives.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by cococandy(f): 6:04am On Jan 25, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Some of you are preprogrammed fools. undecided
very much so. No common sense

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by GloriousGbola: 6:18am On Jan 25, 2023
onumadu:

You can go back to your ancestral village and follow the ways of your fathers. Leave all that nonsense monogamy, nonsense job, nonsesne Internet. You are already in your 20s get your first wife, your farm tools and start the life of the real man. Leave all this nonsense western rubbish behind

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by LadyRosa(f): 6:42am On Jan 25, 2023
emmanuelewumi:

At old age make sure you are finanicially indepedent and highly liquid, you will thank me later.

i doubt if you know how the corporae trustee sector operates.

I know...
I only pointed out the fact that this is Nigeria, it's poverty capital of the world.How many 40 years old have life insurances? Or even a house?
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:36am On Jan 25, 2023
LadyRosa:

I know...
I only pointed out the fact that this is Nigeria, it's poverty capital of the world.How many 40 years old have life insurances? Or even a house?

Life insurance is for the middle class and poor, the Koko is to build a substantial passive income that is more than your active income.

Active income involves your time, presence and you must continue to work in order to get that income eg salary, trading profits etc. The money stops when you are old, sick and dead.

Passive income does not require your presence, time, effort etc. You do it once and it will continue to spin cash, does not matter if one is sick, old, death etc. Infact the older one is the more cash it generates eg rent, dividends, coupons, interests, royalties etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by edoairways: 8:04am On Jan 25, 2023
Jeon:

He asked a general question.
And out of 100 men, how many can be faithful to their family?.
His point was generalistic hence leading to an assumption that all men are unfaithful to their families. When you or him make a statement, there must be researchable evidence to support claims instead of perception or feelings
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Jeon(f): 9:09am On Jan 25, 2023
edoairways:

His point was generalistic hence leading to an assumption that all men are unfaithful to their families. When you or him make a statement, There must be researchable evidence to support claims instead of perception or feelings

I can't argue please.
And we have strong evidence without involving feelings or whatever because this is Earth.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Saintmary(f): 11:31am On Jan 25, 2023
vince96w2:
They world is only Changing on the side of the women abi? Continue...

The world is changing for everyone.

However, those who have been enduring discomfort will have the loudest voices asking for change of the old order, in this case it's women.

I hope you understand.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by vince96w2(m): 11:56am On Jan 25, 2023
Saintmary:

The world is changing for everyone.

However, those who have been enduring discomfort will have the loudest voices asking for change of the old order, in this case it's women.

I hope you understand.
certain things don't change sister..
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Saintmary(f): 2:33pm On Jan 25, 2023
vince96w2:
certain things don't change sister..

If you say so
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by edoairways: 4:18am On Feb 11, 2023
Jeon:

I can't argue please.
And we have strong evidence without involving feelings or whatever because this is Earth.
Evidence not strong enough because it wasn't detailed. To begin with no population and sample of study

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Should I Get Married Or Buy A Range Rover / 49-Year-old Man Finally Becomes A Father After Suffering So Much Tragedies.Photo / I Want My Husband To Be Impotent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.