Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? (27373 Views)

Why Do Married Men Suddenly Lose Interest In Their Wives and try to avoid her? / Nigerian Man Celebrates Sallah With His Three Wives And 19 Children (photos) / I Hate My Life, I'll Make Sure My Father Suffers At Old Age. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by flourishing247: 8:44am On Jan 24, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Evil women? You just went on about how the man was evil to you. Now it is the woman that is evil instead? LOL... please stop! undecided

I said both were evil to me. You asked if I'm sure of what I said earlier. I told you I was a victim of their wickedness. Your point was that he might have been living a double life. Go through what I posted abeg.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Kobojunkie: 8:46am On Jan 24, 2023
flourishing247:
I said both were evil to me. You asked if I'm sure of what I said earlier. I told you I was a victim of their wickedness. Your point was that he might have been living a double life. Go through what I posted abeg.
What I instead is that you cannot judge a person's family life by what you see from the outside. It is akin to judging a family's happiness by browsing their Facebook pages. He and his wife may connive to do evil against you outside does not mean they have a strong relationship behind closed doors. undecided
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by flourishing247: 8:50am On Jan 24, 2023
Kobojunkie:
What I instead is that you cannot judge a person's family life by what you see from the outside. It is akin to judging a family's happiness by browsing their Facebook pages. undecided

So you really think I'm speaking from the outside?🤣🤣. It is a sad situation at this point cos the whole family don't have peace. The man is alone, the woman and her children are on the other side. This is karma at play. Make dem stew in it. If the man had put a stop to all the crazy things his wife did, maybe things would have been different today. He supported everything. Both ganged up and made life miserable for a lot of people. Make I no talk too much abeg.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Kobojunkie: 8:59am On Jan 24, 2023
flourishing247:
So you really think I'm speaking from the outside?🤣🤣. It is a sad situation at this point cos the whole family don't have peace. The man is alone, the woman and her children are on the other side. This is karma at play. Make dem stew in it. If the man had put a stop to all the crazy things his wife did, maybe things would have been different today. He supported everything. Both ganged up and made life miserable for a lot of people. Make I no talk too much abeg.
It doesn't matter how they dealt with outsiders as evil men and women, who are known to be evil to outsiders, can still have tight family relationships. undecided
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by ejimatic: 9:00am On Jan 24, 2023
IamMobisola:

If all your family members abandon you when you become old, then you have always been the problem. You are just reaping it in your old age
This is serious!
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by ejimatic: 9:01am On Jan 24, 2023
Okudiover:

Men should get ready for old age. I had uncles who died this way but when you hear how the took care of their families sending them on vacations abroad when the money was there you will start to wonder. If you invest for your old age the tendency that they would abandon you will reduce.

A situation like this bothers me a lot![sup][/sup]
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by esiri4jesu(m): 9:04am On Jan 24, 2023
Men love your wife and your old age will be blissful. Mothers occupy a special place in the heart of children, so when you love their mother, they will love you.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by okomile(f): 9:12am On Jan 24, 2023
cocolacec:

You are a man.

I am a grandmother
Proud to be a female
grin

Those who know me, knows me wella grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by LadyRosa(f): 9:12am On Jan 24, 2023
Dearlord:

... 😂 Are you threatening us with old age ?
Lol
No ooo
Make una try dey body gum una pikin.
Children never forgets.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by LadyRosa(f): 9:12am On Jan 24, 2023
komzy589:

Big lie. Very big one! All the stories you mentioned are made up and never happened. A 90year old rich man will find any companion he wants.
Ok.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by okomile(f): 9:13am On Jan 24, 2023
komzy589:

You go wait tire! You’re a toxic wife and there’s nothing you can do to that man.

grin grin
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by LadyRosa(f): 9:15am On Jan 24, 2023
vince96w2:
They don't know how to spend the money they made na...What happens to adventures, traveling to see the world?..Well me am used to loneliness Sha..I was an only child and do stuff alone..have little or no friends..If you make money travel round the world..No be Nigerian girls alone dey this world

And you think they don't?!
Many of them live abroad for so many years before relocating to naija, some divorce long time before remarry or come in as single fathers.

For those who remarry, they seem lucky until they are dead and the kids begin to drag properties with new wife if the father is rich.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by ejimatic: 9:16am On Jan 24, 2023
grandstar:
ejimatic

If they followed Bible principles when raising their kids and dealing with the wife, things will not generate to such an awful extent.

You reap what you sow.

Parents should be close to their children when they are growing. Fathers should also set examples for their children. Men should also love their wives and be faithful. Wives must also love their husband's and have deep respect for him.

I came from a polygamous home. My dad liked women. However, he ensured all his kids were close.

He was also very generous to people and many of his children developed that same quality

He wasn't abandoned when he was old.

When he was in his 80s with dementia, our first born brought him to London for a 2 months visit. I accompanied with my half sister. We came back 2 days before the British lock down that commenced on the 23rd of March or we would have been stuck there. Covid isn't safe for the elderly.

My dad is gone now. Though he did not leave a will, there are no fights amongst us.

True
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by flourishing247: 9:24am On Jan 24, 2023
Kobojunkie:
It doesn't matter how they dealt with outsiders as evil men and women, who are known to be evil to outsiders, can still have tight family relationships. undecided

Not for long. Things will definitely fall apart when one person gets tired. Age does wonders to the mind/ body and conscience.
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Chrisslim(m): 9:26am On Jan 24, 2023
Choilila:
Because Men abandoned women during their youthful days chasing girls in the name of sidechicks.
So it's the responsibility of the chicks to look after the Men when their old age rocks.

Vawulence respond
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Solocoin: 9:28am On Jan 24, 2023
This thing only Happens to those men who didn't have a relationship with their wife and children. Alot of men don't plan or think about this stage in their life.
They will run after many women outside and spent money on them and when old age or sickness set in they now go back to house. Now who do they expect to take care of them? The people he abandoned during the good time or those he spent on them?

There's no man that have a relationship with his family that the children will abandoned or the wife will want him death. You'll see they will always be around him and look for a Doctor to treat him. But when you abandoned your family also make a plan for those who will take care of you at old age.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by AyeMoJuba: 9:31am On Jan 24, 2023
Kobojunkie:
How can you force a human being to bond with someone who barely ever gave him/her attention? We, adults, are like kids in that we gravitate toward those who give us our time and attention more than we do those who don't. So before you blame those kids, find out the truth about the relationship that existed, assuming one did —beyond the typical sperm-donor-offspring relationship — that existed between them before they were supposedly abandoned. undecided

This one seems to have forgotten that the dad's time were used working his ass off to put food on the family's table. After all his toil, he's accused of not giving enough attention.
If you are a man, same faith awaits you
It's either you marry two wives or save enough for your old age.
If you stay at home too much, women will lose respect for you, if you maintain distance, they accuse you of lack of attention

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Kobojunkie: 9:33am On Jan 24, 2023
flourishing247:
Not for long. Things will definitely fall apart when one person gets tired. Age does wonders to the mind/ body and conscience.
LOL... look through history and you will find examples of wicked men who had families who stood with them until the end. undecided
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Killermamba: 9:41am On Jan 24, 2023
ejimatic:
It has been observed that many more crises are taking place in families nowadays. One of them is our focus here.

Many wives and children now abandon their husbands after the men retire. Some turn children against their fathers while some wives plan to kill their husbands so as to inherit their husband properties.

Why is it that wives want their husbands dead so as to inherit them? Why is it that when husbands are sicks WIves always try to know what is in the wills of their husbands? Why do wives abandon their husbands at the old age and pack to another apartment? Why do wives want to be in control of their husbands at the old age! Why do families crack when the old age is about to set in .

A man was abandoned by his wives and children so much so that he was crying for help in his apartment. When thean died the children slaughtered cows and painted the house.What do you think about this development? What is happening in the families now?

The question is why didn't joke silver and her children leave olu Jacob when he became sick? If you are a good husband and a good father it won't happen to you, unless you are a dictator.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by AyeMoJuba: 9:42am On Jan 24, 2023
Grandmother with this your monicker?
I pity the lives of those kids you are bringing up

okomile:

I am a grandmother
Proud to be a female
grin

Those who know me, knows me wella grin
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Kobojunkie: 9:42am On Jan 24, 2023
AyeMoJuba:
■ This one seems to have forgotten that the dad's time were used working his ass off to put food on the family's table. After all his toil, he's accused of not giving enough attention.
■ If you are a man, same faith awaits you
It's either you marry two wives or save enough for your old age. If you stay at home too much, women will lose respect for you, if you maintain distance, they accuse you of lack of attention
1. They say two heads are better than one, do you know why? Because two can share the responsibilities that would otherwise go to one person freeing time for both to engage in other possibly more meaningful endeavors. A man who chooses to shoulder the burdens alone in marriage is no different from a fool in marriage. undecided

2. If not loosing women respect is more important to you than having time for your own children, the consequences of your choice will always come to you in the end. There is no escaping that. Men who understand marriage as a partnership meant to benefit them are able to share their responsibilities with their spouse and at the same time make time for their children and their health. Such men live longer and enjoy their children in their old age unlike men who see marriage as some sort of godhood platform. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by delishpot: 9:49am On Jan 24, 2023
onumadu:
It is happening because it is the natural course of things in life, and there are bio-social reasons for it.
If there is any FIRM strike against monogamy, this is it.
In my ancestral Igboland, a man married as he aged.
Example, at 20 year old, he married his first wife who may be 15/16 yrs old.
At his 30 birthday, he married another woman... and so on until he gets to about 60-70 yrs old when he married a woman that (in Igbo language we say) "ga ene ya nka" (that would take care of him in old age). Go and see in the Bible where king David did exactly the same thing.
But today, clueless men herd other clueless men into a clueless marriage system that is almost anti-men, only to get discarded and abused in their old age.
This is why I keep advocating for a return to the ancestral Igbo marriage system by the Igbo.
Euro-monogamy comes with things you cannot handle.
When my beloved uncle died alone after raising children but was abandoned in old age, the handwriting on the wall became bright red for us his male relatives.
Argue with yourself if you like! cool

Only a pauper or an arse licker or someone who wants to use his daughter as a thank you gift will give you his daughter to marry at quater to enter grave. Women are human being too. If you want a nurse go look for a qualified one.
That bible you quote has a lot of things that if you do them today you will be called evil and u godly. So that it was done in the bible foesnt mean it must be acceptable today.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by onatisi(m): 9:51am On Jan 24, 2023
the more reason why you should marry more than one wife , no matter how bad there will be one of the wives who will want you to stay alive and truly love you . that was the wisdom of our forefathers and it really helped them and made life very very easy but the blind adoption of the white man religion and culture has blinded many africans

ejimatic:
It has been observed that many more crises are taking place in families nowadays. One of them is our focus here.

Many wives and children now abandon their husbands after the men retire. Some turn children against their fathers while some wives plan to kill their husbands so as to inherit their husband properties.

Why is it that wives want their husbands dead so as to inherit them? Why is it that when husbands are sicks WIves always try to know what is in the wills of their husbands? Why do wives abandon their husbands at the old age and pack to another apartment? Why do wives want to be in control of their husbands at the old age! Why do families crack when the old age is about to set in .

A man was abandoned by his wives and children so much so that he was crying for help in his apartment. When thean died the children slaughtered cows and painted the house.What do you think about this development? What is happening in the families now?
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by edoairways: 9:54am On Jan 24, 2023
Choilila:
Because Men abandoned women during their youthful days chasing girls in the name of sidechicks.
So it's the responsibility of the chicks to look after the Men when their old age rocks.
Because some Men abandoned women during their youthful days. Your point is generalistic in nature as there are still some reasonable fathers out there
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by IMASTEX: 10:00am On Jan 24, 2023
yomi007k:

For kids to abandon fathers is unfair but very common.
I was telling one dude the same thing but he just kept arguing blindly.
It has fast become a trend, and it shouldn't be a matter of whether or not it is unfair but the question should be centered on "why"?
I often say that it takes more than just finance to raise a child. There is emotional needs which the fathers often abandon fully to the mothers to provide for the children. A big mistake, sadly it is emotion that bounds kids more than finances. Secondly, the women become rebellious when the kids have grown to take care of themselves financially. The women come at the husbands as a revenge for what he was doing as an actor. She will definitely wins because she has been bounding with the kids while the man was absent & doing actor out there. I know of a recent case, the husband had a voice note between his wife & her pastor in a s.e.xual conversation, nu.de images. Yet the children wouldn't allow the man to react, with the condition that their mother goes no where, instead he would be sent out of the house. Or they leave with their mother. Note that the children are already financially okay. And the man had really never been attached to the children, so how will he sit them down to explain the wrong of their mother to them with evidence?!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Lacash: 10:06am On Jan 24, 2023
Choilila:
And the Birds of the same feathers been liking and sharing this nonsense comment…Awon Oluku 😁
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Isabi4lov: 10:07am On Jan 24, 2023
grin grin you reap what you sow

Instead of investing in yourself and building the future with your family , you're busy using your money and strength to chase women undecided undecided , thank God say my papa no be womanizer .

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by descarado: 10:09am On Jan 24, 2023
Interesting read from both sides
Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by Gospel2Day: 10:13am On Jan 24, 2023
onumadu:
It is happening because it is the natural course of things in life, and there are bio-social reasons for it.
If there is any FIRM strike against monogamy, this is it.
In my ancestral Igboland, a man married as he aged.
Example, at 20 year old, he married his first wife who may be 15/16 yrs old.
At his 30 birthday, he married another woman... and so on until he gets to about 60-70 yrs old when he married a woman that (in Igbo language we say) "ga ene ya nka" (that would take care of him in old age). Go and see in the Bible where king David did exactly the same thing.
But today, clueless men herd other clueless men into a clueless marriage system that is almost anti-men, only to get discarded and abused in their old age.
This is why I keep advocating for a return to the ancestral Igbo marriage system by the Igbo.
Euro-monogamy comes with things you cannot handle.
When my beloved uncle died alone after raising children but was abandoned in old age, the handwriting on the wall became bright red for us his male relatives.
Argue with yourself if you like! cool

You're very wrong.
Polygamy is NOT the solution to this problem.
So, you want a young lady to marry a 70 years old man?
What men need at old age is attentive maid or caregiver that is paid to look after them.
If the wife too is old and frail, should she still be expected to be taking care of him when she herself needs care?
What I would advise ageing men and women is to make financial provisions for their old age.
Plan to employ the service of competent caregiver to cook, wash, look after you and clean the house.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by IMASTEX: 10:17am On Jan 24, 2023
onumadu:

Solution is simple: Never exhaust your FINANCIAL resources so you can buy care for yourself in old age.
People love money, whether wife, kids, relations, job-seekers, EVERYONE.
Life is not sentimental and no one is perfect.
Going by the reality, Bill Gate is considered a wealthy man. Yet his wife divorced him for a teacher. If you think finance bounds you to the children more that emotional needs. Then you are not stating the obvious, especially with kids that are now financially independent. Only the greedy and lazy ones would continue to play the game for the money and not the love, while the sane ones would avoid anything toxic for their peace of mind. And don't care about your financial status. Thus, there need to be a balance to have full love and control of ones children as a man, i.e. love them all including their mother by providing and physically involved in their lives.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by IMASTEX: 10:21am On Jan 24, 2023
Meandmycrew:
I would advise such men to marry a young girl while aging so she can atleast take care of him wen he is weak and unable to move around.
He must be financially comfortable, the love and care would only be possible with the quantity of his cash. He should be ready to share her in most cases. And accept some ru.de behaviors those are what are likely involved.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Men Abandoned By Their Wives and Children At The Old Age? by okomile(f): 10:27am On Jan 24, 2023
AyeMoJuba:
Grandmother with this your monicker?
I pity the lives of those kids you are bringing up

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Should I Be Concerned About Marrying A 39yrs Old Woman? / Oya Dab: See Grandma In Action / Some Ways To Make Yourself Happy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.