Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,476 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? (26260 Views)

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / How Airtel Is Winning The Battle For Supremacy In Nigeria’s Internet Market / Clean Iphone � 6s Available For Pick Up - Phone/internet Market - Nai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by 43Ronin: 12:24pm On Feb 01, 2023
lordwilliams21:

In the long run, you dont know what will happen in the future,elon musk might increase the amount for the subscription or it might be data capped in the future or it might even get slower as more people use it
Bro it's satellite tech, it can never go down or slowdown. It's what Ukraine is using now since Russia destroyed their Internet. SpaceX is the only reason Ukraine is in the war.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by cliqtips: 12:24pm On Feb 01, 2023
Ahmed0336:
I am in love with Glo.

That starlink subscription amount na for ritualists and Yahoo boys.

If you're heavy residential data user that doesn't want interruption in connection, it's the way to go.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by GloriousGbola: 12:25pm On Feb 01, 2023
martineverest:
...some Nigerians experienced close to 300mbs yesterday...not even MTN can come close to that feat.

Do u know how much some companies pay for data subscription monthly?....starlink will be the cheapest alternative for many companies

Starlink is fine for an INDIVIDUAL customer. The bandwidth requirement of an SME will be much more than that of a domestic user.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by cliqtips: 12:27pm On Feb 01, 2023
Ournolly:

Elon is dominating isp across the globe, no doubt.
Can't wait to watch the likes of mtn and glo scammers sweat profusely. grin

For that to happen, he would need to do mobile devices like the mifi devices. But for now, it's for residential use.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by fineboynl(m): 12:27pm On Feb 01, 2023
It looks like Facebook abandoned his own projects. When it crashes after visit to Africa.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Curious345: 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2023
seanwilliam:
Most people won’t be able to afford the installation fee .
But the subscription fee is fair enough
5 people in the same compound or neighbourhood can combine funds to buy it

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by cliqtips: 12:29pm On Feb 01, 2023
43Ronin:

Bro it's satellite tech, it can never go down or slowdown. It's what Ukraine is using now since Russia destroyed their Internet. SpaceX is the only reason Ukraine is in the war.

They also shipped their devices to Afghanistan for people to update the world after their government shutdown the internet.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by meeketta: 12:39pm On Feb 01, 2023
They should make it affordable for a common man, and watch how these show body network will go down the drain.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by ModCaller: 12:40pm On Feb 01, 2023
You're comparing different categories of Internet service providers.

MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, etc are mobile internet service providers.

Starlink is a broadband internet service provider. You can't use starlink with your phone except through WiFi. The equipment are not portable. Only good for home and office use. The thing comes with satellite dish o.

They are completely different niches. MTN, GLO, Airtel, etc will ALWAYS have their place.

10 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Blaze14k: 12:45pm On Feb 01, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
go away it is not meant for pour people like you who want to bam bam with big boys like us

Lol no b only poor.. do u feed me abi na ur papa dey feed me?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by rman: 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2023
ModCaller:
You're comparing different categories of Internet service providers.

MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, etc are mobile internet service providers.

Starling is a broadband internet service provider. You can't use starlink with your phone except through WiFi. The equipment are not portable. Only good for home and office use.

They are completely different niches. MTN, GLO, Airtel, etc will ALWAYS have their place.

You are the only one that understands the difference in market niches.

Peeps are commenting as if they will be carrying the satellite around. MTN an co are predominantly playing in the mobile space. And the larger percentage of internet access is on mobiles.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Minjim: 12:53pm On Feb 01, 2023
GloriousGbola:

You think Elon musk who has introduced microtransactions to the auto industry will not do the same with starlink?
If tesla owner experiences are anything to go by, you may not even be able to transfer ownership after purchase

The do sell Telsa used cars now
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by bravoluv83(m): 12:56pm On Feb 01, 2023
How much be minimum wage ??
blingxx:

19k monthly sub ain't that much bruh
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by qtx(m): 12:59pm On Feb 01, 2023
martineverest:
275k for the device and 19k per month subscription....many companies will jump on it as it's far cheaper in the long run.

Some companies pay more than 100k per month for data subscription in Nigeria...compare that with 19k

Í dont get really. For instance if you have many locations is it that u have to buy device for each location? is there a way i can use one device to cover for more locations even if it means having a higher subscription plan to cover them all?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Ournolly: 1:07pm On Feb 01, 2023
Relixy2k:
Na so una say dstv will go down when tstv comes. Nigeria with it's peculiarity will continue to be mainly under those 4 major network.
TStv is a local product with no licence to broadcast epl matches, how will it defeat dstv?

For heavy data users like us that pay over 50k per month for data, it's rip for mtn and the likes.

You should note that I wasn't referring to 3k per month subscribers.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Ournolly: 1:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
cliqtips:

For that to happen, he would need to do mobile devices like the mifi devices. But for now, it's for residential use.
Not only residential.
It's majorly for big establishments like banks, insurance, hotels etc.

They are the ones that pay much for data anyway.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Bizibi(m): 1:21pm On Feb 01, 2023
anyilalaz:
Don't be surely excited. This is a country were things that work in other climes fail yakata. Even established theories, laws, principles... the people, etc
it will work.....you think people like Elon musk don't know the game here. He is scratching the back to get access to the resources. Senators go chop money......
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by cliqtips: 1:27pm On Feb 01, 2023
Ournolly:

Not only residential us.
It's majorly for big establishments like banks, insurance, hotels etc.

They are the one that pay much for data anyway.

Yes, you're right. I forgot to add those.

It's a win for those establishments because they will pay lesser for data.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by mu2sa2: 1:29pm On Feb 01, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
I boughted my own yesterday, omo the speed is something else, it's faster than the rays of light
You have "boughted" and tested it! Clap for yaself .
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by mmsen: 1:29pm On Feb 01, 2023
It might but most of Musk's endeavors prove to be very problematic. I'll let some of you rush out and test before I think about it.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by faithfull18(f): 1:31pm On Feb 01, 2023
Let's see😉
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by nedekid: 1:33pm On Feb 01, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
I boughted my own yesterday, omo the speed is something else, it's faster than the rays of light
How much exactly for the equipment? How did you order?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by telim: 1:35pm On Feb 01, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
were did you buy it from?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by jadajada: 1:42pm On Feb 01, 2023
LeopardX:

Yes. But the price will be extremely cheap compared to what we have currently.

Imagine paying 1k for 50gig. 😲
but one will have to buy and install the equipment?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by jeff1607(m): 1:48pm On Feb 01, 2023
fr3do:

This is satellite communication
There's nothing much bad belle people can do, except they want to shoot down the satellites

They will stone it grin
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Nyanabo(m): 1:54pm On Feb 01, 2023
I'll take it with a pinch of salt. If it happens fine if it doesn't fine.

Same way we praised TSTV still nothing now.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by BarrElChapo(m): 1:57pm On Feb 01, 2023
Minjim:

Of course
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by LastProphet: 1:58pm On Feb 01, 2023
Kk4:
Don't be quick to welcome Starlink to Nigeria. There is a reason most developed countries don't have it or let it operate in their countries.
Can you imagine the amount of Nigerians information that will be at the United States disposal when Starlink becomes fully accessible by Nigerians.

What is Nigerians' information worth? Fuel scarcity, banditry or corruption? Which one is information? Bank details? How much is in people's accounts in Nigeria when converted to Dollars? Nigeria is hopeless

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 01, 2023
anyilalaz:
Don't be surely excited. This is a country were things that work in other climes fail yakata. Even established theories, laws, principles... the people, etc

Oloribu niyin. You cry at every good things that happened to Nigeria but still wail that the country is underperforming. What do you people even want
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by BarrElChapo(m): 2:01pm On Feb 01, 2023
Minjim:

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by COMPAQ(m): 2:02pm On Feb 01, 2023
Ournolly:

Equiano will be very limited.
Mainly available to coastal areas like Lagos and PH.
This has always been the biggest issue with most fiber optic services.

It's very expansive to expand their services and when done to non-coastal regions there tend to be a lot of service maintenance and issues that have to do with the underground wiring.

Satellite services like StarLink on the other hand is a game changer, and the fact that SpaceX is a space exploration company is a double boost.

Elon is dominating isp across the globe, no doubt.
Can't wait to watch the likes of mtn and glo scammers sweat profusely. grin

Not sure its much of a gamechanger! Cos its too expensive. From what I gather, the NGN prices posted on the site are just for representation. Once you try to pay, I hear it will request for the USD equivalent. So In effect, the monthly subscription is almost N40k, as you will have to source your dollar at the black market, while the hardware costs is almost N450k. Those are not prices that are game changer prices. Besides if what you have meets your need, why do you necessarily need it. I have 10Mbps Fiber Optic and I can watch FHD with it for N11.5k. If I wanted 20Mbps, it would be N18k or so. So if that works, why do i need to cough out half a million naira of my hard earned money.

And our gsm isnt that bad. i've watched matches on my phone at 1080p for the full 90mins several time without major issues. just the occasional drop in resolution now and again.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by yinkeys(m): 2:08pm On Feb 01, 2023
Expensive
They’d also keep extracting your data in addition to pushing to you ads related to all you search

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Memory Cards (SD) Not Detected On Mobile Phones Solved / Tecno L3 Vs P3 - Clash Of The Brothers!!!! / How To Spot A Fake Phone (clone) Of Various Popular Brands - Deschyko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.