Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,918 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? (26311 Views)

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / How Airtel Is Winning The Battle For Supremacy In Nigeria’s Internet Market / Clean Iphone � 6s Available For Pick Up - Phone/internet Market - Nai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by kishimi8(m): 4:34pm On Feb 01, 2023
i hope you know IHS(GICL) fibre is on almost all streets in cities and LGAs in this country ,
also Galaxy Backbone fibre part of national broad band project is at over 50% completion?\

many nigerians are not even aware of the gargantuan fibre and other tech projects ongoing in the country

Ournolly:

Equiano will be very limited.
Mainly available to coastal areas like Lagos and PH.
This has always been the biggest issue with most fiber optic services.

It's very expansive to expand their services and when done to non-coastal regions there tend to be a lot of service maintenance and issues that have to do with the underground wiring.

Satellite services like StarLink on the other hand is a game changer, and the fact that SpaceX is a space exploration company is a double boost.

Elon is dominating isp across the globe, no doubt.
Can't wait to watch the likes of mtn and glo scammers sweat profusely. grin

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Bossman(m): 4:40pm On Feb 01, 2023
You are absolutely correct. These are not game changer costs. It has to be cheap for the masses to be able to purchase it.
Same here - have used my MTN data (connected to my android box) to successfully stream movies, matches, etc. So for now, mobile data will still be the dominant means of getting on the internet in Nigeria.
COMPAQ:

Not sure its much of a gamechanger! Cos its too expensive. From what I gather, the NGN prices posted on the site are just for representation. Once you try to pay, I hear it will request for the USD equivalent. So In effect, the monthly subscription is almost N40k, as you will have to source your dollar at the black market, while the hardware costs is almost N450k. Those are not prices that are game changer prices. Besides if what you have meets your need, why do you necessarily need it. I have 10Mbps Fiber Optic and I can watch FHD with it for N11.5k. If I wanted 20Mbps, it would be N18k or so. So if that works, why do i need to cough out half a million naira of my hard earned money.

And our gsm isnt that bad. i've watched matches on my phone at 1080p for the full 90mins several time without major issues. just the occasional drop in resolution now and again.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by qtx(m): 4:46pm On Feb 01, 2023
Bossman:
Yes, you have to buy a device for each location. Unless you want to be hauling the satellite dish/router back and forth to each location. This is broadband internet that's supposed to be fixed at one location. The satellite will have to be installed and probably attached to a building and then connected to the router. So, it's not really portable.
Any idea which band is this dish whether its Ku, C or what band since ku for instance is always affected by whether?
Thanks
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Gbadebo01(m): 4:50pm On Feb 01, 2023
Lukgaf:
Similarly, starlink's availability in Nigeria brings hope for a more connected future, especially for students and those who have been limited by the high cost of internet access. I believe this will pave the way for affordable internet, making it possible for more individuals to have access to educational resources, including my Yorùbá mathematics classes. I'm looking forward to reaching a wider audience and sharing my knowledge with more students.
About the more connected future, I agree but starlink is still too expensive for the Nigeria market. A guy at Abeokuta did a small expose on Twitter. The total cost to buy and setup was about 400k and a monthly subscription of 48 dollars (if I am not mistaken) is not student friendly or affordable in my opinion.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by qtx(m): 4:50pm On Feb 01, 2023
kishimi8:
i hope you know IHS(GICL) fibre is on almost all streets in cities and LGAs in this country ,
also Galaxy Backbone fibre part of national broad band project is at over 50% completion?\

many nigerians are not even aware of the gargantuan fibre and other tech projects ongoing in the country

Guy they have being laying fibre in lagos for some years now with nothing to show for it. So far you can only boast of fibre internet in some locations on the island and one or two locations on mainland in Lagos and one or two locations in Abuja despite all the years they have spent. All this Galaxy this Galaxy that, forget everything works at snail speed in Nigeria. I dont know what is causing that. I am tempted to agree with some who beleive that anything government's hand is inside doesnt work well. We need more investors to come and highten the competition to make some of the businesses situp.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by kishimi8(m): 5:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
have you attempted buying the service from any of the numerous providers running their services on these cables or are you talking based on hearsay , ?

All those cables are in use , as a matter of fact you can drop mtn/airtel/legend / phase 3 etc fibre cheaper than starlink and at 30k to less than 30k monthly for unlimited at 20mbps

qtx:

Guy they have being laying fibre in lagos for some years now with nothing to show for it. So far you can only boast of fibre internet in some locations on the island and one or two locations on mainland in Lagos and one or two locations in Abuja despite all the years they have spent. All this Galaxy this Galaxy that, forget everything works at snail speed in Nigeria. I dont know what is causing that. I am tempted to agree with some who beleive that anything government's hand is inside doesnt work well. We need more investors to come and highten the competition to make some of the businesses situp.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Adakintroy: 5:11pm On Feb 01, 2023
dochenaj:
The hardware costs is the only limitation, if not, I can almost be certain that there would be an almost immediate widespread adoption of Starlink as the defacto ISP all across Nigeria.

And being satellite technology, even the hinterlands are covered.

MTN, Airtel and co can go and sit in the heap of dirt with their pathetic 4G that acts worse than 2G.

Hardware cost won't be can issue subsequently. Its only at the initial. They will drop it drastically once they figure many can't afford it. They are not here to sell you hardware short term but software long term.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by SodiumValproate: 5:23pm On Feb 01, 2023
LeopardX:

Yes. But the price will be extremely cheap compared to what we have currently.

Imagine paying 1k for 50gig. 😲
Make Psychiatrists and Rehabilitation centers prepare for a breakout of a mental epidemic of Internet addiction in Nigeria.

grin

I have been suffering from it since 2009 grin

3 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Ournolly: 5:28pm On Feb 01, 2023
kishimi8:

My brother, there is no Fiber Optic Service in Anambra.
I have made several inquiries for it and there is non. There is one at Owerri and I can't think of any city in South East.

Fiber service is meant for heavily populated city and can be a very expensive project. That's why rural areas are mostly excluded as it will be a waste of resources, not even to mention maintenance.

Satellite internet services mainly target those rural areas that will not be able to enjoy quality internet services like FOS.

Note: I will be happy to be referred to any FOS available at Onitsha.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by bizhop01: 5:49pm On Feb 01, 2023
Another story
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Ahmed0336(m): 6:35pm On Feb 01, 2023
Nolevel666:

Shutup mumu

Have you worked with 3d graphics engine like UNREAL engine before?

Download one project of 200gb first before you spew nonsense

Na your fatherrrrrr be mumu.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Nolevel666: 7:32pm On Feb 01, 2023
Ahmed0336:

Na your fatherrrrrr be mumu.

Tomorrow person like you go say him day go abroad

Zombie
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by pasuma(m): 7:33pm On Feb 01, 2023
You're on point, was having a rethink on the cost of equipment until I thought about ordinary used iphone cost about that amount, just told my wife I'm getting mine next week jare... Those other criminals will give you 17500 with speed less than 5mbps with data caps. Abeg I must buy mine next week by God's grace

dochenaj:
The hardware costs is the only limitation, if not, I can almost be certain that there would be an almost immediate widespread adoption of Starlink as the defacto ISP all across Nigeria.

And being satellite technology, even the hinterlands are covered.

MTN, Airtel and co can go and sit in the heap of dirt with their pathetic 4G that acts worse than 2G.

4 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Ahmed0336(m): 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2023
Nolevel666:

Tomorrow person like you go say him day go abroad

Zombie

Abroad my azz. Na we go fix dis country Ina nugo ndi Andrew liver salt?

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Remii(m): 8:03pm On Feb 01, 2023
not sure, at the cutthroat price
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by FoggedBrain: 8:28pm On Feb 01, 2023
Starlink in Nigeria is going to be a game changer for internet and data subscription.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Freethinker87: 10:13pm On Feb 01, 2023
Starlink should allow Nigerians pay N50,000 upfront and spread the balance over 2 years. Customers can agree to pay a higher monthly subscription for 2 years to offset the debt.

Win-win for everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Everbryte: 11:12pm On Feb 01, 2023
To pay for the kit is over 600k

How can students/rural dwellers afford this?

Lukgaf:
I'm happy to read Starlink has made its way to Nigeria, bringing an end to the frustration caused by subpar 2G providers claiming to offer 4G/5G services. Although the cost of the Starlink device may be high (around 200k), the quality-wise monthly subscription is relatively affordable, making it a viable option for many.

This arrival of Starlink is sure to shake up the market and force the competition, such as Uncle Yellow, Green, and Red, to step up their game.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by pasuma(m): 6:41am On Feb 02, 2023
Pretty sure you don't use real broadband internet connection, if you are using radio connection you'll know this is cheapest in the country price wise and the fastest speed wise..

Go and verify

Blaze14k:

That stuff is expensive.. 268k for hardware and 20k/month sub
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by pasuma(m): 6:47am On Feb 02, 2023
Stop sending what you have not verified.

43Ronin:
OP you don't have a source yet your information is wrong. Starkink will cost almost 500k for the hardware while install is..... pls verify your facts before posting. Don't join the hoard of junk journalist in nigeria

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by pasuma(m): 6:48am On Feb 02, 2023
In my former company we pay more than 600k a month

martineverest:
275k for the device and 19k per month subscription....many companies will jump on it as it's far cheaper in the long run.

Some companies pay more than 100k per month for data subscription in Nigeria...compare that with 19k

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by pasuma(m): 6:55am On Feb 02, 2023
Which provider are you using

COMPAQ:

Not sure its much of a gamechanger! Cos its too expensive. From what I gather, the NGN prices posted on the site are just for representation. Once you try to pay, I hear it will request for the USD equivalent. So In effect, the monthly subscription is almost N40k, as you will have to source your dollar at the black market, while the hardware costs is almost N450k. Those are not prices that are game changer prices. Besides if what you have meets your need, why do you necessarily need it. I have 10Mbps Fiber Optic and I can watch FHD with it for N11.5k. If I wanted 20Mbps, it would be N18k or so. So if that works, why do i need to cough out half a million naira of my hard earned money.

And our gsm isnt that bad. i've watched matches on my phone at 1080p for the full 90mins several time without major issues. just the occasional drop in resolution now and again.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Waffarianman(m): 7:42am On Feb 02, 2023
I think it's on the high side for the 3 class people
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Blaze14k: 7:53am On Feb 02, 2023
pasuma:

Pretty sure you don't use real broadband internet connection, if you are using radio connection you'll know this is cheapest in the country price wise and the fastest speed wise..

Go and verify

Lol bro i started using broadband around 2009 cos i use to do affiliate marking and blogging, it was as low as 9k per month. Now im into buying and selling so i dont have time for those things anymore. If am no longer on the internet as much as i use to theres no need getting the starlink tho the internet speed is brilliant

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:15am On Feb 02, 2023
Kk4:
Don't be quick to welcome Starlink to Nigeria. There is a reason most developed countries don't have it or let it operate in their countries.
Can you imagine the amount of Nigerians information that will be at the United States disposal when Starlink becomes fully accessible by Nigerians.
What is any Nigerian hiding that is not already known? USA only tell you what they know when they consider it necessary.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:23am On Feb 02, 2023
Smartmanager:
people fit gather money buy am;lets say an estate or compound.
Smart thinking! Especially as it can serve 128 connections to one device. Expect service degradation though with increased connections.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:26am On Feb 02, 2023
mach7:
Yes, but we need to be careful.

Starlink is an independent internet service, not under any visible control of government and hence cannot be shutdown or restricted.

If and when certain foreign subversive elements want to cause problems in Nigeria by propagating fake news and instigating violent uprisings, Starlink would be a veritable tool in the hands of such elements.
Regulatory tools can be deployed to deal with the situation.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:32am On Feb 02, 2023
lordwilliams21:

In the long run, you dont know what will happen in the future,elon musk might increase the amount for the subscription or it might be data capped in the future or it might even get slower as more people use it
Not likely Sir. The scenario playing out in this respect is prophesied in Daniel 12:4 in the Bible. Digital entities and humans expressed in digital formats will “run to and fro” (this refers to internet traffic on the internet highway) and knowledge (quantum of data capable of being carried on the internet highway) will increase e.g 5g connections, 4K tv etc. The world as a global village will shrink even more into a global village square going forward so the man of sin can effectively control the www. Endtime Bible prophecy is playing out friends. Let’s flow with Jesus so we won’t get caught on the wrong side of things.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by mach7(m): 8:39am On Feb 02, 2023
zoedew:

Regulatory tools can be deployed to deal with the situation.
Yes, that is possible but it needs to be proactive and not reactive.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by Bossman(m): 8:40am On Feb 02, 2023
Not really feasible. Unless those units are in very close proximity. Remember they will be connecting to the router and not the satellite. A router’s range is quite limited.

zoedew:

Smart thinking! Especially as it can serve 128 connections to one device. Expect service degradation though with increased connections.

1 Like

Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:43am On Feb 02, 2023
Minjim:

It can never be capped. The whole idea is to provide unlimited data
Ultimately to make all on earth accessible to the antichrist. Just type “antichrist” starting out with lowercase and your phone will change the first letter to uppercase but it is not so when you type God starting out with lowercase- it remains so unless you are intentional about uppercase “G”.
Re: Starlink Will Shake Up The Internet Market! What do you think? by zoedew: 8:49am On Feb 02, 2023
cliqtips:

I wish they can also make the mobile devices like mifi.. e go too sweet.

It’s coming your way someday soon. It’s all the plan to ensure no one on earth is inaccessible to the antichrist. Best to be with Jesus now before it gets too late to do so.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BBM Would Be Available On Samsung Galaxy Devices On September 19th For 3 Months / Good Samaritans Who Returned Lost Phones / Huawei Files To Trademark Mobile OS Around The World After U.S Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.