Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,889 members, 7,828,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? (26309 Views)

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / How Airtel Is Winning The Battle For Supremacy In Nigeria’s Internet Market / Clean Iphone � 6s Available For Pick Up - Phone/internet Market - Nai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by ike007(m): 11:47am On Feb 01, 2023
Indeed
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by confluence: 11:48am On Feb 01, 2023
Please how did you pay? Which of the Nigeria card did you use
Enemyofpeace:
I boughted my own yesterday, omo the speed is something else, it's faster than the rays of light
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by mach7(m): 11:49am On Feb 01, 2023
Kk4:
Don't be quick to welcome Starlink to Nigeria. There is a reason most developed countries don't have it or let it operate in their countries.
Can you imagine the amount of Nigerians information that will be at the United States disposal when Starlink becomes fully accessible by Nigerians.
A very important point.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Fiyin007: 11:50am On Feb 01, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
I boughted my own yesterday, omo the speed is something else, it's faster than the rays of light

Screenshot your speedtest.

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Relixy2k: 11:52am On Feb 01, 2023
Na so una say dstv will go down when tstv comes. Nigeria with it's peculiarity will continue to be mainly under those 4 major network.
Ournolly:

Equiano will be very limited.
Mainly available to coastal areas like Lagos and PH.
This has always been the biggest issue with most fiber optic services.

It's very expansive to expand their services and when done to non-coastal regions there tend to be a lot of service maintenance and issues that have to do with the underground wiring.

Satellite services like StarLink on the other hand is a game changer, and the fact that SpaceX is a space exploration company is a double boost.

Elon is dominating isp across the globe, no doubt.
Can't wait to watch the likes of mtn and glo scammers sweat profusely. grin
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by lordwilliams21(m): 11:53am On Feb 01, 2023
Deicide:
In the long run when you actually think about it. It is not expensive.
In the long run, you dont know what will happen in the future,elon musk might increase the amount for the subscription or it might be data capped in the future or it might even get slower as more people use it
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by qtx(m): 11:53am On Feb 01, 2023
200k for the device alone? well, i think i need to read more about the whole arrangement first.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Parachoko: 11:55am On Feb 01, 2023
LeopardX:

Yes. But the price will be extremely cheap compared to what we have currently.
How did you know this?
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by bassdow: 11:56am On Feb 01, 2023
Lukgaf:
What do you think?

Not possible for a number of reasons.

Issue be say, na people wey no understand how satellite technology works wey go Spend money doing Trial and error.

No matter how much you try, you can't get Cheap & FAST Satellite Internet. Satellite Internet has it's uses and it's advantages but it CAN NOT put it's competitors using other technologies out of Business.

I'm too busy and/ or lazy to say more abeg.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Minjim: 11:56am On Feb 01, 2023
If it's unlimited. Nah to buy it and open a cyber cafe to sub-let or sell their data through wifi to people

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Minjim: 11:58am On Feb 01, 2023
lordwilliams21:

In the long run, you dont know what will happen in the future,elon musk might increase the amount for the subscription or it might be data capped in the future or it might even get slower as more people use it

It can never be capped. The whole idea is to provide unlimited data

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by faceland: 11:59am On Feb 01, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
go away it is not meant for pour people like you who want to bam bam with big boys like us tongue tongue

With 720+ Naira = to 1 Dollar, the big boyz should have fun.

I would rather cut my coat according to my side... Last year, I can't finish 100GB in a month on my MOBILE phone (although this January, they have been burning my data).

Modify: 30k/month no be Big Boyz money sha... but 400k for installation is an INVESTMENT (that is close to half a million, that internet better be making a minimum of 1 million a month).

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Ckonnet: 11:59am On Feb 01, 2023
LittleBigDick:
Congrats on giving your personal details to a private corp which are not hard to get

Anybody can social engineer his way into Star link and find out where you live

I rather stick to my 3G Glo ( proudly supporting business of a Nigerian not a white billionaire)

I think you don't understand how the system works, it's a low orbit satellite that you can't even be blocked or penetrated that easily. That's one of the tools Ukraine are using to their advantage, almighty Russians couldn't crack the code why there own system has been cracked n bridge severely.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:00pm On Feb 01, 2023
LeopardX:
Wait until Google comes aboard with their equiano stuff.

Everywhere go scatter.

It's for the good of the nation.

We are being held captive by MTN, AIRTEL, GLO & 9MOBILE
I don't trust Google......Amazon Kuiper will be better
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by faceland: 12:00pm On Feb 01, 2023
Minjim:

There is a limit you would cross where it would intentionally slowdown (like in the US)

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:05pm On Feb 01, 2023
Kk4:
Don't be quick to welcome Starlink to Nigeria. There is a reason most developed countries don't have it or let it operate in their countries.
Can you imagine the amount of Nigerians information that will be at the United States disposal when Starlink becomes fully accessible by Nigerians.
true....but u use services from google, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft right?...that a whole lost of Nigeria info at USA disposal.

Stop the hypocrisy

7 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:05pm On Feb 01, 2023
Evolutionlove:

The kind of Extortion going on in Nigeria and Africa at large is Alarming.
hope u know Nigeria internet is among the top 5 cheapest in the world
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by lordwilliams21(m): 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2023
Minjim:

ok lets say it can never be capped, what are the odds that the subsciption amount won't increase
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2023
seanwilliam:
Most people won’t be able to afford the installation fee .
But the subscription fee is fair enough
companies will buy it and thus reduce the impact of MTN and co.....this will force MTN and others to reduce their price..

4 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:11pm On Feb 01, 2023
Heffalump:

In fact, Multichoice is another big problem caused by our politicians. That monopoly must be broken.
Netflix, Amazon and Disney plus will kill MultiChoice in the nearest future

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Parachoko: 12:12pm On Feb 01, 2023
LittleBigDick:
Congrats on giving your personal details to a private corp which are not hard to get

Anybody can social engineer his way into Star link and find out where you live

I rather stick to my 3G Glo ( proudly supporting business of a Nigerian not a white billionaire)
Why Anbody never social engineer their way into Nairaland and find out where you live all this while?

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by GloriousGbola: 12:13pm On Feb 01, 2023
The company has also slashed the costs of its hardware and subscription plan to N274,098 and N19,260 monthly

A modem is 5k. A router is 25 to 40k. Fiber Los is 50 to 60 k

And the technology is not actually proven in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Timekeeper452: 12:13pm On Feb 01, 2023
Kk4:
like your information isn’t already with the United States.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Enemyofpeace: 12:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
faceland:

With 720+ Naira = to 1 Dollar, the big boyz should have fun.

I would rather cut my coat according to my side... Last year, I can't finish 100GB in a month on my MOBILE phone (although this January, they have been burning my data).

Modify: 30k/month no be Big Boyz money sha... but 400k for installation is an INVESTMENT (that is close to half a million, that internet better be making a minimum of 1 million a month).
which coat? You get coat? Abi na dat coat wey your friend borrow you do Christmas you dey call your own coat? Abeg no make me laugh o

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by GloriousGbola: 12:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
Minjim:

You think Elon musk who has introduced microtransactions to the auto industry will not do the same with starlink?
If tesla owner experiences are anything to go by, you may not even be able to transfer ownership after purchase
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by 43Ronin: 12:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
OP you don't have a source yet your information is wrong. Starkink will cost almost 500k for the hardware while install is..... pls verify your facts before posting. Don't join the hoard of junk journalist in nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:19pm On Feb 01, 2023
qtx:
200k for the device alone? well, i think i need to read more about the whole arrangement first.
275k for the device and 19k per month subscription....many companies will jump on it as it's far cheaper in the long run.

Some companies pay more than 100k per month for data subscription in Nigeria...compare that with 19k

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by cliqtips: 12:21pm On Feb 01, 2023
Lukgaf:
I'm happy to read Starlink has made its way to Nigeria, bringing an end to the frustration caused by subpar 2G providers claiming to offer 4G/5G services. Although the cost of the Starlink device may be high (around 200k), the quality-wise monthly subscription is relatively affordable, making it a viable option for many.

This arrival of Starlink is sure to shake up the market and force the competition, such as Uncle Yellow, Green, and Red, to step up their game.

I wish they can also make the mobile devices like mifi.. e go too sweet.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by faceland: 12:21pm On Feb 01, 2023
Enemyofpeace:
which coat? You get coat? Abi na dat coat wey your friend borrow you do Christmas you dey call your own coat? Abeg no make me laugh o

What is "coat" big boy?... and can you post a picture of your coat with a unique message like your user name (I too want to laugh at you)?

...silence

Don't replay without picture, lets start with your receipts and brand of cars, or just screenshot of you account balance.

Just for the records, it priority. I can't finish 100GB in a month. Electric bill alone is double that price, so fuel and so on. No shame in asking for a better deal that suits once lifestyle/usage
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:22pm On Feb 01, 2023
GloriousGbola:

A modem is 5k. A router is 25 to 40k. Fiber Los is 50 to 60 k

And the technology is not actually proven in Nigeria.

...some Nigerians experienced close to 300mbs yesterday...not even MTN can come close to that feat.

Do u know how much some companies pay for data subscription monthly?....starlink will be the cheapest alternative for many companies

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by James91: 12:23pm On Feb 01, 2023
Good, that is what we need for our cement industry too

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by martineverest(m): 12:23pm On Feb 01, 2023
lordwilliams21:

ok lets say it can never be capped, what are the odds that the subsciption amount won't increase
before they increase it Amazon and Google would have launched theirs in Nigeria,.. competition will favour us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BBM Would Be Available On Samsung Galaxy Devices On September 19th For 3 Months / Good Samaritans Who Returned Lost Phones / Huawei Files To Trademark Mobile OS Around The World After U.S Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.