Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,033 members, 7,828,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? (26317 Views)

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / How Airtel Is Winning The Battle For Supremacy In Nigeria’s Internet Market / Clean Iphone � 6s Available For Pick Up - Phone/internet Market - Nai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:55am On Feb 02, 2023
ModCaller:
You're comparing different categories of Internet service providers.

MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, etc are mobile internet service providers.

Starlink is a broadband internet service provider. You can't use starlink with your phone except through WiFi. The equipment are not portable. Only good for home and office use. The thing comes with satellite dish o.

They are completely different niches. MTN, GLO, Airtel, etc will ALWAYS have their place.
If you own a Starlink device at home or office your data budget for your mobile device will be substantially lower than previously and that will hit the mobile isps.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:58am On Feb 02, 2023
rman:

You are the only one that understands the difference in market niches.

Peeps are commenting as if they will be carrying the satellite around. MTN an co are predominantly playing in the mobile space. And the larger percentage of internet access is on mobiles.

See, the folks who consume most of the data provided by the mobile isps can afford starlink and will shift to musk. Banks et al. The mobile isps will feel the tug .
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by qtx(m): 9:02am On Feb 02, 2023
kishimi8:
have you attempted buying the service from any of the numerous providers running their services on these cables or are you talking based on hearsay , ?

All those cables are in use , as a matter of fact you can drop mtn/airtel/legend / phase 3 etc fibre cheaper than starlink and at 30k to less than 30k monthly for unlimited at 20mbps

Dont get me wrong, they may be working but how many locations is the point. Read my message i said few locations in lagos, abuja. Within Lagos for instance, how many locations on the mainland can you boast of fibre connectivity? When you ask them for site survey they will finish and tell you we cant reach here we cant reach there. These thing is mostly within the island and there are majority of the businesses outside the island that needs the service. That is my point.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Parachoko: 9:03am On Feb 02, 2023
LordReed:

Not really. It's a fixed access device, it doesn't compete with mobile Internet access. It might affect their corporate sales though but Starlink's capital outset is pretty high comparatively. Also you can't repair any of the hardware components if they get damaged and given the nature of our storms likelihood of damage might be quite high.
Storms that do happen in Nigeria are not as powerful as storms in the USA abeg
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by ModCaller: 9:03am On Feb 02, 2023
zoedew:

If you own a Starlink device at home or office your data budget for your mobile device will be substantially lower than previously and that will hit the mobile isps.

No, it won't hit anybody.

These are different niches. Starlink is competing with fibre optic isps

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Parachoko: 9:10am On Feb 02, 2023
LittleBigDick:

Commit a terrorist crime on Nairaland and watch DSS come to your door steps
Good

So when anybody do what you're talking about

Watch the DSS, FBI or INTERPOL come to the person door.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 9:13am On Feb 02, 2023
ModCaller:

You still don’t get my drift.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 9:16am On Feb 02, 2023
Bossman:
Not really feasible. Unless those units are in very close proximity. Remember they will be connecting to the router and not the satellite. A router’s range is quite limited.

Correct!
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Parachoko: 9:17am On Feb 02, 2023
kishimi8:
i hope you know IHS(GICL) fibre is on almost all streets in cities and LGAs in this country ,
also Galaxy Backbone fibre part of national broad band project is at over 50% completion?\

many nigerians are not even aware of the gargantuan fibre and other tech projects ongoing in the country

I don't know about all this tech projects you're talking about shocked

The one I know about is the construction of a 3000km six-way unified duct fibre infrastructure project in Lagos, the project was started in 2020, the project is suppose to be completed last year. I doubt the project is completed right now or am I wrong?

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by GloriousGbola: 9:24am On Feb 02, 2023
LordReed:

Not really. It's a fixed access device, it doesn't compete with mobile Internet access. It might affect their corporate sales though but Starlink's capital outset is pretty high comparatively. Also you can't repair any of the hardware components if they get damaged and given the nature of our storms likelihood of damage might be quite high.

Local support. The real question. So if you live in katsina and you have a starlink device that goes down, where is your support coming from?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by LordReed(m): 9:26am On Feb 02, 2023
Parachoko:
Storms that do happen in Nigeria are not as powerful as storms in the USA abeg

So? Whether you are in the US or Nigeria if the device gets damaged you may have to order a new one, there are no serviceable parts in it.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by LordReed(m): 9:28am On Feb 02, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Local support. The real question. So if you live in katsina and you have a starlink device that goes down, where is your support coming from?

Exactly. None. Device gets damaged, you have to buy a new one.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by ModCaller: 9:49am On Feb 02, 2023
pasuma:
Stop sending what you have not verified.

That price is based on the official dollar rate which won't work if you have to buy your dollar at black market rate and fund your dollar denominated card to make the payment.

It's almost 40k monthly. The kit is about 400k at black market rate
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Parachoko: 10:22am On Feb 02, 2023
LordReed:

So? Whether you are in the US or Nigeria if the device gets damaged you may have to order a new one, there are no serviceable parts in it.
Person wey buy am go don use him money on top am before it gets damage.

And it might even have a warranty sef
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by LordReed(m): 10:46am On Feb 02, 2023
Parachoko:

Warranty doesn't cover "acts of god".
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by GloriousGbola: 12:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
Parachoko:

Warranty on Nigeria is not warranty in obodo oyibo

1) you pay to ship to the repair center
2) bad power is a clause everyone uses. And bad power is a serious Nigerian problem. That voids agreements
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by kishimi8(m): 8:49pm On Feb 03, 2023
It wont really affect Fiber to business customers much , most fiber to home and SMEs will be affected but corporates will not use starlink , as MPLS and other security based access issues will not allow it. ,. government agencies also cant use starlink due to Nigerian Data protection las , it must be locally routed with in the country
ModCaller:

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by chickenfoot: 9:43pm On Feb 05, 2023
Fantastic, really anticipating this cos the service providers here are doing anyhow, pesin no come fit enjoy browsing for him TECNO phone in peace.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 07, 2023
Ordered mine, Nigerians will buy it. How much is iPhone 13 and 14 again? MTN and co has done me the unthinkable and I don’t pity them.

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by dustmalik: 12:52am On Feb 07, 2023
grossintel:
Ordered mine, Nigerians will buy it. How much is iPhone 13 and 14 again? MTN and co has done me the unthinkable and I don’t pity them.
What card did you use for payment?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by confluence: 2:36am On Feb 07, 2023
I was able to confirm my order to day to beat the deadline given by Starlink

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Nobody: 5:54am On Feb 07, 2023
dustmalik:

What card did you use for payment?
Chipper cash, It costs around 450k that’s about $587 not $600. Naira cards do not work.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Parachoko: 8:03am On Feb 07, 2023
grossintel:
A guy on Nairaland was telling me that Nigerians can not afford it because of the poverty level.

I don't understand how some people feel Starlink have not make their own research before choosing Nigeria as the first African country to operate in. Why will Starlink want to invest in a country they won't be able to make profit?

Yes, there are millions of people living in poverty in Nigeria, but there are still millions of Nigeria that can afford to buy Starlink.

MTN, Airtel, Glo and 9Mobile will surely lose most of their heavy subscribers this year.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Nobody: 8:41am On Feb 07, 2023
Parachoko:
A guy on Nairaland was telling me that Nigerians can not afford it because of the poverty level.

I don't understand how some people feel Starlink have not make their own research before choosing Nigeria as the first African country to operate in. Why will Starlink want to invest in a country they won't be able to make profit?

Yes, there are millions of people living in poverty in Nigeria, but there are still millions of Nigeria that can afford to buy Starlink.

MTN, Airtel, Glo and 9Mobile will surely lose most of their heavy subscribers this year.
Starlink is currently after the heavy data subscribers and they will grab the market share with ease at this price point. Businesses, hotels, freelancers, tech professionals etc will buy it with no second thought and these category of subscribers make up about 85% of data revenue generated by telecom companies.

Yes there are very poor people in Nigeria but Starlink is not selling to poor Nigerians, they are after the big dogs.

It’s currently on high demand, the way people are buying it you would think it’s sold for 2k.

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by xfactordv: 4:03pm On Feb 07, 2023
confluence:
I was able to confirm my order to day to beat the deadline given by Starlink
what deadline ?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by confluence: 2:52am On Feb 08, 2023
For those who paid the initial $99 some months back, , we were given 7 days maximum to pay up the balance of 228k naira, but when you want to pay, the Nigeria cards were been rejected so you have to source for the $$ equivalent to pay or you get order cancelled.
xfactordv:
what deadline ?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by meobizy(f): 7:59pm On Feb 10, 2023
Make e reach mainstream first. I dey fold arms look.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by georgee(m): 6:39pm On Feb 19, 2023
Do they have offices in Nigeria yet and can we now order with NGN Debit card

Cos for me, I go need buy other accessories like WiFi extenders from them
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by dustmalik: 6:57pm On Feb 19, 2023
georgee:
Do they have offices in Nigeria yet and can we now order with NGN Debit card

Cos for me, I go need buy other accessories like WiFi extenders from them
As far as I know, Starlink doesn't have a walk-in center anywhere in the world, not even in the US.

And No, you can only order using a dollar card.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by georgee(m): 10:26pm On Feb 19, 2023
dustmalik:

As far as I know, Starlink doesn't have a walk-in center anywhere in the world, not even in the US.

And No, you can only order using a dollar card.
Na wahala be this dollar card thing ooo cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Huawei Files To Trademark Mobile OS Around The World After U.S Ban / Get 50mb For #100 Naira Only On Mtn !!! / 7 Weird Places We Charge Our Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.