Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,229 members, 7,867,597 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:18 PM

Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes (23750 Views)

The Reality Of Scarcity Of Naira Notes: How Are You Coping? / Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New / E-Naira: Company Sues CBN For Trademark Infringement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Doctee: 9:14pm On Jan 27, 2023
Mentioning politicians that can transfer monies to those they want to buy votes from is still baffling me
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Tonytonex(m): 9:16pm On Jan 27, 2023
Mustiboy:
There’s no way the deadline wouldn’t be extended.

The old notes are still very much in circulation, and there’s no way banks will take them all in 4 days.
why won't they take all the money? So you mean if I want to do deposit my money, they will refused to collect?
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by greatiyk4u(m): 9:19pm On Jan 27, 2023
millionboi2:
nonsense,it doesn't make any sense.....who told you those politicians don't have much of the new note

Sensible things don't make sense to you
If they have much of it, why the outburst from them? You think they care about the masses?

This requires deep thinking and cognitive understanding of macroeconomic issues
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by TheNiceGuy(m): 9:24pm On Jan 27, 2023
Delusional grandeur
mcfestgee:

think it's high time we stop attacking ourselves in the south. The north have come together to give the mandate to Atiku. Bubu is dancing towards this direction.

This they will actualize through the greediness of the south politicians.

The only way to ensure power does not shift to the north is that the two frontrunners in the south is to agree to step down for each other. North alone cannot produce the president, they need the cooperation of a region in the south which Tinubu help them to achieve in 2015.

I will suggest Tinubu swallow some pride, step down for Obi because the northerners around him don't want him, they just want to eat his money. Also, Tinubu has so much baggage that does not appeal to youth and the elighteened Nigerians that formed the bulk of this year's election.

Once again, the North at last, last whether in PDP or APC Will rally round Atiku. That is why you hear APC decamping to PDP every day in the North.

Let South West stop insulting south East and let South East stop insulting south west.

I come in peace.

1 Like

Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Irupetepete: 9:29pm On Jan 27, 2023
Madridstar:
Bandits and kidnappers are shocked by the happenings in Nigeria this period, they don go mute grin
walahi kidnapping Don reduce

2 Likes

Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Komu1048(m): 9:35pm On Jan 27, 2023
Dshocker:
The central bank has made it available for commercial banks, but they seem to be issuing it to politicians mostly.

Most commercial banks r nothing but instrument of oppression to the populace

1 Like

Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by BreconHills(m): 9:38pm On Jan 27, 2023
malali:

1-The American currency cannot be easily manipulated like that.....their highest security system protects 2 things...The president and the U.S Dollar.

2-IF you do not know that there are people in Nigeria printing counterfeit Naira into the system, then you are just being naive.

[b]I am sorry, this is speculation.

3-The government cannot increase the amount of dollars just like that (its easier for them to increase or decrease naira, thats the currency they can control) Our government is taking on debts and depleting foreign reserve to get USD.Even they dont have dollars....Any dollar anywhere in the world has to be justified (where is it coming from and where is it going to)

The Nigerian government has $39.2bn dollars in its reserves. This is money that belongs to Nigeria. If it unloads $5bn unto the market, with narrow money supply, the dollar rate will crash.

4-Imagine a syndicate printing 200 million Naira everyday, that might be what Nigeria is dealing with.....There are a lot of people on social media flaunting wealth without any known source of business or job.....Most likely they are counterfeiting currency.

If anyone is printing naira it is the CBN through ways and means. There is no one who can print the Naira at such volumes as to impact broad or narrow money supply. Its simply impossible.

Open your eyes, there is a lot going on in Nigeria, Don't forget Naira is printed in NSPMC Jos, by human beings locally.
The crooks are ahead of the government, the government has to take drastic moves....

The different quarters complaining now are people with 500 million naira ay home and they can take it to the bank.....If you observe a lot of real estate prices have crashed since the government announced new currency.....criminals are trying to launder cash.

There is oversupply in the luxury homes market e.g 60m plus. Undeveloped land will fall for the same reason. In a country where only 400k people have $10k or equivalent in their account - who is going to take up such houses. There is no oversupply and no rents or real estate collapse in flats, single br self contained or professional housing.

If the government wants to fix it even better, there should be 1 more sudden currency change within 5 years.
[/b]

Currency change is gimmicks to hide currency printing and complete fiscal indiscipline by the CBN. It has no value at all on Nigeruas inflation. When money supply contracts it should lower inflation - this is not the case because most of our inflation is imported. If the CBN allows free and unrestricted transfer of dollars brought into the country, imported inflation will fall.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Lovenorth: 9:53pm On Jan 27, 2023
Bandits are very angry about the new naira notes grin
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Zico777(m): 10:13pm On Jan 27, 2023
leisuretym:

That’s the truth Nau, same way the same government fixed official dollar exchange rate that chased investors away, selling cheap dollars to themselves to reseller in the black market , all these foolish experiments is what crashed the Naira, they banned foreign rice and opened borders to herdsmen to chase farmers away from the farms , same banned foreign rice is everywhere in the market selling at expensive rates , I will not suffer what I don’t know because of one quack economist experiment.

Truth is I'm so unshaken about the so-called 31st deadline as I still have the old notes at hand.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by dchamp234(m): 10:15pm On Jan 27, 2023
malali:
THE CURRENCY HOARDERS ARE FINALLY BRINGING OUT THE MONEY......

THERE ARE VAULTS BIGGER THAN CBN IN KANO AND LAGOS.....

NIGERIA'S REAL ECONOMY IS IN THE HANDS OF BLACKMARKET CURRENCY SPECULATORS......

THERE IS NO WHERE IN THE WORLD WITH SO MUCH MONEY OUTSIDE THE BANKING SYSTEM........
And a lot of goats are here saying shiit, they don't understand the headline, if you deposit 50k, you can't get 50k back in return, you will be given maybe 5 to 10k. That the only way to make the system work at the moment, do your rest transactions on transfer. Imagine if I deposit 50m naira old notes and get 50m new notes, these politicians and kidnappers will go with vans to exchange money. In my opinion I think we're in safe hands with meffy.

1 Like

Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by tonyshine01: 10:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
Mustiboy:
There’s no way the deadline wouldn’t be extended.

The old notes are still very much in circulation, and there’s no way banks will take them all in 4 days.

Says the CBN Governor.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Okpachala: 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2023
The motive behind the redesigning of our currency is to stop vote buying and is a good move that should be applauded by everyone of us
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by RichAbujaGuy: 10:44pm On Jan 27, 2023
Both may be guilty of hording and saving the new notes for the highest price tags. A month or two ago I recall a thread about a large stack the new money turning up at a party for sale or to show off. The person must have had insider connections.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by ayanbadejo68166: 10:52pm On Jan 27, 2023
We like it like that.We like it like that....
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by olaeffect(m): 11:50pm On Jan 27, 2023
Millz404:
CBN is making it scarce on purpose, what is the point of changing the old notes when you are just going to flood everywhere with the new ones.

Get new notes enough for petty transactions, anybody that wants above 1k from your hand, do transfer.

Simple.
I wonder why CBN is not bold enough to state this.
Instead of lying against innocent banks.

I also strongly believe that CBN should cease this time and situation to encourage the use of E-naira for transactions without any charges at all.
In fact they should even give users some incentives.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by emmyN(m): 11:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
drololaaof:

The DM Banks allegation against CBN is coming too late ,foul.
For over a month no ATM is dispensing new notes as alleged by them . If they have been loading the machine as alleged the scarcity would have been reduced.
Both the CBN and DMB are not telling us the truth

Honestly I think the DMBs are the chief culprit here. They tried to sabotage the CBN policy and expected an extension to the deadline. Suddenly when it's few days to go they now have new currency to disburse.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by malali: 11:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
BreconHills:

Currency change is gimmicks to hide currency printing and complete fiscal indiscipline by the CBN. It has no value at all on Nigeruas inflation. When money supply contracts it should lower inflation - this is not the case because most of our inflation is imported. If the CBN allows free and unrestricted transfer of dollars brought into the country, imported inflation will fall.

You make a lot of valid points:

1-Talking about releasing foreign reserve into the economy....That wouldn't crash the dollars trust me, there is a lot of unaccounted for naira in Nigeria system.I have attached a table showing remittances to Nigeria from abroad every year thats in billion of dollars. Thats enough to keep the naira boosted. The only way we can justify the low N.aira value is counterfeit or printing money straight from CBN and storing it in warehouses then changing them to dollars on the black market.
Trust me, i dont know you....but money is being printed without fiscal accountability either by the government or counterfeiters.
If the government cannot control and account for the cash in the system, no amount of salary increases or jobs will provide relief to the ordinary citizens .

Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Bebigiby: 12:47am On Jan 28, 2023
I've warned Nigerians severally on this forum that Emefiele's plan is to destroy Nigeria's economy and cash monetary system..... The last 8 years is a testament to the true motive of those running this evil government. It is indeed sad that Nigerians are left at the mercy of Buhari, Emefiele and the evil party called APC....

I still pity those jubilating and praising the evil CBN governor for the untold hardship unleashed on Nigerians over the naira redesign and cashless policy, it is only a matter of time you all will face the consequences when all is said and done.... In saner climes, public officials like Emefiele who was exposed to be funding terrorism (https://saharareporters.com/2023/01/18/exclusive-how-investigation-secret-police-dss-linked-nigerian-central-bank-governor), desecrated his office by meddling in politics (https://punchng.com/apc-chairman-confirms-emefieles-membership-says-cbn-gov-registered-feb-2021/) turning a sensitive institution like the CBN into a political theatre will be jailed and made to vomit the funds he embezzled (https://saharareporters.com/2022/12/14/how-nigerias-central-bank-governor-emefiele-diverted-n89trillion-stamp-duty-fund-private)

Until Nigerians unit and take back this country from evil leaders, the situation we are facing today may not get better.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Illegal1(m): 12:54am On Jan 28, 2023
K
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by dominic17: 4:54am On Jan 28, 2023
Cashless economy does not need too much cash in circulation. Deposit your cash and make payments through electronics means you only need little cash for petty transactions.
Millz404:
CBN is making it scarce on purpose, what is the point of changing the old notes when you are just going to flood everywhere with the new ones.

Get new notes enough for petty transactions, anybody that wants above 1k from your hand, do transfer.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Nolevel666: 7:38am On Jan 28, 2023
greatiyk4u:
CBN is hoarding it on purpose ,release large chunk before deadline and see politicians take advantage and change it with their stashed loot

From Tuesday, banks will start receiving enough of the new currency from CBN since by then, the old ones are useless

It makes enough of economic and security cum strategic sense.

Well said!!

The problem now is if Nigerians will even care to stop using the old currency even if the bank no longer accepts it
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by rhames(m): 7:42am On Jan 28, 2023
nlfpmod:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/amp/news/article/bank-operators-tackle-cbn-on-alleged-hoarding-of-new-notes/

Picture of CEOs of commercial banks meeting with the house ad hoc committee on Banking and Other financial issues on Thursday in Abuja.

For a better understanding of what these gang of Armed robbers are hurting our economy, please read this book.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Confessions-Economic-Hit-Man/dp/1626566747/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3GLTAO0HVNEP2&keywords=the+memoirs+of+an+economic+hitman&qid=1674887889&sprefix=the+memoirs+of+an+economic+gitman%2Caps%2C401&sr=8-1
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Solababa91(m): 9:03am On Jan 28, 2023
I support the CBN's steps to control.money in circulation. Intimating those crooks in the national assembly would frustrate the exercise as it would affect their sinister move to have enough cash to buy votes. Even though I have not been in support of CBN's hitherto policies but this one I'm in full support of it. Na two 50 naira note I get as for hand as I dey type so. CBN should print more of lower old currencies like 5,10,20,50 and 100 naira notes.
How would most of the cash in circulation be in custody of few rich people in a population of over 200 million? Who don't even spend them to boost the economy rather they keep them in vaults, tanks, and bedroom, it's sheer wickedness.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Solababa91(m): 9:11am On Jan 28, 2023
Your head dey there, that they were not able to exchange their stashed loot is a reason why they've been on Emefiele's neck not because they have the love of masses at heart. If they truly love the masses which we all know they don't, they would have used same energy on petrol, diesel, kerosene, gas and all other prices of goods that have skyrocketed
greatiyk4u:
CBN is hoarding it on purpose ,release large chunk before deadline and see politicians take advantage and change it with their stashed loot

From Tuesday, banks will start receiving enough of the new currency from CBN since by then, the old ones are useless

It makes enough of economic and security cum strategic sense.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Solababa91(m): 9:18am On Jan 28, 2023
No mind them petrol, diesel, kerosene, gas, and other commodities is on the high, them no care, na when these one bite them hard now then they take villagers take cover face, may all their looted cash rot in hell.
OkodiDenzel:
All of a sudden Nigeria's lawmakers concerned about those in remote places as reasons for an extension of the deadline as if they really have cared before.
Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Solababa91(m): 9:27am On Jan 28, 2023
When Diesel, gas, and other food stuffs price skyrocketed it was not targeted towards a particular candidate. In all of these the said Presidential candidate whose party is in power wasn't affected, now as the recent development is just some days to election suddenly it is targeted towards him, so whose interest is he fighting for? Self or citizens?. The fact that this development will handicap ANY politician whose aim is to buy people's conscience who they have weaponize with poverty gives me ecstasy.

If the said candidate or you believe those you listed are the forces behind the recent development, they should have put their interest into consideration rather than present a muslim-muslim ticket, it shows the party or the actor(s) involved is not an all-inclusive entity.
And for the tribal game you're playing, it has never and will never help Nigeria, What has the north gained from Buhari as a northerner rather than increase in slaughtering and kidnapping for killing and rasom, harsh economic policies taking its toll on all Nigerians (north inclusive), what did Yoruba gained specifically when Obasanjo was in power? Please quit all these tribal yo-yo, competence should override tribal or geographical nomenclature.
olatuns2017:

Omo Yoruba this is politics

You must understand it

Emefele is very bitter because he also wants to be president!

The other saboteur inside is

Osibanjo (Esu pasto) who was living in his father house at Obanikoro Bustop when TINUBU sent for him to come and become commissioner)

Boss Mustapha is also very bitter and some key people in Govt

PDP has started destroying train rails (make APC bad)

Alot of attrocities will happen before elections

Asiwaju is the target

Protect South West

Ibos too are planning their riot if INEC announce Asiwaju

Be warned and vigilant

Never allow them for no reason

There must be peace in Yoruba land

Little infrastructure we have must not be destroyed again

Ire oo

Re: Banks Blame CBN For Scarcity Of Naira Notes by Bfly: 4:25pm On Jan 28, 2023
All those guys our leaders lick their asses will be laffing at dem now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Traders Reject New Naira Notes In Niger / I Want To Arrest My Father For Selling My Palm Oil / How Much Did You Exchange The Pound For Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.