Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty (63892 Views)

A Story Of How I Got Deported From Canada(pictures) / 100 Cars Pile-Up, Kill 5, Injure And Trap Many On Texas Highway (Pics) / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2023
writeprof:

I said it. Faculty of Arts? Possibly English, Linguistics or CLA grin.

I'm following you.
No ooo. It was faculty of the social sciences.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Reni1: 7:40pm On Feb 05, 2023
viodemus:

bros, nothing for me to bad belle.

I dey enjoy my own lane, I dey put in my own work. No time for bad belle. But e good make he no go influence other people wrongly.

Na reminder for am to watch out. Don't rejoice too early. He get plenty challenges ahead of am. Racial adjustment, habit adjustment, paper work adjustment, streets adjustments, etc no be play. Like joke like hoke, time go pass am. If he never establish, e go dey forced to tarnish Nigeria's image due to shame or whatever

I sha wish am the best in his new chapter.

Nice one, I feel you and you make sense. No worry him self go realize am like most of us way comot take realize am at some point. Na encouragement him need now.

Funny story, I enter gbege once for work when as I ask
My female colleague say she get belle ? The dey lunch and the girl talk say she dey vomit all morning. As per nollywood now, na pregnancy be that. She change am for me o no ne small matter. I no forgive am
Until a few months after when I realised why my question was meant to be a joke, to her it meant i was questioning her and how she uses her body which was not in my
Place. As simple as it looks, it took a while for my Mentality to change and I guess its what you are also pointing out.

You na correct guy, you put in work, enjoy yourself! Bless!

3 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Ariyke: 7:51pm On Feb 05, 2023
Slynation:
oga rest, around 2013, I bought a new 10 inch mattress for 12K....!! So a small size mattress around 2014 should cost lesser!!
I bought my student mattress in 2013 for 5k sef
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by writeprof(m): 7:52pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
No ooo. It was faculty of the social sciences.

Wow. I love your use of English language. I was a tutor of GES101 and I know I had a lot of good students the departments there especially Political Science.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by larrypourl(m): 8:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
Some people are not aware that there was a time in Nigeria that things were relatively cheap. For instance, the popular Toyota Corolla used for Uber goes for about 500,000 - 700,000 around this time.
I'm enjoying your story, but there was never a time 2003-2007 Toyota Corolla Toks was sold less than 1m. Infact a senior colleague bought his 06 Corolla around 2011 for 1.650m and Camry 2001 for 1.250m. Even the 1998-2002 Corolla hover around 850-1.1m.
The cars available within your quoted price na golf 2, Nissan Almera, Primera, Carina E, II, Sunny, etc cos those were the cheap cars then. Camry and Corolla don cost no bi today.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by gaby(m): 8:02pm On Feb 05, 2023
phorget:

Haaaa nah the bros wey cross desert enter Libya come still cross Mediterranean sea enter Europe be this o... Bros I greet you.

grin

I throwey salute, sir...

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Beey(f): 8:07pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
The beginning

As the title reads, this is a personal account of my struggle in the last 20+ years. I hope this motivates someone to keep faith in the face of daunting challenges.

I am the youngest in a family of three, raised by a single mother. I am the only son and the first and only college-educated among my siblings. My parents divorced when I was two years old, and my mother took up the responsibility of raising us. Unfortunately, she passed away in 2003 when I was in the first year of junior high school, at the age of 12. This marked the beginning of my struggles.

Due to my mother’s death, I had to grow up quickly so I could take care of my basic needs with the help of my grandmother. And in the same year (2003), my sister and I were taken to stay with my maternal aunt to continue our studies, but we had to leave in 2007 when we were in SS2 due to maltreatment from my aunt. For survival, I became a motor boy, following pick-up trucks to load and unload firewood, charcoal, and other woods used in making furniture. The job was very stressful, causing me to often miss classes due to vehicle issues or problems with the police. I did this job for over two years before quitting after my high school graduation. I also worked as an operator, mixer, and carrier in a brick manufacturing company for a few months.

Seun, Justwise, DisGuy, Fynestboi and other moderators, please help move to the front page so others may benefit from this.

Hey how are you? Thanks so much for this piece. Very encouraging. So much perseverance & resilience. Currently in the US. Looking to get some advice from you on how to go about online jobs. Sometimes people don’t like inbox messages, that’s why I’ve decided to message you here. Thanks.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by writeprof(m): 8:14pm On Feb 05, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Well, yes. I can speak for myself and my uncle. None of my friends who did some ever regretted too. Google xantrex engineering, my uncle is the distributor for the west African countries. Engr Seyi Makinde, the oyo state governor isn't known to make today how he made it through oil and gas. He was already a billionaire before becoming governor.

At least, i know someone who knows him closely. The list is endless . If you feel you're comfortable wherever you are, it's fine. Everyone can't come back home. But Nigeria is a fertile land cos I can attest to this. That's my point. Before I came, Indians were dominating our sector. The moment I came, we had a reasonable share of the market. These people would come to Nigeria with one shirt and a pair of trousers but in a few years, they've become multi millionaires in dollars, same as Chinese. Look everywhere, our people are nowhere to be found and this is worrisome.

You're right sir.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by GreatKingg: 8:16pm On Feb 05, 2023
If you're in the US, what skill do you have?... go online, especially indeed, glassdoor, and some other job boards, search for what aligns with your skill.. you can pm me if you want, I can guide you a lil... I'm only available on weekends though..
Beey:
Hey how are you? Thanks so much for this piece. Very encouraging. So much perseverance & resilience. Currently in the US. Looking to get some advice from you on how to go about online jobs. Sometimes people don’t like inbox messages, that’s why I’ve decided to message you here. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by SweetyZinta(f): 8:18pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
I will be back with more updates. It is 3 pm here, I'm going to attend to other things.

Let me know if you are following cool

Edited: I have attached a couple of pictures here for the curious minds.
Thank God for your life and success story.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Henryfocoyo(m): 8:23pm On Feb 05, 2023
moscobabs:

That's not truth, I bought my Nissan Quest Tokunbo #800,000 in 2013. Rest
what are you saying, they use to sell Toyota Corolla in 2013 for 500k, I deal on car's
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Henryfocoyo(m): 8:27pm On Feb 05, 2023
larrypourl:

I'm enjoying your story, but there was never a time 2003-2007 Toyota Corolla Toks was sold less than 1m. Infact a senior colleague bought his 06 Corolla around 2011 for 1.650m and Camry 2001 for 1.250m. Even the 1998-2002 Corolla hover around 850-1.1m.
The cars available within your quoted price na golf 2, Nissan Almera, Primera, Carina E, II, Sunny, etc cos those were the cheap cars then. Camry and Corolla don cost no bi today.
tokubo of it was 500k to 700k in 2013
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by NiceClean: 8:32pm On Feb 05, 2023
I am interested in freelancing but I really don't know how to go about it. Can someone throw more light on this for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by larrypourl(m): 8:33pm On Feb 05, 2023
Henryfocoyo:
tokubo of it was 500k to 700k in 2013

I won't speak further on this. Go and do your findings. We got a 2001 Camry for 1.250m around 2011/2012. Those cars were never cheap. You can use Nairaland Auto section for your research. Go check 2011 car adverts.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 8:35pm On Feb 05, 2023
OlawaleBammie:
students mattress was around 2500 to 3000 then
Wow never knew it was that cheap then
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2023
tfelicityk:

Yes, he is saying the truth. As at 2016, I bought a mattress 3ft by 6ft at the rate of #6500. It was even mouka foam. It may be imitation but it lasted for two years.
Hmmm things don happen for Naija o
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2023
07kjb:

In 2014 yes! Have u seen how decayed NIGERIA have gone
Na wah oooo jesuuii
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 8:37pm On Feb 05, 2023
Ramanto:

It was not Buhari's government
Hmmmm
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 8:37pm On Feb 05, 2023
puremaker7:
I bought student mattress #2500 in year 2012 for my nephew
O ga ooo
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 8:38pm On Feb 05, 2023
teejay29:
I bought my own students mattress #6.5k in ilorin in the year 2014
How much is it now
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Beey(f): 8:39pm On Feb 05, 2023
GreatKingg:
If you're in the US, what skill do you have?... go online, especially indeed, glassdoor, and some other job boards, search for what aligns with your skill.. you can pm me if you want, I can guide you a lil... I'm only available on weekends though..
Thanks, I’ll do so. Was looking to interpreter jobs.Will PM
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 8:40pm On Feb 05, 2023
ibinaboonline:
It's almost incredible to realize how much the economy had give to shit between 2015 and today.
Oro di hmmm🤔
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by GreatKingg: 8:44pm On Feb 05, 2023
Interpreter jobs?.... what language are you looking to interpret?
Beey:
Thanks, I’ll do so. Was looking to interpreter jobs.Will PM
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by snowland(m): 8:50pm On Feb 05, 2023
I was once in Texas too. PM me, I got some documents to give if you're interested in IT (Big data). Congrats and welcome to the God's own country, land of the free and home of the brave.

5 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by SuperOnyi: 8:54pm On Feb 05, 2023
Geominer:

100 level, I bought my new student mattress 3500naira in 2014.

shocked

People like y'all really enjoyed this country a bit but gen z like us coming up (😟).
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
i dont have time to read your long story i am already jealous cuz it seems like u have succeeded
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
SuperOnyi:

shocked

People like y'all really enjoyed this country a bit but gen z like us coming up (😟).
onyi forget about the op and others, they are all biatches they dont know what is meant by suffering, op is just a cry baby thinking that he suffered a lot in this life #mtswww
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Lamanii22(f): 9:04pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
Risk, risk, and more risk

After two months, I resigned from my new job in June 2020 because I spent all my salary on feeding and transportation without anything left, and returned to my friend’s place in Ibadan. Then I continued my online search for things I could do. This time, I discovered I could do online surveys to earn money to keep afloat. The only problem was that the money was not consistent and our accounts (which were paid for) usually got suspended with money our money it. However, I did make a decent amount of money to the tune of about five hundred thousand (#500,000) through this means and the bulk of it was spent on feeding, data, rent and a few other things. So I had little left.

With the money in my possession, I thought about starting my US but decided to shelve the idea because the money would not be enough and I would have no money left. But as luck would have it, in late 2020, I got another HR job on the Island with a pay of about two hundred thousand naira (#200,000). I took the job and left for Lagos again. The job came with a lot of mandatory expenses which usually left me with little after the expenses. From the little I set aside, I started using what would have been my savings, including the money I borrowed from friends, to finance applications to schools in the US. After about nine months, I resigned from this job again in September 2021 and left Lagos for Ogun State. This was a big risk as I was still expecting decisions on my applications.
please what’s the link to the survey ooo… trenches is killing me

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Angrygoat: 9:05pm On Feb 05, 2023
They dont carry coke by plane in yankee,they redistribute. esp a drug conection between the supplier and the dealer.,resell,repackage and add some ingrdients to boost the coke kilo on scale,with aim to resell at higher price,meaning higher profit. Welcome to drug inc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCwdJS5Sd-k

Ebubu:
how well are yankee coke carriers paid
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by eben97: 9:06pm On Feb 05, 2023
fuelsaver:
Please don't stop. I am sharing with my son to encourage him. He lost his admission into FUOYE Ekiti state because I couldn't pay for his fees. Last year November he resigned from his job with a coca cola depot in Ikorodu to get himself ready to sit for another JAMB. After informing his employer of his resignation he became very sick to the extent that all hope was lost but God restored his health and I promised him that God will send help to ensure he goes back to university. I gave him my last N15k two weeks ago to register for JAMB and I know God who restore health to him will make a way for him to go to university.
MAY D LORD EM POWER U D MORE financially to act like parent indeed to him.may the lord also help him to get stronger by each day.please let him be strong and courageous,people withoot parents make it in life. determination and focus is d major key

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by omoluabiguy: 9:08pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
Thanks for the well wishes. But I will not suffer again sir. Not even Nigeria could stop me. There will always be a way. If you're in the US, let's connect.

I don’t mean suffer in a bad way but in a realistic way, if you are on a non immigrant status in America, my guy you go face am ooo, but again I believe in your hustle spirit. My story is similar to yours and I came here on a student visa too, bursted my a** in college, ended up learning programming skills, graduated and got good paying jobs, then the reality of changing status set in, that my friend, is another stage 3 level which is “changing your status” lol. Anyways sha, story long before I ended up becoming a citizen. Suffer is not a bad wish at all, it’s one of the requirements of achieving the American dream as a non immigrant from Naija. You’ll be fine tho.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by OlawaleBammie: 9:09pm On Feb 05, 2023
Mrtaye:

Wow never knew it was that cheap then
tins were cheap in Nigeria untill badluck who called himself buhari took over

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

Lion Attacks & Kills An Antelope While Tourists Watch From Their Cars (photos) / My 30 Days Sojourn Through Cotonou To Dubai / American Tourist Describes Nigeria After Spending 12 Days In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.